PDA

View Full Version : X.Org or XFree86

Lexxuk
31-07-04, 20:57
Just finished compiling my own linux build, got everything installed, bash, gcc, perl, glib-c blah blah [insert geeky stuff here, but only if it turns you on :D] compiled my own kernel [WAKE UP!!], buggered up on the bootloaded cause root (hd0, 0) is NTFS and of course, there is no NTFS support in the kernel from my install disc (build your own Linux :p) so my bootloaders a bit bust till I can figure out how to get it to work :p

Anyhow, once I get the bootloader running (after the Jackie Chan movie thats on in like 5 minutes, erk, better type fast), I'll need to install an X Server, before it was easy choice, either XFree86 or XFree86, now there is a fork with X.org, so which X Server should I compile and install? (I'm using a NVidia so the drivers for that work on both X.org and XFree86).

Comments, guesses, general hear say on X and which one I should install?

Oh, and which Window Manager, I been using KDE mostly cause its easy, but I really want another WM that I can get total customisation for, something like IceWM maybe?

Oh, final question, when I've got the bootloader up and running, I want to compress the entire contents of /dev/hda5 (where my base is installed) anyone know the command (bzip2 gunzip tar, any of the above) to compress totally the entire structure so I can just copy it over to /dev/hdb so I dont have to spend months recomiling if I totally mess up installin X?

W00t jackie chan, bbiab :D

Richard Slade
31-07-04, 20:59
Yup, install DOS (yes, only works there)
Prefered is the 3.2 version
Type 'format c:'
'y'
'y'
'y'

No it will be compressed so much that you can't even find it!
Isn't that sweet stuff?

Lexxuk
31-07-04, 22:39
DOS? O_o blergh, no Linux guru's anywhere these days :p

Richard Slade
31-07-04, 22:41
DOS? O_o blergh, no Linux guru's anywhere these days :p
That's exactly what I am so now bow for me and follow my word, heathen

Lexxuk
31-07-04, 22:45
I cant, i use XP so dont have real DOS any longer, and it would refuse to format drive C cause the system is on it :p

Omnituens
31-07-04, 22:49
This can only mean trouble... (http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/?t=archives&date=2002-12-04)

This isn't the OS you're looking for...

Lexxuk
31-07-04, 23:00
man, that makes me feel like a geek :(

Rixeh
31-07-04, 23:06
Use XFree86. XF86Config is your config file maker thingy. Some distros like Gentoo include XF86Cfg which is a graphical config, it autodetects alot of your hardware. You may still have to edit the config and add some lines to get your mousewheel working...

(under the mouse device heading)
Assuming you use Ps2 mouse, change your device from "PS2" to "IMPS/2"
Add this line: Option ZAxisMapping "4 5"

If you use a USB mouse, test to see if it works at the console by typing cat /dev/mouse and move it around.

Then compile your favorite window manager on top of X. I use KDE, some people like gnome, some like FluxBox or BlackBox which is a VERY scaled-down version of the above. (No start menu, you right-click to display a list of stuff to do.)

Linux rules. Too bad it doesnt have a ton of game support. Well, Doom3 will be out soon enough.

EDIT: OOPS, right. About copying. You can bzip the whole drive if you want, its just a matter of adding the -R (recurisve) flag. There's also a few others you need to use to maintain ownership and attributes, I can't remember which off the top of my head...

Again, if you use Gentoo, and your drives are both hooked up, look at the RSYNC command. It can ghost the 2 drives so they're exactly the same. Again, try checking the manual for a howto.

Lexxuk
31-07-04, 23:23
cool, recursive bzip?

What is the bonus in using xfree over x.org? from what i heard somewhere x.org were working on some nice things and Fedora 2 uses X.org, whilst Mandrake 10.0 uses XFree.

You just reminded me of something i can do though, do you know if Gentoo has NTFS support built into the kernel, if it does i can download that, burn it to CD then chroot to my linux box to finish setting grub up.

Rixeh
31-07-04, 23:33
Actually, the 2.6 kernel (not distro-specific) has NTFS read and write support now, it's pretty slick. (Plus you can just magically add in extra stuff, and it doesn't need to re-compile the whole kernel from the start like 2.4 did.) Kernel 2.4 does have NTFS read, as well as experimental write support. Nnot sure about the status of that one, I'm iffy about anything labelled Experimental -- though I never had problems.

Lexxuk
31-07-04, 23:36
I've compiled in support for NTFS with my systems kernel, but the CD I booted in on doesnt have NTFS turned on, so I cant mount it, which means grub cant write to the MBR, so its one of them catch 22 things, unless I install it on dev/hda5 then use Windows boot.ini creativly somehow, i know its possible using Lilo to boot Linux with XP's boot manager, hmm, maybe the boot manager and loadlin?

Jonax
31-07-04, 23:38
This can only mean trouble... (http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/?t=archives&date=2002-12-04)

This isn't the OS you're looking for...

