PDA

View Full Version : Pitchforks on hold guys - Facts > Daily Mail Asshats

jernau
05-08-04, 11:13
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/08/04/manhunt_murder_claim/

I doubt the morons behind this prole-baiting farce will get what they deserve but it's still nice to see the truth reported properly for once.

Glorfindel
05-08-04, 11:16
Good to read that someone reports the truth, to bad the rest of the media will never report it :rolleyes:

Magic Sausage
05-08-04, 11:18
That is some funny crap... So can Rockstar sue the govt. or the retailers for pulling the game from stores for no reason now... sense the kid that was the murderer didn't even own the game?

Glorfindel
05-08-04, 11:21
We can always hope ;)

Nidhogg
05-08-04, 11:23
I doubt Rockstar are too bothered considering this whole thing caused "Manhunt" to re-enter the charts.

N

jernau
05-08-04, 11:24
That is some funny crap... So can Rockstar sue the govt. or the retailers for pulling the game from stores for no reason now... sense the kid that was the murderer didn't even own the game?I'm willing to bet sales at every shop that didn't pull it went through the roof after it was pulled so probably not as they couldn't show a clear loss of business.

This of, course, is just another reason the whole thing is so stupid.

Noodle
05-08-04, 11:27
i laughed when i saw that thing on the front page of the newspaper with the headline: "COPIED MURDER FROM COMPUTER GAME - game sold freely in Norway"

fucking stupid reporters, when i read the article it says like: his parents and friends said he was completely obsessed with the game, playing it all day. and now they say he didnt even own the game.

HAHAHAHA.

media today = teh loose.

/edit,
and yea, its like with GTA 3, it gives it loads of publicity, and that causes people to want the game.

garyu69
05-08-04, 11:28
Rockstar love this kind of attention it makes their games fly up the charts.

Glorfindel
05-08-04, 11:33
Hehe media writes anything these days just to sell some more numbers. :rolleyes:

garyu69
05-08-04, 11:37
Why don't we all just forward that link to the Newspapers in question.

Spikadelia
05-08-04, 11:45
The Daily Mail has always been a shining paragon of virtue and decency. :rolleyes:

In the 1930s the Mail were supporters of Oswald Mosley and the British Union of Fascists. They wrote an article, Hurrah for the Blackshirts, in January 1934, in which they praised Mosley for his "sound, commonsense, Conservative doctrine", and the paper published articles lamenting the number of German Jews entering Britain as refugees after the rise of ************ism.

Nice to see that the Daily Mail is continuing it's fine traditions of journalism with it's coverage of the gaming industry.

(Hmmmm reads copy of Frankenstein, starts raiding local graveyards and builds his very own Gentank, which goes amok and kills everyone in local village)

Noodle
05-08-04, 11:45
i grabbed the link and went to forward it, but the norwegian paper already posed it themselves, and now they are blaming the british newspaper for flawed information :lol:

(Hmmmm reads copy of Frankenstein, starts raiding local graveyards and builds his very own Gentank, which goes amok and kills everyone in local village)

noooo, they will blame both nc and frankenstein then!

Judge
05-08-04, 14:07
Man... I really dislike the Daily Mail, not only do they over sensationalise everything, but they are also really right wing, I've heard that they almost support the BNP party....

Shadow Dancer
05-08-04, 18:09
fucking stupid reporters, when i read the article it says like: his parents and friends said he was completely obsessed with the game, playing it all day. and now they say he didnt even own the game.

Are you serious? Did his parents and friends really say that?

MrChumble
05-08-04, 18:12
That's so crazy :rolleyes:

I just thought of a way to get NC2 into the shops though...

Possessed
05-08-04, 18:16
Are you serious? Did his parents and friends really say that?

UK retailers Dixons and Game both pulled the title from their stores' shelves last week after the parents of the murdered boy, Stefan Pakeerah, alleged that his murderer, Warren LeBlanc, 17, was "obsessed" by the grisly game and that it had inspired has murderous actions.
Cash`n`Carrion

The victims father dubbed Manhunt "a manual for murder".

It was widely reported by the mainstream press, online and TV media that the game had been found in LeBlanc's bedroom.
I despise sensationalism, 'tis a pity that todays media are such a bunch of blind asshats. Look at the crop of reality TV shows that has exploded :(

[Edit] Weren't the Daily Mail the ones who faked the pics of the british soldiers pissing on iraqi because they heard it happened or somesuch?

Lexxuk
05-08-04, 18:19
I stopped readin newspapers years ago, i just read Dear Deardrie in the Sun, and Jeremy Clarkson on Saturdays, sometimes I'll read Littlejohn, or the sunspots (today was about a nun and a catholic priest who were fined after being caught having sex).

Other than that, I dont bother with news (its too politically motivated expressing the views of the editor tryin to get the people to follow his view).

As for the BNP, they are a populist party, they publish their manifesto based on public opinion, which is caused mostly by the news media who happily say "2 billion illegal immigrants about to come to the UK!" stuff like that, so the BNP can play into that to appeal to mr white van man and his ilk.

/edit @ above - no that was the mirror, its editor has to resign, well ok he was fired :p

Possessed
05-08-04, 18:21
/edit @ above - no that was the mirror, its editor has to resign, well ok he was fired :p
Ahwell, all the tabloids are essentially the same.

