PDA

View Full Version : A rather weird Neocron review

garyu69
19-08-04, 12:37
http://www.extra-life.org.uk/articles/article.php?id=a99

not sure whether to laugh or cry :wtf:

Masentaja
19-08-04, 12:52
People like him should be hanged, he doesn't know jack about Neocron.
But theeere he goes, ranting and writing about subject he doesn't know.

ino
19-08-04, 12:57
Well :). Seems to be "quite" old the review but still doesnt seem that he put that much effort in to getting the flow of the game so to speak. If you want to be like that sure you might consider the fighting turnbased or whatever he called it, something has to calculate your skill and your weapon vs the victims armor and health and con resists. But it is still nontheless you that fires and fires at your will and stops at your will. And just random and luck isnt rightful either :).

But he might not be the neocron type, nor the explorer type from what it seems. Mostly that is the fact with most reviewers who review a game.

mishkin
19-08-04, 13:04
Hahaha, that's some funny shit. :D It's a bit sad though, and the worst part is that he's right in so many ways... :(

/edit

Neocron isn't turnbased combat, but it's not pure fps-combat either... ever noticed how you fire a burst while moving your cross-hair across a wall, and someone stands in the middle of the burst... if you didn't target him when you pressed the mouse-button, he didn't get hit o_O

Benjie
19-08-04, 13:10
It's bullshit. He's a fucking noob for crying out loud, he should not have graced us with that pathetic review.

Spermy
19-08-04, 13:12
Shame that, he went really deep about the basics, but never stayed to see the resto of the stuff. He played a couple of weeks? What? No rares? No clna membership? No OP fights? NO FIGHTNIGHT?! :wtf:

Gah, Most games of this type are hard to review, cos to excel at them and open up all the features you have to be die hard. But a review is meant to be unbiased.

He put little effort in, and said it was crap. Hmmm. What did he expect?

Genty
19-08-04, 13:17
You guys are so 2 months ago (http://neocron.jafc.de/showthread.php?t=101882).

It's bullshit. He's a fucking noob for crying out loud, he should not have graced us with that pathetic review.

You need to seriously calm down and get a grip.

ichinin
19-08-04, 13:20
Thankfully, I saw a lack of PKing in the game- or else I could have found myself dying randomly at the hands of people who needed their own faction sympathy.

Is he SURE it was NEOCRON he was playing? :D

garyu69
19-08-04, 13:22
You guys are so 2 months ago (http://neocron.jafc.de/showthread.php?t=101882).
heh, i even replied to that topic

Benjie
19-08-04, 13:35
You need to seriously calm down and get a grip.
Fuck off, I just woke up! :p

Spermy
19-08-04, 13:38
Fuck off, I just woke up! :p

8|

MYGODS!

Tis the afternoon benj.

Benjie
19-08-04, 13:39
8|

MYGODS!

Tis the afternoon benj.
Aye, the joys of being unempolyed! :rolleyes:

Spermy
19-08-04, 13:41
Aye, the joys of being unempolyed! :rolleyes:

Aye, need to start working, got a uni mate coming tommorrow, so will hopefully spur me into work mode to get my debt paid off and get my ass back!

Walsh
19-08-04, 13:48
Or maybe I'm just looking too deeply into crap game design. Whatever

Maybe :lol:. But yeah, the review is obviously out of date, no mention of MC5 newb area, but he is right on so many counts.

LiL T
19-08-04, 13:50
Incidentally, like in GTA3, you can kill certain prostitutes hanging around on the street corners, and like in GTA3, you receive a monetary (and EXP) reward, but nobody's sued CDV for publishing this. Wonder why...?

WTF is he on about I'm pretty sure NEO was around a while before GTA3 :wtf:

Genty
19-08-04, 13:56
WTF is he on about I'm pretty sure NEO was around a while before GTA3 :wtf:

He is refering to how rockstar got sued for rewarding people who kill prostitutes. Or something like that. Getting at the fact that Rockstar got sued as it is a widely known and played game and Neocron is not.

Clownst0pper
19-08-04, 14:05
The sense I got was..

"Ill review this game, even though I havent truely played it, just because I can"

Ignore such articles, they reach very few people, and you can sense a sort of silly ignorance there anyway.

IceStorm
19-08-04, 14:06
Shame that, he went really deep about the basics, but never stayed to see the resto of the stuff. He played a couple of weeks? What? No rares?I didn't start hunting for rareparts until three or four months after retail's start.
No clna membership?Who was recruiting? At that time I believe we were waiting for KK to tell us that BDOY was to be delayed to September.
No OP fights?No clan...
NO FIGHTNIGHT?!I've never been to a Fight Night. Fight Night is held at a time I'm not typically online. There isn't a big enough playerbase to hold Fight Night at several times in one day, apparently.

Spermy
19-08-04, 14:08
I didn't start hunting for rareparts until three or four months after retail's start.Who was recruiting? At that time I believe we were waiting for KK to tell us that BDOY was to be delayed to September.No clan...I've never been to a Fight Night. Fight Night is held at a time I'm not typically online. There isn't a big enough playerbase to hold Fight Night at several times in one day, apparently.

in that case - statement retracted.

Dirk_Gently
19-08-04, 14:12
He clearly has a different version of the game to me O_o . His sounds more like SWG.

Marx
19-08-04, 14:18
We're actually able to use prostitutes? Since when?

:wtf:

Clownst0pper
19-08-04, 14:21
We're actually able to use prostitutes? Since when?

:wtf:

Marx, dont knock his review, hes played Neocron INDEPTH - He knows what hes on about! :rolleyes: :p

Marx
19-08-04, 14:24
Marx, dont knock his review, hes played Neocron INDEPTH - He knows what hes on about! :rolleyes: :pDamn - I'm such a nib. :(

ex-machina
19-08-04, 14:32
Better than most reviews. Of course he's a noob. People that read reviews and decide to pick up the game are too.

Lareolan
19-08-04, 15:26
Heh, amusing... I can tell you one thing, if NC2 flops totally the net will be full of disappointed ex-players writing forum posts and "reviews" to turn potential new players away. (More reason for KK not to drop the ball on NC2 at the very least if they want to keep the rolexes flowing)

evs
19-08-04, 16:11
To be honest, apart from his own techno-nibbery with his own machine - i found it to be quite a decent review and overview for the casual gamer.

He's writing from a new players point of view and not an 'old grizzled veterans' view.

The depth he goes into is not bad, and althought a newish player, he does touch upon low population, treadmill levelling, bad mission system, poor newbie introduction and poor pvp physics - but also does give a good overview on the rest of the game and snippets of info on various different bits of the game such as factions, sights and sounds and places to go.

Neocron IS very hard to get into - especially solo.

Most dont make the trip - and those that do often get a fanatical link to the game as they managed to break into one of the 'hardest to join' MMO's in the last few years.

It's issues like that KK need to clear up - and clear up good.
And its good to get reminders from new players how hard it is.

Ryuben
19-08-04, 16:24
Neocron isn't turnbased combat, but it's not pure fps-combat either... ever noticed how you fire a burst while moving your cross-hair across a wall, and someone stands in the middle of the burst... if you didn't target him when you pressed the mouse-button, he didn't get hit o_O
My cs would hurt him spray dmg

and my mal

my Barrel

kthxbye

other weapons do dmg as soon as u click, the rest is just for show

Glok
19-08-04, 16:31
Don't forget grenade launchers. :)

Spermy
19-08-04, 16:48
Don't forget grenade launchers. :)

Bane of my early existence.

[TgR]KILLER
19-08-04, 16:54
just read 4 lines but aint gonna continue :p

The game itself is played in the first person, and combat is handled similarly to that of a first-person shooter. This is, however, purely cosmetic- all attacks are turn based, which gives a feeling of reduced control- projectile attacks (Gunfire, Psychic) appear to be more luck than skill.

so we'r playing a turned based game guys :p don't shoot back when i start shooting you will ya. you gotta wait your turn :p

gues he never found the button to go 3rd person eighter lol.

