PDA

View Full Version : Firewall for Dummies

Lexxuk
06-08-04, 18:10
With me being the dummy, what do I put in when it asks..

The local WAN IP address(firewall gateway) should be configured with a static IP address.

Would you like to configure the local WAN IP address now?

Its for my router, and the documentation doesnt say anything about how to use the checkpoint firewall, so I'm pulling whats left of my hair out :(

Is it my ISP Assigned IP address, my DCHP assigned (from router) address or the routers IP address? :confused:

/edit -

Enable IP routing between the LAN and WAN sides of the connection
Enter the remote network address.
Local WAN IP Address: ...
Remote WAN IP Address:

O_o arghhhhh *dies*

Lev
06-08-04, 18:21
With me being the dummy, what do I put in when it asks..

Its for my router, and the documentation doesnt say anything about how to use the checkpoint firewall, so I'm pulling whats left of my hair out :(

Is it my ISP Assigned IP address, my DCHP assigned (from router) address or the routers IP address? :confused:

/edit -

O_o arghhhhh *dies*

Check point safe@office I assume?

in any case the gateway is where you send all traffic that you dont know where it goes (in the safe@offices case all traffic not destined for 192.168.10.X, or 192.168.253.x (DMZ if you bought that option)) So with that in mind you cable modem should have two addresses, one is the IP address your ISP gives you and one is the internal network use the one that is your internal network, if you have a router between the modem and the firewall appliance use the IP address of the inside port (i.e [OUTSIDE]Cable Modem ---- Router ---Firewall---Network [INSIDE]).

hope that clears it up, good luck.

Lexxuk
06-08-04, 18:29
Think so..

Current modem status: ADSL
Connection Name: ADSL
Connected: Yes
Uptime: 0 days 01:26:03
Speed : NA
Local WAN IP Address: *.*.*.*
Remote WAN IP Address: 195.166.*.*

where * is numbers I removed? I want to stick in the Local and the Remote into the settings provided?

Lev
06-08-04, 18:37
Think so..

Current modem status: ADSL
Connection Name: ADSL
Connected: Yes
Uptime: 0 days 01:26:03
Speed : NA
Local WAN IP Address: *.*.*.*
Remote WAN IP Address: 195.166.*.*

where * is numbers I removed? I want to stick in the Local and the Remote into the settings provided?

yeah, i assume your local wan is something like 192.168.*.* or 172.*.*.* or 10.*.*.* (you can say what your full internal network is, it isnt routable to the outside internet (it couldnt possible help someone hack j00)) if thats the case use that address for the gateway option.

Juht
06-08-04, 19:42
The router is asking you to give it an IP inside your LAN. IE it becomes your gateway IP on your PC. Lots of routers come with a default, I'm surprised it is asking for you to set it. In any case, it's common to use 192.168.0.1 as a gateway IP.

I imagine that it has something similar set already if you've connected to the router -- unless you are connected via telnet console or something. It might just be giving you the option to customize it to your needs.

Lexxuk
06-08-04, 19:49
didnt actually work, I had to telnet into the router to turn off the firewall cause IE was locked out of the thing :lol: :lol:

Now I'm actually able to connect to the net again (I decided I hate routers) I'm wonderin "should I turn on the firewall or not"

anyhow, the full details of what it sent...

Local WAN IP Address: (my actual ISP assigned IP address)
Remote WAN IP Address: 195.166.128.11

However, my Routers IP is 192.168.1.0
My computers IP is 192.168.1.1

Juht
06-08-04, 22:05
However, my Routers IP is 192.168.1.0
My computers IP is 192.168.1.1

Unless you're using a 'fancy' routing protocol, you can't use 192.168.1.0 as it is the actual network -- the 0 on the end that is. Most small routers use RIP. It's standard practice to set your router to .1 or to .254 which are the first and last usable IPs for a Class C IP, namely 192.168.1.*. 192.168.1.255 is your broadcast IP, which a host or router would use to send packets to all hosts on that network. Set your router LAN IP to 192.168.1.1 and use any IP in the range of 192.168.1.2-254 for your hosts -- PCs, printers, other network devices.

Local WAN IP Address: (my actual ISP assigned IP address)
Remote WAN IP Address: 195.166.128.11

Unless you are mixing stuff up, that doesn't make sense. Your local IP or LAN gateway IP should be a private address like 192.168.1.1. Your remote IP or WAN IP -- wide area network ie internet -- should be the IP given to you by the ISP, whether it is static 195.166.128.11 or obtained via DHCP by the router.

Lexxuk
07-08-04, 00:08
*coff* aye, I'd got the IP for my router wrong, it is 192.168.1.1 :o only found out when I tried to change my Linux box to statically use 192.168.1.1 and it said "HA n00b!" like Linux tends to do :o

The figures are the figures my router gives me, I just dont know, so I emailed Nokia and said "oi, biatch, gimme information else I'll cry" only, in nicer words :angel: