PDA

View Full Version : Name Theft!!!

sn8
18-08-04, 23:33
OK how baout this...

Its going to be possible for people to steal other chr names. Is there going to be a way of stopping this. Most people have built up a reputation good and bad with there name and it would be a shame for some nib to steal someones name just because he logged on first.....

Thoughts?

enigma_b17
18-08-04, 23:35
aye good idea :)

S a W
18-08-04, 23:36
Yup dont know if I could handle someone taking my main character name.

Dirk_Gently
18-08-04, 23:36
Yeah I was a bit worried about that especially as servers are merging.

Don't see that KK could do much though.

-Demon-
18-08-04, 23:38
OK how baout this...

Its going to be possible for people to steal other chr names. Is there going to be a way of stopping this. Most people have built up a reputation good and bad with there name and it would be a shame for some nib to steal someones name just because he logged on first.....

Thoughts?

I did ask this in the name filter thread...no one bothered answering. I would like to know this too. I see no way of doing it though at the moment as they have 1 server there is bound to be conflicts.

Plus sn8 you are going to have a mare as you have to rename alot of your chars anyway. :(

zii
18-08-04, 23:40
I imagine that it would be on a first come first served basis, which I dislike as I quite like my char names. I'd be ill for a while seeing someone else there called me. Still, it gives me a valid reason to run after them with big gun :-)

-FN-
18-08-04, 23:47
*writes script to hammer signup server so I can be Shadow Dancer in NC2* :p

Scikar
18-08-04, 23:49
*writes script to hammer signup server so I can be Shadow Dancer in NC2* :p
You have a deathwish or something? o_O

:D

cRazy2003
18-08-04, 23:50
i really hope they do have some sort of reserve, it would be horrible if anyone quit because there name was taken.

zii
18-08-04, 23:56
i really hope they do have some sort of reserve, it would be horrible if anyone quit because there name was taken.

I'd be surprised if someone did, but egos can get a bit out of control though :)

(give me back my epic items:(

Shadow Dancer
18-08-04, 23:57
I'm going to call myself Fucknut.

NS_CHROME54
19-08-04, 00:24
i'll be nathan profit :)

[TgR]KILLER
19-08-04, 00:43
lol i will quit if anybody takes my name..

but since i gotta change it anyway :( i got 4 new names for 4 chars that nobody knows.. and damn if they are taken.... lol.

Underground
19-08-04, 00:48
i'll be nathan profit :)

:lol:

doubt anyone remembers him much now lol

Shadow Dancer
19-08-04, 00:57
Actually I think a better name for me would be Fenyx or Fenix.

jernau
19-08-04, 00:58
Its going to be possible for people to steal other chr names.
It is?

Where does it say that?

Genty
19-08-04, 01:16
No Reputation to steal from my chars. You can steal Jessica Pinch and I will just change it...no biggie, same goes for all my chars. (although James Danmund has that surname for a good reason)

Birkoff
19-08-04, 01:31
KK fucked me over with the name filter so i guess it dont matter

RayBob
19-08-04, 01:36
I was thinking the same thing. You are going to see a lot of people trying to snatch up the popular names if only as another way of griefing someone they don't like. It will be especially bad since the server is multi-character. I wouldn't be surprised if some people resort to using an empty slot just for this purpose.

Glok
19-08-04, 02:04
If someone steals one of my names and makes grief with it, who cares? I will no longer be under that name, I will choose another and make a new reputation. :)

Gohei
19-08-04, 02:05
Gotta admit it would suck to have someone running around with ur chars name...

Lucid Dream
19-08-04, 02:09
First off, they should make it so that you cannot create a new character with a name already used by ANY NAME in the database.. so, if you want to make the character "Billy Bob" in nc2, it first checks to see if "Billy Bob" exists anywhere on the database, if it does not exist, then it makes the char, if it does exist, then a person must choose a different name.

If 2 people have characters with the same name (for example,lets say Lucid Dream on pluto, and Lucid Dream on saturn are 2 different players, who had the same name at the time the chars were put in the database) when moving to the new server, the first one of them to convert gets the name, second person has to pick a new name or new server, this way, the only way to grief it would be to make a new character before NC2 with the same name as another player.

Dirk_Gently
19-08-04, 02:14
If two people have the same name then the one with the longest ACTIVE account should get it.

i.e. Person with active account for 18 months should get it ahead of someone who joined the game 2 months earlier but cancelled their account 6 months ago.

Lucid Dream
19-08-04, 02:17
If two people have the same name then the one with the longest ACTIVE account should get it.

i.e. Person with active account for 18 months should get it ahead of someone who joined the game 2 months earlier but cancelled their account 6 months ago.

This would be preferrable, sure, well, I would prefer character life time instead of account life time though..

Dirk_Gently
19-08-04, 02:22
This would be preferrable, sure, well, I would prefer character life time instead of account life time though..

That's what I meant.

