PDA

View Full Version : Paula Radcliffe :(

Opar
27-08-04, 21:16
Poor Paula, she just dropped out of the 10,000 metres :( I feel sorry for her :\ After all she's done for British distance running :o

Oh well, I guess she'll be back for the London/Chicago marathons in 2005. Set another world record :)

Spikadelia
27-08-04, 21:42
Sorry I don't share your sentiments. She's a weepy, self-pitying drama queen indulged by the BBC. Runs a damn site quicker than me for the bus though.

Holmes is the boss.

Ryuben
27-08-04, 21:43
Sorry I don't share your sentiments. She's a weepy, self-pitying drama queen indulged by the BBC. Runs a damn site quicker than me for the bus though.

Holmes is the boss.

wtf i would like to see you done what shes done and go threw what shes gone threw !

ezza
27-08-04, 21:45
wtf i would like to see you done what shes done and go threw what shes gone threw !
the diffrence is she is trained to run the distance where spike there aint

Opar
27-08-04, 21:47
Sorry I don't share your sentiments. She's a weepy, self-pitying drama queen indulged by the BBC.

How the fuck can you say that?

What would you do if you had worked for something for more than half of your life, only to be denied first time round because of the WEATHER, and STILL run most of the 10,000m? Would you not be a LITTLE upset? Indulged by the BBC? All I have to say is, to quote Oath...

How fucking ignorant can you possibly be?

Spikadelia
27-08-04, 21:49
Think about how many athletes trained damn hard, made sacrifices, did the best they could. Didn't get the medal they dreamed of, maybe didn't even qualify for the final. Imagine if they all broke down and wept, they could fill an Olympic swimming pool several times over. Did they? No thank god.

Boohoo.

Opar
27-08-04, 22:02
Think about how many athletes trained damn hard, made sacrifices, did the best they could. Didn't get the medal they dreamed of, maybe didn't even qualify for the final. Imagine if they all broke down and wept, they could fill an Olympic swimming pool several times over. Did they? No thank god.

Boohoo.

Were they favourites? Were they world record holders? Were they EXPECTED to produce the goods?

Paula had the expectations of the country on her shoulders, she held the world record, she'd won pretty much all marathons shes competed in.

Gutted.

Dirk_Gently
27-08-04, 22:20
Were they favourites?

She wasn't the favourite. The Japanese Girl who won it was the favourite.
The conditions were never going to suit Paula Radcliffe and if you looked at the foreign media you would have found that out.

It's good that she was upset. Professional athletes should be bloody upset if they don't win. All of the ones who don't react like that are the disgrace. Losing has to really hurt otherwise you will never reach the top.

Spikadelia
27-08-04, 22:21
Opar I'm sorry you're so affected. You always strike me with the smarts you bring to the forum on a lot of topics. I just don't share what I think is an inappropriate amount of compassion for her as oppose to all the other athletes going through the same tests of skill and character. You're right she had a huge amount of expectation on her shoulders though, her own and a lot of other peoples.

Anyway here's to the achievements and sporting excellence of the games, irrespective of race, creed, colour and in the case of the bulgarian weightlifters... height.

Dribble Joy
27-08-04, 22:22
That said, the BBC (and the rest of the british media) really did lay it on thick.

MrChumble
27-08-04, 22:24
I'm pretty underwhelmed by the whole thing. I couldn't run 10000 metres to save my life, let alone a marathon...but if you've spent the last 4 years training to do it then giving up twice seems a bit lame. At least limp in last :rolleyes:

Glorfindel
27-08-04, 22:26
Im drunk 8|

Birkoff
27-08-04, 22:40
The favorite has never won :(

Biznatchy
27-08-04, 22:42
Its only 7.5 miles for christ sake. Americans run this thing in boston each year that is about 30 miles longer. Dont let the 10k thing scare you I ran one for a charity event back in the navy. I didnt in fact beat the marines that ran it as a platoon.

MrChumble
27-08-04, 22:42
The favorite has never won :(They do generally finish though, unless their leg falls off or something.

Its only 7.5 miles for christ sake. Americans run the thing in boston each year that is about 30 miles longer. Dont let the 10k thing scare you I ran one for a charity event back in the navy. I didnt in fact beat the marines that ran it as a platoon.

Yes but you have to keep in mind that I'm lazy. Back in the day I could jog 7km over rough terrain, and amble a lot more than that. These days I do 10 lengths of a 50m swimming pool and give myself a pat on the back :D

greendonkeyuk
27-08-04, 22:56
christ man id do about 4 lengths and sink to the bottom like a brick. i felt sorry for her for messing up tbh. Every person whos ever known defeat at something has always appreciated the feeling of success after completing a task, it could be a child taking its first steps or an olympic athlete running a marathon in stifling heat. Without the bitter taste of defeat in your mouth how the hell do you ever get the motivation to succeed.

Personally i think it will be more interesting to see what she does next rather than commenting on her current performances. When the media turns off its cameras and life returns to normal, how will she cope then. at least she will have time to reflect and get herself sorted out and go do what shes good at all over again.

I do agree though, kelly holmes is the shizzle.

-REMUS-
27-08-04, 23:25
Its only 7.5 miles for christ sake. Americans run this thing in boston each year that is about 30 miles longer. Dont let the 10k thing scare you I ran one for a charity event back in the navy. I didnt in fact beat the marines that ran it as a platoon.

Yeah but she runs that 7.5 miles faster than you could ever do it or those fat yanks. Its not the distance, its the pace she runs.

I have whole hearted sympathy for her, shes a brave and talented girl that has a superb natural ability and undoubtably the best in the world at her sport. But she obviously didnt do enough training in that type of heat (35 celcius+). Over 10k at normal tempratures shes the best.

-=BlackBeard=-
27-08-04, 23:27
yeah i feel sorry for her

virgil caine
29-08-04, 04:30
They do generally finish though, unless their leg falls off or something.

Yes but you have to keep in mind that I'm lazy. Back in the day I could jog 7km over rough terrain, and amble a lot more than that. These days I do 10 lengths of a 50m swimming pool and give myself a pat on the back :D

Me thinks you may have realized like me that you also have a favorite chair : )

Endar
29-08-04, 09:27
OMG watching olympics or any sport from TV is sooo lame...

BTW Anyone heard about "bullworker"? I can tell you its worth of its price (if you are not training to lift weights that is). Just buy it and punching bag and you are ready to get your self in shape :)

sanityislost
29-08-04, 09:31
OMG watching olympics or any sport from TV is sooo lame...

BTW Anyone heard about "bullworker"? I can tell you its worth of its price (if you are not training to lift weights that is). Just buy it and punching bag and you are ready to get your self in shape :)

eh.....if i took it would it been one of those "BEEFCAKE!!!!BEEEEEEFCAKE!!!one" moments? :p

SiL ..:..