PDA

View Full Version : ok dangit i neeeeeeed a laptop

THE_TICK!!!!
10-08-04, 13:14
i need a laptop thats capable of playing THE GAME...sniff sniff or im gonna go insane anyone got one ? for cheap :D or free even :D :D or i can borrow :angel:

Benjie
10-08-04, 13:14
Gaming laptops are pricey. :(

hinch
10-08-04, 13:17
www.alienware.co.uk take out a load and get one i love mine

garyu69
10-08-04, 13:19
www.novatech.co.uk

My friend got his laptop from there and he plays games no problem on it.

THE_TICK!!!!
10-08-04, 13:21
aaaaaaaaah aleinware if only i could afford it :(..unfortuanately im married :( aww well i hate the fuckin desert !! grrr

THE_TICK!!!!
10-08-04, 13:25
clark AOL biatch

Hippieman
10-08-04, 13:29
aaaaaaaaah aleinware if only i could afford it :(..unfortuanately im married :(

Bastard, almost made me shoot milk through my nose :lol:

Capt. Rik
10-08-04, 13:30
www.novatech.co.uk

My friend got his laptop from there and he plays games no problem on it.

I bought my laptop from them - P4 2.8GHz, 512Mb DDR Ram, GeForce 4 MX440 - 64Mb, 40Gb HDD

came to just over £1000 excluding vat. Works a treat for the OpenGL dev work i do (and NC/SWG of course)

phunqe
10-08-04, 13:34
Alienware is just a load of bollocks.
Just look at this page http://www.alienware.co.uk/ShopBySolution_Pages/desktops.aspx

Wtf is that page about? It's supposed to be a comparison chart to help the customer choose system. Well they are all the same!? Furthermore the way they compare and claim their computers against a non alienware one is just bullshit. No serious company presents such a crap comparison.
The internet and email usage comparison?!
The Word etc comparison?!
The network comparison?!
wtf?

Give me that sum and I'll build a system and cram some benchmark scores up their ass.

hinch
10-08-04, 13:44
actualy ignoring the crappy comparison chart aw pc's are possiably the best pc's i own i have 3 of them now and will have a 4th soon each and every one of them is flawless in operation and aw support is 2nd to none.

you pay for more than just the hardware you pay for the support a psu went i had a replacement installed within 24 hours now im sorry but you just DONT get that anywhere else.

Celt
10-08-04, 13:47
actualy ignoring the crappy comparison chart aw pc's are possiably the best pc's i own i have 3 of them now and will have a 4th soon each and every one of them is flawless in operation and aw support is 2nd to none.

you pay for more than just the hardware you pay for the support a psu went i had a replacement installed within 24 hours now im sorry but you just DONT get that anywhere else.Why do you think companies like Dell do so well?

Reliability and support, they fix the problems you dont want to/cant.

For an enthusiast, yeah you can beat their prices, easily, and fix problems, but for someone who doesnt have the time or inclination, better with alienware + friends.

phunqe
10-08-04, 13:54

you pay for more than just the hardware you pay for the support a psu went i had a replacement installed within 24 hours now im sorry but you just DONT get that anywhere else.

Did you have to take your computer/psu anywhere or did they actually come to your house?
Because given it's not in the middle of the night (or Sunday) I can get a PSU replaced in about 30-60 minutes. If you choose a very well respected store which always keep things in stock there isn't any problem really.

Furthermore, do you void your AW warranty if you open the case?

I just have an general problem with OEM computers :p
Generally it's my impression that you can get a better computer if you build it yourself, without any loss in quality.

But yeah, if you don't want to build there is no choice and no issue really :p

hinch
10-08-04, 14:59
no it doesnt void warranty if i open it

and my psu died at 1am on a sunday night/monday morning.

a guy turned up on my door at 9am monday morning with the new psu fitted it and left.

and yes celt i know dell are equally as good but dell are overpriced for performance ie you pay 1500 for an aw pc you get more than you get for 1500 from dell. but yes support is everything

phunqe
10-08-04, 15:16

a guy turned up on my door at 9am monday morning with the new psu fitted it and left.

Then I have no issues whatsoever :D

garyu69
10-08-04, 15:22
I built my GF a PC last week, all in all with all parts and a 15" TFT monitor came to £444 inc Vat.

And its better than my PC :'(

but after a week of begging, she finally let me install NC on it :D

Celt
10-08-04, 15:35

and yes celt i know dell are equally as good but dell are overpriced for performance ie you pay 1500 for an aw pc you get more than you get for 1500 from dell. but yes support is everythingDell use propieratary PSU, mobo's, cases, BLAH *spits* although their latest XPS case makes me all wet and bothered.

http://img49.exs.cx/img49/5258/xps.jpg

I'd probably go with Evesham or MESH in the UK, for USA + laptops, VoodooPC

phunqe
10-08-04, 15:45
Dells latest XPS with the 925X chipset and ATi PCIe cards are way overpriced though.
Usually Dell tends to be close in price to a self made system, but this is really pricey, even for them.

Marx
10-08-04, 16:02
i need a laptop thats capable of playing THE GAME...sniff sniff or im gonna go insane anyone got one ? for cheap :D or free even :D :D or i can borrow :angel:You're over in Iraq, right?

If so, check to see if your PX/BX area has a message board place. One of my friends picked up a decent laptop for free as part of some little "keep troops happy" program, supposedly there's still lots. He simply noticed something posted about it and followed through.

THE_TICK!!!!
11-08-04, 09:08
thanks marx ill check it :D...hmm maybe ill write to dell..and tell em im over here and ill spread the word how COOL they are if they give me one of there most UBER laptops :P

Morganth
11-08-04, 09:16
Firstly I'd like to state that I have had more problems with my Dell laptop and desktop than I have ever had with any PC, and I happen to own a fair number of PCs (including a Packard Bell and they are famous for breaking down). My Dell Desktop has a Mobo fault that Dell refuse to give any useful insight into how to fix, and my laptop had a faulty HDD which they tried to replace twice with other fault HDDs. Laptop has also got a dead battery and the CD RW doesn't work at all now. Only had my Dell PC/laptop for a year, so they aren't exactly close to be old.

Also Dell are going bankrupt now, so they have dropped their prices.

BlackwooD
11-08-04, 15:04
:rolleyes:
Your in the desert, Use some of you Tax Free, hostile fire pay. etc. FFS You've been there long enough to cash in on an alienware lappy by now.
Oh and your married aswell. Tired of the excuses. you family sep alone will pay for it. When I was over there, My wife was spending meh moneh's, and I still had enough to play with.

THE_TICK!!!!
11-08-04, 16:09
:rolleyes:
Your in the desert, Use some of you Tax Free, hostile fire pay. etc. FFS You've been there long enough to cash in on an alienware lappy by now.
Oh and your married aswell. Tired of the excuses. you family sep alone will pay for it. When I was over there, My wife was spending meh moneh's, and I still had enough to play with. payin off mega bills bro..but your right i probly could buy one flat out if i saved and not did the extra bill payin..but im in that 8 month mark state of flux..might leave soon might never leave thing im just bitchin...and moanin...i got sand in my **** and all that..yaknow how it goes...oh btw i just noticed you live in florida...georgia here !!