PDA

View Full Version : Final fantasy - Evidence Of Failure!!!!

Spermy
22-08-04, 02:28
Mike - Watched Gothika says:
the thing that i hated about FF was the turn based battles

i cant STAND turn based situations

it just gives the finger to all sembalance of realism

Alex | <generic witty name> says:
Yeah, button bashing on the pther hand, prolly wouldn't have worked either
why the HELL would anyone stand there in a trance when there is a massive fat bastard standing not 5 meters a way

hehe - great analogy dude

u either turn an run shreiking like a little girl, or use your MASSIVE power to crush the thing

ok situation, your in a bank raid, and a massive criminal is facing you armed with two miniguns

I know where this ids going...

there is a hostage, and she is screaming to be saved, but you cant help her because its not your turn

i need a crap but i cant move cause ive used all my movement points this turn, oh well i guess im gonna have to crap my pants

In yo face Square!!!

Jailbird
22-08-04, 02:37
lol.. nice conversion.

I had hundreds of these with RL mates that left NC for FFXI and it annoys me when they say that its fun and its > NC and all this shit. I end up calling them carebears.

Spermy
22-08-04, 02:39
Also, a few thoughts on Resident evil - from the same convo - Mike is a funny guy =)

i need to pick up a key, but i cant cause my character is also carrying 2 herbs, a handgun, bullets, a small plaque and some ink ribbons
hold the pissing thing in your teeth man

Mumblyfish
22-08-04, 02:52
It's called a gameplay mechanic. Realism sucks. And Resident Evil would have been shit if there was a command called "Put it under your hat", "Hide it behind your ear" or "Make a new, deeper pocket with your knife" whenever you ran out of room.

That said, Final Fantasy mechanics are now the lose. Tales of Symphonia is the new console RPG battle jesus.

Thundra
22-08-04, 03:46
mm i dont think all games should be realistic thats why we play them. the whole point of games is an escape from realism. in real life when aiming a gun do u have to wait for a targiter to get small b4 u should shoot????

i loved ff xii the others were good but they were a bit samey so they didnt grip me enough.

altho some games should be realistic so u can do things that u may not get to do in real life but in ff games there set in a fantasy world so that idea is out the window stright away.

but in terms of readnig that convo......... lol

Benjie
22-08-04, 04:00
Fable is a Final Fantasy style RPG coming out on the Xbox that breaks all the rules! It seems at least like one company agrees with you/us.

Shadow Dancer
22-08-04, 04:00
Fable is a Final Fantasy style RPG coming out on the Xbox that breaks all the rules! It seems at least like one company agrees with you/us.

Yup. I wish I had X-Box. :(

Thundra
22-08-04, 04:04
mm i have a ps2 but i sorta went off console games once i enterd the online world 6 years back. its a dvd player more than anything. only gae i can say i truly enjoyed on a console since then is the stret fighter games (im a god) and ssx games.

if this rpg u mention is good hopefuly they will also release it on pc.

Benjie
22-08-04, 04:08
Yup. I wish I had X-Box. :(
FFS Shadow Dancer. X-Boxes are fucking great! Plus for every X-Box you buy, Microsoft loose about $200, double the pleasure!
Don't forget Fable, B.C., Jade Empires, Sudeki & SW:KotOR 2. Not to mention non-RPG games like Halo 2. :p I'm sooo gonna get X-Box broadband just for that game.

What the hell was the name of that mmorpg coming out on the Xbox?

Thundra
22-08-04, 04:10
FFS Shadow Dancer. X-Boxes are fucking great! Plus for every X-Box you buy, Microsoft loose about $200, double the pleasure!

Don't forget Fable, Jade Empires, SW:KotOR 2, Sudeki & BC. Not to mention non-RPG games like Halo 2. :p

wont most of them come out on pc in the end anyway? just asking as i dont really know .. i dont keep up with the console games

Benjie
22-08-04, 04:12
wont most of them come out on pc in the end anyway? just asking as i dont really know .. i dont keep up with the console games
Some eventually, perhaps. I expect Halo 2 won't because of the new Xbox engine, and I doubt Fable will either. From what I have read on the Bioware forums, Jade Empires will be Xbox only. SW:KotOR almost deffinetly will though. TBH though I'm looking forward to Doom 3 in a few months because my PC won't run it. :( :p I'm also gonna buy the new Timesplitters and Outrun II games.

