PDA

View Full Version : {OT} Need a good disk defragmenter.

Seven
10-08-04, 02:16
Can one of you gurus recommend a real good disk defragmenter for WinXP, preferably with an option to choose which files are placed at the front of the disk.
Free would be great, but I don't care if I have to pay for one at this point.

Thanks.

..i..DemonX
10-08-04, 02:28
Powequest PartionMagic 8.0

Very good programm for kidna everything u can do with HD's. Like format, make new Partions, change size etc.

Dirk_Gently
10-08-04, 02:38
I just use the super basic Diskeeper lite because it is fast, free and does all I need it to (I don't need anything flash as one of my hard drives is screwed and picks up about 1500 fragments a day so it's really just firefighting)

For selecting which files go where you will probably have to pay money for one.

Celt
10-08-04, 02:42
I've been told by people who(i presume) know, that windows disk defragmenter is about as good as they come.

Mumblyfish
10-08-04, 02:48
Executive Software's Diskeeper Pro. Nothing can compare. Just put it on Set It And Forget It and it'll defrag whatever it can when the computer's dormant. Neat!

DonnyJepp
10-08-04, 02:57
Winternals Defrag Manager.

http://www.winternals.com/es/solutions/DefragManager.asp

but Diskeeper is pretty cool, if overrated. O&O also make a good product also.

seraphian
10-08-04, 03:19
Disk keeper is fine by me...

The one that came with Norton System Utilities a while back wasn't bad either. The basic windows one does in a pinch, but I never liked it.

uber java
10-08-04, 05:28
Personally, I perfer Diskeeper over the built-in windows defragmenting program.

WebShock
10-08-04, 14:52
yep, disk keeper blows away everything else. including the built in windefragger.

If you want to go for a name tag, check out Symantec Norton SystemWorks. Its not as good but it comes with other handy tools.

Maarten
10-08-04, 15:32
O&O Defrag over here...

Celt
10-08-04, 15:36
When I had to defrag 2*120gb full harddrives, I installed 3 or 4 different defraggers(suprnova is your friend), they all seemed to offer the same performance, just some were more intuitive then others.

C

Seven
10-08-04, 18:26
OK, thanks everyone for the help, will check on all of these mentioned here.
Thanks again.