PDA

View Full Version : KK should have ONE server!!!!!!!1111

Shadow Dancer
19-08-04, 20:04
One MASSIVE mega server french, german, english, martian, etc........

Imagine a super packed server with people in every zone, different languages(like rl), no ONE community dominating the server because it's mixed with all sorts of people. Could have truly epic DOY vs NC wars. *drools profusely*

Who agrees?

P4mp3rk3
19-08-04, 20:08
I do...
I can't see why not, I've played with french, german, whatever nationality together and it always worked fine.

xkorpio
19-08-04, 20:09
5 stars for you man (and rep). I like the idea very much, is very cyberpunk the fact of being multi-cultural, and maybe, develop a new language based on several other languages, net stuff and the like (d0 y0u l337 sp34k?)

Jest
19-08-04, 20:10
My first minute in game I would mute every global channel. :p

john irons
19-08-04, 20:16
:eek: wow that is an amazing idea

Glok
19-08-04, 20:19
Assuming the new servers will handles thousands of players, I don't think it is a very good idea anyways. The Neocron world is just too small. Can you imagine 300 people in plaza all kneeling for pokes, the DM spam you would get selling stuff, 50 nibs in aggies camping the first room... 8|

Shadow Dancer
19-08-04, 20:21
Assuming the new servers will handles thousands of players, I don't think it is a very good idea anyways. The Neocron world is just too small. Can you imagine 300 people in plaza all kneeling for pokes, the DM spam you would get selling stuff, 50 nibs in aggies camping the first room... 8|

Ahh but that's the point you see. Why does everyone have to congregate in plaza? Each zone of NC could have alot of people. Their are alot more places to level a newbie than you think. Imagine newbie teams in each aggie celler, in each outzone sewer, in each NC sewer. It would truly feel like a bustling city.

:angel:

Glok
19-08-04, 20:28
Their are alot more places to level a newbie than you think.No need to tell me. One of my favorite places to level a new char is core 6 in Tech Haven. 3 and 4 chev bots that barely scratch you. :D

Storage 7 in Ind A 2 is great also. Lots of crates for hiding a newbie. It's great fun taking down launchers when one rocket from them practically kills you. On one new char I went almost straight there (after missions for TL3 heal) no imps, kevlar armor. I probably died 40 times in the few hours I was there. But I levelled like a freak.

RayBob
19-08-04, 20:31
Yes, please.

Tratos
19-08-04, 20:35
Thing is KK must have the server hardware already if they know they are going to have 3 on release... so why not just stick em all together? lol

i would personaly LOVE to see Via Rosso busseling with people....

i think this is a good idea but has its downsides, 3 stars as im not to sure.

nugz420
19-08-04, 20:44
I like it one server means gms only have to watch out for one server faction councilers same thing.Makes a oopurtunity to have structured event as well as makes it easy to run a story line that KK could give goals the the FC's to give to a elected faction council.AAhhh one server makes for so many good posibilities but im sure there would be drawbacks.

4 stars

Otto
19-08-04, 20:48
One server is best

SorkZmok
19-08-04, 20:53
What about the character slots? 1? 4? Personally if i had to go to a 1 char server, i would quit.

I'd love to see 2 servers, one with 4 slots, one with a single slot. No german / international bullshit, just 2 international servers. That would be awesome.

Although i dont know if just 2 servers could handle all the people. NC isnt that big...

-FN-
19-08-04, 20:53
I can't see why not

The current hardware/software architecture can't even handle a puny 300-400 server-count without choking... you think 1500-2000 people would ever work with this game the way it's designed? o_O

Good idea on the whole and I agree - but the world size would have to double and the entire infrastructure redone to support that many connections.

athon
19-08-04, 21:05
BEST IDEA EVER!

This will make it miles easier for KK to implement a dynamic storyline which the players can reallly influence properly!

Athon Solo

SilKK
19-08-04, 21:15
that would be funny as fux 1 server for wat 2000 people when nc2 comes out rofl

Benjie
19-08-04, 21:18
A-totally-greed.

(agreed)

Richard Slade
19-08-04, 23:00
If they server is stable and sure to handle it, I'm all for it!

Benjie
19-08-04, 23:10
Yes, but a two slot server. It's the best of both words if you totally ignore all the character transfer issues, which to be honest, is a much smaller issue in the long run. Two slot servers are also easier to balance from a development perspective.

