PDA

View Full Version : This wasn't supposed to happen yet...

Nanook
27-08-04, 20:44
http://www.optware.co.jp/english/what_040823.htm

So it has started :)

Quote from NC History:

The Way to Apocalypse (2005 - 2143)

Holographic mass storage media are introduced to the world market. The Holodisk is scanned with a laser and even the introductory model can contain amounts of data which are more than 100 times bigger than the maximum capacity of conventional mass media based on magnetic fields.

Edit: too cryptic title

QuantumDelta
27-08-04, 21:03
Erm.

It's a technology anyone could have seem coming.
Optical/Holographic storage is some of the most efficient memory management possible.

Biological storage is the only thing more massive.

--
Biological storage, however is completely impossible to tap at this point in time :P

Nanook
27-08-04, 21:04
Yeah but an amusing coincidence one could say :D

Vampire222
27-08-04, 21:07
Hope They make a Holo Harddisk soon... i need more space.... should prove adequate

QuantumDelta
27-08-04, 21:09
Hope They make a Holo Harddisk soon... i need more space.... should prove adequate
They're trying to make 1mbit broadband standard in the uk o.O

Lachlan
27-08-04, 21:13
It's not a year early.. the history says 2005 is when it was introduced to the world market..I give it at least that until the technology is perfected enough to be sold commerically.

Nanook
27-08-04, 21:18
I was going to change title to something more suitable and less cryptic but it seems I can't :confused:

seraphian
27-08-04, 21:20
Biological storage is the only thing more massive.
--
Biological storage, however is completely impossible to tap at this point in time :P

ah, yes and no...

we can accurately read DNA, the issue is in transmission control, preventing data corruption when you're copying the DNA...

But a cube of DNA 2cm cubic could carry the entire library of congress...

Benjie
27-08-04, 21:27
It looks so sexy.

http://www.optware.co.jp/images/1st_movie_disc.jpg

Dribble Joy
27-08-04, 21:31
DNA storage is indeed massive, however the read speed currently and even in the future will be shite, simply due to the physics involved.

Holographic storage has been on the cards for AGES, there are universities all over the world working on it.
Data storage research had densities of 20 gigs per side of disk 5 years ago.

Spermy
27-08-04, 21:57
DNA storage is indeed massive, however the read speed currently and even in the future will be shite, simply due to the physics involved.

Holographic storage has been on the cards for AGES, there are universities all over the world working on it.
Data storage research had densities of 20 gigs per side of disk 5 years ago.

Imagine whacking that in ur cd player!

CkVega
27-08-04, 23:34
The holo storage thingy looks good :)

Don't like the idea of a lump of living matter in my PC, imagine what it would smell like if it went off 8|

Marx
27-08-04, 23:51
I find this more interesting:

US Army's Tactical High Energy Laser Shoots Down Mortar Rounds (http://www.spacedaily.com/news/laser-04r.html)

The Tactical High Energy Laser, built by Northrop Grumman for the US Army, shot down multiple mortar rounds Aug. 24, proving that laser weapons could be applied on the battlefield to protect against common threats.

Cerbious
28-08-04, 00:00
the timing with the NC history is kinda worrying lol.

2008 Nasa succeeds in conducting a manned mission to mars.

anyone roughly know how long til this happens in our time? lol it wont be long thats for sure.

Spermy
28-08-04, 00:04
So theres this new guy down the street...

Calls himself ceres...

*Looks out of window*

He's building summat now...

alig
28-08-04, 00:06
They're trying to make 1mbit broadband standard in the uk o.O

We still get shit speeds anyway no matter what connection we use. One american i know gets about 400kb/sec on his 1mb line downloading from europe while me on my 1.5mb line get 195kb/sec

I think we would need to spend how ever much T3 costs to have speeds even remotely fast compared to the rest of the world.

QuantumDelta
28-08-04, 00:11
We still get shit speeds anyway no matter what connection we use. One american i know gets about 400kb/sec on his 1mb line downloading from europe while me on my 1.5mb line get 195kb/sec

I think we would need to spend how ever much T3 costs to have speeds even remotely fast compared to the rest of the world.

400kb/sec kinda defeats the point of calling it 1mbit...

edit;
Either that, or he's lying to you.

Dribble Joy
28-08-04, 00:18
Most connections are capable of speeds far in excess of what you get, there could be a glitch somewhere, where the restrictions have been removed.

alig
28-08-04, 00:22
Well he aint gunna lie about the speeds he gets :p its not like ill love him ....

Nah dribble, i asked on here and supposedly 200kb/sec is normal for 1.5mb line in UK. I still get just little under 1mb/sec when downloading on steam though :D

Dribble Joy
28-08-04, 00:31
I meant the yank.
400k/s on a 1 mb line is like.... 3 times the normal speed.

200k/s on a 1.5 mb line sounds right, I used to get 160 on my 1 mb cable last year.

Steam? enlighten teh dribble.

Marx
28-08-04, 00:35
the timing with the NC history is kinda worrying lol.

2008 Nasa succeeds in conducting a manned mission to mars.

anyone roughly know how long til this happens in our time? lol it wont be long thats for sure.
It wouldn't take that long.

For NASA? It will. It's our Senates' favorite whipping boy.

alig
28-08-04, 00:37
As in Valve's Steam network.

Edited out low speed picture for new one!!! 8|

lmao.

Mattimeo
28-08-04, 01:51
I love my 3mb down cable. I just wish my up was higher.

QuantumDelta
28-08-04, 11:41

lmao.
I get weird errors like that on my 1.5mbit and on my 768 kbit, it's odd, CS is "380ish mb" yet I downloaded it in less than 15 minutes.... on 768kbit...
I tbh think it's steam bein stupid :P

Jesterthegreat
28-08-04, 11:50

lmao.

i really could not imagine a northoner who gets his kicks out of killing everyone having loads of Busted on his playlist o.o

QuantumDelta
28-08-04, 11:52
I wasn't gonna draw attention to that....

alig
28-08-04, 11:52
Lol you mofo's :p

Jesterthegreat
28-08-04, 11:54
whenever your on vent you have house or something on... i just didnt see you as a pop lover :p

*cough* carebear *cough*

:p

alig
28-08-04, 12:00
Yeah i listen to house/dance/trance n' shit but i have a soft spot for Busted lol o_O my bro takes the piss too.... :(

Jesterthegreat
28-08-04, 12:05
Yeah i listen to house/dance/trance n' shit but i have a soft spot for Busted lol o_O my bro takes the piss too.... :(

theres a reason... its busted :p

ah well. im so bored. i stupidly packed all my chars for doy and now none of them are usable o.o