PDA

View Full Version : The Hovertech "Exploit"

Clownst0pper
10-08-04, 16:57
This has been big discussion on Saturn lately, aimed at one specific droner.

The question is, "Is it an exploit to use a hovertech to get upon a mountain you cannot get to by foot?"

In my opinion, if you cant reach the place by foot, you shouldnt be able to get there by Hovertech, and it shouldnt be allowed.

Afterall, so few people actually spec vehicle, that it "almost" makes them invulnerable, unless you get lucky and someone can use one.

IMHO a hovertech is designed like a land speeder, and should travel quickly from place to place, but shouldnt be able to climb cliffs vertically like it does.

Id just like this cleared up.

"Is it an exploit to use a hovertech to get up a mountain you cannot get to by foot?"

Mr_Snow
10-08-04, 17:01
nah if they took the effort to spec vehicles they deserve some sort of advantage for it, if your pissed at it now your going to be even more pissed with gliders which will be severely gimped PE and spy only which give even more of an advantage.

Richard Slade
10-08-04, 17:01
It's never been an exploit, and never will, I hope
If someone chooses to offer points on vhc why shouldn't they be able to enjoy the benefits of it?

Cypher_Psy
10-08-04, 17:02
From the Neocron homepage > Support Policies

The following actions are in violation of the Neocron rules of conduct (RoC) and will result in a warning and possibly a temporary ban of the Neocron account:

Spamming public in-game chat channels.
Pushing dead bodies or players who are away from the keyboard (afk) beyond zone boundaries so as to deny resurrection or to enable the killing of an afk player. Updated 07/16/2004
Pushing dead bodies into boxes/trees (or any other place that renders them untargetable) Added 07/26/2004
Dropping turrets in boxes/trees (or any other place that renders them untargetable ) or on outpost walls. Placing turrets on OP roofs is forbidden too. Updated 03/19/2004
Copying another runner's name with the express purpose of gaining personal advantage or harassing the original.
LE'd runners refusing to leave a dungeon (thus preventing it from being reset).
Levelling constitution by repeatedly damaging yourself (either directly or indirectly)
Levelling constitution by repeatedly and purposely getting yourself killed by CopBots or S.T.O.R.M Bots.
Climbing the high cliffs surrounding the Neocron World by using an exploit to be able to snipe/drone with little to no risk of dying yourself. Added 07/26/2004

This list will be continuously updated and is therefore subject to change at any time. Ignorance of these rules is not an acceptable defence.

Aziraphale
I think it is, but only if it is somewhere that obviously isn't supposed to be reached.

For example there is one ditch near foster that I always get trapped down, and if I'm on foot then I can't get out without using Resetposition, but if I'm on a hoverbike, or indeed any semi-fast vehicle then I can get out. Is that an exploit?

Garg [RogueNET]
its like a always active stealth and u can shoot and just a few(!!!!!) ppl can actually attack u

Clownst0pper
10-08-04, 17:03

SO yes it is an exploit? hurrah! :)

Richard Slade
10-08-04, 17:03
And as you of course know, getting on the second tier with hover, is not counted for as an exploit

Garg [RogueNET]
10-08-04, 17:04
second plateu can be reached on foot

Mr_Snow
10-08-04, 17:04
It says that its against the rules to get on cliffs using exploits, it says nothing about using hovertechs being an exploit when getting up on cliffs.

Clownst0pper
10-08-04, 17:05
And as you of course know, getting on the second tier with hover, is not counted for as an exploit

A droner being on the highest cliff in any zone, which isnt reachable by foot, and only by hovertech should be classed an exploit

Its missuse of a vehicle not intended for climbing mountains, and also leaves little chance of anyone ever finding your body, unless of course, a person decides to drive up every cliff in the zone in an attempt to find your body.

Cypher_Psy
10-08-04, 17:06
It says high cliffs, not how far up them.
I interpret this as being on them, however far up..
Maybe this needs further clarification....

Jest
10-08-04, 17:07
Nah I dont think it should be an exploit. If anything they should make it some what possible to get there by foot. Granted it totally sucks beyond all measure if you can't get to the droner. But exploit, no.

Duine
No, If the hover wasn't able to climb cliffs its speed would be useless. Try traveling around Tech Haven or in the Canyon sectors on a hover at full speed without being able to climb. It would be bloody impossible, hence rendering the hovertech useless (like the bike...) .

