PDA

View Full Version : Black and White athletes

Opar
26-08-04, 19:27
NOTE : BEFORE YOU READ THIS, I DID NOT MAKE THIS POST TO SPARK RACISM OF ANY FORM, AND I MADE THIS POST BECAUSE OF AN ARTICLE I JUST READ. KTHX.

Okay, I just read a an interesting article (http://www.bestandworst.com/pages/voteresult/voteresult-1446.html) which talks about athletics, and how it appears Black athletes are superior to White athletes at things such as running and jumping.

Now, im a 14 year old white male, and I would like to think I'm pretty fast, having played Full-back/Left wing for my Rugby club for 3 years, and having a best 100m time of 12.11 seconds. I (almost :p) qualified for the ESAA national track and field championships but got beat, by who? By 4 very muscular coloured guys.

My point is, there is such a huge gap between Black and White athletes, that has no signs of being breached (or closed, whatever). Now, I just wanted to hear peoples opinions on this subject, im just curious.

Dribble Joy
26-08-04, 19:42
I know it sounds nasty/racist/whatever, but there IS a genetic difference still existing that makes black/coloured/african athletes superior in many discaplines.
In endurance sports, running, jumping, they perform better. Thier anerobic and twitch muscle power better than that of white people.

That said in the brute strength events, white people seem better.
Weight lifters, javlin throwers, discus, shotput, and hammers.

The genetic difference (acording to darwinian theory) might be that the people of the african area needed better endurance/sprinting skills in order to track prey over the plains.
The northern humans might have needed difference physical skills.

Glok
26-08-04, 19:48
Every time I have tried to argue that there are genetic differences between the races, I get called a racist by almost everyone, IRL and on forums... :rolleyes:

Vampire222
26-08-04, 19:52
Well imo its totally true, and its not rascist or something, because you are not saying their inferior to you, cause of their race... marathons and other running events (almost) always get won by african persons...

Jonax
26-08-04, 19:57
One way to analyse this properly would probably be to wait until the Olympics are done and look at the final results at who won what in terms of black & white athletes.

Having said that, it could be said that the recent results of Paula Radcliffe and Kelly Holmes could justify this theory (though experience of Athens' climate and the length of each athlete's races could probably explain it better)

MrChumble
26-08-04, 20:03
Perhaps, although the olympic medal tallies wouldn't seem to support the assertion. You also have to consider social issues; for example why are there so many great black boxers? It's probably as much to do with boxing being a route out of poverty, a way to take pride in yourself etc than it is to do with any form of genetics.

To quote an unaccredited quote from Bill Bryson's book 'A short history of nearly everything', "There's more [genetic] diversity in one social group of 55 chimps than in the entire human population". Or to put it more basically, we're all the same really :p

P4mp3rk3
26-08-04, 20:16
It's a fact that Africans produce more red blood cells than us (the pale guys). Therefor they are able to transport more air around their body, giving them a physical advantage in some things.
It's not racist at all...just a scientific fact.

EG: the runners from Kenia. I think that country is pretty high above sealevel, which means the air is thinner, so their body adapted a little. Sportsmen from Europe go to Africa/South-America to train in the mountains a couple of months before a big game allowing their body to make more red blood cells as well. We lose the effect after a while when we come back though. Their body just makes more blood cells ALL the time.

Clownst0pper
26-08-04, 20:27
From an english stand point, and again, I dont want to sound racist, but to me, viewing an american society for example.

There are waaay more black people who do sports and basket ball etc.

I think generally, white men cant jump, and british just suck

QuantumDelta
26-08-04, 21:04
There's a social side, as well as a genetic side.

The whole environment effecting things about 50% too mind you.

Endar
26-08-04, 22:20
I hate olympics... If I would like to read about them from I would buy a sport magazine, so why in the hell they have to but all that stupid sport stuff on fecking newspapers. I like MA, and there is nothing wrong in sports, but why they have to write 5 pages of some fecking olympics when I would like to read about Iraq and other stuff.

Oh yea sure the olympics are held once in 4 years.. So fecking what, I can go outside to take a walk when I feel like it...

Bleh.. Olympics... Blah... god i hate those stupid events...

Dirk_Gently
26-08-04, 23:11
I thought that this was going to be a special Olympic themed add-on for the game :(

MrChumble
26-08-04, 23:13
I hate olympics... If I would like to read about them from I would buy a sport magazine, so why in the hell they have to but all that stupid sport stuff on fecking newspapers. I like MA, and there is nothing wrong in sports, but why they have to write 5 pages of some fecking olympics when I would like to read about Iraq and other stuff.

Oh yea sure the olympics are held once in 4 years.. So fecking what, I can go outside to take a walk when I feel like it...

Bleh.. Olympics... Blah... god i hate those stupid events...
Interesting viewpoint. Personally I like them because they bring together the entire world to act together towards a common goal. They're a celebration of achievement and hard work, and generally symbolise the fact that humans don't actually spend their entire time working out new ways to kill each other.

Also I like to look at fit birds doing gymnastics and swimming, and I like to admire the men (in a very non-gay way :p) who have the types of bodies I'd have if I could drag my ass down to the pool more than twice a week.

They give me hope that the world isn't a totally rotten place and that life might actually be worth living.

Did I mention the fit birds?

Dirk_Gently
26-08-04, 23:14
I would like to read about Iraq

Just get a newspaper from some time last year.....it'll be near enough.

NS_CHROME54
27-08-04, 01:15
afaik, white people have more slow twitch muscles, so they're better off in marathons because those muscles use less energy over time. black athletes have more fast twitch muscles, which use more energy, but are also able to react quicker to impulse, thus making them better sprinters, and more proficient at sports that require quick bursts of energy.

Mumblyfish
27-08-04, 02:38
Because when you buy a good newspaper, the assumption is that you want to know about world events. Now, you may not have realised, but one HELL of a lot of people from around the world are really interested in the Olympics. Probably (well, definately) more than those that are interested in what's going on in Iraq.

Also, the Olympics is of great cultural significance. If you can't understand at least that much, sorry, but I pity you.