PDA

View Full Version : OT - XP Pro problems

superfresh
01-08-04, 19:57
OK...I had XP Home and switched to XP Pro. It worked once (got into Windows after installing, etc..). Now my system reboots itself during startup, whenever I get to the XP Pro splash/loading screen. Looks like its loading and then restarts.

Any suggestions?

trigger hurt
01-08-04, 20:15
OK...I had XP Home and switched to XP Pro. It worked once (got into Windows after installing, etc..). Now my system reboots itself during startup, whenever I get to the XP Pro splash/loading screen. Looks like its loading and then restarts.

Any suggestions?
Make sure you are running the latest hotfixes and upgraded to SP 1. sasser worm doesnt take long to find you, and that's what this sounds like.

superfresh
01-08-04, 20:36
Aye, according to some Google searches I've done, this is a pretty hot problem that might have a couple of resolutions but I'm not having any luck;

I think Sasser actually allows you to get into your OS, and then reboots after a bit. My system reboots during the OS load.

It also looks like a lot of people are having this problem after running a Windows update after installing XP Pro. I was running fine until I did the update.

Others think it has to do with hardware / XP Pro compatibility.

I really have no idea. :(

Rixeh
01-08-04, 21:05
Have you tried booting with the network cable unplugged? ;) It probably won't solve anything but it's a shot. More likely XP has a bad driver somewhere that says "Critical Error, gotta reboot before I break something". 8| Is it possible for you to back up your files and do a fully clean install? (Gotta love windows)

Mantiz
01-08-04, 21:08
Next time you get the shutdown counter do this:

Start --> run
write "shutdown -a"

It will cancle the shutdown countdown which should buy you enough time to do some research :)

Richard Slade
01-08-04, 21:26
That is very much Sasser
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=76C6DE7E-1B6B-4FC3-90D4-9FA42D14CC17&displaylang=en

superfresh
02-08-04, 18:29
That is very much Sasser
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=76C6DE7E-1B6B-4FC3-90D4-9FA42D14CC17&displaylang=en

Hmm. But I'm not even getting into Windows. :/

Juht
02-08-04, 23:18
Can you boot to safe mode? If no, read my post (http://forum.neocron.com/showthread.php?t=105247) on how to fix the Windows bootloader and see if you can boot to windows or safemode.

Did you (a) install WinXP Pro over WinXP Home or (b) format/install? If (a), format/install.

Did you connect to the internet when it worked the first time? If yes, Did you have any protection? (Updates/AV/Firewall)

Did you install drivers when it worked the first time? If yes, did you boot to safemode and uninstall them?

Archeus
02-08-04, 23:56
When it says windows is starting up press F8,

Try the "boot from last good.." option.

If that fails, then try safe mode. Although I'd do boot with logging first, and then read the log in safe mode (or command line mode). It could be a driver playing up.

superfresh
03-08-04, 01:14
...yeah, it does the same thing with safe mode and the "last known..." option.

I took the expensive way out and bought another hard drive (250 Gig) :)

Thankfully Neocron still runs after copying the directory over.

Thanks for all the help through :angel: