PDA

View Full Version : Trouble in paradise

El_MUERkO
23-08-04, 16:50
Read this on some community boards, SOE going overkill on some unfortunate people. If they knew who got the credits surely they could find out how much was tipped and remove it.

KK should get the NC > SWG advertising going again.

Mass Character Bans in Star Wars Galaxies

According to a post originally spotted over at Shacknews, and backed up by posts on several other boards, SOE has taken the step of banning a very large number of player accounts because of a credit duplication exploit.

SOE has taken the drastic step of banning not only those players involved in the dupe, by any player who received any of the duplicated credits. Reports have the number of bans from as low as 10,000 players to as high as 45,000 players.

Players on the Intrepid server decided to protest SOE's actions, resulting in an ultimatum from the CSRs. After the ultimatum was ignored, a large number of players were teleported to random locations within the galaxy.

It now appears that a lot of the affected players were guilty only of accepting tips that included duped credits, and were not actively involved in the exploit at all. On player who claims he was involved in the exploit also claims to have tipped upwards of 10,000 people simply to get them banned from the game as well.

From the boards:
They banned an 11 year old girl that was playing on Kettemoor as a dancer. She got a million credit tip, and just thought she was tipped by a really grateful weaponsmith or armorsmith. Hell, when I quit, I tipped a newbie 500k credits.

A friend that still plays on Lowca says that an Imperial guild duped a lot of credits and tipped a bunch of the top Rebel PVPers, and the Rebels got banned.
Shacknews

I come back to my computer. My alt is no longer logged in.

And I now, he "can't" log in.

I was so pissed to see the status of this account.

I have done nothing wrong. If I did, my main character would be the one to blame. But seeing as how he is not banned, I fail to see the logic here. I am guessing that maybe he was tipped while I was away, that's the only feasible reason I could see in him being banned.

It's a sad day when I can't even leave an entertainer to play peacefully.
Gotta love this from one of the mods as well...

I had some wonderful run ins with SOE CSRs and their "policies".

CSR: We have had complaints about you. If it happens again your account will be closed.

ME: Who complained about what?

CSR: We are unable to tell you that for security reasons. Don't do it again or your account will be cancelled.

ME: What did I do so I can avoid it?

CSR: We are unable to tell you that for security reasons. May I help you with anything else?

ME: You have been a waste of oxygen since your parents met in the bathroom of that crack den. By the way, tell Sony that was me that sent back the planetside box filled with dog shit. It was a subtle comment on SOE, CS and their game. BTW, I pay via credit card and plan to dispute all the subscription charges.

CSR: Thank you, have a nice day.

Dribble Joy
23-08-04, 16:59
There's the thread at the bottom of the page about this.

They have been banning THOUSANDS of accounts, any threads about any of it are deleted as soon as they appear and the posters dissapearing from the boards.

SOE are teh nibets.

Jonax
23-08-04, 17:10
Even as an ex-SWG player who walked out in disgust of their CSRs, I'm a little half-and-half about this. :/

On the one hand, I know that one of the self-confessed dupers on Euro-FarStar was one of the most hated players on the server (mainly for ruining player events, including a race around the Mos Eisley circuit - before the racetracks - which I was commentating at the time), and TBH after having to put up with him for a while I'm glad to see that fucker kicked. Having said that, he'll be back - He got another account when he was finally banned, and I doubt he won't do the same again.

On the other hand, the fact that tipping isn't consentual in SWG means that it's become a weapon to kicking innocents (much like the one-star bandits have always been hassling people on the game's forums). If people accepted the tips, then maybe - But the fact that certain people are using it as a way to get someone kicked out of the game has got to show that that strong-armed approach isn't the best way to handle the problem :wtf:

Having said that, I've heard reports of many innocents getting kicked and having some of the self-confessed dupers still walking around. Funny - That sounds so familar as what happened when I left. :rolleyes:

Shadow Dancer
23-08-04, 17:12
Damn, they banned more players than NC has total. :D

Jonax
23-08-04, 17:14
Damn, they banned more players than NC has total. :D

They have five times as many servers as NC - What do you expect? :p

El_MUERkO
23-08-04, 17:15
Sorry for not seeing the other thread I'm up to my ears in work, I did search for SWG but forum search wanted more letters :(

Update:

SOE are now saying they're only 'Suspending' the players accounts till they strip the ill gotten gains from them.