P4mp3rk3
19-08-04, 23:15
The current hardware/software architecture can't even handle a puny 300-400 server-count without choking... you think 1500-2000 people would ever work with this game the way it's designed? o_O

Good idea on the whole and I agree - but the world size would have to double and the entire infrastructure redone to support that many connections. I'll rephrase :)

I can't see why they wouldn't aim for servers that can handle that many players so they can have 1 server

And I don't know if the world size should double? with 300 people on right now we only fill plaza 2 (the others are elsewhere and still plenty of zones empty)

zii
19-08-04, 23:16
Excellent idea. Although I think there should be 1 x 4slot int'l plus 1 x 1 slot int'l servers. But I'd settle for 1 x 4 slotter. Now that would be wicked.

GIJ0e
19-08-04, 23:20
unless the world size is doubled with NC2 it would be way to crowded. queuing for caves, wewt.

Glok
19-08-04, 23:21
Imagine chaos caves and MC5. 8|

Viper Venom
19-08-04, 23:41
na, when we finaly get over 1000 ppl on a server like kk are gona have to make a ton new training grounds of the big uber scary bastards are gona own like MUHAHAHAHA DIE BITCH GET OUT MY TRAINING ZONE *50 cs bullets fly at ur face* DIE DIE DIE BITCH *u run like a momas boy away from the uber capped clan owning the zones.

it would be good if kk could keep up but they cant, well, u never know, with doy they may beable to keep up, more money more staf better updates biger game, tokio 2 in half a year :P

Dribble Joy
20-08-04, 00:15
I'd love to see 2 servers, one with 4 slots, one with a single slot. No german / international bullshit, just 2 international servers. That would be awesome.
Plan man, or the single server idea.

Zeninja
20-08-04, 00:29
Would be great, or maybe just 2.

I think NC would really make sense with 1000 or more players per server (trades, OP wars, people in streets etc). But KK would have to throw away their 486 dx2/66 on a 128mb/s line, to get brand new one.

hinch
20-08-04, 11:01
assuming for a moment KK have the skill to create a cluster capable of holding 2k+ players. and that it wont lag to all buggery.

if dynamic content was added
if balance of power was added
if fre's didnt exist
if classes were balanced

then it would work

winnoc
20-08-04, 11:26
Yes, it would be cool.

Original monk
20-08-04, 11:33

knowing KK this will never happen, seeing all OP's in 1 and the same colour and the whole server getting acces denied when they wonna genrep ...

jaay superfun ...

i would like 1 big server yeah ... but i dont even know if its possible ... saturn with 300 players is buggy and laggy as hell allready ...

but yeah with a new engine and all ... doy can fix everything not ?

edit: imagine mc5 ? whats the diffrence with now ?? -> 300 people for 1 small 4 by 4 room ... hilevelcontent ?
-> claustrofobic yeah ...

ino
20-08-04, 11:36
I could live with one mega server. But I dont think it would work, cause Neocron aint big enough for 2000 players online. we need more aggy cellars for nobs in the city, more and better lowlvl places to exp, imagine 300 ppl wanting a mc5 chip at the same time :) One place only to get it, would become extremly annoying.

If KK would expand some wich I really would like to see happen it might work, we need more space to handle more ppl.

Richard Slade
20-08-04, 12:01
*cough* dynamic dungeons system *cough*
(Instance dungeons)

Selendor
20-08-04, 12:02
This is a Mmorpg, note the first 'M' in that - it should be 500 - 1000 per server. Eve averages 5000-9000 at one time. I would love it if we all were on the one server. I'm sure the popular levelling spots could be duplicated out to other places.

Think about all the zones in the game that no one visits at all, or maybe one player runs through per month. The size of Neocron, especially with any DoY expansion of zones, deservers 1000 players on a server to make it alive. Another reason not to have a second International server imho.

Is it technically possible for KK? I don't know, back at the start of retail the servers were close to that high and they lagged to high heaven.

5 wishfull stars.

hinch
20-08-04, 12:07
*cough* dynamic dungeons system *cough*
(Instance dungeons)

i wrote a nice thread on instanced dungeons and how to implement them ages ago and everyone flamed me go look it up if you dont believe me

kerdezixe
20-08-04, 12:19
No please. Don't merge.

All servers are different and lot of players don't speak english ( 1 server = international = english).

And ... if you merge all servers : what's about slot ? i have many many players on every server and i don't want to lost them.

Edit : and i don't want a 15 slots server ...

ino
20-08-04, 12:29
Yeah KK has to rethink or rearrange the lvling spots and hunting grounds.

The wasteland sure has alot of zones noone cares about cause there aint any mobs or no mobs worth the time to spend time there. So does Outzone and Main sewers and so on, this could be used But Still not sure the inner cities doy have no clue of how big it is and neocron would be enough to handle 2000 or more online ppl as they progress thru their lvls.

