PDA

View Full Version : a rather long, positive note on the item wipe thingy..

Tomalak
10-08-04, 04:00
I have been in communication with Legba from AD, due to the fact that I am waiting to have some items that were stolen returned..(history:they guy ripped me off good, then erased the thievin' bastard, after distributing my stuff between 4 accounts of his..then said it was his little brother, playing around with his PC.pretty knowledgeable little brother.anyway, long story short, guy's 4 accounts are perma-banned, only problem is, finding my shit between 8 capped Venus characters with multiple apartments is a pain in the ass..).
The point is, I've been talking to Legba for a bit now, from what's he told me, the item tracker database is supposed to be finished soon, it's just the beta kinda takes priority.
Legba's a good guy, he wouldn't string me along for a few months like this..he actually connected with the guy's character to try and find the stuff...
Simple logic..they need that database finished before they can tell us if there will be a whipe or not. If they are working that hard on it, there's not really any reason for a whipe of items, other than fixing the economy. No reason to erase everything if they got some new hamsters to count everything :) hmmm..maybe monkeys could count better
I'd imagine that clans/clan cash will automatically be reset, as will the current OP holdings...the current clans are not really necessary information for the database, who knows who's coming to Doy or not, clans can be rebuilt fast, and you can make millions in hours if you know how. ( I can make a million a day easy at el-farid with my lowbie Psi)

Obviously, any item wipe questions and the item tracker are connected, when the database is finished, KK will tell us. Legba told me that he will contact KK, and mail me when he has some information, so if I here anything, I'll let you know..

For the people who understand French, or anybody that wants to translate, go ahead, I pretty much told ya everything it says though...

[QUOTE=Legba (Alchemic Dream GM, Venus]Salut,
KK est en train de travailler sur un système pour repérer les objets plus facilement,. Je vais recontacter KK à ce propos d'ailleurs, parce que c'était un job qu'ils étaient censés finir apres l'installation des serveurs beta.
Dès que j'ai une info je te préviens.....

(edited to remove personal information.)

I know there are differences between AD and KK, however, Legba said it himself, they are working on the system,so, I'd imagine they will tell us when they know what their (KK's) capabilities are..that's the kind of detail you save to the end anyway, get all the big shit worked out first..

Maybe I'm dreaming, but I'm guessing at the worst, clans will disappear with their cash/stuff, and maybe a partial wipe, because of server capabilities/helping out the economy..
I'm sure NC2's economy will get screwed as fast as NC's, though...the cheaters are gone, the APC's got nerfed, but the economy is still screwed..human nature:p
Let's not be greedy..do ya really need 5 CS's and 10 Maledictions...even if it's limited to gogo/personal capacity, you can carry a lot of shit between 4 characters, and some people have multiple accounts..at the worst, LOM everything into transport for the move, chances are, we're gonna wake up in our apartments anyway, right next to the gogos and cabinets.......

:angel:

I guess I didn't really tell anybody anything new here, I just felt like typing it..
that post by ratman about the party made me hopeful for the future, that's all.. :)

DonnyJepp
10-08-04, 04:38
fuck now I have to move about 5000 things out of the clan apt :(

Mobius
10-08-04, 04:48
it's just gear and cash.. they can never wipe what's really important, the characters. all with different personalities, biased in different directions. the players make the game, not the equipment. ;)

Drexel
10-08-04, 04:57
Whats AD ?

Truth is we are all replaceable, why should they care about 500 veterans when there may be 50,000- nibs out there in the target market.

However if even a partial wipe does take place I will continue to play Neocron, because of the lack of options available, HOWEVER I will not continue playing with my current level of interest, i only work as hard as i do because of the initial understanding upon buying the game that a character & his possesions are perpetual.

If ANY wipe occurs I can never trust them again and the thousands of hours ive spent playing have been absolutley wasted. I say wasted because in a normal game your playing time is all fun, there is no long term aim other than to have fun, however in the perpetual world of Neocron you are prepared to do alot of non-fun activities in order to better your position & more than half of my ingame time has NOT been fun. I would never have undertaken these repeditive chores having known I would lose the benefit of this effort at a later date.

