PDA

View Full Version : Controversial Debate... Pt3

Lexxuk
03-08-04, 16:52
Ok, we know which boot loader you prefer, we know which editor (vim forever!) is the prefered choice (ok, if they ever bring Ultraedit to Linux *that* would be the best editor full stop :p), now its time for, which Distro you prefer.

Personally I prefer Mandrake Linux, but that may be due to the fact its one of the few that support my ADSL Modem (Conexant Accessrunner = sux, cant get the drivers to compile under Fedora Core 2 :( ). I think Mandrake is also the fastest of the distros, its compiled with i686 so its designed to run faster than those compiled against i386.

So, whats your favourite flavour of nix, and why?

Capt. Rik
03-08-04, 16:59
woo XP forever. Can't see any reason why i should change

blaczero
03-08-04, 17:03
i have tried noppix, gentoo, mandrake, redhat, suse and a few others and by far my fav is slackware.

no other distro does EXACTLY what you tell it, no more no less. no excess junk you dont want, and logical placing of init scripts / system tools/binarys. also simple package manager, by far the best for servers, the testing team bangs on the releases pretty well.

red hat is t3h s0x0r.

Lexxuk
03-08-04, 17:07
didnt slackware just release 10.0 with kernel 2.6 in /testing and also x.org in /testing ? Fedora uses X.org, Mandrake 10.0 uses XFree, though from what I heard all the distro's are going X.org cause they dont like the new licence that XFree created where they have to give credit or something to XFree.

blaczero
03-08-04, 17:16
yes most, if not all will adopt x.org. main reason was ego, like much of the linux community, people cannot put their differences asside and combine projects.

and ya slack opted to go with 2.4 instead of 2.6 for the time being.

and rik, if there is no reason for you to change then dont, linux is not for the beginner or the un-motivated.

Lexxuk
03-08-04, 17:20
and rik, if there is no reason for you to change then dont, linux is not for the beginner or the un-motivated.

true that, though it is fun to explore and play around with, but there are things on Windows that Linux can't hope to compete with against Windows, like Macromedia Studio is the best webdev environment out there Linux, although it has a few offerings, has nothing anywhere near the level of Dreamweaver for making web pages. It has Star Office, which is comparable a little to Office a few years back, but it does have Mozillia, Firefox and Thunderbird which are nice.

One of my major gripes about Linux though has to be the kernel, its so bloated these days with such useless junk, Linux needs to get away from having drivers as kernel modules and introduce a new way of getting drivers to work, so the linux kernel wont be 40MB and you wont have to wait for an hour whilst make modules makes modules.

Richard Slade
03-08-04, 17:26
Lexxuk not to be like that, but after this, I dunno how many, fifth?
Thread about geez0rz linux and god knows what the rest is,
don't you think you're kinda in the wrong place?

Lexxuk
03-08-04, 17:28

nah, its debatable conversation dude <3 I mean I'm browsin this forum using firefox on Mandrake Linux, others might be doing it on another distro. You also have the crowd that want NC to run on Linux, so Linux is actually sort of popular around here. Its part of the reason why Ive bought a ADSL Router (waitin for it to arrive) so I can install other distro's to play with, without having to worry about getting drivers for my PCI ADSL Modem. :p

ichinin
03-08-04, 17:33
Suse, i use it and Novell bought it. Gonna be big.

Your threads created today are a bit too OT and a bit many, chill for a while on the Linux threads for a while m8.

Hippieman
03-08-04, 17:34

Community Talk (English)Discuss about Neocron, other MMORPGs, movies, community issues and other off topic stuff.

Lexxuk
03-08-04, 17:34
this is the first thread I've created today :p

Novell created the ximian desktop didnt they? replacement to gnome?

Alice
03-08-04, 17:57
Linux? What is that?

;P

I'm a windows whore. Take it or leave it, i'd rather have the occasional screw up and crash, than have a OS that can't run most the stuff i like to use.

Although I will have to use linux this year in OS and Networking module =\