I want Islands to go to :) Regants legacy as some badass dungeon, there are lots of places that potentially could be great places to make good stuff.

Clownst0pper
20-08-04, 12:31
4 slot international. :)

SorkZmok
20-08-04, 12:38
After thinking about it a bit, i dont think it would be possible. It would be too many people. Even with new dungeons, more places to level at or even instaced dungeons. What about ops?
Theres not enough ops for a huge population. There would be some mega clans holding ops and everyone else hasnt got a chance. Although i dont know much about changes to the op fight/fation/clan system changes with doy.

@Kerdezixe
Why are the servers different? Different people, thats all. If everyone would play on one server, there would be enough people of other languages to talk to/trade with. And it really isnt that hard to learn a bit english so you can talk with the other people.

About the slots, i think it shoud be 2 servers. 1 slot and 4 slots. Everyone should be happy with that, population wouldnt be THAT huge and people wont get pissed.

Ozambabbaz
20-08-04, 12:43
if it happens, KK can scrath the new char models and settle with default PE =P

Zeninja
20-08-04, 12:45
About the slots, i think it shoud be 2 servers. 1 slot and 4 slots. Everyone should be happy with that, population wouldnt be THAT huge and people wont get pissed.
True.

ichinin
20-08-04, 13:29
Already suggested, but the question is 1 or 4 slots.

For my money - is a 1 slotted server with a mature group of people. 4 slots encourage fucktard behaviour.

Lecko
20-08-04, 13:39
I like the idea. Places such as TechHaven and the Canyons could become places where people trade and poke and construct etc... which would be nice.

Op wars would be insane :)

Though the downside would be MC5 nightmare camping, increase in fucktardishness :mad: and unbelievable laggage as stated.

I would imagine a lot of people will go for the international server anyway, so I think it may happen anyway. I think it shouldnt be a 4 slot server to make it more interesting. This is coming from someone moving from Saturn... :)

retr0n
20-08-04, 13:54
I like it, Would be cool to see 30+ people in every zone, as long as the
hardware can handle it.

Vendiria TSC
20-08-04, 14:16
For most french people it would be worse as they play neocron because there is a french server and a french community... they don't understand a word of english or german and they will feel excluded by merging all the communities...

Imagine how difficult it would be to organise events for these persons.

And I cannot imagine a server without the Alchemic Dream staff :rolleyes:

CarniFlex
20-08-04, 14:23
Always thought one large 2-4 slot character server would be the best, it does feel abit racist to seperate english-french-german players. But then again were talking bout the countries that think their language should be the world language anyway...

El_MUERkO
20-08-04, 14:23
Myabe for NC3, when the world is two or three times as big as it is now.

Right now I'm curious to see how NC2's international server handles the combination of Saturn, Uranus and Pluto becaus ethe amount of people moving from those servers to the international will probably be far greater than the amount of people playing at present.

Clownst0pper
20-08-04, 15:05
Always thought one large 2-4 slot character server would be the best, it does feel abit racist to seperate english-french-german players. But then again were talking bout the countries that think their language should be the world language anyway...

Everyone speaks english.

Its just fact, even the worst english speaking, native germans, on saturn can speak english, or some form of it!

Ch1n Th3 M4g
20-08-04, 15:14
yes yes yes
1 server
sick op fights all the time

ahhh fuck it
every 1 just go to the 4 slot int sever :D :D :D :D

solling
20-08-04, 15:15
If the hardware could handle it sure

and if we compromised and made it a 2 slot server

imagine 1000-2000 peops all with 4 chars or more arg

CarniFlex
20-08-04, 16:34
Its just fact, even the worst english speaking, native germans, on saturn can speak english, or some form of it!

ok i found that comment abit funny really :)
what bout the native germans playing on jupiter that took french class instead of english class?

But for discussion, support should (if it was a one server) state CLEARLY IN CAPITAL LETTERS PREFERABLY THAT ANY HELP REQUESTS SHOULD BE SENT TO YOUR PREFERD COUNTRY CODE, IE help@nc.com for english help@nc.de etc. that would solve the language problems since help could easily assign persons with capable language skills to those tickets.

Barak
20-08-04, 16:38
To be honest they should have gone ALL 1 slot or ALL 4+ Slot servers none of this mix and match rubbish it's just made things more awkward.

Vendiria TSC
20-08-04, 16:43
Everyone speaks english.

A great part of the french community is composed of Role Players and they do not want to have to use a dictionnary to be able to roleplay with other players. It is simply impossible for them to roleplay in an other language.