None of them are perfect... (http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/images/comics/20031226.jpg) :D

Rixeh
31-07-04, 23:43
<blink> I have no idea what the hell you're tryin to do lexx ;) Boot cd's usually only have a minimal set of stuff, like ext3/reiserfs/vfat..

Ooh just had a brainwave. Do you have a knoppix disc? (www.knoppix.org) It's a self-configuring distro that runs totally from the CD, hella cool cause it's got a ton of stuff you might be able to use..

Lexxuk
31-07-04, 23:51
Ok, what I'm doing, in plain English...

Firstly I have my ext3 @ /dev/hda5, its 50gb
got my swap @ /dev/hda6, thats just over a gig

The CD I have boots a basic linux distro, really basic, got just the compilation tooks, like make, gcc etc..

Firstly I mount /dev/hda5 /mnt/linux

Compile some of the basic stuff statically to /mnt/linux which will give me a basic platform to continue on later, thats its compiling everything again only dynamically,

quick chroot /mnt/linux

then compile the kernel, install the modules, set up grub, reboot and I'm into a brand new linux compiled specifically for my system, so its the fastest it can possibly be (its not generic). I'm currently stuck at the gettin the bootloader to install onto the MBR of /dev/hda1 cause its NTFS and Grub can mount it cause the boot cd's kernel doesnt have NTFS enabled by default.

/edit - found a bootable 2mb cdrom that apparently supports ntfs, hopefully i can use that to get grub grubby :D

to the non linux geeks out there - pr0n <3

Rixeh
01-08-04, 02:31
OH!! :) You can put grub onto the MBR of that disk easy, the filesystem of /hda1 doesn't matter since the MBR is actually placed before the start of any partitions. Give this sucka a shot (make sure /boot is properly mounted too, or it won't stick);

#> grub
grub> root (hd0)
grub> setup (hd0,0)
grub> exit

#> nano -w /boot/grub/grub.conf (ie: edit this file, I use nano for a text editor)
default 0
timeout 15

title=Linux
root (hd0,4) (Change the 4 to whatever your /boot partition is)
kernel=/bzImage root=/dev/hda6 (Change /bzImage to whatever your Kernel file is)

title=Windows XP
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1

Save grub.conf, exit, unmount /boot, reboot and cross your fingers. Grub should now be installed on your MBR. GOOD LUCK MY YOUNG PADAWAN. :cool:

Lexxuk
01-08-04, 02:35
i been tryin that all night :(

I do
grub> root (hd0)
setup (hd0,0)
somethin about device or file or somethin.

I've not got /boot as a partition though

hda1 is XP, hda5 is ext3 n hda6 is swap, tried to install lilo n that didnt go to well, currently downloading knoppix to see if that can help, but arghh its makin me pull my hair out :-/

/edit - nm, fixed it now, just gotta get grub to use my menu, gah, bloomin linux hehehe :o

trigger hurt
01-08-04, 06:43
Just finished compiling my own linux build, got everything installed, bash, gcc, perl, glib-c blah blah [insert geeky stuff here, but only if it turns you on :D] compiled my own kernel [WAKE UP!!], buggered up on the bootloaded cause root (hd0, 0) is NTFS and of course, there is no NTFS support in the kernel from my install disc (build your own Linux :p) so my bootloaders a bit bust till I can figure out how to get it to work :p

Anyhow, once I get the bootloader running (after the Jackie Chan movie thats on in like 5 minutes, erk, better type fast), I'll need to install an X Server, before it was easy choice, either XFree86 or XFree86, now there is a fork with X.org, so which X Server should I compile and install? (I'm using a NVidia so the drivers for that work on both X.org and XFree86).

Comments, guesses, general hear say on X and which one I should install?

Oh, and which Window Manager, I been using KDE mostly cause its easy, but I really want another WM that I can get total customisation for, something like IceWM maybe?

Oh, final question, when I've got the bootloader up and running, I want to compress the entire contents of /dev/hda5 (where my base is installed) anyone know the command (bzip2 gunzip tar, any of the above) to compress totally the entire structure so I can just copy it over to /dev/hdb so I dont have to spend months recomiling if I totally mess up installin X?

W00t jackie chan, bbiab :D
xwindows is for girly men!

Anyway, i've always been pretty partial to Gnome or Blackbox.

Archeus
01-08-04, 08:50
Linux rules. Too bad it doesnt have a ton of game support. Well, Doom3 will be out soon enough.

http://www.linuxgames.com/

http://www.transgaming.com/
(list of windows games you can play)
http://www.transgaming.com/dogamesearch.php?order=working&showall=1

The problem is a lot of the new games use starforce which causes problems (amoung other things).

