PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion to KK for Open Beta download.

Psycho_Soldier
27-08-04, 18:51
Make it so that we can download it like tomorrow but we won't be able to make our accounts till the 5th that way you can make sure everyone has it on the 5th and it should be easier on bandwidth. Also put it up for download on BiTTorrent.

joran420
27-08-04, 18:57
putting it up before we can make beta accts is a good idea to avoid swamping the servers....but bittorrent is slow

Psycho_Soldier
27-08-04, 18:59
putting it up before we can make beta accts is a good idea to avoid swamping the servers....but bittorrent is slow

BT is only slow if there aren't many seeders. All KK needs to do is setup a couple fast servers to seed it. I have downloaded pretty fast off of BT several times so I think it would be good for those who have no problem with BT like me.

Scarus
27-08-04, 19:00
No, yes it makes sense.. but they wont do it, im sure someone will find a way to go through all the Neocron 2 files and since there is no NDA for open beta they can tell the whole Neocron community with no consequences.

It is a great idea to save bandwidth, although if it's on a torrent, it shouldnt really matter.

-Scarus

Psycho_Soldier
27-08-04, 19:01
No, yes it makes sense.. but they wont do it, im sure someone will find a way to go through all the Neocron 2 files and since there is no NDA for open beta they can tell the whole Neocron community with no consequences.

It is a great idea to save bandwidth, although if it's on a torrent, it shouldnt really matter.

-Scarus

With open beta so close away, I don't see why they would actually care.

Scarus
27-08-04, 19:03
True.. I know what u mean aswell, it'll be hell waiting for Neocron 2 to download and oh my god.. patch lol..

It makes sense, allows people to play it as soon as they get their account, but I just dont think KK will do it.

-Scarus

Jonax
27-08-04, 19:06
It makes sense as well - Considering the number of beta testers, getting a copy of the beta client through BT should be fast considering the number of potential seeders :)

Let's just wait until KK say something though ;)

Gohei
27-08-04, 19:08
Good idea.

Promethius
27-08-04, 19:13
i Think its a great idea to be able to download the client now. Would rather have it at my comp and not be able to play it, than waiting ages for it to download when EVERYONE starts downloading it.

5 stars

-Prom

Jailbird
27-08-04, 19:21
if you can DL then its possible that with certain programs you can access NC2 files and skins which should be a breach of the NDA (DNA rofl :p )

It will also open the door too early for the uber haxors and exploiters :p

Psycho_Soldier
27-08-04, 19:23
My god I am only asking for one week or so in advance download, not the source code and directions on how to make uber GM hax... What does the NDA matter if the shit is gonna be released in a week and couple days anyway? Why try and be so negative?

Jonax

End of retail's too early for the haxors and exploiters, let alone open beta ;)

Promethius
if you can DL then its possible that with certain programs you can access NC2 files and skins which should be a breach of the NDA (DNA rofl :p )

Honestly thats always a threat and giving someone an extra week or so isn't going to change much. Also wasn't the beta already released to a group of people? Theres always the CHANCE that some of them could be these potential 'hackers'.

btw off topic but i heard this today and I enjoyed it. Did you kno that your 16 times for likely to die on your way to buying a lottery ticket than actually winning it?

-Prom

Jailbird
27-08-04, 19:28
btw off topic but i heard this today and I enjoyed it. Did you kno that your 16 times for likely to die on your way to buying a lottery ticket than actually winning it?

-Prom

In the US :lol:

joran420
27-08-04, 19:34
did you know vending machines kill more ppl than sharks?

Promethius
27-08-04, 19:38

how? from its poisonous delicious candy? or is it kinda like the monkey effect, where theres candy and they grab it but can't get there hand out of the machine while holding the candy yet, not smart enough to drop candy to get their hand out, and eventually die of starvation or dehydration?

-Prom

joran420
27-08-04, 19:41
mostly by crushing them...but im sure a few starved and got tainted goods

Psycho_Soldier
27-08-04, 19:42
mostly by crushing them...but im sure a few starved and got tainted goods

Can you guys please get back on topic...

Xizor
27-08-04, 19:47
Good idea. I know I would much perfer getting to download it a week before I could use it because then I would be able to start playing when it went live.
Also if I'm going for 2+gig dl and it's going slow because of bw limits at like 2kb/s we would need a lot of time to actually get it done :p

-REMUS-
27-08-04, 19:51
plz plz plz plz plz do this KK, think of the 56ker's!!!!! (me)

dark_reaper
27-08-04, 19:52
Ahhh, when vending machines attack. They also have a problem of giving people electricution.