Yes they are able to say: "Who can poke me?" but it is not the level of language they use to use with their character in the role playing game.

mishkin
20-08-04, 17:00
One server = bigger population, better support, more events... not a new idea ( I said it like 2 months ago ) but a very good one ;)

Walsh
20-08-04, 17:04
This is what everyone wanted even before nc went retail, KK basically told us to get stuffed because the hardware couldn't handle it :(

Vampire222
20-08-04, 17:10
This is what everyone wanted even before nc went retail, KK basically told us to get stuffed because the hardware couldn't handle it :(

Basically, thats bull, it should be possible, just requires cluster computing

mishkin
20-08-04, 17:22
Basically, thats bull, it should be possible, just requires cluster computing

Aren't the servers already clusters of machines...? :wtf:

Ralendil
20-08-04, 17:24
A great part of the french community is composed of Role Players and they do not want to have to use a dictionnary to be able to roleplay with other players. It is simply impossible for them to roleplay in an other language.

Yes they are able to say: "Who can poke me?" but it is not the level of language they use to use with their character in the role playing game.

a good summary of what think majority of french communauty (not all).

I think Neocron isn't made to have one single server.
Too many peoples that doesn't speak english on non-english servers.

And for OPs war ? it will allow only few clans to make op wars...

and the most important.. Neocron server (= the servers) isn't builded to manage all accounts in one "server". It is really different to manage all accounts on a same server and manage all accounts splitted between several servers.

So I summarize...
1./ Communauties are differents and some members of them doesn't understand the english...
2./ The world isn't made for huge population.
3./ The servers are not made to support all players into one 'world'.
and 4./ NC2 will have to be available in september... don't you think it is a little late for KK to change entirely the servers management ?

EDIT:
For clusters... yes I think it is clusters..But cluster is a word and there are many ways to manage all informations depending of your goal (one server/several, one character / many, etc....).
It is not as simple as you seem to think it is.

Scikar
20-08-04, 18:07

I think it is more realistic that there are people in the world who you cannot communicate with easily. Remember that before Neocron, the population was split into tribes with different backgrounds. It makes perfect sense that these tribes might speak different languages. People descended from those tribes are now living in Neocron, and it is understandable that some of them do not speak English. Now, each faction would then find itself with 3 mini-communities, so they would have one FC for each (which we already have, there are 2 FCs per faction on the KK servers, 1 English, 1 German, and 1 French FC for each faction on Venus). Nobody would be left out, since the support and GM staff could all be combined.

Crowding-wise though, I can see why some people are concerned. Neocron itself would not be a problem. There is plenty more room in NC for more players, and with a large population it would be easy to setup tradeskill centres in Via Rosso, Plaza 4, or in clubs in Pepper maybe. The problem comes with the wastelands and OPs. I think for this idea to really work, KK would need to add a new continent extending towards New Tokyo. :)

kerdezixe
20-08-04, 19:03
Everyone speaks english.

Ok, maybe everyone is able to say "hello" "looking for something" "thank you" "f*ck ya bastard" and so on ..

BUT just a few german or french can UNDERSTAND things like "Crowding-wise though, I can see why some people are concerned. Neocron itself would not be a problem. There is plenty more room in NC for more players, and with a large population it would be easy to setup tradeskill centres in Via Rosso, Plaza 4, or in clubs in Pepper maybe. The problem comes with the wastelands and OPs. I think for this idea to really work, KK would need to add a new continent extending towards New Tokyo.".

Speak or write basic english is a problem but UNDERSTSAND english is a big deal.

And what about "shity l33t speak from native english player" ?
"stfu noob !!11 kill teh bastard or i kill u be4 i kill'em all" ? he will die before he can decrypt this thing.

Sometime it's hard to understand leet-speak from our native langage (mine is french), think about a french trying to understand common-leet-gamerz-english... O_o

e.g : i can read and write basic english but i don't understand "Crowding-wise though" and can't find it in a english/french dictionary.

Scikar
20-08-04, 19:27
e.g : i can read and write basic english but i don't understand "Crowding-wise though" and can't find it in a english/french dictionary.

Crowding-wise just means regarding crowding, or in this case, regarding the crowding issue. I don't think it's too much of a problem though, because you will be very unlikely to see that kind of language in-game.

eldiabloz
20-08-04, 19:34
If the server can handle so many people i agree :)

kerdezixe
20-08-04, 19:38
If the server can handle so many people i agree :)

no, you don't. :rolleyes:

KK should have 3 server :

French 2 slot
German 2 slot
International 4 slot

Psycho_Soldier
20-08-04, 19:44
no, you don't. :rolleyes:

KK should have 3 server :

French 2 slot
German 2 slot
International 4 slot

Why should German's and French get their own servers while english don't?

kerdezixe
20-08-04, 19:49
Why should German's and French get their own servers while english don't?

doh!
Because most of ppl here think that international langage is english and i think it's true ...
it's just about langage... if not, you should add an american server, a texan server :D , an irish server, a canadian server, etc ...

