PDA

View Full Version : Controversial Debate...

Lexxuk
03-08-04, 02:32
Ok, very controversial subject this..

Lilo or Grub as a boot loader?

Personally I prefer grub, sure /dev/hda6 might be (hd0,5) which dont make sense, but if I compile a kernel, i dont have to run /sbin/lilo which I've done a few times and that sucks cause then your like "ARGHH" all you do is edit /boot/grub/menu.lst and bobs ur great aunt, heck you dont even have to do that, you can just cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz and it takes it from there.

So, debate away, which boot loader is the best :p

Melkior
03-08-04, 02:34
possibly, but you could use the alternative method of using a wellington boot loader....

sanityislost
03-08-04, 02:40
is it classed as spam if i say "eh???"

SiL ..:..

Possessed
03-08-04, 02:45
Isn't Lilo a disney character??

Oh and erm... I'll choose Lilo as the better one... because... it erm... reminds me of a Disney char!"1!11!2!1121

DigestiveBiscui
03-08-04, 02:46
I R the best boot loadz0r

Lexxuk
03-08-04, 02:47
Probably, so no spamming! Boot loaders are a serious subject don't you know! I mean, look at the difference between lilo.conf and menu.lst..

# File generated by DrakX/drakboot
# WARNING: do not forget to run lilo after modifying this file

boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
default="linux"
keytable=/boot/uk.klt
prompt
nowarn
timeout=100
message=/boot/message
menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw
image=/boot/vmlinuz
label="linux"
root=/dev/hda6
initrd=/boot/initrd.img
append="devfs=mount acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda5 splash=silent"
vga=788
read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz
label="linux-nonfb"
root=/dev/hda6
initrd=/boot/initrd.img
append="devfs=mount acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda5"
read-only
other=/dev/hda1
label="windows"
table=/dev/hda
other=/dev/fd0
label="floppy"
unsafe

timeout 10
color black/cyan yellow/cyan
default 0

title Windows XP Professional
root (hd0,0)
chainloader +1

title My Linux
kernel (hd0,5)/boot/custom root=/dev/hda6 devfs=mount acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda5 splash=silent
vga=788

title Linux Mandrake
kernel (hd0,5)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda6 devfs=mount acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda5 splash=silent vga=788
initrd (hd0,5)/boot/initrd.img

title floppy
root (fd0)
chainloader +1

As you can see, grub is much easier to understand!

Duder
03-08-04, 02:48
go mac not micro$hit ok

Lexxuk
03-08-04, 02:51
go mac not micro$hit ok

You mean Linux for PPC? Mandrake do one of them, but I dont have a mac, and, Linux really isnt a Microsoft thing you strange person <3

seraphian
03-08-04, 04:03
you know I'm a pretty hardcore geek...

But I have been so outgeeked it's not even funny, not even segueing from a discussion of of the realisim of Star Trek physics into debating the merits of the various types of Internet protocols (with numerous obscure RFC references of course) could save me ubergeek ego now...

YOU'VE RUINIED ME!!

DAMN YOUR L33T G33K SKILZ LEXXUK!!!

Drexel
03-08-04, 04:09
Can I remind you this is the English forum, coz I cant understand a fucken word. :confused:

Mantiz
03-08-04, 08:01
Can I remind you this is the English forum, coz I cant understand a fucken word. :confused:

I don't see any "Community Talk (Geek)", do you ? :)

Juht
03-08-04, 08:16
I don't see any "Community Talk (Geek)", do you ? :)
Hahaha... awesome. :D

Anyway, Lexxuk, honestly do you think this is really debatable? I think that with boot loaders, it comes down to personal preference. Use what suits you, since, in the end, both will do the same thing. It's just getting there that's up to you. :)

WebShock
03-08-04, 09:32
:/

post count whores

why not take this to a linux dev forum. What does this possibly have to do with a gaming community?

Granted its open chat but you are so out in the woods, who can debate this?

I understood with this being a game forum, community chat its open chat where gamers can relate. I dont relate to your linux technobabble.

ichinin
03-08-04, 09:48
Lilo or Grub as a boot loader?

Whatever works for the purpose.

Lilo can even boot from a filesystem only install on FAT partitions too.

djskum
03-08-04, 14:28
LILO baby! Ah yeah!

DjSKum

PS Your really getting into Linux Lex ;-) If you get the opportunity have a look at Mac OS 10.3. Its BSD based but alot of fun if you like workig off the CMD line. Also shoehorning general *nix apps onto it can be a real challenge!

PPS @ Webshock, don't read it if you don't like it, we're not all Ludites. I see nothing wrong with this thread. Its nice to know who in the community knows what. Ergo, builds a closer community.

Cubico
03-08-04, 14:39
Its nice to know who in the community knows what. Ergo,
builds a closer community.

Yeah, I would like to know how old people are, that could help to give them better replies.

Possessed
03-08-04, 14:46
Yeah, I would like to know how old people are, that could help to give them better replies.
What does age have to do with it?

age != maturity... if that's what you meant :wtf:

ichinin
03-08-04, 14:57
Lilo can even boot from a filesystem only install on FAT partitions too.

Wrong, was thinking about Loadlin

blaczero
03-08-04, 15:10
lilo = 00b4h

1. the make install runs lilo
2. the 2 files you compared have different amount options, and you dont need that many params in lilo. not to mention your params are just on the same line in grub

[edit]

forgot to add, everyone has an MBR, the 3rd option should have been "I dont have a boot loader you idiot"

Lexxuk
03-08-04, 15:37
Wrong, was thinking about Loadlin

Couple of years back I installed suse but I couldnt install lilo onto my mbr for some reason I cant remembe, so I had to make a autoexec.bat that would load either Windows or loadlin for linux, that was fun :D

2. the 2 files you compared have different amount options, and you dont need that many params in lilo. not to mention your params are just on the same line in grub

They are pretty much exactly the same, but grub does have one advantage over lilo.

If I accidently delete my ext3 partition and reboot, lilo gets stuck at the boot record so I need a boot disk to get back into widows, with grub, it gives you a bash type interface at boot, so i can type..

root (hd0,0
makeactive
chainloader +1
boot

and it will boot into windows :D its really kewl like that.

Also every system has a bootloader, its just some dont do multiboot, though it is possible to configure windows boot.ini to load up Linux as an option :D

blaczero
03-08-04, 15:47
sorry ill take the REAL device name (/dev/hda1) over the hd0,5 junk any day... and after looking again at the 2 files they look much the same, just grub has the options on one line is all.

and you can bugger your partitions in lilo and pass new param's like root=/dev/hda2 rw or such.

ino
03-08-04, 16:02
Use whatever you understand the best :). I've always used Lilo as bootloader, and the running of lilo isnt that annoying after 9 years of kernel compilation :) you can always make an alias for the standard kernel compilation

alias thekern="make dep (if you use 2.4 or 2.0, 2.2 and so on/ 2.6 dep isnt nessecary anymore); make bzImage ; make modules ; make modules_install ; mv /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage /wherever you want the damn thing ; cp /usr/src/System.map /wherever you put the kern ; /sbin/lilo -v"

if you dont use bash.. offcourse you use bash if you dont go read the man page for the shell about how to declare aliases.

edit. forgot some things :)

And to all the what has this shiat to do with a gaming community. I've seen loads of topics about this and that insert windows problem/question arround. This just like that but it isnt Windows but *nix.