PDA

View Full Version : Neocrons PCGAMEWORLD review...

Coid
27-08-04, 04:37
Yet another MMORPG has landed on my desk. However, this time the game is cleverly disguised as a first person shooter.

Neocron is set in a futuristic apocalyptic world that has been demolished by war. Now the Earth’s population is forced to live under protective domes, while mutants and such roam the outer regions. The story is obviously nothing new, but the environment will immerse you to the extent that you will likely forget about the story and be in total awe of the futuristic sights surrounding you.

You begin your journey into Neocron by creating your character, and selecting the class you would like to play as. There are four in all: Private eye, Psi-monk, Spy, and Gen-Tank. With each class comes different abilities, but this is where the game reaches its first hurdle.

Regardless of which class you choose, your missions will be generic and boring. Prepare to spend countless hours in the sewers, killing off vermin for credits. The only other option at this point is to pick up and deliver packages, which is dull at best.

None of the missions are class specific. There are no stealth missions for the spies, and no muscle flexing battles for the Gen-tanks. At this point, the only thing to do in the game is to kill rodents and run simple errands for one of the game’s factions.

Once you select a class, you must select to join one of the thirteen factions in the game. Each faction has a lengthy history if you choose to read it, but that could take hours. Besides, the faction you choose doesn’t seem to affect anything about the game except where your player lives.

Now, back to the impressive world that the developers have created. NPCs populate every dark corner of the game world. Strip clubs bustle with perverted activity, announcements and advertisements can be heard over distant intercoms (reminiscent of Blade Runner), and flying vehicles will zip and dart overhead. It is an engaging world that will suck you in, and keep you playing even after you have lost interest in the actual game.

The graphics are a little behind the times, appearing very much like Deus Ex, only not as polished. This both hurts and helps the game. It helps to add a gritty feel to the game world that would otherwise be missing. However, in some areas, the details are just too bland and lacking any sort of visual flair. Character models also suffer from low polygons, and wooden animation. Sometimes a character will move from point A to point B without moving any limb at all.

Player killing is not even an option in Neocron. Every player has a chip implanted into their brains preventing them from killing others. Because of this chip, you aren’t even allowed to pick up a loose backpack that may be lying in the streets. You do have the option of removing the chip, though there are copbots at every corner that will shoot you on site if you attempt to murder another player.

The play in the game is relatively smooth, with only minor hiccups here and there. There are also rare times that you may become stuck on certain structures and be forced to drop 1000 credits to spawn someplace else if possible. I became stuck on a desk at the beginning of my game, and even after starting my saved game, I was still stuck, so I had to create an entirely new character and start a new game. It was not pleasant.

Engaging in a fight is dull and lacking of any sort of excitement. Your foe will simply stand in one spot and exchange shots with you until one of you dies. There are no elaborate death animations, as he will simply keel over and fall to the ground like a wooden plank.

A Neofrag arena is available in the large city for a little laser tag action with other players. But due to the above mentioned problems, and the fact that you can only play simple deathmatch, this portion of the game is lame.

While I’ve given Neocron quite a lot of heat, not all is lost. The developers were able to create a fantastic world in which to play, and if they are able to add more variety to the missions, and fix the game’s current problems, then in the future this could possibly turn out to be a fun game. As for now, Neocron suffers from the same thing as most MMORPGs out there, a lack of things to do besides the monotonous.

Overal 6.5/10
kk maybe should look into some of these things ;)

garyu69
27-08-04, 05:01
which mag is that? is it UK?

Shadow Dancer
27-08-04, 05:26
How old is this review? It sounds like he played for about 5 minutes. :rolleyes:

Shujin
27-08-04, 05:27
tbh, it doesnt look like he even played the game... "player killing not even an option because copbots will shoot you"... umm wtf game was he playing.

and what character models move from point a to b without moving a limb...

the onlything i see that is really true is the limited fighting styles in neofrag and the lame missions.

tbh it looks like he read about 5 other game magazine reports instead of playing the game himself.

Clive tombstone
27-08-04, 05:31
This almost sounds "PRE-PRE-DoY"

you know, he doesnt seem to be taking into concideration the new stuff thats comming in

Come to think of it, i think ive seen this review befor a while ago, I could be wrong.

Jailbird
27-08-04, 05:34
It seems that he had played the game for a long time but some facts prove not. and I would like to comment on them :D

Because of this chip, you aren’t even allowed to pick up a loose backpack that may be lying in the streets.

their not urs !

I became stuck on a desk at the beginning of my game, and even after starting my saved game, I was still stuck, so I had to create an entirely new character and start a new game. It was not pleasant.

how about a /set reset_position 1? a kill self would serve you better though

Engaging in a fight is dull and lacking of any sort of excitement. Your foe will simply stand in one spot and exchange shots with you until one of you dies.

did you get D/C the moment you got attacked? O_o

While I’ve given Neocron quite a lot of heat....

you talking bout the 10 days trail?

