PDA

View Full Version : [brainport] Mobbed!

seraphian
03-08-04, 18:55
I know this has been mentioned before in a few other threads, but it's never had a thread of it's own, so here's the idea:

I like the idea of some BIG assed mobs... I mean friggin HUGE 200/200 mobs that can never be soloed, and are indivdually as tough as an entire cave, drop great loot, and give mad XP.

There are several reasons for this:

1: there are so many capped and near-capped players in NC we need new content that can really challange them, the DOY tunnels were a start, but the problem is only tanks, PPUs and APUs can ever really take advantage of them, and only then with PPU support.

2: it gives you something cool to use for promo screenshots/posters/ect.

Huge mobs become something of an emblem for the game they come from: IE Diablo's Diablo, FFVII's Sephiroth, ect. warbots are kind of Neocron's emblem, but they are pretty wimpy comparitively. I'm talking about a mob that looks like what would happen if a mad genetic engineer took Metal Gear Rex, Mephesto (from Diablo) an ancient wurm red dragon (D&D) a nightsister (Star wars) and a dragonfly (neocron) put them together, pumped the resulting unholy offspring full of drugs, made it a mean drunk and gave it PMS...

my ideas:

Warbot commander: One of the ancient command units responsible for commanding DoYs armies. Carries a few Massive cannons and an impressive AoE stack radiation attack that centers on it's base (to keep people from getting too close) thanks to a leaky reactor powering it. it's most formidible power, however is to call for help from any techmob in the sector that was once under it's command (spiderbot sentries and warbots of all types, excluding another commander, if god help you, another one is in the same zone) drops rare parts by the bucket, more high-grade junk than you can shake a stick at and rare (unique?) weapon mods and parts that give bonuses to the item made (experimental WP#xxx?)

Reaper mantis: a large preying mantis-like creature that is a solitary hunter. Her (all hunting mantis are female... males are much smaller IRL) normal prey are the juicy firemobs that coinhabit the canyons and deserts of the wastelands, but she's not above attacking runners if they present an attractive target. She aggs randomly on anything in the sector, stalking it and attacking, so hunting her is a matter of stalker vs stalker as you try to close and engage without being ambushed... makes for actually having to be aware of your environment, mercifully, she usually hunts out an area, so you won't have to contend with other predators, they either fight her and die, or run like hell. She has a moderate-range fire attack and a killer force/pierce close-range attack. if you can keep range on her you're safe, but she runs FAST... I don't know what she'd drop, maybe a rare stealth tool or something, if anyone has a better idea for her drop, post it.

Ceres commando mutant: Driven insane by the unholy combination of mutating drugs and ceres implants, this doom-harbinger on steroids wields twin deadly Judgement Hammer launchers, massive rocket launchers. he wanders the wastes in an insane desire to eliminate all life not like himself. His drops are rare ceres technology and biomedical parts. of course a player could NEVER hope to get his hands on the Hammer lauchers... :angel: never... :D

MC-5 renegade: After a series of tragic lab accidents proved too much, an MC-5 base commander went Awol, taking with him several prototype implant chips, as many guns as he could carry... and a tank. He still carries out a one-man war against the 'failed' runners that he discharged from his facility, he fights initially from his customized Rhino tank, which has been modified with a neutron cannon instead of the normal laser gun. Once that is destroyed he continues the fight on the ground using his MC-5 Power Armor, which mounts a shoulder gatling cannon and uses nerve gas grenades to flus his quarry. Once the power armor is destroyed, he still fights to the death using his COPbot plasma pistol. He drops parts of the MC-5 technology he carries as well as rare combat drugs and other unique CA technology, as well as a datacube journal that contains the inside information on the MC-5 complex. (This is probably my favorite idea, because he does every kind of damage at some point in the battle, requiring either a large and varied team or a few highly skilled and clever players, you can't spec to fight him, you need to be well-rounded)

anyone have any other ideas? feekback? please add.

Just don't spam me please.

ezza
03-08-04, 19:02
the odd one here and there would be ok, however mob hunting bores me.

and the prob is that the ranks only go up to 127/127 so they would have to change that for starters

Mumblyfish
03-08-04, 19:30
It's a totally friggin' stupid way of adding "false difficulty". All these high-level mobs are boring as sin, they aren't truly hard in any way at all, they just have OOOOOH HIGH STATS. It's dull. It's stupid and dull etc etc. How's about instead of making an even MORE boring monster with even MORE hitpoints, have places like the Chaos Caves with loads of weaker enemies, like swarms of them, that every class can join in against. It's harder than standing there and killing a high-level wanker over and over, and having tried it in an event recently, it's much more fun.

So I say no to mobs with higher stats than current. Just a thought.

Disturbed021
03-08-04, 19:30
Adding more mobs are a good idea as long as they increase the AI and make them faster. PvM isn't much of a challenge at all right now, except maybe MC5 and the 120/120 level of the DoY tunnels, but only because you have very little room to breath not because the mobs are that good.

Magic Sausage
03-08-04, 19:49
200/200 mobs sound like so much fun man...

I love your ideas.

KK please take a look at this :D

ichinin
03-08-04, 21:53
Sure, nice. Just make it possible NOT to run and hide in a building and pick em off from there, and make it heal faster than 2-3 people can do so you HAVE to be a big team to take it down.

And Oh, also make mobs appear in different zones during a day.. like wanderin nomads walking north each 3 days, then south again to pick up/sell off stuff at NC.

40$Poser
03-08-04, 21:58
new content is always interesting. Maybe this has been considered with NC2. I know there was mention of new areas in the wastelands and sorts, hopefully something to the extent of this idea was added or is being taken into serious consideration.

seraphian
03-08-04, 22:25
@ above...

I was kind of taking for granted that these would be put in sometime after DoY, hopefully with some AI advances as well... if they gave 'boss mobs' a 'boss AI' IE using tactics, sending underlings in to fight to soften the target, then I think it would be even better... look at the description for the mantis and the warbot commander, their special AI is exactly what makes them so damn hard, well, in addition to the stat/rank boost.

ino
04-08-04, 00:22
The rank might be fixed in bdoy.. I hope to see a 220/220 dragonflybitch from hell a zone or so from the city so noobs have some shit to worry about. And I want the Worms back. the ones that isnt hazard and so on

Wank3r
04-08-04, 01:07
Yes I would like over 120/120 mobs...But...I think that they should be found in specific places, and so powerful that huge zergs of people are needed to take it down :) Perhaps it should contain multiple tech parts or guaranteed drops?

..i..DemonX
04-08-04, 04:16
I whant mobs that cant be killed by 1 PPU & 1 other (no matter of level).
AND NO I NOT WHANT PPU's NERFED!!!!!!!!
I just whant mobs that have a high KI (omg omg i mean a real KI) and have a high dmg output so they realy need a high level group (i mean 6 - 10 ppl) to kill it! And no it not should be able by a group with 6 PPU's and 4 low level nibs!

Realy it should be something that would own ppl even if they PPU buffed! So u only can take it out if ur a Group of high level ppl!