[Edit] Another news source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/leicestershire/3538066.stm

MrChumble
05-08-04, 18:23
I was quite impressed by the BBCs coverage, they almost seemed to be at pains to point out that there's no established link between violent video games and real life violence.

Also my daily tipple of choice (http://www.independent.co.uk/) were pretty muted on the whole thing.

It's just another story that reinforced my hatred of all things tabloid.

jernau
05-08-04, 18:36
Are you serious? Did his parents and friends really say that?Yes they did - repeatedly and vocally.

To be fair I don't necessarily blame the parents of the murder victim. They should never have been given such an easy scapegoat during such an ordeal*. Having just lost their son in such a terrible way they would have probably attacked a bowl of porridge if enough people told them it was the porridge's fault.

The only problem I have with his parents is that they clearly ignored the police's opinions and evidence and instead allowed themselves to pursue someone else's unrelated agenda. I hope that their motivation in allowing this was emotional confusion rather than financial greed but knowing human nature I have my doubts.

The really sick thing is the newspapers (primarily the Mail) who have abused the families grief to sell their tablod rag which will in turn make it easier to further hurt the next victims they find with more lies.

/edit : * - And possibly more importantly to them, a scapegoat that didn't involve a connection to drugs and drug debts. Not that there is any evidence their son was in any way connected to such things but most parents worst nightmare is their 14 year old getting involved in drugs so I'm sure they preferred an explanation with less room for doubt.

Magic Sausage
05-08-04, 19:44
i grabbed the link and went to forward it, but the norwegian paper already posed it themselves, and now they are blaming the british newspaper for flawed information :lol:

noooo, they will blame both nc and frankenstein then!
Thats funny...

So news paper A can't write there own stories so they copy news paper B...

Its like that telephone game where to tell someone the secret word... ex. apple and 15 people later its your mother is a flaming ass monkey...

Uh sry we can't do our own investigative reporting.. but hey here is the latest sroty written by someone else in our own words :P

jernau
05-08-04, 19:49
Actually it's common practice for news agencies to share stories especially to foreign publications. It would be rather silly and expensive to put reporters in every country you want to report on.

Generally they pass through an intermediate agency though so it's a bit unusual to blame the original author.

Dirk_Gently
05-08-04, 19:59
it's a bit unusual to blame the original author.

Maybe the chance to have a dig at The Mail was too much to resist.

Marshall1
06-08-04, 00:31
Reacktor

put some blood and gore in neocron
and some really mean grusome stuff
then as soon as another voilent crime happens get your pr guys to say it could of been becuas eof neocron you know lol

jernau
06-08-04, 00:55
Reacktor

put some blood and gore in neocron
and some really mean grusome stuff
then as soon as another voilent crime happens get your pr guys to say it could of been becuas eof neocron you know lol
Seriously unwise in Germany unfortunately from what I understand.

NS_CHROME54
06-08-04, 01:31
props to the police for telling the truth, even when telling a lie would have got them ground in the eyes of the many asshole polititians who, unfortunately, have way too much power than they should.

at least they have the balls to say "he killed this kid because he was fucked up on something real like drugs, not on some political stereotype excuse like a videogame."

the flaw in the mother's argument is this: if you knew that the murderer was supposedly obsessed with the game, and you also knew that he lent the game to your son, and you thought that videogames like that were violence-provoking, WHY THE FUCK DID YOU ALLOW YOUR SON TO HAVE THIS ALLEGEDLY "VIOLENCE INDUCING" GAME IN HIS POSSESSION?

anyway, my 2 cents.

Jonax
06-08-04, 01:48
I doubt Rockstar are too bothered considering this whole thing caused "Manhunt" to re-enter the charts.

That's why I doubt Rockstar would do anything - The newspapers' coverage, especially the Mail, gave the game free advertising, as has been the case in at least some degree for practically every game that Rockstar has made since GTA as DMA Design.

For these concerned members of the media wishing to stop these violent games from being played, they sure are helping a lot of copies fly off the shelves in HMV & Virgin :lol:

Syntax-Error
06-08-04, 03:50
have u seen the advert for one of the papers in england thats says " read a best seller every day" i was like.. oh good more Fiction.

Richard Slade
06-08-04, 03:56
That's so crazy :rolleyes:

I just thought of a way to get NC2 into the shops though...

You are NOT gonna build a metal/concrete bunker, neither are you gonna nuke the whole world, and you're NOT gonna get a plasma cannon or mind control a drone
So consider it a failure

yavimaya
06-08-04, 09:06
That is some funny crap... So can Rockstar sue the govt. or the retailers for pulling the game from stores for no reason now... sense the kid that was the murderer didn't even own the game?

Doubt it, but surely they could sue the father of the victim for calling it "a manual for murder" when he knew damned well it was his son with the game, not neccearilly the murder. After all he probably bought it for him.

And perhaps the TV networks for loss of profits and slander, since they reported wrong and was the reason everyone pulled it from the shelves.

Dirk_Gently
06-08-04, 15:24
An interesting point about the Daily Mail is that the success is down to attracting 20-30 something female readers who traditionally are not large newspaper readers.

Dodgy Facts + Sensationalism + Tabloidy Crap = More Female Readers

............and we let them vote :rolleyes: