PDA

View Full Version : [OT] Anyone starting Uni?

garyu69
10-08-04, 13:52
I'm starting uni in October, going back to school 3 years after leaving 6th form and i can't wait. Going to be going to Portsmouth to study computer games technology.

Anyone else starting this year? where you going?

greendonkeyuk
10-08-04, 14:04
so youre like 21 now then gary? wow man thats gonna take some discipline goin back to all that studying if youve been out in the real world for 3 years. I considered it a few times (goin back i mean) but personally i havent got A) the discipline to study and B) the money to finance myself through it.

Still the thought of vulnerable 18 year old girls in their first few weeks away from home is enough to make any man smile.

"oh of course ill show you where the laundry room is, we can go for a quiet drink while we wait for your washing to finish...."

Ah those were the days.

Good luck to you mate, its a slog but im sure it will be worth it.

garyu69
10-08-04, 14:13
Its going to be hard, i wasn't the best student in 6th spending more time drinking and partying rather than studdying.

But after being in a job for the past three years that i don't really want to be in and realising if i want to do something that i would enjoy that i will need to get something to prove i can, i though Uni.

and honestly the 18 year old girls never popped into my head....... ;)

But it will be hard but i think i have changed enough since 6th form to realise that i need to actually ensure i study hard or its going to just be a pure waste of time. The financial side i am trying not to worry about. I should hopefully get some support having earned so little in the past 3 years but they buggered up my application and i need to chase them up now. But hopefully that should be sorted.

Agent L
10-08-04, 14:15
nah, I'm too lazy for uni, I got kicked from one and never tried again : D
hmm, computer games studies, sounds interesting.
but after comparing what my studying friends are being told and what we're doing IRL I can say only one thing :
"In therory there is no difference between theory and practice, however in practice - there is" : )

Spermy
10-08-04, 14:16
If I earn enough to pay the rest of me rent off, then yes, back this year, if not, then earn some cash and try again i spose. :)

greendonkeyuk
10-08-04, 14:20
lol agent. yeah gary when i was at uni there was a guy there on my course who was 31, he was well into the idea of uni and partying and all that but he was also mature and sensible about it at the same time. I cant fault you for that at all. Jus the tuition fees bs thats doin the rounds now is the thing that id be most concerned about. That and the fact that they reckon on something like 1/10 uni students now suffer serious mental problems due to the amount of stress theyre under. If you have supportive (ie rich) parents then its apparently easier but if you do it like i did (ie by yourself) then the potential to come unstuck is higher. Having said that, if the worst comes to the worst at least you can say i had a go at it and noone can ever take that away from you. If you take one positive out of it then youre onto a winner.

Capt. Rik
10-08-04, 14:25
i've just graduated with an MChem, i've got £12,00 student loan to pay off and £2,500 of overdraft but it was worth it.

I'd go back and do another 4 years quite happily

garyu69
10-08-04, 14:25
Hopefully being a rather chilled person i won't experience too much stress. I don't really ever get stressed, people in work think that i just don't give a shit most of the time when in situations they get stressed out. I don't see the point in stress really :)

I will be doing the financial support all by myself and i am already going there with plans of getting a job at weekends or around times that i can fit in sensibly. Only having my mum as a parent to support i know she wouldn't be able to no matter how much i know she will try to :-\

Spermy
10-08-04, 14:30
Aye, I got the full student loan, but rent was obscene as were tuition fees, but it's easily doable with even 15 hours part time work a week =) Only problem I had was a hall full of party animals. :D :D :D

juvestar15
10-08-04, 14:40
Just started 2nd year 2nd semester. At Victoria University(Melbourne, Australia) doing a BSc in Computer Science.

I pay about $650 per subject. I've done 13 so far and got another 24 or so. I'm not sure how it works everywhere else but here you don't pay until you start working. Once i earn a certain amount of money i get a percentage taken off which goes to paying off the debt i have.

SilentEye
10-08-04, 14:44
I live in the Netherlands and I will be starting my first college year when my summer vacation ends.

I believe our college is the same as university in American style, I am not sure.
I will be attending college for 3 years and be done with school for ever, woo!

Dargeshaad
10-08-04, 14:45
I'm starting on my 3rd year (5th semester) :edit: studying Computer Science :edit: on Aalborg University in Denmark....only one more year untill I get my bachelor and can start specializing in development of computer games =)
Oh and we don't pay anything in Denmark except for the books, and these can sometimes be found on the net anyway :D

ichinin
10-08-04, 15:03
Restarting studies this august (before NC2), been away for lots of years, studied contracting/copyright law back in like 1993.. Have worked since, but jobs are rarer than filter heart 2 right now so..

Spermy
10-08-04, 16:03
Gah, need to start my job soooo badly, cutting it really fine now, might have to cut my neocrack off, not much cost, but every little helps =(

Jonax
10-08-04, 20:58
Studying BSc (Hons) Computer Games Technology for four years at the University of Abertay, so I'll be in Dundee come mid-September around :D

In the meantime, earning some cash by working at fecking DHL :wtf:

plague
10-08-04, 21:19
I'm starting uni in October, going back to school 3 years after leaving 6th form and i can't wait. Going to be going to Portsmouth to study computer games technology.

Anyone else starting this year? where you going?

hehe same here going back to school this fall after 2.5 year brake....
am hoping to have full time but with full time job it's kinda hard O_o ....
only thing is slowing me down is teh tuition, kinda hard to pay 700$ rent 100 car insuranse when making 1200$ all together and pay school at same time.....but i hope to get some support from my parents or just get a lon :o ...