PDA

View Full Version : IPod

Vampire222
10-08-04, 14:35
Heya all, im looking into buying a mp3 hdd player... a good one, specifically im looking into buying a apple ipod... does anyone have it? whats your experiences with it? and does anyone know where to get one for a low price :D (within europe, shipping to the netherlands) Thanks

garyu69
10-08-04, 14:41
screw iPod, go for an iRiver http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/products/a699x1y0z1p0s0n0m264 or get the new Sony one :)

juvestar15
10-08-04, 14:41
I was told you can't change the battery on the IPod. You need to send it back to USA for Apple to change it. Meant to last about 2 years i think. Seems pointless since it's pricey getting it changed.

Anyone can confirm that?

Hippieman
10-08-04, 14:44
You can change the battery on a iPOD. Just got to be careful and look up a step by step guide before you do.

james_finn
10-08-04, 17:18
I have an iPod, im pretty happy with it. The only downside is the Battery life, mine seems to die way too quickly. So basically it gets charged up every other night. The menu systems are great, and really easy to get used to, plus they r all changeable (you can set the front page style to what ever you like.).

Work of warning the LCD screen can get scratched very easily even in the shitty case that it comes with. Look for some kind of cover, I know there are some out there!

www.ipodlounge.com (http://www.ipodlounge.com)

Delphi

vanpan
10-08-04, 18:16
Iriver > Ipod
i got the ihp 100
my brother the ihp120
check the new iriver it work also as an USB host. perfect for image or other stuff storage.
file structure is the same as in windows you can create different folders to put your music in.

james_finn
10-08-04, 19:20
I dont wanna seem stupid here, but could you like listen some reasons to let vamp make up his own mind. You know just saying Iriver > iPod kinda does no one n e favours, and tbh its kinda ignorant. I personally only have an iPod hence why I posted about its features and stuff, and also the stuff that I dont like and think that he should no about it.

Lets *try* to be adults I know its hard :P

So lest try again why is the iRiver better than the iPod, and do u have both to be able to compare?

Delphi

vanpan
11-08-04, 00:05
look at the features the got?

Lev
11-08-04, 00:14
I have a 40gig 3g Ipod and its the bomb diggity, its simple and doesnt have many features beyond playing back music, but you know what? Thats exactly what I want the menu is super intuitive (once you learn what back and forward are and how to turn it off, which is not as intuitive) also Apple care rocks your socks. I got the wrong remote when they shipped me mine and I called them at 3pm that afternoon and I had a brand new at 10am the next morning without having to ship back the old one or anything. Also as far as battery life goes, yes that is a downside but so long as you have the warranty (standard is a year, you can buy another 2-3 years or something for a very reasonable price at the end of the first year) you are golden. If the battery dies and you have an Apple store near you just bring them your old one and you will walk away with a new one right then. (my dad has broken his 3 times thus far, probably shouldnt keepm sitting on it ;) ) imho the IPod made an apple believer out of me. and like i said it plays music really well and its super easy to find everything you need in it.

Edit: Oh yeah it also functions as a 40 gig external hardrive if you so choose no problems with that at all. I can't speak for the IRiver but i cant think of any features that I would want but dont have (including a color screen which is pointless when all you are looking at is text, it just drains the battery quicker.

Wallen
11-08-04, 05:29
I have a 40gb version 2.0 iPod and absolutely love it. As for battery life, the new ones last 4 hours longer than the older models, which is cool. Also, since I got mine from Best Buy I got a 4 year replacement plan (for 40 extra bucks) that says I can return it in any condition for any reason and get a new one.
The methods to deter you from stealing music in iTunes can be frustrating, and I find iTunes itself to be very un-intuitive, but once you learn it it's easy to get around in.
The only thing that really stinks about the iPod is the inability to get music OFF of it once it's on, though I hear there are methods to it.

Lev
11-08-04, 07:55
I have a 40gb version 2.0 iPod and absolutely love it. As for battery life, the new ones last 4 hours longer than the older models, which is cool. Also, since I got mine from Best Buy I got a 4 year replacement plan (for 40 extra bucks) that says I can return it in any condition for any reason and get a new one.
The methods to deter you from stealing music in iTunes can be frustrating, and I find iTunes itself to be very un-intuitive, but once you learn it it's easy to get around in.
The only thing that really stinks about the iPod is the inability to get music OFF of it once it's on, though I hear there are methods to it.

yeah its really easy if you have teh windows.
click on the drive it creats then "ipod controls" (a hidden folder) then copy that folder and there is yer muzak.

landofcake
11-08-04, 14:54
I personally went for a 30Gb Creative Zen Xtra instead of an iPod

Because:

Much better battery life, and the battery is changed easily.
Very cheap compared to the iPod for a good amount of capacity (a 60gb Zen is under £300).
Fantastic sound quality coupled with great EAX effects and a brilliant equaliser which can be set to custom settings.

Cons:

Tiny bit bigger than the iPod (doesn't bother me)
Navigation isn't quite as good as the iPod, but still fine.
Not 'stylish' (although to me that seems a bit shallow, what with the fact that it's going to reside in my pocket most of the time anyway)

All in all, i think it's a better piece of kit.

You can pick up a Zen Xtra 30Gb for about £175.