Dirk_Gently
19-08-04, 17:34
KILLER']
so we'r playing a turned based game guys :p don't shoot back when i start shooting you will ya. you gotta wait your turn :p

I think he means that the moment you fire your gun the hit calculation is done and dusted. Just watch how Sniper Rifle rounds home in on their target.

He of course didn't say that

G.0.D.
19-08-04, 19:29
What was wrong with his review, It sums up what the average new player goes through. Theres something wrong with neocrons integration of fresh meat and it needs to be addressed.

Edit: sure it didnt sound like a real review, more or less an under educated piece of white trash writing about the perdy colors he saw flashing on his thinker box. But never the less his impressions are valid.

Viper Venom
19-08-04, 21:31
negative, teh review is good, but the game shoudlnt be changed to more nibish ways, mearly more explination on the game should be included wether it is by players (train ur very own man from nib to valuable super vet in 3 easy septs) or kk providing mroe info about evrything incame, come on relese those ceres disks, teh knowale of the game should be stored on city come, including locations, some basic info on rares, data base of wepon types damage types and so on, city come should previde detailed information to help noobs,

if the game is made more nib friendly by chantging things in the engien ( LIKE THE DREDED WEPON PARTS ARGH, IME NEVER GONA LET THAT DROP,. BACK TO GUN BARRELS AND CHEMS) the vets wont be happy, basicaly u need a better manule like

"all runners are advised to avoid the el... erm.. fire cave place (DAM I CAN NEVER SPEL THAT ARGH) adn swamp caves, and like the things u amy come up agains, like a file with a 3d rotatable doom reaper clasifiing its right arm as shooting large fire balls and hacving thick skin with masive fire protection bla bla bla... dam u kk, why dont u read any of my posts,

prf when ime rich im gona buy ur dam company and fix it (shakes lotterie ticket and crosses fingers)

Underground
19-08-04, 21:39
The game itself is played in the first person, and combat is handled similarly to that of a first-person shooter. This is, however, purely cosmetic- all attacks are turn based, which gives a feeling of reduced control- projectile attacks (Gunfire, Psychic) appear to be more luck than skill.

o
m
f
g
:lol:

Blargius
19-08-04, 21:53
Lagging from USA to Germany does take some of the real away from 'real time'. He's not too far off on saying it's turn-based if he lags like I do.

BUT I STILL LOVE YA SATURN! YOU HOBBLED OLD KRAUT! :lol:

Viper Venom
19-08-04, 22:00
wtf u on about, es right, it aint FPS, its like a fps clone, we see pritty bullets but they arnt real, ( IN CERTAIN CASES, dont forget guns that dont need targets to shoot, dont have targets to shoot, there shooting the first object they come across) all non uber weps (as mentioned in the last bracket) shoot only where they were recorded to shoot when u clicked, reticycle is useless, when its fully closed, and ur aiming on the edge of a person, u hit them, that large part of the reticycle of them dosnt matter, even if u only see a milimeter of a alm pokeing around a corner. bt hey, its as close to FPS that u can get withough tons of complicated equations tasking my poor icle proseres with bullet telemitry and so on :( (when u se a bulet on ur screen its jus the client interpriting one person shot the other person got hit, bullets stalk the ppl)

erm that is AFAICT, we all seen bullets stalk ppl, u cant out run them, lag means if the ppl could outrun, nobody whould shoot anybody cos the transfer gap of where ppl are