Thundra
22-08-04, 04:15
proba good idea. i haev doom 3 and it runs ok. if it didnt run smooth it really wouldnt have the same effect. thats why i try keep my pc up to date but for those who cant id prob say x-box is best console for the reason a lot of pc games will be released on it. id buy one but its so big and loud i refuse to unless it doubles as a microwave. which i dont think it does.

Benjie
22-08-04, 04:17
id buy one but its so big and loud i refuse to unless it doubles as a microwave. which i dont think it does.
I just think it's funny that Microsoft loose so much money every time somebody buys one! :p It is damned loud actually, I never really noticed that before. Good DVD player though.
Personally I prefere Gamecube though. Pitty it's coming to such an early grave. :( Deffinetly going to buy a DS when it comes out. I don't expect PSP to live up to the hype, when the graphics become old, what will sell it?

Bleh! :p

Thundra
22-08-04, 04:21
yet anougher reason i dont buy consols anymore. u cant update them u have to get a new system. still i dont blame people who do they have there pro's. i mean there normally weighty enough to throw at people u hate and cause some good damage without wasting to much money.

but i used to work ina game store and all console owners loose cash on the console its self. All the cash is made on the games. the shops them selves only made 10 pound per ps2 that was sold. made me wonder why we were so intent on selling them lol.

Shadow Dancer
22-08-04, 04:34
Lol people who don't like consoles are missing out on soooooooo many good games.

Me = someone who likes pcs AND consoles

Me>People who prefer one over the other

:p

Thundra
22-08-04, 04:37
lol im not sayin i dont think people should not buy consoles ( i was just messing with some of me coments im like that) its actually offline games in general need to be pretty damn specially to grip me to them. just a personal preference.

Shadow Dancer
22-08-04, 04:38
lol im not sayin i dont think people should not buy consoles ( i was just messing with some of me coments im like that) its actually offline games in general need to be pretty damn specially to grip me to them. just a personal preference.

Have you ever played Baldur's Gate 2 for the PC?

Thundra
22-08-04, 04:39
no actually. but i mean i dont know why but i just play those sort of games and half way through i loose interest. i have to say tho ive heard nothing but good things bout that game so il prob buy it on impulse one of these days and see what happens.

Shadow Dancer
22-08-04, 04:41
no actually. but i mean i dont know why but i just play those sort of games and half way through i loose interest. i have to say tho ive heard nothing but good things bout that game so il prob buy it on impulse one of these days and see what happens.

Yes, it's an excellent game. I spent soooooooooooooooo many hours on that game. omg 8|

:p

Thundra
22-08-04, 04:48
he he. i just have this thing abuot ai. i always have this thought in the back of my mind thinking it knwos axactly what im doin its just lines of code telling it not to look. and wierd crap like taht so i prefere real life interaction. but yes i will prob give it ago as i so long for an offline rpg that keeps me as hooked as ffxii did. i miss those days.

edit.. bugger me your post count is high. look when i joined lol i really dont post that much do i. i think i have small bursts of posting then i stop

Judge
22-08-04, 04:56
I recently bought Starcraft on impulse after loads of people telling me how amazing it is....They were right. Its the first RTS that I actually prefer doing the campaign to random matches, atm I'm at the scenario where you first encounter the protoss.... fucking hell those bastards are hard (and now I know where the term Zerg tactics comes from!). Any tips to defeat the Protoss?

Thundra
22-08-04, 05:30
think my first zerg tactics came abuot in total annhilalation on the metal maps. i used to buid an army of bout 400 tanks (unit cap including builds was 500) so it may have been more and id surround me abse with them. when they attacked with what ever crappy force they used my tanks lines wer so thick they had no chance and after i beat them i would select all unis and click roughly where there base was and go watch telly. i dont hin i was ever beaten on a metal map because of this tactic i made. strange thing i enver saw anyone copy my tactic to th same lvl i did it. one person in the clan i was in tried doing a similar thing with lanes but u knew he would do that so i build a shit laod of plane defences so he had no chance but he also new what id do and because of the way the map was set out he could buld the perfect defence so its was a compleat stale mate so we called it a draw. apartf orm taht no one beat me lol. those were the days. anyway good night till tommorrow . erm i mean later today

Endar
22-08-04, 08:41
BTW now when we are talking about consoles, has anyone heard anything about Phantom? Shouldnt it be released by now?

