PDA

View Full Version : [IW] Let me tell you lot a little story...

Jonax
13-08-04, 00:30
Considering the recent stuff on item wipes, I'd like to make an NC-based topic but hardly related to the IW (Surprised such a thing exists? :p)

Here's a to tell a story about a similar game to Neocron - I'd blanked the memory out until now, but crazy's topic made me remember. :eek:

This isn't the only MMORPG that's been like this - Up until over a year ago, there was another MMOG, a business sim called Starpeace (http://www.gamezone.com/gamesell/p15779.htm). It had a few characteristics similar with Neocron - Passed around several publishers, european flavour, started as a publicly-known closed beta, not the best game around. Hell, even had regular wipes now & then because the economy got screwed up over a year or so regularly (BTW they had public outcries whenever they came around but they ended up being good ideas in terms of gameplay for everyone, but that's beside the point here ;))

Anyway, it got bought by Sega and renamed to Legacy Online (http://pc.ign.com/articles/434/434626p1.html). Again, it had some similar things - Forums had a number of staff who tried everything possible to be fair & friendly to all but ended up being called "unfair", "full of shit" etc so they had to grow a hard skin. Oh, and all the time that Legacy Online was published by Sega, the community screeched constantly worse than Valve declaring a sniper rifle nerf at a Counterstrike convention (not entirely accurate, but you get the drift ;))

What happened? Just over nine months since Sega started publishing/managing it, they dropped the game. LO's developers, Oceanus, declared that they were going to run it themselves - A week later, Oceanus disappeared off the radar.

What's the point of the story? Well for those who played the game then, there were two reasons that were always blamed - Sega's lack of information concerning bugs and requested features (instead, announcing features that no-one asked for including a "lottery system" FFS :wtf: ), and the constant snipings of the community.

KK aren't the best developers in the world - Someone show me an MMOG software house which is the undisputed best. However, the constant sniping heats up the place for everyone concerning the new game.

I'm not asking if everyone's willing to calm down and give KK time - I could imagine the responses if I did :lol: All I'll say is this - You make the bed you sleep in. We, the players of Starpeace/Legacy did and it destroyed the game. Given the similarities between SP/LO and NC, the same could happen here :(

(Oh, and before anyone asks - I did more than my fair share of sniping in LO meself :p)

Benjie
13-08-04, 00:40
I think what your saying is that players being unreasonable and destructive in small mmorpg's can destroy it completely. If thats correct, I completely agree. Things are getting tense in the community at the moment. Reakktor made the desicions they did, and basicly if we don't support it or debate in a mature fashion, we will render Neocron into nothing.

Interesting thread, I enjoyed reading your story.

Spermy
13-08-04, 00:43
I think what your saying is that players being unreasonable and destructive in small mmorpg's can destroy it completely. If thats correct, I completely agree. Things are getting tense in the community at the moment. Reakktor made the desicions they did, and basicly if we don't support it or debate in a mature fashion, we will render Neocron into nothing.

Y'know, if ya read the other forums - we seem to be the only ones getting all antsy. In general of course - my german/french isn't too good, but I can get the gist of things. And Emoticons help too. :p

Jonax
13-08-04, 00:47

Kinda.

TBH the destruction was the fault of both the community and Sega. However, the community was pissed off at things the way they were when Sega took over, Sega hid and didn't reveal much in their lifetime in case the updates' response was piss-poor, and the community responded by attacking however they could and not allowing Sega some room to breathe. It became a Catch-22 that spiralled down into oblivion - As can be seen, literally :(

As for stories, I have a couple dozen of them - Been playing too many MMOGs since '98 ;) Maybe when NC2 comes round, KK can create an NPC copy of me to act as the crazy old woman who tells stories of far-away places with no point in them :lol:

Spermy
13-08-04, 00:48
Kinda.

TBH the destruction was both the fault of the community and Sega. However, the community was pissed off at things the way they were currently, Sega hid and didn't reveal much in case the updates' response was piss-poor, and the community responded by attacking however they could and not allowing Sega some room to breathe. It became a Catch-22 that spiralled down into oblivion - As can be seen, literally :(

As for stories, I have a couple dozen of them - Been playing too many MMOGs since '98 ;) Maybe when NC2 comes round, KK can create an NPC copy of me to act as the crazy old woman who tells stories of far-away places with no point in them :lol:

Or you could be grandma death!