Richard Slade
Maybe you should search.. This has been discussed before, alot.
And clownie, how do you know the hover isn't supposed to be a climber..?

garyu69
Its not an exploit. and it has been said that it is not an exploit.

ezza
10-08-04, 17:08
that doesnt say you cant get on other mountains, thats only relating to the ones around the edges of the game world.

i dont see a problem with it using a hover to get on mountains.

i mean we know the vehicles can do it, if you can do it by foot you do it by another means, in this case vehicle.

its exploiting if you cant get there by any legal means, like zone crashing or whatever, but not hovertecing it on to the top.

plus i didnt think you could get a hover on to the 3rd level.

and since if they can get there on a hover, you can get there on a hover, just cos you dont have the ability doesnt mean the people who do should be penalised

nobby
10-08-04, 17:08
whats the point of having a sniper rifle if u cant do it on a high cliff out of the way?

Endar
10-08-04, 17:09
I belive that means the cliffs SURROUNDING the Neocron world, not the ones that are inside it.

Scikar
10-08-04, 17:09
If getting to those points was only possible by hovertec then fair enough. As it is, there are many which are accesisble by hovertec, however many droners happen to get there without any use of a vehicle. So until those exploits are fixed I think being on those cliffs should be classified as exploiting.

ezza
10-08-04, 17:10
I belive that means the cliffs SURROUNDING the Neocron world, not the ones that are inside it.
correct

Clownst0pper
10-08-04, 17:11
Maybe you should search.. This has been discussed before, alot.
And clownie, how do you know the hover isn't supposed to be a climber..?

As I say, i "dont know" that its not supposed to be used like that, however, Id like to see the hovertech used as a speeder across paths in Neocron (no one uses the set paths to travel)

Id rather see more walkable paths around cliffs and mountains, rather than bumming the cliff sides trying to get to the sneakest spot in a zone.

Bombers and Gliders should be used to access such locations, otherwise, whats the point in them when a landspeeder can do the same job? :(

Richard Slade
10-08-04, 17:13
I don't mind paths either, but there are none now :/

Bombers and Gliders should be used to access such locations, otherwise, whats the point in them when a landspeeder can do the same job? :(

Guess why they're called bombers and you might win a cookie

ezza
10-08-04, 17:13
well take it that the speed of the vehicle allows the hover tecnology to "stick" to terrain so thus allowing them to climb such things.

sure bombers and gliders, are going to be 2 ways, however whats wrong with having a 3rd.

i mean a bit of variation is good

garyu69
10-08-04, 17:14
Here is what i sent to Carbonite when the announcement of this cliff exploit was announced:

Hi Carbonite,

In regards to the recent announcement, would this include cliffs that can be reached by driving up as there are many you can reach by flying up on a Hovertech.

Thanks

garyu69

Carbonites Reply:

no

Xadhoom
10-08-04, 17:15
aaaaaaaaaaaahahaha .p

ohnoes.

but a stealther stealthwhoring the sector unkillable for the droner is fair ? Forget it. Skill vhc, get a hover, learn where droners are hiding.

thx garyu, u just killed a stupid rumor. :) talked to another gm this morning and got the same answer.

Clownst0pper
10-08-04, 17:16
Guess why they're called bombers and you might win a cookie

Of course there an offensive vehicle, but also an transport vehicle you muffin.

@ Garyu- its never drove you to insanity because not one person in your clan specs for a hovertech, and you have ZERO- absolutely zero way of killing them because there on the 3rd layer of the highest cliff in the zone?

If you say it doesnt, your off brown bread!

Richard Slade
10-08-04, 17:16
aaaaaaaaaaaahahaha .p

ohnoes.

but a stealther stealthwhoring the sector unkillable for the droner is fair ? Forget it. Skill vhc, get a hover, learn where droners are hiding.

thx garyu, u just killed a stupid rumor. :)

Wow.. For once i agree with you Xad... You.. you... NCAT luvvah

ezza
10-08-04, 17:17
way i look at it, there is only so many places a droner can hide with the safetly level that were talking.

learn the sectors, get to know the places they can hide out, then you will know the few places they can hide, and will in turn be able to take them out easier, presuming that is they dont see you coming.

thats just my take on it as a hovertec using tanky

Clownst0pper
10-08-04, 17:17
aaaaaaaaaaaahahaha .p

ohnoes.

thx garyu, u just killed a stupid rumor. :)

I "can" spec vehicle, And have on my own droner, But I really dont want to log my droner, and go up the highest cliffs in the game, to reach one player, who has decided that "Oh, I know, just so no one can kill me, ill go on the highest cliff in the zone, ill last infinatly longer up there"

I just await the day drones are took off local, oh the fun..