So please dont reguard any wipe, however small as a non-issue, it is, its my time were talking here, so you are saying my time is incosequencial and I take that as an insult.

A better question to KK then would be 'if' you are still working on a system that 'may' let us take items forward to DoY, then even if its not ready at DoY launch, could we keep our characters & items in 'classic' Neocron until a fix is found, i would be prepared to wait, coz it would still be less time than it took me to obtain my current ingame possessions & cash.

Mobius
10-08-04, 05:05
humm.. true.. very true.. loads of booring hours have passed to get my gear. and yep.. a wipe would take.. well.. half a year off my life i suppose.. so i take that whole post back, except for the part about the players beeing the most valuable thing on the server. and heeey.. nibs are valuable too.. =) even though we pwn 'em.. hehe

40$Poser
10-08-04, 05:14
Whats AD ?

Truth is we are all replaceable, why should they care about 500 veterans when there may be 50,000- nibs out there in the target market.

However if even a partial wipe does take place I will continue to play Neocron, because of the lack of options available, HOWEVER I will not continue playing with my current level of interest, i only work as hard as i do because of the initial understanding upon buying the game that a character & his possesions are perpetual.

If ANY wipe occurs I can never trust them again and the thousands of hours ive spent playing have been absolutley wasted. I say wasted because in a normal game your playing time is all fun, there is no long term aim other than to have fun, however in the perpetual world of Neocron you are prepared to do alot of non-fun activities in order to better your position & more than half of my ingame time has NOT been fun. I would never have undertaken these repeditive chores having known I would lose the benefit of this effort at a later date.

So please dont reguard any wipe, however small as a non-issue, it is, its my time were talking here, so you are saying my time is incosequencial and I take that as an insult.

A better question to KK then would be 'if' you are still working on a system that 'may' let us take items forward to DoY, then even if its not ready at DoY launch, could we keep our characters & items in 'classic' Neocron until a fix is found, i would be prepared to wait, coz it would still be less time than it took me to obtain my current ingame possessions & cash.

AD would be the french company that runs the french server and so forth.

Drexel
10-08-04, 05:26
Hmmm, interesting, so what the hell are the french doing ? , are they getting any answers ?

I understand their change over may be different to ours but its good to know what is possible with the program.

Even if they told us, they cant currently transfer items but their working on it it be cool with that.

The trouble is with no information all you have 500 nerds sitting in a small dark room all day without the distracions of sports or sex, that normal people enjoy, imagining what DoY MIGHT be like going foward, and thats bound to produce some tension. ;)

@ 40$ - your sig rocks, if we had sig voting, youd get 5 stars.

SorkZmok
10-08-04, 06:23
People who do not want that wipe are the ones who

1) stole tons of stuff from people (and those people deserve to die painfully)
2) got everything cause they are in a big clan or been playing for ages (and because of that will have their stuff back in about 1 week as they know how and where to get it)
3) assholes who exploited (who now can not exploit their shit anymore and need to be shot anyway)
4) Roleplaying people. Those are fucked, as they cant keep their hard earned items that you cant get anymore. Like err dogtags of people who quit and errr dogtags of people who quit and err dildos of maven, copot rifles, recordable datacubes you can atually get in less than half an hour, dogtags of people who quit, and i bet some other things. Sorry if i forgot dogtags that actually are faction medals. :)

And anyway, 10 new players > 1 ignorant beta fucker who thinks he knows everything.

I'm fine. :)

Birkoff
10-08-04, 07:18
If u get to keep ur invent or gogo it will be a good thing, all the useless shit needs to be wipped n e way. I don't know about tech parts... that will be annoying.

If all they have to do is work on a database im guessing it will be delayed due to extraw workon the database so that we keep our shit.... hell its 18 months late already... lol

Shadow Dancer
10-08-04, 07:20
I'd trade all my items(and char) for a shit load of new players, but if I get my stuff wiped and there are barely any new people due to lack of advertising, i'm going to flip.

Btw, nice generalizations Sork.