Callash
23-08-04, 17:16
They have five times as many servers as NC - What do you expect? :p
Plus five times as many developers and five times the budget :angel:

Jonax
23-08-04, 17:17
Plus five times as many developers and five times the budget :angel:

That's nothing to be proud of! 8|

Get back to work, or I'll have to get five times the players' whip :p :lol:

Richard Slade
23-08-04, 17:26
That's just so insanely arrogant..
Look I got 100k in tip, total, for buffing (doc) at a nice ratio of 8k per person,
not bad and very very nice,
now I can't play,
and all I did was charge them the regular cost...

No this wasn't me, but a close friend... Friggin great....

Dribble Joy
23-08-04, 17:27
five times the budget :angel:
I would have thought that they would have 100x the budget.
At least.

rob444
23-08-04, 17:59
Yep, it was very lame of them to ban all of them. Just prooves they are all incompetent.

Barak
23-08-04, 18:11
a little update from the SWG Launcher

Credit Dupe Update All persons potentially involved in the dupe have been banned or suspended.

People who have been banned or suspended are going through the appeals process now. Each case is resolved privately between the customer and customer service. The appeals process will be complete by early next week.
Over 75% of the duped credits are being removed from the economy preventing hyper-inflation in the SWG economy.

No vendor owners were suspended for purchases made from their vendor with duped credits, only people that had money directly transferred to them were affected.

We are committed to maintaining a safe and fair playing environment and exploiting will not be tolerated.

just a copy & paste

hose187
23-08-04, 18:13
LOL. That's like me robbing a bank, buying a cheeseburger, and getting the person at Wendy's arrested. Lame.

Original monk
23-08-04, 18:32
""CSR: We have had complaints about you. If it happens again your account will be closed.

ME: Who complained about what?

CSR: We are unable to tell you that for security reasons. Don't do it again or your account will be cancelled.

ME: What did I do so I can avoid it?

CSR: We are unable to tell you that for security reasons. May I help you with anything else?""

ROFL, this cracked me up :p

Prankster26193
23-08-04, 23:14
Bump, this is too good, dont let this die! This could be the end of soe as we know it :D :D :D

-=Daz=-
23-08-04, 23:30
I quit SWG a while back, I cant believe for the amount for money tht game costs to play they act to the players in such an ignorant way :mad:

Vampire222
23-08-04, 23:37
KK Are angels, compared to them... this just makes my day... kk should take advantage, and give banned swg players some good reason to try nc... :D

Shadow Dancer
23-08-04, 23:46
KK Are angels, compared to them... this just makes my day... kk should take advantage, and give banned swg players some good reason to try nc... :D

LOL!

An extra free month to players who were banned from SWG. :D

Vampire222
23-08-04, 23:48
LOL!

An extra free month to players who were banned from SWG. :D

Damn rite... if kk take advantage of it fast... theyll scoop up a good part of the pissy community

Jonax
24-08-04, 00:19
KK Are angels, compared to them... this just makes my day...

As it does mine - Fancy a glass of bubbly? :D

kk should take advantage, and give banned swg players some good reason to try nc... :D

Exactly - Could be a few ads on mmorpg.com or even ign.com (something like "fed up with SWG? Move over to Neocron!" - Okay, think of something better :p) which is played right can take that chunk of people from under SOE's nose :D

Hell, maybe those who also play NC could also put a few posts (but not over-doing it :) )recommending NC and in particular NC2 on the SWG forums as a little behind-enemy-lines recruitment >D Hell, I'd do it myself if I was willing to pay a month's fee for the opportunity (unless someone at KK wants to pay it for me as expenses - hint hint ;))

Viper Venom
24-08-04, 02:58
LOL. That's like me robbing a bank, buying a cheeseburger, and getting the person at Wendy's arrested. Lame.erm handeling stolen money/forged money is a crime :) (well atleaast u belive if the person has knowlage of it. it is)

Viper Venom
24-08-04, 03:01
kk should give all the banned starwars galaxi ppl that join NC, a badge saying "i joinned NC cos SWG had me banned" that they can wear over there PA :P

Callash
24-08-04, 04:16
kk should give all the banned starwars galaxi ppl that join NC, a badge saying "i joinned NC cos SWG had me banned" that they can wear over there PA :P
Or "I got kicked from SWG and all I got was this lousy PA!"

