PDA

View Full Version : Worst Idea ever!!!! (time wise) ????

nugz420
10-08-04, 19:13
Wow all I got to say is converting over 200 cd's(my collection) to mp3's sucks ass.

Been at it for like 4 hours (edit: lmao NVM scratch that make it like 7 hours :( damn its 1 15 pm already)or so with a couple small breaks here and there.So far about 60 disc's converted. :wtf:

Cant wait till its done and I can take all my music with me on a nice small Mp3 player no more trying to make my mind up what to take along for those times when you wanna bring music.That and they get get a dusting before going back into my CD changer :D

Anyone else ever converted this many cd's and if so what is a good guess-ta-mation as how long it willl take?And did you feel it was worth it after you finished.

ezza
10-08-04, 19:25
lol good luck with that, i got bored just doing it for a few CDs

ive got 500 cds be damned if im going to do them all lol

MrChumble
10-08-04, 19:25
I do mine as I get them...doing them all at once...god that must be dull :D

Jest
10-08-04, 19:27
Ive havent gotten around to doing mine yet. What do you guys use for a convertor?

nugz420
10-08-04, 19:31
ahh yes its is dull as shit but i think it will be worth it in the end.After i get it done i can get a i pod or a nomad 30gb or 40gb and take all my music with me and have room to add more to it. :)

So im hope'n the pain and suffering will be worth it. :D

***goes to put last 15 disc's copied back in changer and grab the next 15**** LET THE FUN continue!!!! :rolleyes:

Edit: (for jest) I just got a new audigy2 zs platinum and the converter i use came with that,its called creative media source.

-REMUS-
10-08-04, 19:31
I do mine as I get them...doing them all at once...god that must be dull :D

yeah but when XP fucks up its good by to lots of mp3's and hello to an extremely large stack of cd's.

500 cd's ezza? are you sure you arnt just enlargeing your e-penis :p ?

I've only got about 60 :( and i cant think of anymore I want to buy.

Jest
10-08-04, 19:32
500 cd's ezza? are you sure you arnt just enlargeing your e-penis :p ? I have 501. Im just sayin is all. ;)

deac
10-08-04, 19:35
I have only 2 cds :(((

greendonkeyuk
10-08-04, 19:43
well i used to have about 10gb worth of mp3s on my pc..... then my hdd died along with half my pc and so my entire music collection went down the pan. I have currently about a dozen or so cds i play regularly and then 20 or so more probably that are now gsthering dust.

jernau
10-08-04, 20:14
I did the bulk of mine five years or so ago - took me months and completely filled three of the largest drives I could buy at the time (80Gb).

With what I've bought and... err... acquired since then it's much more than doubled.

Still, it was unquestionably worth it in the end as not only do several thousand CDs consume a lot of shelf space, I now have access to all my music much more easily.

A few hints :
- Don't even consider using less than 192k VBR
- Find a decent jukebox player with a non-propietary database
- Don't trust meta-tags, they are wank, make sure the track name, track number, album, artist and if possible genre are all in the path and filename
- Use a good encoder. There's a lot of poor quality ones out there, or at least there were when I started - it may have improved
- Don't be tempted to use formats other than MP3 - there are MANY better ones but none are as widely used in hardware players

nugz420
10-08-04, 20:20
A few hints :

Hmmm the 75+ CD's ive done so far are all in 128kbs form

Is this what your talking about?If so so did i fuck myself on those CD's?

I remember all the times I used to use napster and win mx 128kbs was the most common.with a few 192k and aboves around.

Edit: The sound seems fine on my computer on the 125kbs mp3's.soundcard listed above with a logitech z680 500watt 5.1 speaker system.Will there be a noticiable downgrade in sound from pc to portable mp3 player?

jernau
10-08-04, 20:34
A few hints :

Hmmm the 75+ CD's ive done so far are all in 128kbs form

Is this what your talking about?If so so did i fuck myself on those CD's?

I remember all the times I used to use napster and win mx 128kbs was the most common.with a few 192k and aboves around.
VBR = Variable Bit Rate - a way of improving quality by increasing bitrate on complex areas and reducing it on simple ones.

128k CBR is/was common because that license was cheaper ;).

It really depends a lot on the music as to how much impact the bitrate has and to some extent also the encoder.

IMO 192VBR is the minimum for anything with wide dynamic range or high levels of tonal compexity. 128 will suffice for most "pop" music as that's designed to be bland and it will also be OK for some other styles (eg metal where the variation in tone and pitch is minimal within most frames) but if you want a sensible base-line for a wide variety of music I would suggest 192VBR.

One thing to bear in mind though is where and how you will play them back - if you have a cheap hifi and speakers it won't make much odds, if you have a good hifi setup or use high-quality headphones you will find low bitrates unbearable.

Spermy
10-08-04, 20:37
I have 20 Gig of MP3 and about 40 or 50 cds to do whenever i can be arsed to.

I use DB poweramp. Is the the sex

nugz420
10-08-04, 20:43
Ahh most of my music is metal with the occasional hiphop and classic rock in the mix.So the 125kbs should work for my needs.No symphonys on my play list. :p (although maybe ill add betovens(sp) 5th clockwork has made that symphony one of the few classical piecies i like :lol: )

As far as the portable player I been thinking about using is a creative nomad 30gb.It uses the same music managment system I am currently using.Also has all the audio encoding shit my soundcard has.

So im guessing the sound quality should be about the same as my PC which will work for my needs.

That brings up a question anyone used a creative nomad?(newer versions like the 30 or 40 gig)

jernau
10-08-04, 21:06
Pink Floyd at 128 makes he cringe.....

wrt Nomad - I tried out the original one. It's nice but at the time the Archos was a tiny bit better.

I would expect all the HDD based players to be alike other than software which can be personal preference to some degree anyway. The biggest quality factor will be the headphones. Most players come with awful ones.

Scikar
10-08-04, 22:20
If you want to make sure the quality is alright just compress a song to a really low rate like 56k, then do 128k and 192k. You should be able to hear the difference between 56k and 128k, and then see if you can still hear it between 128k and 192k. If you can, then maybe you should start again. ;)