Ravin
10-08-04, 07:34

2) got everything cause they are in a big clan or been playing for ages (and because of that will have their stuff back in about 1 week as they know how and where to get it)
3) assholes who exploited (who now can not exploit their shit anymore and need to be shot anyway)
4) Roleplaying people. Those are fucked, as they cant keep their hard earned items that you cant get anymore. Like err dogtags of people who quit and errr dogtags of people who quit and err dildos of maven, copot rifles, recordable datacubes you can atually get in less than half an hour, dogtags of people who quit, and i bet some other things. Sorry if i forgot dogtags that actually are faction medals. :)

And anyway, 10 new players > 1 ignorant beta fucker who thinks he knows everything.

? and a hearty [ edited ] right back at ya m8.

People who want the wipe:

A. People who would sacrifice their own items so the economies get fixed, a little silly b/c of the way the game economy here works, but this viewpoint i can respect, especially from ppl who in fact, do have a lot to lose.
B. People who don't have lots of items, and never put in any hard work to get a large collection of items, and as a result don't care if someone elses hard-earned items disappear. Anyone who thinks ppl should lose everything because they themselves dont have a lot, [ edited ].

i'd like to see you get all the stuff i have in a week as well, be interesting to watch.

[ edited ]

heh, and sry for the flaming vithar, right as i posted it i started to edit in some toning down. man u edited that fast :D

SorkZmok
10-08-04, 07:38
? and a hearty [ edited ] right back at ya m8.

People who want the wipe:

A. People who would sacrifice their own items so the economies get fixed, a little silly b/c of the way the game economy here works, but this viewpoint i can respect, especially from ppl who in fact, do have a lot to lose.
B. People who don't have lots of items, and never put in any hard work to get a large collection of items, and as a result don't care if someone elses hard-earned items disappear. Anyone who thinks ppl should lose everything because they themselves dont have a lot, [ edited ].

i'd like to see you get all the stuff i have in a week as well, be interesting to watch.

[ edited ].I'm playing since the game hit retail. I got tons of stuff. And i PRAY for an itemwipe.
Thank you.

Oh, im gonna keep playing then. :)

WebShock
10-08-04, 09:02
swork, not everyone who plays this game exploited. I myself took a year and a half to legitimatly get all the money items and stuff I own.

Its BS, this whole wipe thing. The 200 raptors on my droner that i spents DAYS researching, constructing and recycling/building parts that i needed.

the 5 slot spells that i spent eons making money for to either buy or be able to afford to continue making.

How about that 5 slot Ravager and CS, how the hell do you exploit to get that?

Wait, i hacked someone and stole their shit cuz im too big of a dumb ass to build that myself too.

get a clue, if my MC5 chips are wiped, I cba to ever go back to that damned place. So, most likely I will walk away from this game. Right now the promised graphics upgrades do not match anywhere near what the next gen mmo graphics are going to.
Its already a slap in the face that an expansion is being marketed as nc2

not to mention the infinite lag, fre and all the other stupid bugs. I am very optomistic that this new game will do away with all these problems. After all it is still neocron, just an expansion with new higher definition graphics.

A wipe would be a major slap in the face. This game just wouldnt be worth continueing if i had to start all over.

giga191
10-08-04, 09:57
I'd trade all my items(and char) for a shit load of new players, but if I get my stuff wiped and there are barely any new people due to lack of advertising, i'm going to flip.
I doubt that new players will be attracted any more or any less if there is an item wipe. It's not as if that KK would state in an advert for doy that there will be an item wipe and loads of people say "Holy shit, an item wipe, lets go buy that game" :lol:

Original monk
10-08-04, 10:06
i didnt read anything postive about itemwipes here, i read sumthing about dont be greedy and dont keep 10 cs's ...

well this has shit to do with being greedy tbh ... if ya worked really hard for 2 years to get 10 decent cs's for example then ya have the right to take em with you ... simple, and this counts for everything, every possible 10 slotted weapon, imp, datacube, 1 chittin or whatever ...

partial wipe sucks and regular wipe sucks also

garyu69
10-08-04, 10:11

I'm fine. :)Actually i don't want a wipe and i don't fit into any of your supposed points. You ever thought about the casual gamer who hasn't got the time to gain what they have gained in the past 2 years? An item wipe will only benefit the larger clans and those who can play 24/7 which will in turn fuck it over for the rest of us and you also, unless you are in a large clan or play 24/7
:rolleyes:

athon
10-08-04, 10:18
Actually i don't want a wipe and i don't fit into any of your supposed points. You ever thought about the casual gamer who hasn't got the time to gain what they have gained in the past 2 years? An item wipe will only benefit the larger clans and those who can play 24/7 which will in turn fuck it over for the rest of us and you also, unless you are in a large clan or play 24/7
:rolleyes:
Agreed.