*Hits you with Rhino*

:lol:

Chaos81
13-08-04, 00:53

Sorry for the spam, but five stars.

Mr_Snow
13-08-04, 01:00

People have a right to be pissed off and dont need to support KK if they are doing something that the feel is wrong.

The main reason Im pissed off is that KK tried to hide this until the last minute to get as much renewed subscriptions updated before the mass cancellations began.

Benjie are KK paying you to spout how great they are and how all us players who dont think every single little thing is amazing and perfect suck?

Spermy
13-08-04, 01:02
People have a right to be pissed off and dont need to support KK if they are doing something that the feel is wrong.

The main reason Im pissed off is that KK tried to hide this until the last minute to get as much renewed subscriptions updated before the mass cancellations began.

Benjie are KK paying you to spout how great they are and how all us players who dont think every single little thing is amazing and perfect suck?

You can't prove this. I know it's opinion which is why I'm not slating you, you are after all entitled to it. Just don't take it to witch hunt levels.

Mr_Snow
13-08-04, 01:05
You can't prove this. I know it's opinion which is why I'm not slating you, you are after all entitled to it. Just don't take it to witch hunt levels.

Everyone knew since KK said specifically that there would be no character wipe that there would be an item wipe so why wasnt it announced then?

Spermy
13-08-04, 01:24
Everyone knew since KK said specifically that there would be no character wipe that there would be an item wipe so why wasnt it announced then?

mebbe tinkering around with other options? Who's to say really. Guess we have to sit back and enjoy the ride, Or puke. Take your pick :)

Marx
13-08-04, 01:50
Well, that whole "Free month if you switch to the new payment plan provider" thing becomes suspect if someone wanted to try and logic out that equation.

Spermy
13-08-04, 02:17
Well, that whole "Free month if you switch to the new payment plan provider" thing becomes suspect if someone wanted to try and logic out that equation.

Why? it's just like buying an NC boxed cd.

Marx
13-08-04, 04:31
Why? it's just like buying an NC boxed cd.No, it was a free month offered solely if you switched over to the other payment service before DoY.

seraphian
13-08-04, 08:34
OK, then lets fix it here and now:

I have always tried to be a calm voice on the forums (OK, the occasional outburst or string of dirty jokes excluded, I post while sleep-deprived on occasion) I think there are a lot of pretty mature people around here.

Lets try to form some kind of organized player front of some kind for the transition to NC:2[bDoY]

I'm already thinking of some player-event stuff, it could easily be expanded.

and no buisiness releases bad news too early, you can't BLAME KK nessisarily, though the situation certainly could have been handled better.

ino
13-08-04, 08:52
Hehe why is everyone so angry at thoose who say something good about kk :)?

I have shaken my fist south twoards germany sometimes in desperation. But still kk isnt the biggest badass company you'll ever see in your life. Nor do they (probably anyway) have the same kind of bugdet mister SONY-ONLINE with a billion dollars behind them even if they screw up. I dont play any other mmorpg and I'm not that sure I ever will. Im tired of chasing fairys and trolls and shit. So I cant really say if Lucas entertainment's developers are taking even a second to speak in a public thread about their game, it's problems and about what the players might want.

Sure there has been little information about things to come. There havent been that many patches. The item whipe except the 10 items on every char to nc2, wich I dont think is that bad.. Sure you loose a shit load of stuff. wich you can obtain again. Tradeskillers who have bp collections are probably the once who get's hit the hardest, But bp collections can be made once again. There will be 24 hours in nc2 that you wont have that much to do. Instead of fuckwhineing on the forum maby take that time and start building that bp collection again.

blah, lots of text who ppl will be upset about :) But I dont think most here could do better than kk has done anyways. So the famous shut the fuck does apply.

Marx
13-08-04, 13:25
and no buisiness releases bad news too early, you can't BLAME KK nessisarily, though the situation certainly could have been handled better.
If the situation could have been handled better, who's at fault?