PDA

View Full Version : [Brainport] How to keep the Economy stable idea

garyu69
27-08-04, 15:53
There is thread hanging there about whining or something and about item whipe.. anyway got me thinking how to keep a control over the economy.

How about a tax. Like in the UK the more cash you earn the more you get taxed.

so.... thoughts?

SilentEye
27-08-04, 15:55
So then I have this friend of mine which is low and get him to do my shopping? :s

Dribble Joy
27-08-04, 15:58
Without some form of aproximation to a 'real' economy, there will allways be people with masses of cash that does nothing but inflate the trading system.

Setting the total amount of cash in the economy at a fixed value (per runner)and splitting it between the factions, with item-sale/buy/mission prices auto matically regulated, we could keep the economy in check.

Benjie
27-08-04, 16:03
So then I have this friend of mine which is low and get him to do my shopping? :s
For tips of course. After all a rich person would be a bastard if he didn't tip a low level player for buying things cheap.
The tax should be based on overall income of all four characters and not individual income.

BloodLetting
27-08-04, 16:11
So are you saying just a sales tax or like a monthly income tax on the account and the amount of money the account has and the tax gets lower and stops at a certain lvl ?

garyu69
27-08-04, 16:20
a tax say weekly RL time which would take some cash dependent on your current amount of cash.

i.e. 0 - 200k 0%
200k - 500k 3%
500k - 1mil 5%

etc etc, you get the idea.

retr0n
27-08-04, 16:22
a tax say weekly RL time which would take some cash dependent on your current amount of cash.

i.e. 0 - 200k 0%
200k - 500k 3%
500k - 1mil 5%

etc etc, you get the idea.

It has to be alot more then that to actually be effective. And then the really
rich would still not get affected much because they will simply get themselves
a shitload of items instead of holding cash, while the "poor" players will suffer
from taxes...

It will be just like in real life :p

Biznatchy
27-08-04, 16:43
NO any enconomy in anygame should be there for the ones that enjoy that sort of thing but not a required element to enjoy the game.

garyu69
27-08-04, 16:49
a shitload of items instead of holding cash, while the "poor" players will suffer
from taxes...

those numbers were just an example. Obviously they would need to be altered.

ezza
27-08-04, 16:49
from taxes...

rofl aint that the way damn them rich people

anyway KK are bringing more stuff to spend cash on in NC2, for a start we have the apartments furniture stuff which iirc from what thanatos said, is going to be expensive stuff.

im sure those bomber things are gonna cost a bomb :p as well

and KK have proberbly got a few more things coming to spend that moneyon.

not sure i like the tax idea tbh, i was never a person who had much money anyway, and tax to high, money becomes pointless to the opposite scale and people would be back to tech trading rather than cash as its too much hassle when your getting taxed up to your neck.

sanityislost
27-08-04, 17:16
kk should just have a max level of cash allowed on a server, when it hits that
level make the prices for high level items and ammo fors mods go up till the cash
drops down

SiL ..:..

sshrul
27-08-04, 17:35
The money is out of controll because of the epic items ex. PPR going for 50 million that's F$#@ crazy on Saturn. PPR and a Moveon Hec. ete. so why not have it like this: a PPR and Moveon cancel themself out. Something like the CA copbot suit or what every it's call can not be trade so why not have the chips cancel themself out.

You can do it with some of the other to like a Hec and a Marine will not work together so you would have to come up with a different combo and maybe some of the TL's would have to be dropped something like that, just an idea.

ezza
27-08-04, 17:41
The money is out of controll because of the epic items ex. PPR going for 50 million that's F$#@ crazy on Saturn. PPR and a Moveon Hec. ete. so why not have it like this: a PPR and Moveon cancel themself out. Something like the CA copbot suit or what every it's call can not be trade so why not have the chips cancel themself out.

You can do it with some of the other to like a Hec and a Marine will not work together so you would have to come up with a different combo and maybe some of the TL's would have to be dropped some like that, just an idea.
nah the money is out of control because some people duped money or they used the troop carrier exploit to make themselves a fortune

mishkin
27-08-04, 17:48
A regulated fixed amount of available cash is the only answer. Have it change according to the current population on the server. Set it to update once a week, for instance when the server goes down...

Dynamic prizes for vendor-items is another solution, that could be bound to this. If someone makes say 100 APCs, the prices would go down for each unit he sells to a vendor (to where the parts cost more than the actual vehicle)... this at least would keep it from being exploited...

Dirk_Gently
27-08-04, 18:01
The problem with the economy is inflation. Tax may help to partially solve his however it is a very complex method of doing things. Instead of levying a tax just reduce rewards etc by X%.

How about you only get rewards for mobs killed within X distance from the person who is paying you. i.e. if CA are paying it you only get rewards for things within the city.......if DoY pay it then the mobs have to be in their city. No rewards for killing Wasteland Mobs would have a much better effect than a tax.

Dynamic prizes for vendor-items is another solution, that could be bound to this. If someone makes say 100 APCs, the prices would go down for each unit he sells to a vendor (to where the parts cost more than the actual vehicle)... this at least would keep it from being exploited...