Endar
10-08-04, 17:18
Well think about it in this way, if you find a droner, the guys is dead. I mean droning doesnt level up CON at all so droners are fragile like a... well think about something fragile, Im tired of thinking...

Richard Slade
Of course there an offensive vehicle, but also an transport vehicle you muffin.

NEver thought about the transport like.... I dunno.. THE APC?!

Dargeshaad
aaaaaaaaaaaahahaha .p

ohnoes.

thx garyu, u just killed a stupid rumor. :) talked to another gm this morning and got the same answer.

I know where you are hiding *evil grin*

Clownst0pper
10-08-04, 17:20
NEver thought about the transport like.... I dunno.. THE APC?!

APC = transport (cant get over a stone despite 8 wheels)

Rhino = Transport + offensive (cant get over a stone, despite 2 huge caterpillar tracks)

Bomber = Transport + offensive (all access)

Hovertech = transport (can get anywhere in the entire game)

Hmm, Rhino/Hovertech, I know which id choose.

garyu69
10-08-04, 17:21
@ Garyu- its never drove you to insanity because not one person in your clan specs for a hovertech, and you have ZERO- absolutely zero way of killing them because there on the 3rd layer of the highest cliff in the zone?
I've god insane hunting for droners before and knowing there is no chance to find them. I ended up running away.

Clownst0pper
10-08-04, 17:22
I've god insane hunting for droners before and knowing there is no chance to find them. I ended up running away.

And when there taken off local with the Droner Helmet? Our only combat against them, removed. Its going to be a barrel of laughs.

*sigh* :rolleyes:

Promethius
10-08-04, 17:25
This has been big discussion on Saturn lately, aimed at one specific droner.

The question is, "Is it an exploit to use a hovertech to get upon a mountain you cannot get to by foot?"

In my opinion, if you cant reach the place by foot, you shouldnt be able to get there by Hovertech, and it shouldnt be allowed.

Afterall, so few people actually spec vehicle, that it "almost" makes them invulnerable, unless you get lucky and someone can use one.

IMHO a hovertech is designed like a land speeder, and should travel quickly from place to place, but shouldnt be able to climb cliffs vertically like it does.

Id just like this cleared up.

"Is it an exploit to use a hovertech to get up a mountain you cannot get to by foot?"

Yea i agree 100% and in Doy with the Gliders if you can't get there by foot NO WAY should you be able to get there on a flying craft.

If a droner ownes you or some runner on hills, dont think WOW maybe iu can bitch on threads. Just spec your few points to get the vehicle use or stfu.

-Prom

Ch1n Th3 M4g
10-08-04, 17:25
so if useing a land based vehicles are an exploit
wot will happen when BDOY come out with bomers and gliders? :wtf:
The whole 'exploit' of getting on cliffs will have 2 be change soon because of the new crafts.
all this bitching about it will change nothing
and even if they do wot will they do in sep when evey 1 can fly? :confused:

M4g

Richard Slade
10-08-04, 17:26
Yea i agree 100% and in Doy with the Gliders if you can't get there by foot NO WAY should you be able to get there on a flying craft.

-Prom
uhh.. wha'...? :wtf:

Clownst0pper
10-08-04, 17:26
The whole 'exploit' of getting on cliffs will have 2 be change soon because of the new crafts.

M4g

As I keep saying, hovertechs shouldnt be used to get up cliffs, its silly, especially when a Rhino can barely make it up the smallest of ramps, despite tracks and wheels.

Bombers and gliders will add an acceptability to high cliffs, as its more realistic, and part of there design.

Richard Slade
10-08-04, 17:27

M4g

Then it's gonna be an exploit to land and fly above melee range,
since those who didn't spec range should also have a fair chance o_O

Edit: Shouldn't killing tradeskilled chars be an exploit as they can't shoot back too?

