PDA

View Full Version : Solution to "outweigh" FREs?

phunqe
03-08-04, 09:41
I took my post out from another thread and made it a poll, to see what people think.

I've been thinking about the problems concerning FREs lately...

Basically, when the server looses contact with the client, your avatar stills stays in game for like 30 seconds.
This was introduced to prevent people just quitting the client when they were about to be PKed.

Well... is this so much of a problem really? I mean if people want to be cowards, I don't have a problem with it. I would never logout if I got engaged.
To be honest I wouldn't care if anyone else did that either, since it would just prove he/she is to chicken to fight me.

What about just getting the avatar right out when the heartbeat between client and server is lost?
I think the "chicken" factor introduced if some people just logout when engaged would be more than outweighed by the fact that you don't have to worry if you FRE and when you FRE.

What do you think?

Richard Slade
03-08-04, 09:44
kinda change it to like 4-5 seconds. Just about what one might need to survive a grim p and not enough to survive ME
But hey we're going the right way *****
But still we need a few seconds due to the people who'll just log when they're about to lose a fight

Benjie
03-08-04, 09:48
5 seconds would be fine. 30 is way too much imo.

phunqe
03-08-04, 09:49
Yeah a few seconds would be ok.
You should be able to survive the occasional FRE amongst enemies given you don't have like 5 of them all hitting you.

Max Jefferson
03-08-04, 10:04
Although it would be a reasonable workaround, shouldn't the focus be on eliminating the FRE problem? If not that then possibly reducing the restart time of the client and the time it takes to log back in.

athon
03-08-04, 10:09
Firstly, I don't have a major problem with FRE's. That's not to say I don't get them at all, they just aren't annoying enough. If I die - so what - it's only a game.

Secondly, we're only 1 month from BDoY - why not wait to see what BDoY brings before making such major changes - particularly ones like this that will, unfortunately, be abused by players.

Athon Solo

Sorontar
03-08-04, 11:02
You should never have the option of quitting a fight in this method and I believe 30 seconds is fine. Even with this you could stealth , hide and then quit and get away with a bit of luck ( your opponenet loses the cloud etc.)

Sort the FREs out is the solution , not to open up road to exploit city.

phunqe
03-08-04, 11:39
I should have included that this solution should be seen as an intermediate one of course :)

MjukisDjur
03-08-04, 12:05
Mmm yea and when someone comes running to kill you you just pull the plug?
Impossible to implement but it would be good to have some sort of inteligens built in.

shenten
03-08-04, 12:15
Voted other.

Just fix the damn bug in BDOY and not by a shitty work-around.
A real fix , not an ugly patch.
:lol:

LTA
03-08-04, 13:02
Safe Zones/apts log should log you out instantly

Warzones 10 seconds
Anarchy 5 seconds

imo

(Warzones is cuz like peeps will just log if they are fighting in a op war, say ppus and players log get out before they die then relog some moments later and rez or some shit)

SilentEye
03-08-04, 13:18
So if I code a application to turn off my internet for 10 seconds I could log off that way?

So if I see a tank running at me, I know I wont make it, I disconnect and dissapear in 10 seconds, to much exploits attached to this.

athon
03-08-04, 13:35
So if I code a application to turn off my internet for 10 seconds I could log off that way?

So if I see a tank running at me, I know I wont make it, I disconnect and dissapear in 10 seconds, to much exploits attached to this.
Code an application? lol

Hit the reset / power button, or in my case I could just pull my network cable out the switch on my desk.

Athon Solo

Mantiz
03-08-04, 13:54
Code an application? lol

Hit the reset / power button, or in my case I could just pull my network cable out the switch on my desk.

Athon Solo

Or just alt+f4 :p

Lets just wait and see what nc2 has to offer in the FRE field.

notneo
03-08-04, 14:29
even if you pull the plug your avatar stays for 30 secs doesnt it??

Noodle
03-08-04, 14:30
even if you pull the plug your avatar stays for 30 secs doesnt it??

yes, it does. thats the point of this thread.

TheGreatMilenko
03-08-04, 17:22
i vote no this would be abused to badly people could run hide and alt+f4 then be outa harm