Also, I think that, if anything, an item wipe can only negatively affect the possible influx of new players. If there's an item wipe there is liable to be lots of bitching on the forums, which potential players will come and see and then think 'this isn't very good - won't bother with this'.

I wouldn't quit if there was an item wipe, but I would be severely annoyed. I'd lose my blueprint collection, my bunch of drones I recently built for my droner, my rares and my collection of rare parts.

Also, your point about big clans bitching about an item wipe doesn't fit. IMO they are the ones who will find it easiest to get loads of stuff back very quickly after an item wipe.

Athon Solo

garyu69
10-08-04, 10:33
The majority of the Neocron community are a sharing community and with new players coming in i am sure pretty much everyone will offer helping hands to new people who have never played before. If there is an Item wipe this will not be possible.

If there is to be an item wipe there also needs to be a character wipe. THere is no way that anyone can justify just wiping items away and keeping your capped characters because those are the people who will then take control of the server forming the biggest clan and giving the new runners a hell of a hard time.

athon
10-08-04, 11:49
The majority of the Neocron community are a sharing community and with new players coming in i am sure pretty much everyone will offer helping hands to new people who have never played before. If there is an Item wipe this will not be possible.
I disagree. I've seen with my own eyes the results of a total wipe and there are experianced players who truly know how to power level characters.

If there is to be an item wipe there also needs to be a character wipe. THere is no way that anyone can justify just wiping items away and keeping your capped characters because those are the people who will then take control of the server forming the biggest clan and giving the new runners a hell of a hard time.
Agreed.

Athon Solo

Archeus
10-08-04, 12:01
excuse my french, but an item wipe is complete bollox.

I spend all that time to get items, only to find that it all gets deleted? its worse then getting hacked.

Would there be any point of playing now then?

Aziraphale
10-08-04, 12:07
Haha an item wipe without a char wipe would be hilarious. All the ***'s would be running around using nailguns and stuff for the first day because they can't afford anything else :lol:

Endar
10-08-04, 14:50
Just wanted to bumb this, I dont know if its real or not but I belive the Tomalak.

Maybe this is calm you guys...

Marx
10-08-04, 14:54
Same.

Shadow Dancer
10-08-04, 18:03
Webshock echoed my thoughts about mc5. That's one of the biggest reasons I don't want a wipe, that place is stupid, frustrating, and boring. Did I mentiong incredibly boring? I really don't wanna go back there to get my DS again.

God I hate that place. Also, the thought of everyone camping 1 tiny spot on the server because KK erased all their mc5s, just makes me shudder.

Carinth
10-08-04, 18:53
I don't understand why people think an item wipe would "waste a years work" or somehow negate all the fun they've had in neocron. How can a wipe retroactively ruin Neocron? Why is it pointless to obtain items in Neocron now if we knew there was going to be a wipe?

Losing my items does not at all change the past for me. It changes my future, I'd be bummed at having to do MC5 again and build hundreds of spells for the 5slotters. So even if they did wipe, I wouldn't say my 2 years at nc were a waste. The time I spent gathering my stuff was made worthwhile because I used those items for the last two years. If they told us in a month they'll be wiping, I would still be inclined to go hunting and gather stuff now. Why? Because for the next few weeks I'll use those items. They'll have value to me and will have made the time spent worthwhile.

Mobius
10-08-04, 20:27
I've changed my mind completely now, reading these posts made that to me.

Item wipe is insane.

