PDA

View Full Version : [OT] Virtual Serial Connection?

Omnituens
22-08-04, 19:57
OK, after doing many seaches on the internet, i cannot find a program that i want.

Heres what I need:
I want to create a virtual serial connection across the Net. i can find programs to generate a virtual port, but none that can make a connection over the net.

You might be thinking "Why the fuck would you want to do that?"

The answer: some older games can only be used over a serial connection, they have no network game option. if a program existed that allowed this virtual connection, i could play some of my old games over the net, or ones that had network play disabled (You know the one i mean, WESTWOOD!)

If no program is forthcomming, i will have to resort to making my own. which probably is going to be alot of work so i might need some assitance with that (so programmers sign in here, VB 6.0 prefered) obviously i would like to find a ready-made one, but i DO need the programming practice...

retr0n
22-08-04, 20:00
Never heard about something like that. :/
And VB? o_O You should think that over

rob444
22-08-04, 20:01
Hm you can use GIT to play with IPX over WAN. Dont know about serial connections though.

GIT can be found at: http://www.morpheussoftware.net/git/

Omnituens
22-08-04, 20:19
yeah, thats the sort of program im after.

i want to use VB because its the one im most fluent in - i want to be able to help with the coding.

i will be learning C++ soon though for my uni course.

Cypher_Psy
22-08-04, 22:08
You are not the only one to search for such a program as this would (finally) enable me to play Gravity Power (Great Amiga game) using emulated Amigas over an emulated serial port across the lan :D :eek: :D

rob444
22-08-04, 22:47
Ok, I'll make it but not today and I will take a look at it tomorrow.

Agent L
23-08-04, 08:41
hmm, there was something, that allowed to play Doom over inet. Damn, I forgot it's name, but it was rater a system than a program, maybe it was taken over by smth like gamespy.
Second problem is did it emulated serial ports or just ipx lan.
Third problem with tools like that is that inet introduces packets delay on a level unknown to old lan or serial enabled games. Today's games uses sophisitcated inter- and extrapolation algorithms to hide lag from players, afaik old games are very choppy when forced to play over inet.

juvestar15
23-08-04, 08:46
VB has the nice comm functions in it. I used it to make my scaletrix lap timer. :D

Torteth
23-08-04, 13:38
I believe the program you're looking for is called "Kali"

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&safe=off&q=Kali+IPX&meta=

See how you go anyway. I used it ages ago to play Red Alert 1 over TCP/IP instead of icky IPX.

Omnituens
23-08-04, 13:50
tried that, it doesnt allow C&C to work on 2K/XP because the patch to enable play disables network functions.

plus it just kept kicking me off all the time.