PDA

View Full Version : Time to upgrade then

Underground
22-08-04, 22:28
:(

yesterday my PSU went loopy and my PCs been fucked by it, basically, i need a new one, had to put a old motherboard into my PC thinking that was the original problem but it also fried my gfx card and 1 stick of RAM. Anyway, time to build me a new PC.

Im a bit outta synch with the best shit thats around now as i havent really botherd with PC for around 18 months.

Ive got the following to take over to a new box:
2x 120gb 10k rpm hdd's, would prefer to set these up on a RAID, so will need a RAID compatible mobo.
2gb DDR 400fsb
AMD XP3000, will probably upgrade this, not botherd by AMD/Intel arguments, whichevers good for the price ill get.
Audigy2
550w viper tri-fan PSU

What I need is:
GFX Card, NVid/ATI, whatever will do
Motherboard
Maybe a new processor

Basically i can get stuff at trade prices, ill have around £800-£1000 for it so can go for top shit, might even get another gig stick of RAM if a new mobo will support 3 or even 4 gig or RAM. Dont really wanna go for the top top top stuff as prices are stupid compared to something slightly below its capabilities yet 1/3 of its price :p

Any suggestions on what to get ?

-REMUS-
22-08-04, 23:02
sell me the 3.0 ghz cpu if you upgrade :p

I would wait untill pci express is out and a few more nforce 3 mobo's hav been released to see which is the best.

Ram has always been corsair in my mind they always seem to perform.

The processor is dependant on if you choose intel or amd, tbh i would go with amd since their processers run alot cooler.

Graphics card wise it seems open gl is still a majour player so Geforce cards will be much better for games like doom 3, but imo ati's are a better card.

Lucas Anderson
23-08-04, 05:48
PCI Express is out... I just ordered a new dell today, and the graphics card is a ati X800 pci express card :), only reason why I orderd a comp this time instead of built was because there was 250 off the price in promotions, free shipping, and a free multifunction printer - heh what adeal, 1500 got a nice 19" monitor, 3.2 P4 HT 1mb cahce, 1GB DDR2 533, and ati x800 XT card, and some other stuff...
score

sell me the 3.0 ghz cpu if you upgrade :p

I would wait untill pci express is out and a few more nforce 3 mobo's hav been released to see which is the best.

Ram has always been corsair in my mind they always seem to perform.

The processor is dependant on if you choose intel or amd, tbh i would go with amd since their processers run alot cooler.

Graphics card wise it seems open gl is still a majour player so Geforce cards will be much better for games like doom 3, but imo ati's are a better card. :lol:

Seven
23-08-04, 05:53
Too lazy to read up on it ATM, but is pci express better than AGP?

Jaenus
23-08-04, 06:02
A Dell? Just so long as you know about computers it's ok :)

A guy at where I was working last year bought a Dell for his office (company machines are pretty much thin clients, ie rubbish). Almost everything worked out of the box except it seemed to be running really slowly for a 3Ghz; the windows would jerk around when he dragged them etc. Turns out that it was because there was _no_ gfx driver for his Nvidia card at all (even the default XP one wasn't there :wtf: ) and it was all basically running off the cpu.

It's a good job he was too stubborn to phone the help line or I bet they'd have had him running in circles while the charges racked up :rolleyes:
Edit: Sorry, they call it "following set procedures" :p

Lucas Anderson
23-08-04, 12:13
Too lazy to read up on it ATM, but is pci express better than AGP?
I dont know for sure, but Im pretty sure that the technology brings PCI express upto almost the same as AGP...

Lucas Anderson
23-08-04, 12:14
A Dell? Just so long as you know about computers it's ok :)

A guy at where I was working last year bought a Dell for his office (company machines are pretty much thin clients, ie rubbish). Almost everything worked out of the box except it seemed to be running really slowly for a 3Ghz; the windows would jerk around when he dragged them etc. Turns out that it was because there was _no_ gfx driver for his Nvidia card at all (even the default XP one wasn't there :wtf: ) and it was all basically running off the cpu.

It's a good job he was too stubborn to phone the help line or I bet they'd have had him running in circles while the charges racked up :rolleyes:
Edit: Sorry, they call it "following set procedures" :p

hehe, yeah the minute it comes im formatting, throwing XP Pro instead of home edition on there.. and only loading the programs I want on there.. instead of all the junk they come with ;)

Dribble Joy
23-08-04, 12:25
hehe, yeah the minute it comes im formatting, throwing XP Pro instead of home edition on there.. and only loading the programs I want on there.. instead of all the junk they come with ;)
Doesn't messing with ANYTHING on a complete-bought comp void the warranty?

I allways go for custom build comps.

Ryuben
23-08-04, 12:44
I dont know for sure, but Im pretty sure that the technology brings PCI express upto almost the same as AGP...
the thinf about PCI express is

u can link 2 GFX together ....... ;)

Only inside the case, as u have bought the PC thus the HDD thus the information on the HDD.

winnoc
23-08-04, 12:57
Either go 64 bit now or wait for it for another year or two.
If you wait, get yourself a mobile amd chip. Overclocks like there's no tomorrow.

SynC_187
23-08-04, 13:51
PCI Express is out... I just ordered a new dell today, and the graphics card is a ati X800 pci express card :), only reason why I orderd a comp this time instead of built was because there was 250 off the price in promotions, free shipping, and a free multifunction printer - heh what adeal, 1500 got a nice 19" monitor, 3.2 P4 HT 1mb cahce, 1GB DDR2 533, and ati x800 XT card, and some other stuff...
score

:lol:

Yeah I use them sometimes, buy the PC then strip out parts. Can get what you said above for £310 with a 17" flatscreen with my Dell account.

SynC_187
23-08-04, 13:52

Not if your a qualified Dell engineer ;)

Sorry bout double post, should of edited.....