Clownst0pper
10-08-04, 17:28
Then it's gonna be an exploit to land and fly above melee range,
since those who didn't spec range should also have a fair chance o_O

Not really, you are aware of your limitations, no one expects to snipe with a pistol (even tho you can)

the same with melee, u just ruff it up when they land!

Promethius
10-08-04, 17:28
uhh.. wha'...? :wtf:

sarcasm. He is stating if you can't get there on foot. You shouldn't be able to get there on a vehicle. Which is complete BS.

-Prom

Richard Slade
10-08-04, 17:29
Not really, you are aware of your limitations, no one expects to snipe with a pistol (even tho you can)

the same with melee, u just ruff it up when they land!

Noone expects you to climb on foot either.
And the whole tank can't get there so why should hover thing... IT's a DAMN TANK at +10tons of weight.. They're not supposed to move over htings bigger than rocks.

sarcasm. He is stating if you can't get there on foot. You shouldn't be able to get there on a vehicle. Which is complete BS.

-Prom

<3 :D

Xadhoom
10-08-04, 17:30
using a hovertec to hide on cliffs is the ONLY true defence droners hav against ppus/stealth whores looking for their meatsacks. All u want, koro, is to stealth through the sector an kill one droner after the other .. forget it. spec vhc, use a hovertec (accept the disadvantage that a hover cant stealth) and find the droners.

Spermy
10-08-04, 17:32
Like it's been said, I can't find the quote, but one of the mods said that anyone caught on the top of the mountains will be dealt with as they are not supposed to be ther ein the first place.

*runs to dig out a quote*

Clownst0pper
10-08-04, 17:33
Noone expects you to climb on foot either.
And the whole tank can't get there so why should hover thing... IT's a DAMN TANK at +10tons of weight.. They're not supposed to move over htings bigger than rocks.

<3 :D

If youve ever been in a rhino, you can barely make it up the tinyest of bump, never mind do what a hovertech does.

@ Prom, I propose, if you cant get there by foot, yes you shouldnt be able to get there without a flying vehicle (not a land vehicle, which imo is a hovertech)

@ Abner, a droner isnt designed to be defensive, yes your supposed to hide, but do you see it as practicle that you want people to spec vehicle, just so they can find the odd droner (maximum of 2 on saturn) who decides he cant be arsed to find a hiding place on ground level, or at least up walkable cliffs.

And really, lets face it, people will continue to use the screenshot exploit to find them, as many I know do view it as exploiting.

At least ill now start playing isa again, and yes ill go up on high cliffs to drone, youll soon find it overly annoying

Xadhoom
10-08-04, 17:33
Like it's been said, I can't find the quote, but one of the mods said that anyone caught on the top of the mountains will be dealt with as they are not supposed to be ther ein the first place.

*runs to dig out a quote*

no one cares bout what mods say. Only important is, what carbonite and the other gms say. and they say: ITS NOT AN EXPLOIT.

Napalm82
10-08-04, 17:34
If i remember correctly, havent it been stated that "Reaching anywhere in the NeoCron world by either foot or vehicle is NOT an exploit, as long as other runners can reach this place with foot or vehicle"

What they mean by "Reaching a place through an exploit" is probably reaching somewhere you cant with foot or vehicle through "/set reset_position 1" I know one place where that is useable.

- Napalm

Clownst0pper
10-08-04, 17:34
no one cares bout what mods say. Only important is, what carbonite and the other gms say. and they say: ITS NOT AN EXPLOIT.

Id honestly like a recent quote, not one through PM's or other such grapevine speeches.

Gotterdammerung
10-08-04, 17:35
If you choose a personal setup for your character where you don't spec for any vehicle use thats your own choice. Just because someone else does and you got killed by them doesn't make it an exploit.

There is no exploit here, just someone using well placed vhc points and good droner tactics.

Closed

ps:

re:

The following actions are in violation of the Neocron rules of conduct (RoC) and will result in a warning and possibly a temporary ban of the Neocron account:
Climbing the high cliffs surrounding the Neocron World by using an exploit to be able to snipe/drone with little to no risk of dying yourself. Added 07/26/2004

Note that this specifies the high 3rd level cliff that it at the preimiter of some zones, this does not mean a mountain in the middle of a map near CRP, outside tg canyon etc...
If you are talking about someone on the 3rd level cliff then do as you should with all allegations of exploiting. Take screens & send them in. You are well aware that the forum isn't a place for such things.