PDA

View Full Version : So... advertise much?

-FN-
03-08-04, 22:55
Sorry to display some more 'negativity', but this completely and seriously baffles me. Now, unless this whole "September 1st" thing is secretly planned on being missed already...

Why is it that when I search EB Games (http://www.ebgames.com/), or Gamestop (http://www.gamestop.com/), or Best Buy (http://www.bestbuy.com/)... absolutely nothing comes up for the word 'neocron'. I mean - how exactly do you guys plan on selling NC2? Roadside yardsales? I mean, we are 29 days away from release, and the US's biggest game retailers have no clue what the hell I'm asking for... I have to ask...

A) Do we have a 10T or BigBen Community member yet?

and if so

B) Dude... what on Earth are they waiting for? Shouldn't you be getting pre-order estimates by now? Why does nothing work around here the way it does under so many of the bigger, successful companies o_O I am but a simple gamer, but these 'secret ninja consumer attack' plans seriously confuse me.

However, I did find NC for .99 cents at gamespot (http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/neocron/checkprices.html) :lol: Let's hope NC2 is a game that has a longer shelf-life than NC1.

Also, KK, I liked, what I think is Version #2 (http://www.wowwebdesigns.com/designs/images/neocron_no2.png), of your website better than the first (http://www.wowwebdesigns.com/designs/images/neocron.gif) or the current.

Also also,
http://thenoob.keenspace.com/comics/20040802.jpg

Vampire222
03-08-04, 22:58
totally agree with you... and i also think the old (beta 3/4) website design RULED!

Dirk_Gently
03-08-04, 22:59
Maybe they are secretly planning on missing the deadline but NC2 must absolutely be out by 30th September. Surely the publishers know that.

MrChumble
03-08-04, 23:07
The official release date for "Neocron: Beyond Dome of York" will be the 1st of September 2004. We will have a closed beta test launching significantly earlier, where selected community members will be asked to help us test and improve NC:BDoY.

I suppose that, technically, there is no such thing as "Neocron: Beyond Dome of York" anymore, so this promise could be considered worthless.

Trying to keep the faith. It's kinda hard when advertising and brand awareness seems to be at an all time low.

There could be method to the madness though...why attract people now, when they'll just check these forums and be uninspired by the negativity, or they'll try the free demo and be uninspired by the dead servers and endless trade bitching.

Better perhaps to wait until NC2 is available, then gear up the marketing.

See, there are possible explanations...I'm keeping the faith...just.

joran420
03-08-04, 23:08
WENT TO MMORPG yesterday and there was a really big neocron 2 banner on their front page :/ thats pretty good advert...but yeah they should be talking to suppliers about carrying it(they probably already are)

Cor
03-08-04, 23:10
Yes there needs to be advertising, advertising, advertising. even EQ and SWG advertised on TV. And we all know what kind of advertising CDV did and that was just GREAT wasn't it? Lets hope they don't go that way again.

Vampire222
03-08-04, 23:13
the germans did get a 10 page advertising booklet with their game magazine, with all stuff doy has to offer in it... but well thats pretty much it so far

Jest
03-08-04, 23:16
Yes. Please don't drop the ball with this. As much as we always blame CDV for Neocron 1's more or less lack of success, I think its becoming obvious that they weren't the only one who dropped the ball. Who do I have to smack at Reakktor to get this awesome game some advertising? Sometimes I think that they like being a one horse game...

TheGreatMilenko
03-08-04, 23:27
hahaha that is true they changed the name to neocron 2
so basicly they dont have to keep the promise of DoY coming out Sept. 1st
lol

Jonax
03-08-04, 23:32
lol

I dunno - I can see Beyond Dome of York coming out on Sept 1st, but only as far as imagining a runner called "Beyond Dome of York" coming out of the closet... ;)

[TgR]KILLER
03-08-04, 23:34
lol advertising ? KK can't even give info to their current players (itemwhipes etc ) :/

RayBob
03-08-04, 23:51
Let it go, FN. You write such lengthy and detailed suggestions (as do many other people) on improving the game for people who don't give you the courtesy of a reply. Let it go. BDoY will be what it is and nothing more. Log on after it is released, have whatever fun you can with it and when you're bored…move on. There are literally a dozen or more major releases coming out this fall.

Juht
04-08-04, 00:34
I haven't seen any official word on a US release anyway. Why would they give retailers any info if there is no US release date yet? Why get so worried?

Here's an example... FFXI is made by Square-Enix, a japanese company. FFXI went retail in Japan for a full year before it was released in the US. Did people in the US play before the US release? Yes, many people imported the japanese client. FFXI was retail before US retailers had info on it... Sound familiar?

Reakktor is a german company. It's entirely possible that BDoY will be retail before US retailers know what it is. Will the people around the globe that play Neocron now be able to play BDoY on the german launch? Yes, pre-order it. Will BDoY have a US launch? Depends on a lot of things... Things that might not be determined until after the german launch. Should we be worried that there is no US advertising or US retailers not having a clue what BDoY is? No since no one said that September 1st is the US release date.