Viper Venom
24-08-04, 04:54
Or "I got kicked from SWG and all I got was this lousy PA!"ding ding ding we have a winner lol, briliant idea, best one yet ( lets rip of some starwars galazie mesh but slightly change it so we dont infringe on copyright, and er... make it pink :) )

Biznatchy
24-08-04, 05:32
a little update from the SWG Launcher

Credit Dupe Update All persons potentially involved in the dupe have been banned or suspended.

People who have been banned or suspended are going through the appeals process now. Each case is resolved privately between the customer and customer service. The appeals process will be complete by early next week.
Over 75% of the duped credits are being removed from the economy preventing hyper-inflation in the SWG economy.

No vendor owners were suspended for purchases made from their vendor with duped credits, only people that had money directly transferred to them were affected.

We are committed to maintaining a safe and fair playing environment and exploiting will not be tolerated.

just a copy & paste

So it would be the same as everyone that got insane credits from a credit hacker on saturn getting thier accounts temp banned till they could get all, or most of the hacked cash out of the system. The only other way is to be lazy and wipe the server.

we see what path KK took dont we.

El_MUERkO
24-08-04, 10:22
Apparently something interesting has been going on inside the world of StarWars: Galaxies.

There is some sort of credit duping bug and it was heavily exploited by folks on the Intrepid server. Well apparently a certain "bruceleee" and others started giving out these duped credits for nothing or were "tipping" heavily with them. Instead of trying less extreme methods, first Sony banned everyone involved - whether they knew they had these duped credits or not. So after this mass banning all sorts of friends of these people gathered in Theed to protest this. A bunch of CSRs (GMs, essentially) told them all to leave or they'd shut the whole server down! So this one player, Allehe, starts acting as a reporter by giving a play by play of what's going on while being randomly transported across the game. I guess some people even got teleported into space. Ouch. They did shut down the server at some point to good on their threat but it's now up and running again!

This new item is adapted from the original warbucket post, where you'll find pictures, the play-by-play account mentioned earlier, and a follow-up to the pivotal server-wide shutdown. There's even a chatlog with the GMs that sort of tells the story from the corporate perspective.

http://www.warbucket.com/ibforums/index.php?act=ST&f=23&t=17655

http://vnboards.ign.com/SWG_General_Discussion/b5184/74129279/p1

You know, this is the type of stuff people pay money for. Finally something interesting happens in Galaxies.
http://www.uploadyourimages.com/img/151411screen.jpg