Viper Venom
19-08-04, 22:02
it is kinda turnbased, if u dont look at it indepth (both hold finger on fire, standing there hitting each otherm come on ppl, he said he was in the suwers, hes hardly gona circle straif teh bloody rats) , he hasnt tested teh game like us, but then were only here cos we did test the game fully, imagoin all the ppl like him who tested teh game a bit and came to teh same conclution

shend
19-08-04, 22:22
i often wonder with what kind of expectations people start playing a MMORPG.
RPG without leveling is like a swimming pool without water. Sure u can still use it for various purposes, but not for swimming. Being antisocial in a MMorpg is another weird attitude. Sure you can solo, but solo-ing as the single gaming style is a bit weird for neocron. When playing a non online game you have replayability zero, yet few complain. online games are what you make of it, but here all of teh sudden people expect a game master, event organiser per player.
sorry, but most people just aren't reviewing the stuff that suites them the best, and while evry opinion is in se interesting, it also should include a readers warning that the writer might be biased and in some cases a totaml retard. ( i don't think its the case here, but you get the point, right?)
its like a born again christian reviewing black metal

Benjie
19-08-04, 22:36
Oki twas meh I ARM ADMITED IT!111 I writt vat reviw k? now i fink vat it is teh fare and plane n u nibs fink u now shit but u dunt! gta is at least 22 yrs older van neocrap-review, i r suing kk for coping sony!!! by the way ps2 > pc coz pcs are old and ps2 is new and therefore more powerfull, and mi revew is accurate and it rox so fu nibs. i r teh 1337 sony fanboi nc reviewer. I r forgot to mention that nc has 0 pk even tho it is red=dead but i did it so nibs wud com and diue finking its sw;g which tbh is > nc. i r teh 1337 sw:g sony fanboi nc review!!1o oh and u only need 2 play this for week untill u now its not as good as gta which has even more hookers tbh, now to stick as styupid pic of me on the bottom of mi review so i dunt get mi legs broken.

Viper Venom
19-08-04, 23:32
fyi, my bros icle pentium 90 could out strip a crappy ps2 ;) ps2 is for ultimate choobs who cant use a mouse aiming and has to have autoaim on, dam u noobs of noobie joypad noobness, i am curently building a hardware converter for my mouse and keyboard so i can fuk over all evil ps2 users muhahahahaha, oh look ur shooting and missing while i CoD u alll muhahahahahahaha

tbh why would nabody buy a ps2 online adapter though, only good game is socom and thats crap

mmmm think i got a bit oftopic

NeoChick
20-08-04, 01:09
quoting from the article: "Maybe it's the early stage of the game that I'm at, in that I haven't made any real effort to integrate myself into the community yet, but still, no email."

So what does he expect, the whole world to notice oh here is a noob let's send him an email?
I think this guy is not looking for a game actually, he is looking for a dating agency or similar.
His whole article is geared to the 'interaction' and that after just starting out as a noob. And somebody even gave the drip 10,000 to get him started. Ungrateful twit.

Pathetic article by a very ignorant person.

and quoting Shend: "its like a born again christian reviewing black metal"
hahahahah Shend, exactly right

Shadow Dancer
20-08-04, 01:27
So what does he expect, the whole world to notice oh here is a noob let's send him an email?
I think this guy is not looking for a game actually, he is looking for a dating agency or similar.

lmfao Neochick, I was thinking the same thing.

CerealKiller
20-08-04, 08:10
Wow, that guy is kind of a dick. Didn't do much research, how fair is it to compare Neocron? A game with a considerably smaller budget than oh, Square-Enix, or SONY? Jesus, KK doesn't have the millions (and billions) of dollars to chuck into a project at any given time, and talk about exaggerating, that guy is a bit of an ass.

Mattimeo
20-08-04, 10:18
Wow, that guy is kind of a dick. Didn't do much research, how fair is it to compare Neocron? A game with a considerably smaller budget than oh, Square-Enix, or SONY? Jesus, KK doesn't have the millions (and billions) of dollars to chuck into a project at any given time, and talk about exaggerating, that guy is a bit of an ass.

So KK should be forgiven a shitty newb experiance because they're cheap?

The guys experiance is a common one. The game in the begining makes no sense and there's 0 reference to help you. Thus, like most new people to the game he was turned off and quit.

"oh no he barely played the game the review is unfair" buy a clue people, this is how the newbs see the game, it IS a fair review.