And I have PS2 and I love it because I can play all those uber PS1 RPG games on it. I mean, theres not a single new RPG game that could beat Tales of Phantasie or Arc The Lad 2 :D. Not to mention all those other great games that I have played and forgotten about... And besides I use it as a DvD player too.

Xbox has nice graphics and you can mod it but the games cost so fecking much and I dont know places where to download em. So Xbox is not ment for me since I just wasted 700e on upgrading my comp...

Agent L
22-08-04, 11:30
<3 turn based games.

Benjie
22-08-04, 12:01
<3 turn based games.
Been playin' Advanced Wars 2. Great turn based game! :D

Mumblyfish
22-08-04, 12:12
Been playin' Advanced Wars 2. Great turn based game! :D
I was a total AW fanboy until I got Fire Emblem.

Fire Emblem > Advance Wars 1+2 put together :p

Benjie
22-08-04, 17:20
I was a total AW fanboy until I got Fire Emblem.

Fire Emblem > Advance Wars 1+2 put together :p
Is Fire Emblam the same type of game?

Genty
22-08-04, 17:35
So, remind me again why this is Evidence of failure? One guys opinion on the style of the game negates the hundreds of thousands of people that play the game.....k.....

SilentEye
22-08-04, 17:38
I am sending this to bash.org ^^

http://www.bash.org/?395533

Viper Venom
22-08-04, 17:44
i love ff, but to be fair, ff is only fun single player, turn based combat (minus fallout) and, my stats own urs, on multy player suks,

u wana kill with skill, therefore the neocron style of combat is teh best i have seen in a longtime, and until they make frontier elite 4, and design it so its stable and multyplayer, i shal continue playing neocron

Mumblyfish
22-08-04, 20:04
i love ff, but to be fair, ff is only fun single player, turn based combat (minus fallout) and, my stats own urs, on multy player suks,
Spoken like someone who's never played a strategy RPG, like Fire Emblem or Disgaea. Or even (at a stretch) Advance Wars, Lost Kingdoms and Etherlords. Go you!

Is Fire Emblam the same type of game?
Fire Emblem is made by the developers of Advance Wars. It's really Advance Wars Made Fucking Hard. Think of Advance Wars without unit construction - you're stuck with the same units throughout the game, picking up new ones in storyline sequence. Except when a unit dies (and they're no more powerful than your standard enemy), they're out. For the rest of the game. Matthew, the ultra-cool thief got impaled by a knight? Won't be seeing him in battle ever again, sorry. All your units look unique, have unique stats, conversations, storylines... it makes you really care about that cavalier you're sending into a horde of axe-wielding barbarians.

More often than not, if a single unit dies I end up quitting and restarting the mission, I love them all so much. Hence, the "Hard As Fucking Nails" Advance Wars.

Units level up as they kill more enemies, you can equip them with new weapons as you obtain them (no OMG UBER FF-esque weapons, though, a steel sword is only a little more powerful than an iron one, and is heavy to boot, meaning units that rely on outrunning and dodging attacks could be fucked - and weapons get smashed after so much use - equipment choices are pretty difficult).

Also... cool storyline. And the best battle animations for anything sprite-based. Ever. None of the crappy (pretty, but badly animated) Advance Wars fights. Mages' robes flutter about in the wind as they cast spells, thieves and assassins leap through the air like badass ninjas, paladins charge towards the enemy at top speed, ramming a spear straight through the enemy's bastard chest. Horseback archers leap around on their ponies and rear the horses to dodge attacks, swordmasters twirl in midair slashing the ever-living-fuck out of infantry, pegasus knights swoop down again ramming spears into skulls, but this time they look all pretty and womanly. Aww.

Sorry, I just love Fire Emblem so much, and yet nobody's played it. Best strategy game ever.

Like Advance Wars? Get Fire Emblem.

Ninja Edit: Also forgot to note that the game autosaves for you every move you make. No manual saving. That means that if you make a single move that results in you losing the game (getting too cocky and having the main character killed) you're forced to restart the mission. Reloading your old save file just shows the last turn being played all the time. Awesome!