Chat Log

CSR Josh K.: Hello Eloran, Thank you for contacting Sony Online Entertainment. One moment please, while I read your question. Thank You!
Eloran Starlighter: Okay, CSR JoshK
CSR Josh K.: How may I help you today Eloran?
Eloran Starlighter: I'm sure you are aware of the recent credit duping ban spree. I have NOT been banned, but I do have a question
Eloran Starlighter: What will happen if I am tipped malicious credits? I do not dupe, but the economy should not screech to a halt
Eloran Starlighter: If you do not answer, I want to speak to your supervisor. If you ignore me, I will report you. I hate to threaten, but I will not be taken lightly.
Eloran Starlighter: ....Josh?
CSR Josh K.: Did you contacted a in game CSR?
Eloran Starlighter: This is NOT an in game issue, they have not helped me. I want information. If you will not give it, please give me your supervisor. This circular "Talk to this guy" "talk to that guy" "send an e-mail there" ruse is annoying. Please give me information or a higher-up.
CSR Josh K.: One moment please, while I transfer you to another CSR who has the ability to assist you further with your issue. You will be returned to the queue and a CSR will assist you immediately. Thank You, and have a nice day.
Eloran Starlighter: If I am tipped malicious credits...what will happen? What if I sell my acklay bones and get paid with duped creds? I didn't do anything wrong. Why should I be banned?
CSR Josh K. has left the session.
Please wait while we find an agent from the SOE HELP STAR WARS GALAXIES department to assist you.
You have been connected to CSR Ken V..
Eloran Starlighter: Thank you. =)
CSR Ken V. has left the session.
Please wait while we find an agent from the SOE HELP STAR WARS GALAXIES department to assist you.
You have been connected to CSR Shane S..
CSR Shane S. has left the session.
You have been connected to CSR Ethan H..
CSR Ethan H. has left the session.
You have been connected to CSR Chris R..
CSR Chris R.: Hello Eloran, Thank you for contacting Sony Online Entertainment. One moment please, while I read your question. Thank You!
Eloran Starlighter: Are you CSR JoshK's supervisor
Eloran Starlighter: ?*
CSR Chris R.: I am tier 2 support
Eloran Starlighter: I assume that means you are higher up. Great.
CSR Chris R.: Is there something I can assist you with?
CSR Chris R.: Yes that is correct
Eloran Starlighter: Yes. I require information.
CSR Chris R.: Okay
Eloran Starlighter: This is not an in-game issue, so an in-game CSR is out of the question
Eloran Starlighter: I'm sure you are aware of the recent ban-spree due to credit duping. What will occur if I sell an item, and am paid with duped credits? What if I am maliciously tipped? Why should I be flagged and banned? Should the economy screech to a halt?
CSR Chris R.: Yes I am aware
Eloran Starlighter: if you cannot assist me, please send me to tier 3, to your supervisor, or to someone else. If you do not, I will gladly report you. I do not want to threaten, as you seem to be nice. But I shall not be taken lightly on this issue.
CSR Chris R.: Unfortunately there is no on e in this department that can assist you with this matter. All banned and suspended account must go thru swgsupport@soe.sony.com. That is who you will need to contact.
Eloran Starlighter: I am not banned nor suspended.
Eloran Starlighter: I said I wanted information.
Eloran Starlighter: I do not want an auto-response letter. Especially since I am not even banned.
CSR Chris R.: What information are you requesting?
Eloran Starlighter: What will occur if I sell an item, and am paid with duped credits? What if I am maliciously tipped? Why should I be flagged and banned? Should the economy screech to a halt?
CSR Chris R.: You will be banned
CSR Chris R.: I would advise you not to do anything that would put your account at risk
Eloran Starlighter: And how does one get unbanned? Pray to the mighty auto-response from swgsupport@soe.sony.com? =P
Eloran Starlighter: So I should stay logged out and let the people who hate my bank tip me? I should stop selling items? I should sit in the middle of Endor
Eloran Starlighter: ?*
CSR Chris R.: You do not
CSR Chris R.: Once an account is banned, it is gone forever
Eloran Starlighter: ....
Eloran Starlighter: Ouch
Eloran Starlighter: So you reccomend staying logged out?
Eloran Starlighter: I mean, there seems no safe way. You can get bank tipped while offline
CSR Chris R.: To be perfectly honest with you. If you did receive any duped credit's or purchased anything with duped credits, I would advise you to contact a CSR immediately.
CSR Chris R.: That is a in game support CSR
Eloran Starlighter: I have not recieved anything. But I'm just saying, how can I possibly avoid it?
CSR Chris R.: If someone tips you a large amount of credits contact a in game support CSR
Eloran Starlighter: All right. But...one other question
Eloran Starlighter: Let's say I kill an acklay. I get some cool bones. I go and I sell it...a big-name weaponsmith purchases it. Now, he didn't dupe...he's too honest for that. But a few hours ago, someone bought his 3 mil weapon with some duped creds. He pays me for the bones with his money. What happens?
CSR Chris R.: Now if something like that were to happen in game support could look at the logs and see that you were not in violation of the End User's License Agreement.
Eloran Starlighter: But if I were already banned, my account would already be lost forever, wouldn't it? Or can they unban it if I am proven innocent?
CSR Chris R.: They can do an investigation and unban an account
Eloran Starlighter: And if I am tipped big credits, I should immedietly call a CSR? And hold onto the money so he can remove it from the game?
CSR Chris R.: Yes that is correct, were talking millions of credits
Eloran Starlighter: So if I only recieve like 800K or something for my acklay bones, I should be safe..and if not...they can unban me, right?
CSR Chris R.: Yes
CSR Chris R.: That is correct
Eloran Starlighter: Thank you very much, CSR Chris R. You have been, by far, one of the most helpful CSRs I have ever met. I hope they give you a raise or a bonus or something. =) Please submit this log if it will help you recieve such a thing.
Eloran Starlighter: Have a wonderful day
sorry for the bad pun

Selendor
24-08-04, 14:49
I sense a disturbance in the force, as if millions of gamers suddenly cried out and then were silenced.

- ok its a quote from another forum, but very amusing :lol: Feel bad for the players banned though. :(

Jonax
24-08-04, 15:41
I sense a disturbance in the force, as if millions of gamers suddenly cried out and then were silenced.

- ok its a quote from another forum, but very amusing :lol: Feel bad for the players banned though. :(

As am I - It's indeed a sad day... :(

(champagne cork popping sound) Sorry ;)

Sakletare
25-08-04, 14:09
It's all over the net that SOE are bad boys and girls.
http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3?date=2004-08-25&res=l