PDA

View Full Version : City of Heroes

Tomalak
07-08-04, 02:44
I just picked up City of Heroes, was wondering people'e impressions of it (besides the fact there there is no PvP, they are fixing that with the City of Villians expansion, apparently), the servers, support, etc....I'm still at the tutorial stage, just trying out the controls,etc..It looks nice, seems well put together in my opinion, so far..
any favorite servers, opinions, whatever?

CarniFlex
07-08-04, 03:06
ask on the coh forums dude. Im sure they more qualified to answer.

Jock Rockwell
07-08-04, 03:30
ask on the coh forums dude. Im sure they more qualified to answer.

Since we can talk about any mmo in here (apart from the one we cant) he has every right to post here.

Imo and from the majority of people i have spoken to the general consensus is its a brilliant game. The only real drawback u already mentioned. Other than that servers are pretty good, havent had a problem with there support, and havent heard of any of my friends having problems. I'm sure you will enjoy it for the first few weeks, then it will begin to drag as theres not much else for you to do. But like u said hopefully with CoV that will be sorted.

Rude Boi
07-08-04, 04:15
well considering PvP isnt broken cos it was never introduced into the game cos superheroes fighting eachother would look stupid... (just think about it)

the numbers of the of play is well above 180k players (that like 179999 more players than nc)

and the support in the game is great, and as with all MMOs as long as u dont mind a little repitition and are a dedicated gamer u should love it :p

Dirk_Gently
07-08-04, 04:20
It is shit hot as far as it goes.

It just has less depth than Tara Palmer Tompkinson. :(

ZzarGladius
07-08-04, 05:50
To me it didnt' seem as like it was an especially deep mmorpg. Character creation is awesome as far as the costumes. The fighting in the game is fast paced, second probably only to NC as far as not beign able to have a sandwich in one hand and a drink in another.

Overall though, there didn't seem to be as strong a sense of clan/community. That will probably change a bit with the expansion though, as headquarters and pvp is introduced.

Helius
07-08-04, 08:02
[ edited ]

Viper Venom
07-08-04, 09:49
great game one week, good game 2 weeks, ok game 3rd week, boring by the end of the month

40$Poser
07-08-04, 09:53
great game one week, good game 2 weeks, ok game 3rd week, boring by the end of the month

exactly

Might become more interesting and captivate attention spans when City of Villians comes out.

Mumblyfish
07-08-04, 09:55
[ edited ]
Because their staff members pretty much constantly drop hints that they're trying to rip off Neocron, whilst taking out all the "OMFG C4R3B359478R" stuff they don't like, like fun.

Wankers.

Richard Slade
07-08-04, 10:00
Isn't CoH yet another PCC game?
And ye, no tradeskills suck

Original monk
07-08-04, 11:10
i didnt like city of heroes, and the buggers fooled me, i canceled my trail account 1 day to late ffcourse (so dumb of me) so i could pay up 12,5 euros, daamn scammers :/

Barar
07-08-04, 11:24
Im playing it - Its a little bit shallow tbh lots of kill 5 of these - empty this warehouse kill 30 of these rinse repeat

Positives

Very Stable - Unbelievably so tbh
Large player base
Diverse Char Customisation
Lots of choices for power sets
Lot of fun with the right clan

Negatives
No Crafting
No Player economy
No house - you log out in the middle of the street which kinda sucks
Guild management poor
No pvp
Repetitive
Pretty treadmilly less so that daoc etc tho

And the biggie I logged into NC yesterday went to NF after not paying for ages and the adrenaline was pumping in the duels ... Ive not got this from any other RPG yet.

However NC still needs more rp players and less pwned j00 players imo

greendonkeyuk
07-08-04, 12:52
yup and they were some good duels too barar. :) Is CoH on a free trial at the moment then as ive heard/read a fair bit about it and wouldnt mind checking it out for myself. Youve wet my appetite i guess guys.