I'm not trying to step on anyone's toes, especially FN's, whom I respect very much. All I'm saying is MANY MMO's go retail at home before being launched abroad. While I don't read every post on the forums, I read a lot and I have not seen anything about a US release.

Genty
04-08-04, 00:59
Perhaps they are going for the same release pattern as NC1...Germany first, followed by the rest of Europe, followed by America. Not like every other MMOG releases accross the board on the same day....perhaps this is what will happen here. Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps. (maybe I should stop now before I go into the Coupling Theme song..)

Freaky Fryd
04-08-04, 01:08
Maybe they should offer free months with so many referrals you can make...if they're not going to advertise, they should at least give us credit if we advertise for them...
:p

Someone that runs a good site, that causes 10 people to sign up for a month (or more) of NC should get a month or two of play for free...

Wank3r
04-08-04, 01:09
There has to be some "exclusiveness" in online games such as neocron. Purely for the fact that not ever one is a total noob at the launch of the game!

NeoChick
04-08-04, 01:14
Yes at MMORPG there is a big ad flashing when you go on the site BUT]

when you go further down the page where all upcoming games are listed all you can see is the old Neocron, and Neocron2 is not even listed as an upcoming game or any game. So how slack is that?

Vampire222
04-08-04, 01:19
thing i personally dislike most about this all, is that I, and most others i think, feel there's not enough official commenting on things that bother the comunity, like this, and the possibility of a doy wipe/partial wipe... makes me feel kk doesn't really have any priority keeping the comunity happy pending the release of NC2. which is, ofcourse a sad thing if its true. I really hope Martin or some other official starts the good habit again soon..

..i..DemonX
04-08-04, 04:10
FN ---- there are no Pre Order mails so why there would be anything on any sites?

Slowly i get the feel that BDOY / NC2 wont come 1st September! :mad:

So well i think, we will get fooled like we get so many times be4 ... i only think of that DOY would come out November 2002 or that it will be a free Expansion etc etc etc.

Whitestuff
04-08-04, 06:13
Sorry to display some more 'negativity', but this completely and seriously baffles me. Now, unless this whole "September 1st" thing is secretly planned on being missed already...

Why is it that when I search EB Games (http://www.ebgames.com/), or Gamestop (http://www.gamestop.com/), or Best Buy (http://www.bestbuy.com/)... absolutely nothing comes up for the word 'neocron'. I mean - how exactly do you guys plan on selling NC2? Roadside yardsales? I mean, we are 29 days away from release, and the US's biggest game retailers have no clue what the hell I'm asking for... I have to ask...

http://thenoob.keenspace.com/comics/20040802.jpg

EDIT: My thread, (http://forum.neocron.com/showthread.php?t=104885) if anyone wants to glance at it. How bout we merge them? Sound good to you Niddy?

Hey everybody! Look! An exact copy of my post that I made over a week ago! And KK, listen up . . . ARE YOU READING THIS?! You won't have any American players at all if these three companies have no idea what Neocron is. They all have no idea that NC2 is even coming. How can they take preorders and advertise for you when they don't even know about it?

HEY!!! New publishing company! Get to the job you are supposed to be doing!! Would you like the entire NC community to group you with CDV? That'd be great, wouldn't it?

Duine
04-08-04, 08:07
Some, no any, info coming from KK/or the publishers would be greatly appreciated.

40$Poser
04-08-04, 08:10
things aren't looking good all together. Is it that much to honestly answer a few simple questions from the community? Or are we not that important to KK anymore?

Vid Gamer
04-08-04, 08:16
Agreed.

I had faith in DoY, but as usual it will probably be a great add-on and game (like Neocron), yet the retarded minds at KK won't promote it and server populations will either stay the same or even decrease if there's any wipe.

It's pretty sad 3 weeks before release and NO ONE, I mean NO ONE knows what the hell DoY is...

Lareolan
04-08-04, 08:17
things aren't looking good all together. Is it that much to honestly answer a few simple questions from the community? Or are we not that important to KK anymore?

Anymore? You mean we were important back in the day (but after we started actually paying good money?)

Maxwell Smart
04-08-04, 08:29
Guys!

Look at the basics:

1. KK is a very very small company
2. Their publisher is interested in making money
3. The NC2 client will not be a big seller

What is the logical outcome?

No print ads, some reviews, most distributors will not carry it because its not worth the effort.

Anyone in disagreement?

Vid Gamer
04-08-04, 08:33
I've realised that Maxwell and finally see the light that Neocron will never be a big-name game. Even DoY won't bring in the people, especially with games like MxO, MEO, WoW, EQ2, etc. NC2 is just gonna be forgotten and will be an "underground game" like Neocron is today with a group of hardcore fans still playing.

Duine
04-08-04, 08:34
Guys!

Look at the basics:

1. KK is a very very small company
2. Their publisher is interested in making money
3. The NC2 client will not be a big seller

What is the logical outcome?

No print ads, some reviews, most distributors will not carry it because its not worth the effort.