1. There will be zero stuff for us to give away to the nibs.
2. Nibs will say "ouch.. look at those poor bastards that has been playing for 2-3 years.. they got bummed by KK"
3. I LIKE MY GEAR!
4. I LIKE MY GEAR!

Mobius
10-08-04, 20:28
I don't understand why people think an item wipe would "waste a years work" or somehow negate all the fun they've had in neocron. How can a wipe retroactively ruin Neocron? Why is it pointless to obtain items in Neocron now if we knew there was going to be a wipe?

Losing my items does not at all change the past for me. It changes my future, I'd be bummed at having to do MC5 again and build hundreds of spells for the 5slotters. So even if they did wipe, I wouldn't say my 2 years at nc were a waste. The time I spent gathering my stuff was made worthwhile because I used those items for the last two years. If they told us in a month they'll be wiping, I would still be inclined to go hunting and gather stuff now. Why? Because for the next few weeks I'll use those items. They'll have value to me and will have made the time spent worthwhile.

oh you defenitly need to eat more meat.

Spermy
10-08-04, 20:46
Well rather than bitch about it, just wait and see, a longshot but KK are pulling out all the stops on NC2 so I think we have a lot to look forward to, maybe they have a plan for the item wipe maybe not, but hey, you can't please everyone, people are bound to be disappointed in some form or another.

Carinth
10-08-04, 23:56
It's been said that by not having vast warehouses of stuff to give away to noobs, we somehow won't be able to help them.

I'm sorry but I completely disagree. I believe thats the worst way you can help noobs. Giving them 500k and whatever else they need is making them dependant on you and other established players. They won't value it either, since they didn't do any work to get it. I know the syndrome, I've seen it in other games. It's happened in Neocron aswell, with new players running around asking if anyone has cash to spare. Eventualy someone gives them a mil and they run off happy.

I believe that with a wipe, you will be forced to be active in the most important part of the game once again. You will *not* have the resources to be independant, thus you will hafta work with others. You will hafta trade with other players for things you need. Some might isolate themselves and exclusively work with old friends, but I really believe most will be inclined to chat/spread knowledge to the new players. Why? Because you will both be in the noob sewers! Your social contacts will expand with people you wouldn't otherwise have had any reason to deal with.

For example I have an obscene item collection and access to any tradeskill I'll need. Money has little value to me, so why would have any reason to deal with a new player trying to get their first rare? If I'm feeling generous I might just give parts to him, but I have no incentive too. There's nothing he can offer me in exchange. Because of this, I usualy leave Trade disabled, though spam is a contributing factor. I simply don't need to trade that much or ask for tradeskillers.

All of that would change with a wipe, suddenly we'll be dependant on each other more and we'll interact. Social interactions will be made and the community will be enriched.

Marx
11-08-04, 00:12
Speaking of interaction, I've received everything I've had through it, it's hard to be a lonesome skiller. Whenever I've been in a 'big clan' it's always been for a short stay, so I've never really had that option and benefit to leveling and getting equipment. In the end, it always came down to my friends and I being in a small time clan. We were never really on much, so hunting was wasted on us, as was most PvP... So we were all tradeskillers; some were trade/fight hybrids, but all of our income came from providing services and trading.

My friends and I worked and worked, and in the end all our work paid off. W/T was the richest clan on Pluto for a time with over 350 million credits, but then an unnamed clan doubled its cash pool overnight, no doubt via *cough*illegal*cough* methods.

Then one of my friends loses his apartment, one full of rare material... Not parts or weapons but historical items. We try and get stuff back, spend many millions... But it just wasn't the same after that. He left.

Back on track: you earn what you worked for, how would you feel if someone took your house and all your belongings so you can start all over again?

You would get pissed.

I'm working on getting rare material back in the hopes that some sort of makeshift musuem can be rigged together... But if all that gets wiped again?

Instead of getting pissed at a video game, my friends and I would simply leave and find something else to enjoy.

The only thing which can possibly make us stay in that event was a amazingly good publishing plan; because at least then we'd have people on when we play... Which would sort of make up for the inconvenience... But the lack of word about it is disheartening to say the least.

Garg [RogueNET]
11-08-04, 00:28
id hate to loose my medal i got from the NExT FC :(