Lexxuk
01-08-04, 14:03
I got Unreal2004 on DVD, its got both the Windows and Linux versions on it.. i just need to get my Linux box up and running properly before i can use it :confused:

Androth
01-08-04, 18:48
Fluxbox (http://www.fluxbox.org/) Is all a real man needs :D btw Kdesk and its lil Kapps and its Ksuck makes me wanna Kkill the Kdevelopers K now. o_O Kpuke...

Omnituens
01-08-04, 19:36
None of them are perfect... (http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/images/comics/20031226.jpg) :D
Some are the spawn of Satan (http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/?t=archives&date=2004-07-14)

Lexxuk
01-08-04, 22:30
Fluxbox (http://www.fluxbox.org/) Is all a real man needs :D btw Kdesk and its lil Kapps and its Ksuck makes me wanna Kkill the Kdevelopers K now. o_O Kpuke...

just checked that site and omg..

http://www.fluxbox.org/images/shots-dev/s3phiroth_fluxbox.jpg

That is one sexy desktop :D

Omnituens
01-08-04, 22:41
damn, that is a nice bg....

Lexxuk
01-08-04, 22:43
aye, and if you look on the right hand side, the media player looks like its part of the desktop itself, it looks totally mint, just gotta find if it needs XFree or X.org :lol:

ino
01-08-04, 23:52
Xorg and Xfree86 is atm kind of the same thing. Xorg spawned because XFree86 started to use some wierd licens model many ppl in the free *nix community disliked. Xorg probably will go past Xfree soon with better support and ideas. I do think both X servers loads the same graphical drivers so the nvidia kernel module will load appropriate.

Your grub question sounds pretty wierd tho :) MBR isnt atall connected to wheter or not you can read your winow partitions or not. mbr is a separate part of the drive where boot information is stored. Lilo or grub dont give a shit about what is actually on the drives as long as they know the pointer to where it should start the boot process. Im no grub fan so cant help you with the config options in there.

Window manager :) always a sweet thing to ask ppl about. Check out.

enlightenment, gnome, kde, blackbox, fluxbox, openbox, 3dwm, icewm, fvmw95, olwm and a shit load of others pick one you think you will enjoy, never mind the goodies on most of the screenshots cause everything is possible to get running on whatever window manager you choose with a little bit of effort.

edit. Oh and I havent found a window manager that wont run on both X servers :) So the thing is it doesnt matter wich one you choose. both are maintaned and will probably be maintained for quite some time.

Lexxuk
02-08-04, 00:10
I'm having uber fun with Linux now, tried to install X yesterday, and got thrown up with "install this that and the other" so I tried to install this, it said "install that" so I installed that and it still said "install that" so I said "OMFG KOS KOS KOS!! BIATCH OMFG KOS!" or something, then figured out I needed to do a ./configure --with-freetype-config=/DIR which i did and then it configured alright, till I got to X.org (decided on that one :p) and I did a make World > World.log 2>&1 or something and that seemed to go on alright, till it came to installing and it threw up more errors :(

Anyhow, I then stuck in my mandrake boot disk, cut the partition to 25gb each, installed mandrake, then recompiled my linux at the same time, so I can just chroot thru mandrake to get stuff done, and if it doesnt work, I can use internet with Mandrake to figure out whats up and sort it.

I need a hobby :(

Androth
02-08-04, 00:22
The only thing wrong with that setup is the damn xchat... I prefer bitchx in a transparent aterm.. Sexy Sexy that way. Other than that seph's setup is sex, pure and simple... Mandrake is ok, and not to downgrade your struggle, but look into Slackware (http://www.slackware.com/) It's one of the few unmodified kernels your gunna find in a major distro. And you can install as much or as little as you like. Damn close to your own distro without having mysterious /dev/null death and odd network problems that the "build your own linux" crowd have. Good luck m8, wish more people would convert to linux, this “m$ ownz teh world” bullshit is annoying as hell :D OMFG M4 iZ KOS!!! hehehe

Lexxuk
02-08-04, 00:38
Yeah, I like BitchX coz its got the coolest name for a IRC client evar! Though I did read about some security problem with it recently, hope thats been quickly patched up.

ino
02-08-04, 07:35
If I where you I'd go for irssi instead of bitchx. Bitchx is for the leet kiddies who atleast before ran linux to brag and to use tadaa bitcx :).

Rixeh
02-08-04, 11:11
The first MMOG that has a linux client will do great. ;) There's a TON of requests on Transgaming's website to make their WineX software compatible with Worlds of Warcraft, so we'll see. WineX isn't THAT great, alot of shit doesnt work even though their webpage says it does...

ino
02-08-04, 12:49
Instead of using the WineX game developers should just make linux binaries for their games :) Don release 2 different copies cause there will for sure sell alot more windows versions than Linux, but put the linux binaries and maby even osx binaries on the universal cd.

There are some really linux friendly game developers but not enough :(. Id Software, epic games, raven and so on. and I dont think they make it linux available so they can earn more money. Games runs just as good under linux as they do in Windows so it aint no preformance issue.