Anyone in disagreement?

Makes sense.

yavimaya
04-08-04, 08:48
@ -fn-:
for the 8th time lol, Ever heard of "michael schumachers world kart tour"?
Yet another promising DX9 game, published by BigBen and 10Tacel, made by another german company i think. Another game not on ebgames, its been out for a little while now, but not a word of it anywhere.
Dont trust BigBen or 10Tacel to do even a reletivaly good job on NC2..... they should have stayed with CDV, as terrible as they are i bet they would have done 10x the job these retards will do.

Prove me wrong if you can, i dont want to be right, right now.... but im afraid i am. :(

yavimaya
04-08-04, 08:52
lol

You think they are that technically minded?
I dont think that reasoning would have occured to them in 1 million years if not told.

Genty
04-08-04, 12:20
You won't have any American players at all

Maybe thats the plan?......

Kaden
04-08-04, 12:27
You people make me laugh.

"Can we get an official response"
"I demand an official response"
"GIMME TEH FUCKING NFO DEWDS"

On these subjects: Monk dex, beta, item wipe, nc2, repair tool, monk dex, advertising, release, monk dex, repair tool....... oh yeah and item wipe.

Seeing a link here?

Everytime reakktor have come forward and provided information they have been shot down with a torrent of abuse and BS. Why the hell would they?

If you tell somone something and they shout abuse at you, do you wanna give them more? or less info?

Be mature about it for christ sake, you're simply proving everyday why we cant handle info.

ichinin
04-08-04, 12:58
Kaden wrote something close to:
"You want the truth? You cannot handle the truth!"

I can. i want info. About the player shops, How many items i can import into NC2 (Dont care if it's just lvl 3 appartment worth of stuff), how the faction system is going to be etc., any Pure servers (RPG vs wild PKing), fresh servers vs importable player servers, a view on the aircrafts, what transit system is going to be in DoY (like a subway)?

Yes - maby KK dont want to get "shot down" by flamers, but they can mail it to a few people that actually want it, me for instance. I want to know now. I got 2 other VERY addictive games comming this fall (Superpower 2 and Fable) so i gotta plan ahead and see what to buy first. I want to know if NC2 is going to be all that (and a bit more)

In other words; I beta for free - but i dont pay to betatest.

Noodle
04-08-04, 13:17
You people make me laugh.

"Can we get an official response"
"I demand an official response"
"GIMME TEH FUCKING NFO DEWDS"

On these subjects: Monk dex, beta, item wipe, nc2, repair tool, monk dex, advertising, release, monk dex, repair tool....... oh yeah and item wipe.

Seeing a link here?

Everytime reakktor have come forward and provided information they have been shot down with a torrent of abuse and BS. Why the hell would they?

If you tell somone something and they shout abuse at you, do you wanna give them more? or less info?

Be mature about it for christ sake, you're simply proving everyday why we cant handle info.

Because reakktor almost NEVER listens to the players requests. we have had a few incidents where they actually listened. lets go over the topics you listed.

Monk dex, totally impossible to gain, yet it is an important skill, it has been over a month now without a fix.

Item wipe, people have been playing for over 2 years, getting new items all the time, many hours of work will go to waste, but kk wont give us one word on it.

Repair tool, look, an exploit!! instead of fixing it, we will totally deactivate the tool, because it cannot possibly be used by anyone for the right reasons....

If your company decides to fire 100 people (big company :p) and they tell you to deliver the message, do you think those 100 people would be extraordinarily happy, and treat you nice?
Ofc this isnt the same situation, but its all about the type of news they bring. you cannot excpect to get praised up in the sky when you only say the wrong things.

reddog
04-08-04, 14:43
Dunno but how are the supposed to do marketing just check the bigben website and you'll find nada about NC beyond dome of york or NC2. Let alone they do a decent marketing campaign.

Only their german site has a small topic bout it.

http://www.bigbeninteractive.co.uk
http://www.bigben.fr

http://www.bigbeninteractive.de

Strych9
04-08-04, 15:39
I must be getting cynical in my old age.

A week or two ago I posted about how Neocron2 wasnt listed in the "In Development" section of MMORPG.com even though the game was advertised in the banners of that site.

And I was promptly informed that the community doesnt want KK to advertise because the game isnt good enough yet, or some such nonsense.

Glad to see everyone has come to their senses.

Chaos81
04-08-04, 15:47
*sigh*

Maxwell Smart
04-08-04, 21:26
well since there will be no DOY promo 2 speak of - u guys think of quitting?

MrChumble
04-08-04, 22:01
well since there will be no DOY promo 2 speak of - u guys think of quitting?

The only thing that will keep me playing is an influx of new players. I can cope with the bugs and the gameplay issues as they're a minor defect in a great game, but what I hate is logging in and nothing happening.

If there's some pre or post release advertising, if the player numbers go up (a lot), then yeah I'll keep playing.

I don't really want to quit, the game is still good and BDoY promises to be better...but an MMORPG without the MMO or the RPG isn't really worth the money, however much I'd like to play.