Sorry I had one of them moments where I wrote total crap..............happens alot. o_O

Barak
19-08-04, 02:40
well some bastard has Barak on Saturn and uranus ffs

this big server merge is gunna work out wierdly

retr0n
19-08-04, 03:27
Yes, i'm going to be stealing other peoples names, because it's so much fun... o_O

NeoChick
19-08-04, 03:30
Quote: "writes script to hammer signup server so I can be Shadow Dancer in NC2*
_______________________________________________-

Hey, I wanted that name! now I have to stay up all night to be first come first serve :D
OK Scikar don't kill me I am only pulling your leg

ichinin
19-08-04, 09:04
It is currently possible, but that's gonna change when the name filter kick in so noone can steal a name and put . after it then go on calling everyone c**ksuckers on Trade-NC and destroy peoples rep.

Crest
19-08-04, 09:23
Sn8 would not be a valide name, so you goto change that one anyways ....

About reputation, everyone has built up alliances, and within to those alliances the names are not important , its the people behind them.

Name Change forces the following
1) People to Create new alliances
2) People to start from scratch
3) Creative thinking, if your name is gone, then you can call yourself snail cause heye, no one else has

I would not be happy if I lost my identity on Saturn, as those who knew me , knew me as a 'Good Guy' .... where as on uranus, playing a bad boy ... I have been called many names, none of them nice

Original monk
19-08-04, 09:34
:lol:

doubt anyone remembers him much now lol

i remember nathan very clearly :) as also he's cool poisonflamer i took after me and max jefferson teamed up to keel em :)

we where all poor noobs tired of getting wasted by he's overpowerd flamer :)

he's been banned long time ago for exploiting beyond believe i guess ...

but to stay ontopic: anyone even thinking of stealing my name, dont look suprised when suddenly someone is standing at youre frontdoor with a piece of rope, some matches and a theespoon ... yes me, and ya dont even wonna know what i gonna do with em ...

winnoc
19-08-04, 09:55
Oh, i allready made me a new char named
Unoriginal monk :D
My other chars are going to be Ezzo, Townstopper, .... hehehehe

No, seriously i think it's cool to change the names. Got me some nice new ones lined up but all will be recognisable as being the same char.

Will be kind of hard to find people once you've gone over to NC2.
Clans being disbanded etc....

I guess we'll be using voicecoms a lot to reestablish the clans etc....

The Ottoman
19-08-04, 10:10
I'll be using the same names too. Just gonna add an original surname(wich of course is top-secret at the moment).

Scikar
19-08-04, 11:10
Quote: "writes script to hammer signup server so I can be Shadow Dancer in NC2*
_______________________________________________-

Hey, I wanted that name! now I have to stay up all night to be first come first serve :D
OK Scikar don't kill me I am only pulling your leg
I think you missed that one. I was joking about Shadow's reputation. I couldn't care less if you took the name Shadow Dancer. :)

Take any of my character names though and you will die, painfully. :D

LiL T
19-08-04, 11:40
If someone takes my main chars name I won't be fucking happy I prolly quit :(

mishkin
19-08-04, 11:44
If someone takes my any names, I'll sue them for breaking the trademark/copyright rules :D

winnoc
19-08-04, 11:50
I've been surfing the internet for a couple of hours and i've come up with 8 perfect names for my chars.....

Funny versions:
6 of them are linked by something, two of them are just plain funny names.

Normal versions:
Will contain Winno% and something behind it.

Not sure which ones i'm gonna choose yet, i think i'll mix em and use a couple of chars for OMG ROLEPLAY :-)

Praetorian
19-08-04, 11:52
well some bastard has Barak on Saturn and uranus ffs

this big server merge is gunna work out wierdly

And someone other than me made a praetorian on Saturn and Uranus as well... O_o

It would suck so much if KK turns a blind eye on this...

I really hope they will let the first person who picked the name be allowed to keep it...

CarniFlex
19-08-04, 11:56
if I loose my names id just go make up new ones. Probably add something in style with Sir CarniFlex or Lord marshall CarniFlex...

ezza
19-08-04, 12:20
feel free to steal my name

Dim
19-08-04, 12:25
i remember nathan very clearly :) as also he's cool poisonflamer i took after me and max jefferson teamed up to keel em :)

he's been banned long time ago for exploiting beyond believe i guess ...

but to stay ontopic: anyone even thinking of stealing my name, dont look suprised when suddenly someone is standing at youre frontdoor with a piece of rope, some matches and a theespoon ... yes me, and ya dont even wonna know what i gonna do with em ...
You could always change your name to Unoriginal Monk :p

Max Jefferson
19-08-04, 12:49

he's been banned long time ago for exploiting beyond believe i guess ... Heh, if only peoples' items received special titles after killing a certain number of people with them, like "Nathan Profit the Terrible's Spraycan Flamer" for 100+ rank 0/2 kills, or "Max Jefferson's Mildy Abrasive LIberator" after a 1:100 kill death ratio has been acheived.

