PDA

View Full Version : [OT] server access

garyu69
19-08-04, 10:57
Got a bit of a weird question.
In work we give out access to a scientific journal which allows those who have access to it the ability to download PDF's and view full texts of articles.

It seems that someone wants to get someone in trouble and we have been told that this one company has access through a username/password to this content, but somehow they are then selling this access onto their customers.

The username can only be used the once, so say someone is logged in with it no one else in the world can log in at the same time so we know they are not handing the details out.

But can somehow someone set up a server that will be logged in with a username and password and then other people can then log into this server somehow, granting them full access to the content through this companies access?

Their a dutch company and i can't make any sense of their website http://www.nvalt.nl/pub/

any ideas if they could be doing this? and if so is there anyway to prove it?

sanityislost
19-08-04, 11:08
Gary.........thanx for breaking my brain at 10am :/

*pops some pills*

squeeeeeee

SiL ..:..

garyu69
19-08-04, 11:10
heh, sorry SiL.
Just started work :D

Scikar
19-08-04, 11:13
I'm not sure I'm understanding this right, but all they would need to do is log in once. If they can see it, they can copy it. They would then be able to do whatever they wanted (i.e. upload it to their own ftp). So I guess the way to prove it might be to see if you can find it one of their servers or something. Bit of detective work. :)

garyu69
19-08-04, 11:18
well their e-mail address used to register the account is info@nvaltbibliotheek.nl and when i tried www.nvaltbibliotheek.nl i just get a forbidden access to server.

I've just been on their website and tried to register but got turned down for something which i have no idea what it said. So i've mailed their helpdesk in dutch, using a dutch translator :-\ to see if they can drop any hints to what they sell access to.

Scikar
19-08-04, 11:24
I don't think using something like babelfish to send an email in dutch is likely to get you much of a response. You're better off sending it in english, since english is fairly well spoken in the Netherlands, or alternatively ask one of the dutch folk here to translate for you. A software translator will just get you a LOL reply. :)

garyu69
19-08-04, 11:33
bah, the e-mail came back undeliverable, lol.

I think i am just going to let someone else do it now, i can't be bothered, i leave in 21 days anyway, :D

RayBob
19-08-04, 11:39
But can somehow someone set up a server that will be logged in with a username and password and then other people can then log into this server somehow, granting them full access to the content through this companies access?Yes, it’s possible and easy.

…is there anyway to prove it?That won’t be easy. You might want to impose a limit on how many documents each account can download per month.

garyu69
19-08-04, 11:45
That won’t be easy. You might want to impose a limit on how many documents each account can download per month.unfortunately the system that controls the accounts that access the sites is so crap that there is no way of doing that. Best bet is going to be to get someone to register on the site and get in and find out that way.