PDA

View Full Version : Open BETA vs. TIME

Ghanima
04-08-04, 03:38
After taking a look at the calendar and it seems to me that KK may not have time to do an open BETA. With just 28 days to go until the scheduled release date it doesn’t seem plausible once you factor several items.

1) Code release for production.
2) Production time needed for the retail CDs
3) Packaging of CDs
4) Shipping time to stores and to those existing members that have preordered NC2.
5) Time to wipe the test servers or to setup new ones for NC2.

Unless I’m mistaken and KK runs the BETA past the code release stage or if the release date of September 1st is only for existing members who can download NC2 before a hard copy is released is it possible for an open BETA?

If there isn’t going to be an open BETA when is the NDA going to be lifted so us poor folk who aren’t in the BETA can find out more info about NC2?

When will we find out what the system specs are going to be? Will the computer I have now be able to run NC2? Admittedly my system is way on the low end for NC but I met the systems specs at the time when all other games where beyond my reach.

Any thoughts or info?

Ghanima :angel:

Richard Slade
04-08-04, 09:05
As the dimwit optimist I am...
KK probably just releases NC2 on the net in the first place, and pokes out the CDs after that
OR we're on the way to open beta now the 1st..

Duine
04-08-04, 09:08
OR we're on the way to open beta now the 1st..

Argh hope there's nothing profetic in that comment :/

Dajuda
04-08-04, 09:11
What .. you guys actualy thought it was gonna be out on the 1st? Lol.

garyu69
04-08-04, 11:04
I suppose they could have the game on disc no problem and any little extras added would be added in patches.

SynC_187
04-08-04, 11:59
After taking a look at the calendar and it seems to me that KK may not have time to do an open BETA. With just 28 days to go until the scheduled release date it doesn’t seem plausible once you factor several items.

3) Packaging of CDs
4) Shipping time to stores and to those existing members that have preordered NC2.

Unless I’m mistaken and KK runs the BETA past the code release stage or if the release date of September 1st is only for existing members who can download NC2 before a hard copy is released is it possible for an open BETA?

If there isn’t going to be an open BETA when is the NDA going to be lifted so us poor folk who aren’t in the BETA can find out more info about NC2?

When will we find out what the system specs are going to be? Will the computer I have now be able to run NC2? Admittedly my system is way on the low end for NC but I met the systems specs at the time when all other games where beyond my reach.

Any thoughts or info?

Its a lot to do, but with the right setup it can be done in less than a week to a fairly large market (Europe in NC's case, the rest would have to wait).

As NC isn't going to be huge quantities, being a MMORPG (maybe not the first M). It would be possible, it they were organised enough..... there lies the problem.

Also they can carry on testing while after its gone gold, and while the publishing side is going on they can be working on the first patches.

Genty
04-08-04, 12:16
Why would they do open beta? Did'nt work last time except to bring in a larger amount of tossers that were already here.

manderf
04-08-04, 12:21
they prolly just gonna do have retail be the beta like with original nc. It only went open a couple weeks before it was release i believe(the original i mean)

G.0.D.
04-08-04, 12:23
Mmmm my last attempt to post in this thread seems to not have apeared o.O

1.) PATCHES
2.) The cds are probably already printed
3.) You get the game with an outdated version then refer to point #1

Archeus
04-08-04, 12:25
TBH, who cares. It is in KK's intrest to get a working product out in fastest time possible. Factors being WORKING and FAST.

If it came out on Sept 7th/10th/20th, is your life really that bad that it will destroy everything you hold dear?

Benjie
04-08-04, 12:44
I wouldn't worry about the deadlines. I'm sure KK arn't dumb enough to release it dead on September 1st if it isn't 101% finished.

Candaman
04-08-04, 12:56
I wouldn't worry about the deadlines. I'm sure KK arn't dumb enough to release it dead on September 1st if it isn't 101% finished.

i don't think kk are dumb enough to start off a new release as they finished with nc1 with delays

garyu69
04-08-04, 13:30
I think any delay will push a hell of a lot of people over the top. Unless they have put those people into Beta?

CarniFlex
04-08-04, 14:08
my guess is there will be an extension of a few weeks for open beta for active current accounts, then theyll close it and drag as many as possible into the "pay for play" situation again.

Or they just do a secret beta test, release it to the public and claim its "uber" which it wont be cause it never has been. And by that making people buying it and realising its same shit with more graphics enhanchments... even maybe... timers on the buffs!

cRazy2003
04-08-04, 14:12

3) Packaging of CDs

Any thoughts or info?

they said in the trailer, september 2004, and since KK know is going out to more then the neocron community, thats why they've did that, its pritty obvious it wont come out on september 1st.