Yep that is a very good idea. Like in Pirates where prices depended on how much of a good the vendor had available.

JPH
27-08-04, 18:23
So what would be the reason for this as far as the story goes? Cash needed for the ongoing war? I like the idea and something does need to be done to prevent the economy getting out of control again. I can see a lot of problems with tax though.

If a runner earns 300k and has a break from the game for a few months for whatever reason (which people do a lot), then will he get taxed for all the weeks he's missed? That would cripple him/her.
So if we say runners not being used for a certain period don't get taxed then we have an expoit waiting to happen where runners pass their money to a second account or alt so it can sit there until needed.

Scarus
27-08-04, 18:24
That system would only work (prices going down with the more sold to vendors) if they had a finite supply of items, at the moment the price would just stay low forever.

KK are introducing cash sinks, we all know that so people should just wait and see, at the moment we dont know much about NC2 and so we can speculate and rumour but we'll never know what they have up their sleeves, so they could have fixed everything, and all these suggestions would be useless. (hahah.. no seriously just wait, we can hope.. right?)

I dont think taxes should be taken for just having money, taxes for owning app's (not including starter), vehicles... maybe, but most taxes are based on things like emissions.. and who is going to care if their vehicle gives off x amount of CO2 if the atmosphere is already fum bucked.

-Scarus

Dirk_Gently
27-08-04, 18:28
So what would be the reason for this as far as the story goes? Cash needed for the ongoing war? I like the idea and something does need to be done to prevent the economy getting out of control again. I can see a lot of problems with tax though.

If a runner earns 300k and has a break from the game for a few months for whatever reason (which people do a lot), then will he get taxed for all the weeks he's missed? That would cripple him/her.
So if we say runners not being used for a certain period don't get taxed then we have an expoit waiting to happen where runners pass their money to a second account or alt so it can sit there until needed.

You can't tax the cash that people have. youw ould have to tax the cash people earn.......at which point it gets too complicated.

seraphian
27-08-04, 19:06
Setting the total amount of cash in the economy at a fixed value (per runner)and splitting it between the factions, with item-sale/buy/mission prices auto matically regulated, we could keep the economy in check.

problem here is, someone manages to make a million, now that money is out of circulation... so everyone else can barely afford a medkit while a few guys sit on fortunes...

I think just a few adjustments and a supply-demand model for NPC vendors would work just fine.

Lareolan
27-08-04, 22:25
Unless we get tax refunds, tax write-offs and corporate taxation (basically at least a very simplistic aproximation of real life economic taxation) then this is a BAD idea. Because it's pretty much like Communism was in Russia (I should know, I've lived there :D ). Everyone is allowed to be poor, very few can be "ok" and no one is allowed to be rich (unless they bribe someone, a corrupt GM in this instance).

Birkoff
27-08-04, 22:44
Money is only out of control b/c of the money dupe and b/c APCs in the past.

Money won't as bigger problem in the future hopefully.

Mattimeo
27-08-04, 22:57
Money is only out of control b/c of the money dupe and b/c APCs in the past.

Money won't as bigger problem in the future hopefully.

Actually money is out of control because you don't need it after a certain point, you can clone everything you could possibly need.

greendonkeyuk
27-08-04, 23:00
if you want to slow down the inflation remove the barter skill. Thats the simplest most direct course of action for short term gain. Sure people will still get to make Apc keys etc and make cash but not the kind of silly money that they could make with that.

taxation, i dont know, seems kind of complicated to me, id rather like to see some form of non-game affecting items for people to buy with their riches, like houses in uo, maybe decorations for inside your appartment in nc. maybe some uber rare portrait of yourself on your wall or something, something in full pvp mode. you know pain easer blazing, stacked bodies at your feet, the lead flying, shell casings everywhere... real action hero type stuff. That would be cool i thnk.

joran420
27-08-04, 23:09
i think the best is to have a set ammount of currency in game and thats it......

Mattimeo
27-08-04, 23:16
if you want to slow down the inflation remove the barter skill. Thats the simplest most direct course of action for short term gain. Sure people will still get to make Apc keys etc and make cash but not the kind of silly money that they could make with that.

taxation, i dont know, seems kind of complicated to me, id rather like to see some form of non-game affecting items for people to buy with their riches, like houses in uo, maybe decorations for inside your appartment in nc. maybe some uber rare portrait of yourself on your wall or something, something in full pvp mode. you know pain easer blazing, stacked bodies at your feet, the lead flying, shell casings everywhere... real action hero type stuff. That would be cool i thnk.

I've said it lots of times. Take out Cloning, take out bartering and balance the prices of perishable goods like ammo, healthpacks, psi boosters etc with this model, and you've helped the economy a great deal already.

Other money sinks are a good idea (such as high value furniture etc) but there also needs to be a cash sink that people can't avoid, otherwise the problem will still be there.

Edit: Also, having a set amount of cash allowed to be in circulation doesn't work, because eventually the people avoiding the cash sinks end up with all the money and the entire economy crashes.