PDA

View Full Version : Potassium

MrChumble
08-08-04, 22:47
The forums a bit quiet today, so I'll post this although it's not exactly exciting.

I've been paying quite a bit of attention to my diet lately, cos I was a little alarmed by the you are what you eat program on C4 (UK). My diet is nothing like as bad as anyone on the program, and I've actually been losing weight steadily for a year now due to a few common sense changes to my diet.

I hadn't worried too much about nutrients, minerals etc though. I've been reading up on them lately and discovered I had some of the symtoms of potassium deficiency. This morning I went out and got myself some sunflower seeds (very high in potassium, mmm yummy) and had quite a few this morning.

Potassium regulates water retention and other stuff (I said read, not understood)...and since I ate the seeds I've been sweating like a pig in a sauna. I seem to be oozing water all over the bloody place. Odd thing is I feel absolutely fine :wtf: In fact more than fine, I've felt pretty darn good all day.

Anyone know more about this stuff and know if I'm about to keel over, or if this is ok? :D

Marx
08-08-04, 22:51
Don't worry about it.

steweygrrr
08-08-04, 22:53
The forums a bit quiet today, so I'll post this although it's not exactly exciting.

I've been paying quite a bit of attention to my diet lately, cos I was a little alarmed by the you are what you eat program on C4 (UK). My diet is nothing like as bad as anyone on the program, and I've actually been losing weight steadily for a year now due to a few common sense changes to my diet.

I hadn't worried too much about nutrients, minerals etc though. I've been reading up on them lately and discovered I had some of the symtoms of potassium deficiency. This morning I went out and got myself some sunflower seeds (very high in potassium, mmm yummy) and had quite a few this morning.

Potassium regulates water retention and other stuff (I said read, not understood)...and since I ate the seeds I've been sweating like a pig in a sauna. I seem to be oozing water all over the bloody place. Odd thing is I feel absolutely fine :wtf: In fact more than fine, I've felt pretty darn good all day.

Anyone know more about this stuff and know if I'm about to keel over, or if this is ok? :D

Don't worry about it....I'd go into detail but I've forgotten my a-level biology =/.

Trya slightly higher sodium intake to regulate the water loss.

rob444
08-08-04, 22:53
Hmm, those werent sunflower seeds ^^

giga191
08-08-04, 22:56
Aren't sunflower seeds an aphrodisiac? :p

steweygrrr
08-08-04, 22:56
or theres another solution....rant....you'll feel better

MrChumble
08-08-04, 22:59
or theres another solution....rant....you'll feel better

I only rant when something annoying happens in game. I'm feeling quite chilled this evening, so you're all safe for now :D

Time for a nice cup of warm milk and a book. I'm starting to feel like an old man. In the supermarket today I was wondering if the kid at the checkout was old enough to be out of primary school yet :(

and1guy
08-08-04, 23:05
sounds like you wanted to take him home and show him your potassium levels

Benjie
08-08-04, 23:06
The best diet change I ever did was becoming tetotal. :p Weight loss, heavier wallet and I feel 10x better! :D
Actually I'm on a diet, I'll look into sunflower seeds. Ty. ;)

Agent L
08-08-04, 23:45
man, if you read enough medi books/articles you'll surelly find out symptoms of something.
However *doing* search is a symptom of hypochondria... : D
@Benjie - what is tetotal(?teetotal?) ? alcohol-free?

Melkior
09-08-04, 00:42
if you put pure potassium in water it will give off large quantities of hydrogen gas, and lots of heat, thus causing it to ignite, if you do the same with a block of caesium, which is in the same group of alkali metals but further down the periodic table it will cause a large explosion (yes this is fun, and yes it does work)

Mumblyfish
09-08-04, 00:47
@Benjie - what is tetotal(?teetotal?) ? alcohol-free?
Yep. I never drink alchy-holl either, unless it's being forced on me at a social event, like bricking the headteacher's car or stealing traffic cones. And it's not because I'm worried about my health (my diet is total shit, never eat veg or fruit), but because it tastes like I'm drinking piss. Godawful stuff.

