PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP SP2 soon to be released!

StryfeX
09-08-04, 17:18
This is just a friendly warning, XP SP2 is soon to be released. OEM's just got it last Thursday (I think that was the day) and the ISO has been released on the MSDN site.

Go here (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/default.mspx) to read about SP2.

Special thanks to DonnyJepp for getting it to me. :)

--Stryfe

Benjie
09-08-04, 17:34
Any idea if it will be better than Windown 98? Heh.
I'm looking into a good upgrade for my ancient os.
Can't wait for the new GF cards either, I can finally tear out my old GF3.

Mumblyfish
09-08-04, 17:37
Any idea if it will be better than Windown 98? Heh.
WindowsXP is by far the best OS out there, unless you're looking into video editing/running a server or other Pro stuff like that. If you can afford it, get it. The stability and speed is unmatched.

Benjie
09-08-04, 17:38
WindowsXP is by far the best OS out there, unless you're looking into video editing/running a server or other Pro stuff like that. If you can afford it, get it. The stability and speed is unmatched.
I have heard that Windows2000 is the same thing minus a few pointless features. Plus I'm 20 and on my own income, so budget is a real concern for me.

Mumblyfish
09-08-04, 17:41
I have heard that Windows2000 is the same thing minus a few pointless features. Plus I'm 20 and on my own income, so budget is a real concern for me.
Windows 2000 doesn't really run as fast (bootup time is sloooow), doesn't look as pretty, and is stable enough, but nowhere near as good as XP. If budget is a problem, go for 2000, but if you can spare the cash look on eBay for a copy of XP Home (or Pro if you can dig out a little more).

Aziraphale
09-08-04, 17:42
[ edited ]

Mumblyfish
09-08-04, 17:43
[ edited ]I'LL CUT YOUR FACE!

CUT YOUR FACE!

CUT YOUR FACE!

Pirating is bad, 'kay?

Neocrons_coward
09-08-04, 17:54
got windows xp a week after it first came out and never used a service pack before got over 150 updates and to me.... they dont mean anything special hehe:P

Seven
09-08-04, 17:56
Windows XP Media Center Edition, Version 2002 Service Pack 1

Best OS I've used so far. :cool:

Ormy
09-08-04, 19:05
I've been using the XP SP2 beta now for months. No huge changes really, apart from some major improvements on the windows firewall and a couple extra ever-mysterious processes running.

Eddie
09-08-04, 19:35
It's now available on HTTP from Neowin if anyone's interested.

Eddie

EDIT: Linky: http://data.neowin.net/pro/modules/tracker/aat.php?name=XPSP2-MS&url=http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/6/5/165b076b-aaa9-443d-84f0-73cf11fdcdf8/WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe

Agent L
09-08-04, 20:00
Hehe, here where I live win2k is marginally more expensive than XP. Both pros, ofcoz.

Carinth
09-08-04, 20:40
That I know of, there are two huge improvements in SP2. One is the firewall improvements, you can actualy customize it more now. You can allow/disalow certain programs. Basicly the stuff you could do in almost every single other firewall out there, you can finnaly do in the built in ms firewall. The other big improvement is in Internet Explorer. They finnaly added an interface for the ActiveX Plugins and other assorted addons/plugins/bso's/crap that gets attached to IE. At the moment the only way you can disable/delete these are with third party programs. So its about time IE had the funtionality.

There are lots of other changes I forget atm, but nothing that major aside from aforementioned two modifcations. I assume there will also be another half hearted atempt at cracking down on piracy too.

manderf
09-08-04, 20:46
There are lots of other changes I forget atm, but nothing that major aside from aforementioned two modifcations. I assume there will also be another half hearted atempt at cracking down on piracy too.
[ edited ]

Eddie
09-08-04, 20:58
That I know of, there are two huge improvements in SP2. One is the firewall improvements, you can actualy customize it more now. You can allow/disalow certain programs. Basicly the stuff you could do in almost every single other firewall out there, you can finnaly do in the built in ms firewall. The other big improvement is in Internet Explorer. They finnaly added an interface for the ActiveX Plugins and other assorted addons/plugins/bso's/crap that gets attached to IE. At the moment the only way you can disable/delete these are with third party programs. So its about time IE had the funtionality.