Original monk
19-08-04, 14:02
Heh, if only peoples' items received special titles after killing a certain number of people with them, like "Nathan Profit the Terrible's Spraycan Flamer" for 100+ rank 0/2 kills, or "Max Jefferson's Mildy Abrasive LIberator" after a 1:100 kill death ratio has been acheived.

would be sumthing pretty dynamic in neocron yeah :)

original monk's fearsome furious fists :P

hehe

and before i forget: stay of my name lol, there allready was an original gangster and an original prankster :/ more then enough :/

winnoc
19-08-04, 15:16
Here's some leftover names of my selection list:

Ghost inthe machine - hacker
Happy Hooker - PE epic whore
Spanky Sputnic - pilot driver
Psichotic episode - psi monk
A complete Idiot - leet constructor (how about that 5 slot CS constructed by a complete idiot lol)
Twiceanight Zone - psi monk
Bigguns - hc tank
Cut My Finger - mc tank

I won't be using these, but mine are somewhat like it, so you havea a general idea who i'll be next month :-)

ezza
19-08-04, 15:28
well come NC2 if all goes well with the exception of a select few, not many will know who i am ;)

Original monk
19-08-04, 16:12
well come NC2 if all goes well with the exception of a select few, not many will know who i am ;)

azza ? azzo ? ozza ? ezzi ? exxa ? izzi ? ozzi even ?

it aint gonna be THAT hard :P

ezza
19-08-04, 16:14
haha you wish it would be that easy, only way you will know is if i make a gaff and tell someone.

its aint even gonna be remotly like Ezza :p

winnoc
19-08-04, 16:15
Bah,

Easy, it'll be the first Tank or Monk to start a new clan in Crahn :-)

Probably by the name of UZZI :-)

ezza
19-08-04, 16:19
Bah,

Easy, it'll be the first Tank or Monk to start a new clan in Crahn :-)

Probably by the name of UZZI :-)
lol yamma will still be leader so the moment the clan is setup even if itis me he will be back in charge.

damnit you people its aint a 4 letter word with ZZ in :mad:

i already have a char with the name on my 3rd account that i intend to use.

register acct 1 change my dumb droner called look out below!!!!! to Ezza, then register acct 2 Ezza is taken change tank name to........*deleted*

jernau
19-08-04, 16:21
Unless I missed it KK haven't even confirmed we can all change our names. They said those names which don't pass the filter will have to be changed but when we asked if that meant we all get a go we got their standard response back - silence. There are a lot of assumptions in this thread.

Original monk
19-08-04, 16:22
haha you wish it would be that easy, only way you will know is if i make a gaff and tell someone.

only way i will know for sure is if ya enter pepperpark from plaza 3 on the right and there is a capped HC tank directly standing in the rightcorner/rightarea (over time), then its you :)

you will/can change youre name but not youre habits :)

ezza
19-08-04, 16:23
Unless I missed it KK haven't even confirmed we can all change our names. They said those names which don't pass the filter will have to be changed but when we asked if that meant we all get a go we got their standard response back - silence. There are a lot of assumptions in this thread.
well if i move my first account first with my droner with stupid name as shown above, and name him Ezza as not moved him over, then it will need me to rename Ezza as name is taken, hopefully anyway

only way i will know for sure is if ya enter pepperpark from plaza 3 on the right and there is a capped HC tank directly standing in the rightcorner/rightarea (over time), then its you haha, ya knowingme ill proberbly say alright original its me Ezza

DOH!!! :rolleyes:

Endar
19-08-04, 16:24
I sure as hell hope that noone steals my beloved char name, I have been using this nick for like 6 years... Now if someone actually does steal my name im going to flame him with DMs all the time and everytime I see him hes going to get PKed and belt hacked...

And if I see him in RL... He just has to pray that I dont have any bananas with me... bwahahahaa!

winnoc
19-08-04, 16:37
Lemme see.....

My Droner spy will be named Devils Grace
My PPU will be named Andronicus
My Melee Tank named Jernau

jernau
19-08-04, 16:40
Lemme see.....

My Droner spy will be named Devils Grace
My PPU will be named Andronicus
My Melee Tank named Jernau
Swap me and DG round - makes more sense and people might fall for it :).

winnoc
19-08-04, 16:45
That's the whole point, i don't realy want to fake being you, just have people scratch their heads.

I'm all about confusion and deception. Best i ever did was my ncpd armor melee spy that stealths. Just watching people's replies was worth the 10 min drug haze and the 50000 nc cost for a round of fighting.

Original monk
19-08-04, 16:46
haha, ya knowingme ill proberbly say alright original its me Ezza

DOH!!! :rolleyes:

yeah :) that is if ya know its me :P

ezza
19-08-04, 16:48
yeah :) that is if ya know its me :P
lol true true, nobody is gonna no anyone we will all have diffrent names

winnoc
19-08-04, 16:49
Just imagine people like you guys trying to figure out who is who adn then all those new players comming in too