Captain Edit, Defender of Posts: Melkior, I introduce to you the most fun element ever... Francium! (http://www.webelements.com/webelements/elements/text/Fr/key.html)

Tratos
09-08-04, 00:48
if you put pure potassium in water it will give off large quantities of hydrogen gas, and lots of heat, thus causing it to ignite, if you do the same with a block of caesium, which is in the same group of alkali metals but further down the periodic table it will cause a large explosion (yes this is fun, and yes it does work)Then theres Francium.....

:eek:

It probably controlls wateryness because of the hydrogen released from it once digested, this then bonds with the oxygen you take it and forms water making you sweat more.

Yep. I never drink alchy-holl either, unless it's being forced on me at a social event, like bricking the headteacher's car or stealing traffic cones. And it's not because I'm worried about my health (my diet is total shit, never eat veg or fruit), but because it tastes like I'm drinking piss. Godawful stuff.
Same as me, cant stand beer/bitter/lager stuff like that so i just drink spirits instead although sadly they do cost alot more :(

Candaman
09-08-04, 00:52
Same as me, cant stand beer/bitter/lager stuff like that so i just drink spirits instead although sadly they do cost alot more :(

Ur not even old enough to drink in the uk let alone the us so mr hard spirit drinker shhhhh

Mumblyfish
09-08-04, 00:53
Ur not even old enough to drink in the uk let alone the us so mr hard spirit drinker shhhhh
This is me sticking up to defend my fellow spirit drinker.

Look at me go.

steweygrrr
09-08-04, 00:59

Eloquently put and so very true.

In other words....

ditto for me ^^

QuantumDelta
09-08-04, 01:21
T's Quite right though, dunno why anyone would wanna drink piss water (Err I mean Lager) .. bitter is ok if you take your time over it, but that's kinda like a whiskey, a drink to be reflected over.

--

Bleh.

Melkior
09-08-04, 02:04
nothin like a nice south-eastern australian semillion chardonnay imo,

on the francium issue, its not really stable enough to get a brick of and throw in a river...not that i would ever do something like that anyway....

Spermy
09-08-04, 02:17
T's Quite right though, dunno why anyone would wanna drink piss water (Err I mean Lager) .. bitter is ok if you take your time over it, but that's kinda like a whiskey, a drink to be reflected over.

--

Bleh.

Which is why they call it bitter! at least in my case!

-REMUS-
09-08-04, 02:27
Larger, Stout, Bitter, Cider and Spirits it's all fair game to me.
I apsoloutely deteste wine though, red or white blurghhhhhhhh :(

I find that a healthy lifestyle helps as much as a healthy varied diet. I like fruit but I dont eat it regually but I eat alot of vegetables.

Mumblyfish
09-08-04, 02:57
I apsoloutely deteste wine though, red or white blurghhhhhhhh :(
White wine is just an acquired taste - I can stomach it now, but it doesn't change the fact that it's awful.

Red wine just tastes of animals. I swear it's made of squirrel.

darknessfairy
09-08-04, 14:41
Offtopic... i drink anything except things like whiskey brandy etc...yuck!

On topic... Bananas are good for potassium as well.. I saw it on TV once..Someone had a condition where they had a potassium deficiancy, and if they got so bad they'd die or something. And then they nearly died, and then someone gave em a 'nana and it was ok

Benjie
09-08-04, 15:19
I used to drink Whisky actually, and I quite liked the taste. I quit after a drunk night of flirting with 40 year old women, dancing with them and trying to touch them up, (I was 18 at the time) followed by me flirting with all my male best mates who didn't even know I was Bisexual. It just happened to make me feel 10x better. I totally didn't see it coming! :)

-REMUS-
09-08-04, 15:27
I used to drink Whisky actually, and I quite liked the taste. I quit after a drunk night of flirting with 40 year old women, dancing with them and trying to touch them up, (I was 18 at the time) followed by me flirting with all my male best mates who didn't even know I was Bisexual. It just happened to make me feel 10x better. I totally didn't see it coming! :)

omg benjie you slut :p

There are lots of types though so you can't just say Whisky, I mean you compare JD to Bells and they are completely different in scent, texture and taste.

I also forgot to say I like moldy wine aka Port ^^

CkVega
09-08-04, 15:30
Nuffink wong wiv evy dwinkin, neva did me any arm!