Bear in mind that SP2 doesn't block outgoing communications just like every other firewall out there - which makes it pretty much useless in my book.
(However, I do remember seeing pre-releases RC1/2 have support for it? I swear I saw a screenie asking a user if they would like to let some program access the internet...?)

I'm sticking to the free version of Sygate Personal Firewall.

Eddie

Sorin
09-08-04, 21:40
I really like XP, but I'm using Win2k until

A) They get rid of activation. I'm a hardware nut, I upgrade and reinstall too often for activation to not be a problem.

B) The auto hardware detection driver installer thingy. I have yet to find a way to turn the damn thing off. I hate trying to install new hardware or reinstall drivers only to have XP install it's own drivers before I can install my own. No cancel button, no override, nothing. It's gotta go.

When they get those two things sorted out, I'll go out and actually get a good copy. There's a lot of things I really like about XP, including the great start menu customization, but the two things mentioned above 100% kill it for me.

Archeus
09-08-04, 21:41
Heh, I've been told in work not under any circumstances to install it on any machine. Might throw it on the home machine.

I heard the final release will disable any pirate version of XP from getting updated, or they remove that?

A) They get rid of activation. I'm a hardware nut, I upgrade and reinstall too often for activation to not be a problem.

The brother had to ring MS twice to get his activation working again. The first time he rang, he was a bit amazed at how easy he got a new key with no proof he actually owned the key.

Sorin
09-08-04, 21:43
Heh, I've been told in work not under any circumstances to install it on any machine. Might throw it on the home machine.

I heard the final release will disable any pirate version of XP from getting updated, or they remove that?

I think they said somewhere that they were going to skip out on trying to annoy pirates and just let them get sp2 and updates because protecting everyone from viruses was deemed more important (definitely not a bad thing).

Whether they changed their mind or not, I dunno, but that's the way it was last I heard.

Vithar
09-08-04, 21:49
Please do not discuss software piracy, joking or not.

Thank you.

V

Carinth
09-08-04, 22:49
Almost forgot, IE will get a popup blocker too! My opinion of SP2 is that it'll update MS to were everyone else has already been for the past year.

Eddie: I'm pretty sure the new version of Windows Firewall does indeed block outgoing apps/ports along with incoming.

StryfeX
09-08-04, 23:47
Eddie: I'm pretty sure the new version of Windows Firewall does indeed block outgoing apps/ports along with incoming.It does/will.

About the activation, yes, that is the supreme killer for the OS. Nothing more annoying, including the auto-driver-install, IMO. The *only* way to counter that is to have a corporate version of Windows XP, and those are impossible to get (legally) if you aren't... well, a corporation. (Obviously.) I've heard rumors of activation cracks, but I've also heard they fuck over your PC, so it's not exactly a win/win situation there.

And about the killing of pirated installs, the last "official" notice that I read said that MS is going to disable key checking in favor of getting people protected against virii and worms. Now, they may have done a 180, but I hope not. (To really test this, you'd have to have an install using the DO code.)

--Stryfe

Eddie
13-08-04, 00:25
It does/will.

About the activation, yes, that is the supreme killer for the OS. Nothing more annoying, including the auto-driver-install, IMO. The *only* way to counter that is to have a corporate version of Windows XP, and those are impossible to get (legally) if you aren't... well, a corporation. (Obviously.) I've heard rumors of activation cracks, but I've also heard they fuck over your PC, so it's not exactly a win/win situation there.

And about the killing of pirated installs, the last "official" notice that I read said that MS is going to disable key checking in favor of getting people protected against virii and worms. Now, they may have done a 180, but I hope not. (To really test this, you'd have to have an install using the DO code.)

--Stryfe

Not quite sure if this is classed as resurrecting old topics: but on my SP2 - I don't get a dialog box asking me if I want to let a certain application connect to the internet - which is what I define as blocking outgoing communications.

This has become a essential feature of firewalls now, as I can restrict which applications can access the internet - and know when they are doing it. For one, I am very "spyware" conscious - so if anything was trying send information about me I could block it straight away. Same goes for trojans.

Eddie

StryfeX
13-08-04, 01:23
Not quite sure if this is classed as resurrecting old topics: but on my SP2 - I don't get a dialog box asking me if I want to let a certain application connect to the internet - which is what I define as blocking outgoing communications.

This has become a essential feature of firewalls now, as I can restrict which applications can access the internet - and know when they are doing it. For one, I am very "spyware" conscious - so if anything was trying send information about me I could block it straight away. Same goes for trojans.

EddieIf you have a firewall program (a la Zonealarm or Sygate, maybe more) installed when you install SP 2, it won't activate the built-in firewall.

--Stryfe

Eddie
13-08-04, 01:51
If you have a firewall program (a la Zonealarm or Sygate, maybe more) installed when you install SP 2, it won't activate the built-in firewall.

--Stryfe

I did a clean slipstreamed install.

When I activated the firewall, and loaded Firefox and other programs up, I got no prompt asking me if I want to allow it to access the network.

And from what I heard, ports/permissions are easily changeable from the command line.

Eddie

Lev
13-08-04, 01:56
Win2k is totarry different then WinXP its wayyy more stable and runs faster (despite what mumbly says) however WinXP is better for gaming, its all about how they treat the underpinnings of the OS 2k gives slightly more preference to system programs and xp to user programs, both run games just fine. winxp is just prettier (which actually slows it down, all those curved edges and what not)

Carinth
13-08-04, 03:17
I just installed sp2 and I love it! The changes to ie alone make it worthwhile.

Eddie: I currently have the windows firewall set on medium level, which means it blocks most stuff but not everything. That's exactly what it does, some programs it doesn't bother while others it immediatly pops up a warning. For example it stopped WolfET until I told it to allow Wolf. Furthermore the firewall has a higher security setting at which point it would yell at everything that tries to access the internet.

I can even begin to describe how awesome sp2 is, for the first time in a long while, I can disable all the security measures I had in place to protect my computer. I don't need spybot running, I don't need spyguard running, I don't need adsgone popup blocker running. I can turn back on the option to run ie plugins instead of always prompting me. Why? Because you have complete control over what plugins can run and which can't. Also, there is no more auto downloading or auto prompting to install plugins, it throws that to a new information bar. So unless you actively click it and install the plugin, you wont be getting any unkown plugins. That means i'm safe to run what i have.

For example, with a few clicks I can disable the windows update plugin for ie. If I try to go to windows update it'll behave as if the plugin is not installed and wont let me get any updates. With a quick click I can enable it again and the page works fine. That reminds me, they upgraded windows update aswell, it's now v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com. The interface is much nicer now.

Eddie
13-08-04, 13:30
I just installed sp2 and I love it! The changes to ie alone make it worthwhile.

Eddie: I currently have the windows firewall set on medium level, which means it blocks most stuff but not everything. That's exactly what it does, some programs it doesn't bother while others it immediatly pops up a warning. For example it stopped WolfET until I told it to allow Wolf. Furthermore the firewall has a higher security setting at which point it would yell at everything that tries to access the internet.

I can even begin to describe how awesome sp2 is, for the first time in a long while, I can disable all the security measures I had in place to protect my computer. I don't need spybot running, I don't need spyguard running, I don't need adsgone popup blocker running. I can turn back on the option to run ie plugins instead of always prompting me. Why? Because you have complete control over what plugins can run and which can't. Also, there is no more auto downloading or auto prompting to install plugins, it throws that to a new information bar. So unless you actively click it and install the plugin, you wont be getting any unkown plugins. That means i'm safe to run what i have.

For example, with a few clicks I can disable the windows update plugin for ie. If I try to go to windows update it'll behave as if the plugin is not installed and wont let me get any updates. With a quick click I can enable it again and the page works fine. That reminds me, they upgraded windows update aswell, it's now v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com. The interface is much nicer now.

Hrm.. looks like I need to change this security level you talk about.

As for SP2 - I'm not *too* impressed.

There's no major functionality change: I use Firefox for my browsing needs, and continue to use Sygate's free Personal Firewall and free Avast! antivirus. (God I'm sounding like such a cheapskate).

However, following up from what I said above, SlashDot had an article detailing a simple command line to add applications to the window firewall's "allowed" list, and to open ports at will - which doesn't fill me with trust.

Another problem is that my computer seems more sluggish than before, and seems to have a few more bugs. For example, every now and again, MBM will crash when I start up - forcing a restart. Which is incredibly annoying.

Conclusion: SP2 is great - and is very security orientated for those who aren't very tech-savvy, or those who previously didn't care. But, there's a lot of work to be done to make it compatible with everything under the sun out there.

Eddie

SjanTeN^
13-08-04, 13:32
erhm...
Really?

Rob01m
13-08-04, 14:14

I'm not quite sure what you are talking about. I've reinstalled windows xp pro at least 20 times, and have upgraded everything in my computer since getting it. No problems with activation here.

B) The auto hardware detection driver installer thingy. I have yet to find a way to turn the damn thing off. I hate trying to install new hardware or reinstall drivers only to have XP install it's own drivers before I can install my own. No cancel button, no override, nothing. It's gotta go.

Again, don't know what you are talking about. I've never installed drivers for something and had Windows XP override with some dated drivers from a cabinet file.

Does this have anything to do with WHQL certified drivers? You can disable all that crap. Otherwise, I have no clue what you are talking about, nor does it affect me, your humble component upgrader whatsoever.

I used to use Windows 2000, even after XP came out I used to be a hardcore 2000 fan. That all passes when you actually use the operating system. Personally, I can't think of a single reason to use Windows 2000 over XP now.

Shakari
13-08-04, 14:56

windows xp uses 25% more resources than win2k but has a fancier interface :)

2k will do 99% of what XP will so if u want speed without the system overheads Win2k is better generally :)

Carinth
13-08-04, 17:40
yes, if you don't use ie and don't use windows firewall, then you won't see much improvement in sp2 : )

Sorin
14-08-04, 06:43
Again, don't know what you are talking about. I've never installed drivers for something and had Windows XP override with some dated drivers from a cabinet file.

When I uninstall drivers and then restart is when it happens. I get no options to cancel or anything, just suddenly the box pops up in the bottom right in the system tray saying "your new hardware has been installed" and it indicates the video card (for example). Even when I do get a wizard window thing, pressing cancel is just for show, as it doesn't actually stop the install; the "your new hardware has been installed" thing pops up anyways. XP doing something that I can't override or prevent is automatically -1 million brownie points, man.

Unless you have a way to turn that off.

Rob01m
14-08-04, 07:23
When I uninstall drivers and then restart is when it happens. I get no options to cancel or anything, just suddenly the box pops up in the bottom right in the system tray saying "your new hardware has been installed" and it indicates the video card (for example). Even when I do get a wizard window thing, pressing cancel is just for show, as it doesn't actually stop the install; the "your new hardware has been installed" thing pops up anyways. XP doing something that I can't override or prevent is automatically -1 million brownie points, man.

Unless you have a way to turn that off.

There is a solution.

Windows XP will not override your drivers unless you install a service pack after your drivers, however if you uninstall drivers it may load it's own drivers from a cabinet file. The solution of course is to delete the files in the cabinet.

Download Driver Cleaner 3. Not only should you use this after uninstalling any video driver (in safe mode) for cleaning the drivers left over due to unfinished uninstalls, but it also has a Cab cleaner function which will delete any common ATI/Nvidia/etc driver stored in the windows cabinet file.

This feature was most likely added to protect those who are bad with computers that accidentally delete/uninstall their drivers. Installing new drivers will never be overridden unless you install a service pack. Delete the drivers stored within the cabinet.

Sorin
14-08-04, 07:35
I did use Driver Cleaner, I always use that when changing video drivers. Love that program, by the way. Just wish the drivers.cab didn't take so long. The service pack cab didn't take all that long but drivers.cab......damn.