PDA

View Full Version : Is a U.S. server a real possibility?

RayBob
17-08-04, 12:09
Our goal is to release Neocron 2 in the USA and on the Asian market.Assuming a good publisher is secured for each of these markets, it seems to me that a dedicated Asian and U.S. server are very likely. Both are huge markets and I doubt any publisher would be willing to promote a game if they did not have a server specifically for the market they intend to advertise in.

I am very curious to see what happens in this regard. Both will surely be brand new servers and potentially very active.

hinch
17-08-04, 12:13
"Unfortunatly due to our inability to select or arrange deals with good marketing companies we cannot justify the creation of a dedicated Asian or American server just to support the 20 or so of you that actually play NC2. From now on we kindly request you learn german and use one of the highly populated german servers as we will shortly be shutting down all international servers due to lack of population."

boombang
17-08-04, 12:23
A US server would be great - it'd mean that those lovely ops you spend hours securing wouldn't get taken with no fight at 5am UK time, when we're all tucked up in bed.

Ryuben
17-08-04, 12:27
"Unfortunatly due to our inability to select or arrange deals with good marketing companies we cannot justify the creation of a dedicated Asian or American server just to support the 20 or so of you that actually play NC2. From now on we kindly request you learn german and use one of the highly populated german servers as we will shortly be shutting down all international servers due to lack of population."

:lol: :lol:

only problem is this is an offical statment :eek:

j/k :angel:

cRazy2003
17-08-04, 13:35
com40radio could host a neocron server it even has 1gbps backbone, and that can be streched to.

SilentEye
17-08-04, 14:09
I think you should stop advertising!

hinch
17-08-04, 15:08
com40radio could host a neocron server it even has 1gbps backbone, and that can be streched to.

fk that im pretty sure i have the hardware available to host an NC server.

i would love them to make the nc server opensource or at least downloadable etc similar to the uo shards etc.

DaxAra
17-08-04, 22:00
Neocron.org has a 2gbps backbone... cuz still i only get 100mbps (to share with my home pc btw, that is standing right next to it)
does not mean i want to host an NC server but it says its nothing special to have a 1gbps backbone ;)

i would love them to make the nc server opensource or at least downloadable etc similar to the uo shards etc.
i would like to see it OpenSource ;) but it would kinda kill the entire game ;)

uber java
18-08-04, 05:02
...Neocron.org has a 2gbps backbone...its nothing special to have a 1gbps backbone...Sorry to do this, but I am going to put your 2gbps to shame. I currently own a full server cabinet at a datacenter with a backbone of......10gbps. That 10gbps is just for my cabinet, not the whole datacenter.
==================
Anyways, back on topic.

A United States based server really wouldnt be too viable I don't think. If hardware fails on the machine, it would take longer for the hardware to be replaced because it would have to be shipped. Also, with NC2 coming out, the new servers are "supossed" to be faster, more modern machines which should handel the load a lot better leading to lower ping times. It's been stated someplace that the ping time to the NC Servers ingame is average of like 100-250 for most people, and even then, you hardly notice any lag.

With all the servers being in one central location, it would be easier for maintenance to be done on the machines, faster/easier hardware replacement, easier to track connection issues, network issues, etc. Not to mention, it would be more cost effective to have all the servers in one central area since i'm sure Reakktor owns a whole rack or two, so they have the room, might as well use it instead of spending more money to buy rackspace over in the states on top of the racks they already have at the Level 3 datacenter in Hamburg.

The Hamburg Level 3 facility is actually one of the better datacenters in the Level 3 network, I was their about a month ago with some friends on vacation, and we took a tour of the facility. I was going to take pictures, but they wouldn't let me take my camera in. Wanted to stop by the Reakktor HQ, but I figured they may not like unannounced visitors, and I didn't speak too much German so I didn't know if anyone there would understand English.