You can s/international/english/ ... but we'll need an additional international server :D

greendonkeyuk
20-08-04, 19:50
thats like saying why dont all the dutch people get their own server or all the people from spain or whatever. germany gets its own server as some german people made the game, the french have one as alchemic dream is french i believe.

however, the idea of having the whole of nc/doy actually populated warms my heart so i vote 5 stars for this thread.

whifix
20-08-04, 19:51
For skills and trade there are seperate channels that could be used but current are not since everyone is in Neocron. I would love to see a day when the population count is high enough to have multiple locations or continnents for people to exsist in. Currently there is little reason for people to live in locations like TG of FA since everyone congragates to P2 for tradeskill. If there was perhaps a system in place that would require you to identify with a certain location and in doing so you would reap certain benefits and penalties that might be enough to entice people to goto other locations. For example, maybe tokyo 2 residents had access to technology that was locked for characters defined as tokyo 2 residents. Like Jet packs and special vehicles. And maybe DoY residents would have access to special armors that had build in shields that drasticly reduces damage from energy and xray attacks for a small chargeable duration of time. Meanwhile neocron kept the benefits in place like the moveon and pp resistor chip.

Opar
20-08-04, 20:10
2 servers = yes.

1 = no.

Okay, one server would be GREAT for using up watsed zones, ie - Plaza 4, Industrial zones, Pepper Park, Outzone etc. But my god, imagine the spam :\

Vampire222
20-08-04, 20:19
lol nah, cause the server would always have enough kk employees on to punish anyone spamming trade... and the server will be self regulating.. wont be fun to be kos'ed by all of the server when its got 300 ppl on steady

..i..DemonX
20-08-04, 20:52

What u mean? How or what is that?

Gunkl
20-08-04, 21:02
the idea could be interesting

Nixon
20-08-04, 21:24
Imagine chaos caves and MC5. 8|

imagine mb raids by tg... *sighs*

Crimson Duelist
20-08-04, 23:34
all i have to say is... server goes down every day from massive overloads of people, and nc2 is shutdown after a week with no money back

tomparadox
21-08-04, 06:41
Why does everyone have to congregate in plaza? trade skillers will go were the people are, the people will follow the trade skillers = eventualy there would probly be one or 2 main zones for it all like plaza 1/2...

Assuming the new servers will handles thousands of players, I don't think it is a very good idea anyways. The Neocron world is just too small. Can you imagine 300 people in plaza all kneeling for pokes, the DM spam you would get selling stuff, 50 nibs in aggies camping the first room... 8| i agree, i dont think the server could handle that many people and even if it could the world is small for that ammount of people. it *might* make it interesting, thats assuming NC2/DoY brings a lot more people....

edit: but if they can make it a 4 char server, and have it be stable, and not have zone probles, sure why not...

Although, this also brings up the problem what about all of our other chars? i have 4 chars on saturn 1 on pluto and 4 more on uranus, thats per account and i have 2 accounts... If you make one server the other 5 of my chars are going to be wasted...

Heavyporker
22-08-04, 06:13
Considering the direction BDoY is taking... sure, why not? One mega-server would make for a gee-whiz bang time for all, 2 slots just to appease the multi-charrers, plus if KK hasn't taken out the incity-aggie pits (and changed them over to something else) that only means the Outzone and low-radiation Wasteland places will have an actual population count.

Birkoff
22-08-04, 07:46
one international 2 slot server
one international 4 slot server

= teh win veeryone happy.

The game might be German, coded by Germans moderated by Germans have its advertising and promotions souly in Germany(atm) but i think 99% of people are much more concered about there items having fun and server population than having everyone on there server talk there language. Hell a lot of people on pluto are thinking seriously about going to the 1 slot german server just purely on the bases they don't like the idea of pple having 12 alts all over the place.

maver!ck
22-08-04, 12:44
ahhh fuck it
every 1 just go to the 4 slot int sever :D :D :D :D
that was may idea, aswell. But all those other germans prefer playing on a german server: http://neocron.jafc.de/showthread.php?t=106886

solling
22-08-04, 13:28
lol just imagine how big the *big * clans that hold ops will get

we will have 400+ peops in the uba clan who wants that ?

Dajuda
22-08-04, 13:33
Best idea ever.