Promethius
27-08-04, 20:07

I was 56k for so long, (i loved those 10 mb patches...) Take me forever to dl them.

When your cuddly vending machin turns Wild on "When Vending machines attack part II". Hungry fat man, crushed by 400 lb vending machine. To be continued...

-Prom

Shadow Dancer
27-08-04, 22:25

Are you serious?

Is the lottery one true too?

Oh btw, 5 stars to this thread. I think it's a great idea.

Tostino
27-08-04, 23:19
They said in the FAQ that they would be compiling a new client for open beta as well as retail.

Possessed
27-08-04, 23:28
Me too, I might even bother to d/l the client if they release it in the next few days.

Terayon
28-08-04, 00:10
yar i dont like bittorent. its slow becouse people get special clients and mess with the upload speeds. i ALWAYS upload 3x or more then i download.

but ya i think they should offer it now aswell :)

rob444
28-08-04, 12:00
Bittorrent isnt really a bad idea, I remember blizzard having bittorrent on their website to download the trailers of WoW (worked great).

Jesterthegreat
28-08-04, 12:07
if BT gets its speed from other users with the file (or something? i dont understand it :p) then everyone downloading at ince is good :p

amfest
28-08-04, 13:08
I guess it doesn't matter really but I always find it sorta funny how people just want to be the first really fast and in neocron's case I think people will rush to get a clan started then get the whole map hacked as quickly as possible. lol.

Are you serious?

Is the lottery one true too?

Oh btw, 5 stars to this thread. I think it's a great idea.I'm sure it can be true for the vendor one. Those things weigh alot and Imagine this. How many times have you seen a snack or something get caught as it was just "almost" about to fall out and watch as people shake it or maybe even yourself. Now imagine a real dumbass that shakes the machine so hard that they actually tip it over on themselves. ;)

if BT gets its speed from other users with the file (or something? i dont understand it :p) then everyone downloading at ince is good :p
Torrent files are downloaded in chunks. It can be one file or multiple files. It doesn't really matter. So as you get a chunk you begin to upload it to other people (unless you have or know how to set it to "not" upload at all). Seeds are people who contain the full file and send it typically to 4 or so people at a time. If they set their client to superseed though they will send to everyone at the same time in increments and if there is only that one seeder on everyone will finish the torrent file at one time. Which really sucks if they use up all their bandwidth for everyone and you end up with speeds like 0.2kb/s ;) and have to wait 5 days for that torrent to finish ;)

Nidhogg
28-08-04, 14:02
Check out this FAQ (http://dessent.net/btfaq/) for more details on how BitTorrent works and how to configure your system for the best download speed.

N

sPooT
28-08-04, 14:41
I use Azureus (http://azureus.sourceforge.net/) myself, it's a really nice BitTorrent Client, but it's quite heavy on your system. If you don't mind that though, it's a really good one :)

Oh and the speed is gonna be allright, WoW movies and patches are distributed over BT too and they are fast as hell, I cap my DL speed 100% of the time (about 120kb/sec) on them.

Omnituens
28-08-04, 14:42
Winnah. been loking for a client that didnt crash my computer.

Big up for the Nidhogg!

Weaponizer
28-08-04, 14:58
Yes! Distribution over Bittorrent is an excellent idea. I use the Azureus client myself. This post deserves 5 stars :D

rob444
28-08-04, 15:35
Also make that the one that uploads most gets 300k in nc2 :p

Crackitakk
30-08-04, 10:20
its already up on bittorrent i downloaded it and its just waiting for an account

mishkin
30-08-04, 13:53
Well, I found it on a torrent too, so got it like a week ago :p

Bittorrent is a good way to distribute stuff... although, just putting it on the ftp a few days before the start would lighten the load a bit imo :)

cMz
30-08-04, 13:57
If you found a client somewhere, you will still need to download a new one.

Will it be possible to use the open beta client for the upgrade to Neocron 2?

Unfortunately this will not be possible, as we will be compiling a new client for the release to avoid forcing new players to immediately download a large amount of patches. The same is valid for the open beta, a new client will be required.

Taken from this page: http://www.neocron.com/index.php?name=NeoContent&op=modload&file=index&pageID=270