PDA

View Full Version : Router Prob

Lexxuk
06-08-04, 13:50
Ok, me router arrived today, I stick in my telephone cable for the adsl, and the synch light lights up, so I know that bits fine.

I stick in my Cat5, nothing, nada and zilch, so I pull my hair out in frustration, I stick the Cat5 in slot 1/2 on the router the orange light for 100MB lights up, so I know the network card on the router works.

I plug in my old USB network card (from when I had my laptop) stick the network cable loopback on my puter, and the USB network light lights up green, so I know the network card, the cable and the router are all working.

Only thing I cant do is get the light to light up when I stick the Cat5 into my computer and into the router.

I've manually changed from full duplex to half duplex and that dont have any effect, changed from TBase100 to TBase10 and still no effect.

Only thing I can think of is the cable is the wrong type to connect the router to my computer, but that just seems silly cause it happily connects loopback on the router itself, any ideas?

Konrad McKenzie
06-08-04, 13:55
Is the cable a 'cross over' type? ie the rx and tx lines are crossed over at one end. these cables are used to connect two PC together directly without the need for a hub / switch / router. If thats the case then you will get the symptoms you describe.

Kon

djskum
06-08-04, 13:59
That seems most likely. However if a straight thru or a crossover don't work then ur Ethernet Interface is hosed. I've seen it happen on routers b4.

Dj

NaKoth
06-08-04, 14:01
Deciding which cable to use:

computer to computer -> crossover cable
computer to hub -> straight through cable
hub port to hub port -> crossover cable
hub uplink to hub port -> straight through cable
computer to router uplink -> crossover cable
computer to switch -> straight through cable
computer to cable modem -> crossover cable
cable modem to router -> crossover cable
hub uplink to switch port -> straight through cable

note:
Some hubs share the connection on the Uplink Port with the port next to it.
Some hubs and switches use a switch or button to enable or disable the Uplink Port.
Check your product manual to see how to do this.

Lexxuk
06-08-04, 14:06
its hard to see what the colours are coz there are too many of them, and some are multi coloured, I "think" its a 4 twisted pair whatever that means, from looking on the interweb for (UL) E151955.

Only other thing on it says "STP Cat .5 Cable Master"

Konrad McKenzie
06-08-04, 14:07
its hard to see what the colours are coz there are too many of them, and some are multi coloured, I "think" its a 4 twisted pair whatever that means, from looking on the interweb for (UL) E151955.

Only other thing on it says "STP Cat .5 Cable Master"

Twisted pair = cross over

I win :D

Lexxuk
06-08-04, 14:10
yay, how do I uncross it over? :p just change the wires over?

Konrad McKenzie
06-08-04, 14:12
yay, how do I uncross it over? :p just change the wires over?

Take a squizz here...

http://www.homenethelp.com/web/explain/about-ethernet-crossover.asp

If you feel upto doing it yourself and you have teh toolz then go ahead :)

Kon

NaKoth
06-08-04, 14:14
at the very end of this (http://www.derose.net/steve/guides/wiring/) page is a colored picture how a twisted cable should look like. i.e. hold cable ends in hand and in one of them the first wire is green/white and other ones first cable is orange/white.

Lexxuk
06-08-04, 14:15
ahh, so cut the end off with wirecutters, strip the wire, slot it into the holes the same as on the other end... whats the worst that could happen... now where did i leave my wirecutters.... :confused:

Candaman
06-08-04, 14:18
ahh, so cut the end off with wirecutters, strip the wire, slot it into the holes the same as on the other end... whats the worst that could happen... now where did i leave my wirecutters.... :confused:

anyone that lives near lexx move away i sense a slight router exploision

Lexxuk
06-08-04, 14:30
anyone that lives near lexx move away i sense a slight router exploision

futher away than that, couldnt find wirecutters so usin a saw :angel:

NaKoth
06-08-04, 14:35
futher away than that, couldnt find wirecutters so usin a saw :angel:

Hahaha ... i can image you sawing a wire ... rofl, this thing of yours is going to end up so bad. Hope it goes well, let us know that did u black out half of the city or did it work :)

james_finn
06-08-04, 14:46
:) Phew glad Cornwall is a long way away :D

Delphi

Spermy
06-08-04, 15:00
Took me 3 attempts to make one bloody cable, even then it didn't work, we had ADSL at the uni halls, and the router was connected to a hub, so i think it was crossovers we used.. then Cat5 straights for 'puter to hub action. dunno.

Lexxuk
06-08-04, 15:05
that went badly, them plastic bits are well sealed up, guess its time to buy a new cable, straight thru one aye? :o

Konrad McKenzie
06-08-04, 17:06
that went badly, them plastic bits are well sealed up, guess its time to buy a new cable, straight thru one aye? :o

Oh yeah, you'll be needing a NEW plug and some 'crimpers' to re-wire it :p

Kon

Lexxuk
06-08-04, 17:12
My brother was coming over (I live in the only town in the UK that has no computer shop O_o) so I got him to pick me up a straight thru wire, plugged it in and, I'm using it now :D

few teething troubles (and I cant figure out how to set the firewall up on it) umm, was it me or was the forum down a minute ago?

bloody router >.<

Spermy
06-08-04, 17:13
Took me a while to realise you cant re-crimp with an old plug... Little one use plastic b*stards... grr.

Hmm as an afterthought. b*stards? How dya prononounce that? Basteriskards? :wtf:

Lexxuk
06-08-04, 17:15
umm

ba star stards, so bastarstards or bastards for short :p

Spermy
06-08-04, 17:24
Bas - tards...

Is that like retarded low level code, if so could you have Dostards or qbasictards... Or maybe VB tards? :wtf:

Juht
06-08-04, 19:26
Twisted pair has nothing to do with a cable being wired for straight-through or cross-over. 4 twisted pair just describes the cable itself, namely there are 4 pairs of copper wires twisted together. Each colored pair is twisted, orange, blue, green, brown, and then all 4 are twisted together. The number of twists per unit of length determines how much bandwidth and distance the cable can support. Cat5 and Cat3 both are 4 twisted pair, but Cat5 has more twists per unit of length than Cat3 and therefore is commonly used for 100Mbit ethernet, etc. Cat5e is rated for 1000Mbit ethernet because it is even more twisted than standard Cat5. Cat3 is usually used for short distances and for slower speeds like digital phone networks or similar. Common phone wire is usually 4 pair and isn't twisted.

DonnyJepp
06-08-04, 20:17
Twisted pair = cross over

I win :D

All Cat-5 is twisted pair. It definately doesn't mean it's a crossover cable just because it's twisted pair.

Lexxuk
06-08-04, 20:55
I'm now using Cat 5E, so 5 with an E on the end, or something, maybe I should learn about these things...

nah :p

whifix
06-08-04, 21:13
Cat 5E is just CAT5 rated up to 127MHz I think. What's special about it is you can use it with 1000BASE-T gigabit ethernet for up to 125Megabytes a second transfer speeds on your network.

Lexxuk
06-08-04, 21:15
and it also works with my router/modem which = win! now I just got to get it to work under linux, doesnt seem to like DCHP :( god damn puters, I remember when i were a lad, all we had was a lump of wood and we were happy with it :D

whifix
06-08-04, 21:18
Thats weird that it doesn't work under linux. Is it because linux can't detect your network card?

Lexxuk
06-08-04, 21:28
linux has detected the card, it just doesnt like the dchp from the network, gunna try to manually configure it in a sec, just giving myself a few minutes break from modems, network cards, ifconfig ifup ipconfig telnet tracert ping KOS KSO KOS KOSKOSKOS <not insane, honest :angel: >