PDA

View Full Version : Fun with windows

MrChumble
14-08-04, 11:45
This is a bit of a moan, skip it if you don't want to hear my tales of Windows woe.

Still with me? Sex.

I rolled out of bed and turned on my PC in one fluid well practiced motion. Win2000 kicks in....and Blue Screen of Deaths on me. Arse. I reboot and it does it again. Safe mode with networking, same. Safe mode, same. Reset bios, same. Arse.

I dual boot, so I fire up XP (which I rarely use, it's here for just such emergencies)...yay my system resets at exactly the point 2000 BSODs. Safe mode with networking...same! Safe mode...yay finally I have a booted OS. Not much use to anyone with no mouse and no network (therefore no internet).

I'm writing this on my spare (and very crap) PC. I'm not quite sure how my main box has gone from working fine in both OS's to being a very large and expensive paperweight, and I can't think of anything obvious to try next short of a complete re-install (which is the absolute last resort, I've had this 2000 install for years).

Anyone else had similar tales of woe? Or want to offer some suggestions before I break down and cry like a girly? :p

Endar
14-08-04, 11:50
I once had some virus on my comp and it messed the files up. So the windows restarted everytime the "Windows Xp - Loading" thinky came up. After a while I got angry and formated my HD. Well the comp was sitting the for few days and I felt urge to install the crappy windows again. Well before I did that I visited PC shop and bought second HD and new motherboard.

I reinstalled the windows and needet to reactivate it because I had changed 3 parts in my comp... The Microsoft customer support got one reaaally angry call that day...

MrChumble
14-08-04, 11:54
I reinstalled the windows and needet to reactivate it because I had changed 3 parts in my comp... The Microsoft customer support got one reaaally angry call that day...

This XP activation crap has gotta be the most annoying thing in the world...it's one of the reasons I stuck to Win2000.

But, here's a nice little twist. After writing this thread on my other PC I booted this one again (main box) and now it seems to be working fine O_o

I don't want to reboot incase it all goes fubar again :D

Revslad
14-08-04, 12:01
u have a very magical pc there chumble...

your other pc must have herd u cursing it and elling it you were gonna reformat it.. so it got its arse in line and now works :wtf:

you would have erased your computers entire sexual experences :eek:

:)

rob444
14-08-04, 12:05
Might be a jumpy connection inside your computer, check harddrive cables etc.

MrChumble
14-08-04, 12:08
Might be a jumpy connection inside your computer, check harddrive cables etc.

I didn't think of that, silly me :o

Thanks

Cypher_Psy
14-08-04, 12:15
One thing I had with mine (before upgrading) would be first boot in the morning would mostly not work, but only if it was morning (when it's generally colder)..... Could be a temperature thing.

-Demon-
14-08-04, 12:38
Check your ram as well, dodgy ram or indeed dodgy hdd might cause the errors.
Also if it does happen again try and write down the bluescreen message.
You might want to check the errorlogs should be under \winnt or windows\minidump may give you a clue or at least to post here or send to ms perhaps or a more techie forum.

Good ideas about temperature as well...my old pc had that too, try booting without the side on and see how long it lasts.

Ormy
14-08-04, 13:17
Similar thing happened to me once with an older machine, nothing would fix it, tried for weeks, nothing.

Solution: Take PC case, disconnect all cables, place on hard, solid surface, lift case about 6-8 inches of the surface, and drop. Reconnect everything, and it actually worked. Must've just been a dodgy connection.

numb
14-08-04, 14:02
My PC has been giving me problems for the past 6 months or so, not being able to make an mp3 over 45 minutes or restarting (which is bluescreening in xp) when I play certain games in the day time.

I was thinking of getting a new heatsink + some arctic silver (currently I'm using a retail cpu).

Before I did this, a thought struck my mind; because I've had to keep the side of the case off to help with stability I could see how dusty it was in there so I had a look at the heatsink/fan and it was coated in dust. Got the hoover out, removed all the dust from the heatsink and my pc is as stable as it's ever been. :)

StryfeX
15-08-04, 07:53
Make sure to check the event logs in both Windows 2000 and Windows XP once you get back into them. They can have invaluable info as to what caused that beautiful BSOD. For instance, my computer did that to me once and I checked the logs... it turned out that one of my video driver files had gotten corrupted. Reinstalled the driver and had a working OS again.

Windows can be oh so very flaky.

--Stryfe