Barar
07-08-04, 13:07
no its at www.coh.com

if you go on pinnacle server ill show you around

btw just got ut2004 :)

so im rdy to take u and ali and tx on hehe

Freaky Fryd
07-08-04, 13:16
Overall though, there didn't seem to be as strong a sense of clan/community. That will probably change a bit with the expansion though, as headquarters and pvp is introduced.

Just hope CoH doesn't work on the same expansion timeline as KK...
;)

Maarten
07-08-04, 14:02
CoH is a point, click 'n' coffee game. (can't remember who posted that phrase, but I love it)
When you want to kill something, you have to queue your attacks. O_o
And with each attack your chat window is spammed with:

"blablabla attack queued"
"Your blablabla attack did xx points of damage"
"bladiebla did xx damage to you"
"you have healed for xx points"
"blablabla attack queued"
"Your blablabla attack did xx points of damage"

How exciting...

Rude Boi
07-08-04, 14:25
why do people say its bad cos theres no PvP,

Its a Superhero Game, Superheroes protect the city not fight each other,

and trade skilling will be introduced as either one of there FREE mini expansions or with CoV, cos it doesnt seem right for people to b abe to build armour for super heroes.

aswell for the community, alot of people have supergroups (clans) which are very dedicated to stay within a strict theme, and when fighting in a team, choosing the right archetypes is better than just inviting a team of 8 blasters

CoV wont b released to about summer 2005, it hasnt even been out a year so it would b stupid of them to released a addon so early.

The Repetitiveness is there in like groups, when you do missions you are constantly going after the same villians in the missions, and when u get tired and bored of these villians, that story is done and u might get a souviner from it, and by then youve leveled a bit, and so u go to another contact who tells u to go kill another bunch of villains and this happens all the time because u gota be carefull with levels, unlike someother games, u cant kill a enemy which is twice the level of you (unless ur sidekicked and boosted up to the enemies level :P)

it would kinda be stupid as well is the superheroes could buy there powers, but with every 2 levels u get to put slots on your powers, andu can go to special NPC heroes and buy and sell the basic ones, but the rares are very expensive so it may b better for the players to trade with other players

and as for the damage beingg reported in the 2nd chat window, well u can turn off the damage reporting or make the 2nd chat window smaller

Some of the good features of the game are things like the dedication that is given to the game and its players by the creators ( :rolleyes: ) and how quickly bugs and exploits are fixed. And another thing i like about this game alot is that they release "feature updates" which are basicly mini expansions to the game which are free and add alot of new content to the game, ie the 1st one they raised the capping level up 10 levels (i guess its still gona be raised some more eventualy) they added the ability to chnage costumes, and earn a new costumes every tens levels after 20 or sumthing (should of seeen how many people came on and asking where the shops were) and it added a new zone which ties in with the games story line and end of beta and more.

and as foor there 2nd feature update there adding capes (alot of people including my self have wanted these for ages :p)as well as more zones, missions and villians.

Jailbird
07-08-04, 14:47
I played it in Beta and liked it. then I bought it when it got released and played it for mm.. 2 days? then never logged back on :p

I do the same to every mmo I buy since nothing beats NC.

anyways, nice game with the BEST support ive seen in an mmorpg.. it took them 4 hours max to reply to my email even on saturdays and sundays and they had a nice newbie free help system in which you can access through their website i think.

I think KK need to learn from their support :p

Yavin-Jupiter
07-08-04, 15:06
Is there a way to test this game for free?
How can I buy it in Austria?

Rude Boi
07-08-04, 16:48
u have to import it... like i did, and i live in uk :S

Doc Holliday
07-08-04, 16:53
no its at www.coh.com

if you go on pinnacle server ill show you around

btw just got ut2004 :)

so im rdy to take u and ali and tx on hehe

ahem. and me. ok. :) im waiting for matrix online. something about it looks very appealing.

Rude Boi
07-08-04, 16:56
me too, thats why i aint getting bdoy till MxO stops, and thats gona be along time after BDOY goes down for good... wait a min, i wont b getting BDOY :lol: