PDA

View Full Version : Regarding the German market etc

Dirk_Gently
23-08-04, 23:59
Found this article (http://uk.news.yahoo.com/040823/325/f0zb7.html) about Germans not buying violent video games:

Including this immortal line about the German games market

"Europe's least-developed games market".

I am not sure if I should congratulate kk for trying to develop this market or question why they are prioritising it for NC2 given that NC is rather violent.

Even if they are targeting the PC market which is the biggie........

Maybe I'm just still sulking :P

Genty
24-08-04, 00:04
I am not sure if I should congratulate kk for trying to develop this market or question why they are prioritising it for NC2 given that NC is rather violent.

I think it is pritty obvious why they are starting in Germany, it is their home market, they have a good grasp of what the people of Germany want to see on the advertising front and currently they only have a German publisher confirmed and fully sorted. Also home market is generally a good indicater on how things will unfold in other markets. It's cheaper to gradually release too.

Dirk_Gently
24-08-04, 00:07
I think it is pritty obvious why they are starting in Germany, it is their home market, they have a good grasp of what the people of Germany want to see on the advertising front and currently they only have a German publisher confirmed and fully sorted. Also home market is generally a good indicater on how things will unfold in other markets. It's cheaper to gradually release too.

I understand all the home market stuff but realeasing a game in a market that doesn't have high demand for that genre???

hmmmmmm

Ozambabbaz
24-08-04, 00:11
weird, germany's a giant gaming market with alot of powergamers, the country has got the infrastructure to back it up too. article is bullocks.

Genty
24-08-04, 00:13
I understand all the home market stuff but realeasing a game in a market that doesn't have high demand for that genre???

have high demand compared to what?

Dirk_Gently
24-08-04, 00:14
weird, germany's a giant gaming market with alot of powergamers, the country has got the infrastructure to back it up too. article is bullocks.

I had heard what the articles said before a number of times.

If you want German players you make Tetris online is the kind of thing that goes around ;)

Maybe MJS is starting a revolution!!!!!!! :D

have high demand compared to what?

UK and US would be the major ones as far as NC is concerned.

athon
24-08-04, 00:40
Most German's probably buy from abroad over the net due to the strict computer game sales laws they have there. (Unless, of course, they've repealed them or something - don't stay very up-to-date with such things).

Athon Solo

Genty
24-08-04, 00:43
Maybe MJS is starting a revolution!!!!!!! :D

Holgar is the boss man of KK now

UK and US would be the major ones as far as NC is concerned.

Exacally, so they wanna try out their campaign (and product) on a different market first, get it 100% sorted for releasing it to the "big boys"

jernau
24-08-04, 00:58

hmmmmmm
Depends how you define "high". I'm quite certain there are a LOT more than a few thousand Germans (ie current players) that would enjoy NC2 if they knew about it.

Also as Athon points out things may not be as they seem if you only look at sales figures. Don't forget most Germans have easy access to the other European markets which have different laws and until recently were probably a lot cheaper too.