Aziraphale
09-08-04, 16:44
White wine is just an acquired taste - I can stomach it now, but it doesn't change the fact that it's awful.

Red wine just tastes of animals. I swear it's made of squirrel.

Odd, I always liked white wine and hated red. Now I love red and never drink white.
Both are great for getting tiddly though, I'm blessed with being a lightweight so a couple of glasses has me dancing on the tables.

The only lager I enjoy drinking is Fosters really.

Original monk
09-08-04, 16:44
if you put pure potassium in water it will give off large quantities of hydrogen gas, and lots of heat, thus causing it to ignite, if you do the same with a block of caesium, which is in the same group of alkali metals but further down the periodic table it will cause a large explosion (yes this is fun, and yes it does work)

if this thingie is the thing i saw then its a small little block and when ya trow it in the water it wil explode and fly up in the air again and come back down in the water and explode again etc etc until the little piece is gone :P

pwetty cool yeah :)

Melkior
09-08-04, 17:06
actually the one we saw, they put a pea-size piece in a 1cm thick glass bowl(about the size of a washing-up bowl) it exploded and put a 5 inch hole in the side of the bowl =-D

MrChumble
09-08-04, 18:08
actually the one we saw, they put a pea-size piece in a 1cm thick glass bowl(about the size of a washing-up bowl) it exploded and put a 5 inch hole in the side of the bowl =-D

I remember seeing that back when I was a nipper at school.

It was probably the second best experiment I've seen; the best being when my Elec Engineering lecturer said "don't ever ever try this at home" and dropped a big chunk of metal onto two huge capacitors...the metal vapourised in a large shower of sparks. Was well cool :D

Ascension
09-08-04, 18:15
I remember seeing that back when I was a nipper at school.

It was probably the second best experiment I've seen; the best being when my Elec Engineering lecturer said "don't ever ever try this at home" and dropped a big chunk of metal onto two huge capacitors...the metal vapourised in a large shower of sparks. Was well cool :D

OMFG i think everyone has seen that experiment.. tht was sweet.. but they had a safety screen, noobs :rolleyes: :lol:

Agent L
10-08-04, 19:59
Metallic potassium or even better natrium r0x coz reacting with water it creates strong alkali. And as body is more acidic than alkalic, it has much more devastating effect than acid.
Metalic natrium evil trick : You hand a piece of it (cautious an quickly) to someone "could you hold this for a sec?" It comes into reaction with water in that person sweat, turning from funny ultra-light metal to super-corrosive alkali and starts burning through skin.
Pure evil.

Shakari
10-08-04, 21:08

if u drop the potassium into a beaker of water it to explodes :D:D:D ... oops did i do that lol

Shakari
10-08-04, 21:13
Metallic potassium or even better natrium r0x coz reacting with water it creates strong alkali. And as body is more acidic than alkalic, it has much more devastating effect than acid.
Metalic natrium evil trick : You hand a piece of it (cautious an quickly) to someone "could you hold this for a sec?" It comes into reaction with water in that person sweat, turning from funny ultra-light metal to super-corrosive alkali and starts burning through skin.
Pure evil.

Natrium = Sodium with is below potassium and caesium in the periodic table all are alkali's to so you'd be better with potassium hehe caesium has a tendency to spontaniously bust into flame or explode when contating air :) potassium has a chance to burst into flame on contacting air to lol that why there kept stored sumerged in oil :D

Melkior
16-08-04, 21:46
hehe, to revive an old thread with something fun from the darwin awards...

(New York) Stewart had always been interested in science. During a demonstration at his high school, Stewart saw that the elements lithium, sodium, and potassium all react with water. While assessing the periodic table, he noticed they were all in the same row, and became more reactive as they increased in mass. The last naturally occurring element in that column was cesium, an extremely reactive metal that catastrophically explodes in contact with water.

Stewart used most of his money to buy a small amount of cesium, just 10 grams or enough to blow up a city block, from eBay with the help of his father and a credit card. When the ampoule of cesium arrived, he took it for a boat ride. After cracking the vacuum-sealed glass container, he threw the cesium out into Lake Erie... and was never seen again.