Overal 6.5/10

only thing I could agree with you :D

Conclusion: to give a good review for a game you must try it for a while and check every part of it including OP fighting. Also you should interact with the players to know more about the game.

I think that guy doesnt deserve to write any reviews for any game. MMORPGs need alot of time of playing to give them a good review.

Drexel
27-08-04, 05:38
Game magazines should be banned from reviewing MMORPGS, if their gonna base their rating on their one hours experiance with the game, well its even worse than if they hadent reviewwd it at all.

Probably best if KK did not assist such people in reviewing the game, as unless someone actuall takes the time to see whats available, then well, as you saw, the last hafl of that shit didnt even sound like he was talking about Neocron.

Conversly.

His right on about Missions etc, the game is pretty lame when you simplify it.

& good thing he didnt get to experiance the hidden 563 bugs available to the normal gamer.

bleh, ive never cared about reviews anyway, just some lucky high school drop-out thats getting paid to do what the rest us schmos do everyday.

Lucas Anderson
27-08-04, 05:47
Im sorry, but I must say that is a shitty review... every player has a LE in making it impossible for PvP? lol what a fuckin moron... He made it sound like every class was exactly the same.. bah I agree I dont think this guy played the game at all, or if at all, for about 5-10 min MAX.

sanityislost
27-08-04, 05:47
the review is rather old (Jan 2003), tho even then he was still talking bullshit

http://www.pcgameworld.com/review.php/id/335/Neocron/

SiL ..:..

JustIn_Case
27-08-04, 10:02
Engaging in a fight is dull and lacking of any sort of excitement. Your foe will simply stand in one spot and exchange shots with you until one of you dies. There are no elaborate death animations, as he will simply keel over and fall to the ground like a wooden plank.

A Neofrag arena is available in the large city for a little laser tag action with other players. But due to the above mentioned problems

LOL, who the hell did he fight. He cant be talking about mobs since his statement applies to Neofrag aswell.

Hes correct about the fact that the missions suck, but the Epic runs aint that bad, still not class dependent.

We should e-mail some suggestion to that guy, 2 suggestions would be:

1. When you review an MMORPG you should read the official community forum to get a clue about how the game works.

2. When you review an MMORPG you should give it atleast 80hours of gameplay to get an clue.

Coid
27-08-04, 10:13
haha yea itss an old ass review but he has some good points about some of the stuff in there...

amfest
27-08-04, 11:10
and what character models move from point a to b without moving a limb...
This does happen . . . when you lag sometimes the player models appear to slide forward and back in 2003 there was some very very damn viscious laggage at times. They usually get the CD thrown at them with no real instruction manual I believe. So knowing reset position stuff doesnt' really happen as a newbie till you ask and find out. I'm sure they didn't really announce anything over the channels and was pressed for time so they of course have to rush through and flounder about. If you're not a power gamer and get missions and such with "crappy" weapons leveling is really damn slow if you're doing the sewer vermin missions. With all the leveling they'd try and do to get up they wouldn't have time to really explore and wouldn't find out about other parts of the game. Which is very sad.

Cubico
27-08-04, 11:24
I remember there was a review on mmorpg.com.

The author obviously played Neocron for only ten hours or less.
He said things like "If I want to buy a good rifle for 30 000 credits I have to do 1000 missions."
It seemed that he never left the city zones.

garyu69
27-08-04, 11:26
The only reason i started to play Neocron was because it was sent to me as a review copy. I started to write something up but then realised that there was so much more to this game than the time i had set aside for playing to review.

I ended up having a review which never got completed because i was never happy with it. Its basically sat unfinished somewhere but will never get completed now :(

Sleawer
27-08-04, 11:29
In January 2003 Neocron wasn't like that by a mile. What a moron.

I don't understand how can anyone have the guts to write a review without even playing the game seriously, let alone more than 5 minutes. It's a good way to declare yourself the moron of the year.

I have never read a non-biased review of NC written by a player who really knew the in-s and out-s of the game, which kinda pisses me off. If just for once the review was made by a player who spent 2+ years playing, and listed either the BAD and GOOD things with impartiality...

Well to be fair, there are some points in that review which show the truth, but still the lack of knowledge at that point of the game makes me wonder if it was intentional or pure luck.

juvestar15
27-08-04, 11:57
I seriously doubt that guy has had any professional training, in anything. This is why i don't read reviews. All these people that come out with "reviews" really have no clue at all. I wonder who hires these dickheads?

Genty
27-08-04, 13:05
http://members.gameworldnetwork.com/viewtopic.php?t=5595&highlight=neocron

Think that says it all really.