PDA

View Full Version : Lessons in Frustration: Royal Mail

Siygess
10-08-04, 15:02
Here's something that has played out over the course of several weeks, and it's something that I hope people can relate too, especially people who've dealt with Ebay and / or The Royal Mail.

First, some background. As some of you may (or may not) know, I'm a guy and I've been happily married (for the most part) for a couple of years. It was our anniversary on July 28th, and during the weeks leading up to the 28th, I was naturally racking my brains, trying to figure out what to get my wife. A quick search on Ebay eventually turned up the right gift and as it was available on BuyItNow, I knew that I wouldn't have to worry about being outbid by those pesky ninja-bidders.

Item secured and paid for, and with two weeks to spare.

I was feeling pretty happy with myself.

As the date got closer, there was still no item, and eventually I emailed him. No response. Uh-oh. The anniversary comes and goes, and I am berated for spending too much money on an item that never showed up. To his credit, the seller emailed me the day after, explaining he had been away on vacation, and that it was now in the post. My wife's annoyance changed to mild bemusement, and we waited for the item to arrive. Here's where it goes horribly wrong.

On Tuesday of this week, I come home from work to discover a card saying that I have missed a delivery. Not uncommon as I dont get home until 5:30, but it was strange that it wasn't left next door. The date on the card was also wrong but I shrugged that off because I knew I'd have the item soon enough. The following day, I called the depot, explained that I had been left a card, and we re-arranged the delivery for the next possible day (Thursday). I come home from work on Thursday and there is no card, nor is there a parcel. I check with the neighbours and they hadn't seen anything. Well, this was annoying and my wife is beginning to loose patience with the whole thing. As the depot closes are 2pm, I have to wait until Friday to call them, which I dutifully do as soon as they open. They appologise for the fact that it wasn't delivered, and they will send it round on Saturday morning. Saturday comes and goes, but as the depot isn't open, I can't do anything about it. There's nothing waiting for me on Monday evening, either, so this morning, I called them up again.

Again, they appologised that the item hasn't been delivered, but this time I tell them I have taken tomorrow off. I'm going to pick the thing up myself. They give me their location and opening hours, and finally an end is in sight. Or so I thought.

My wife called me at work to see if there has been any progress. I inform her, and she's not pleased about it, but she mentions that someone she works with knows someone in the Royal Mail, and they will look in to it for me. Great, I think. At least we'll find out why they didn't deliver it.

Twenty minutes ago, my wife called back.

The day they made the first delivery and the driver wrote the wrong date down, he returned it to the depot as I would normally expect, but here's the thing. They keep parcels for three weeks. The date the drive wrote down was 03/07/2004 and not 03/08/2004. They thought they had kept the parcel quite long enough, and had sent it back to the sender, the sender who lives in the US, the very same day. Every single bloody day that I called them and asked about it, they weren't bothering to check. Oh yes, very sorry, be with you tomorrow. Blah blah blah.

Now my wife is pissed at me because its doubtfull we will see the item again, and if we do, you can guarantee I will have to pay postage on it again, and thats all assuming Royal Mail are capable of delivering it anyway. To top it off, I didn't even realise the item was coming from the US (I missed the bit at the very bottom of the bid, every else implied it was coming from the UK), so she believes that I should never had purchased it in the first place.. and she's probably right.

F**k f**k f**k f**k f**K :mad:

CarniFlex
10-08-04, 15:06
oupz...
Since its their fault they should pay for it... with compensation since its a very special day-package apparently.

Good story tho

nobby
10-08-04, 15:06
oh mate, sorry to hear bout that...

Vampire222
10-08-04, 15:24
tell the seller to send it back to you, and explain the situation and that youll pay shipping again, then call the royal mail and force them to refund you the second shipping costs, and give you some free flowers for the trouble caused, if they dont, send a expess mail to their manager

garyu69
10-08-04, 15:26
That sucks!
And being in trouble with the wife is evil!

Original monk
10-08-04, 15:30
daamn youre fucked lol :/

and what did ya bought if i may be so curious ??

its mothersday in 5 days here in belgium and i still didnt know what i could buy :/

Siygess
10-08-04, 15:47
Cant really help you there - my wife likes Tanks, Hummers and things that explode. Buying for her isn't quite the same as buying for your mum :(

Original monk
10-08-04, 16:03
my wife likes Tanks, Hummers and things that explode.

O_O

so no choclates, roses, parfumes and romantic dinners for you but danger, noise, big metal killingmachines, explosions and the scent of black powder..

hehe :)

indeed, as ya said, my mom isnt really intrested in anything of military nature :)

good luck on with youre package tough :)

ezza
10-08-04, 16:32
Cant really help you there - my wife likes Tanks, Hummers and things that explode. Buying for her isn't quite the same as buying for your mum :(
i guess the item wasnt a tank then , i mean there not exactly easy to miss place

garyu69
10-08-04, 16:35
hmmm, she likes explosives and stuff...... any chance it was a letter bomb then? ;)

Siygess
10-08-04, 16:43
No, not a tank, nor a letter bomb. The 3rd anniversary is traditionally a "leather" gift. We decided to ignore the pointless (wallets etc), the expensive (Jackets) and the downright personal, so we ended up going for "practical". As she likes helping out at professional firework displays (fusing, wiring etc) but never has her own tools, I purchased her a pricey Leatherman (they have a 25 year warranty). It would have been clever on so many levels.. :(

ezza
10-08-04, 17:04
meh would of been better going for the tank

james_finn
10-08-04, 17:10
Ahhh siygess u know that you can get leatherman in the UK dont you? Working in a shop that sells em I should know! Lol. Anyways even if you cant buy it in the shops here at the moment, then Im sure asking a nice shop if they could source it for you, or even find a contact number for Leatherman, rumour has it that you mite be able to order it from then...... ;) But i didnt say anything!

Anyways as for the parcel, I suppose you need to contact the buyer, and explain the situation, to them. And then I recommend that you get in contact with someone from Royal mail, and create a stink, basically it is their problem that its not with you right now, so make sure they pay for both lots of postage, plus some sort of compensation.

Hope it works out

Delphi

Siygess
10-08-04, 17:16
Yeah, I still have tomorrow off so I'll probably go and do just what you and Vampire222 suggested and give them some grief.

meh would of been better going for the tank

That was her christmas present two years ago. Ok, she didn't get to keep it, and it wasnt really a tank, but she still got to tear around a course in an FV433 (Abbot SPG), an FV432 (Nippy APC) and a few other smaller vehicles :)

Barak
10-08-04, 18:01
That was her christmas present two years ago. Ok, she didn't get to keep it, and it wasnt really a tank, but she still got to tear around a course in an FV433 (Abbot SPG), an FV432 (Nippy APC) and a few other smaller vehicles :)
you can sure bloody pick 'em..

greendonkeyuk
10-08-04, 18:07
tank driving rocks dude. ive never been able to drive one myself unfortunately as i was only little when i rode in one but i remember it very well and it was the most awesome thing in the world. ok so i know i didnt drive it but i can see where mrs siygess gets the buzz from. :)

phunqe
11-08-04, 14:03
Man... that is one royal screwup o_O

Life's a bitch.

We just have to accept that some days we are the pigeon and some day the statue :p