PDA

View Full Version : [OT] Adventure games ?

Barar
31-07-04, 12:04
Im looking for a decent game :)

Been playing a bit of poker, ultracool pool both highly recommend but Im after a decent adventure game ..

Was thinking maybe Silent Hill 3 ? Anyone know whats out atm, whats decent ?

Is something like Final Fantasy out for PC ? I like lvling adventure games and dont mind about the setting ? Not a massive fan of Max Payne tho I might get deus ex 2 ?

Any thoughts would be sweeeet :)

Valmur
31-07-04, 12:06
FF7 and 8 have been released for PC, I highly recommend. Then you can buy FF9 and use an emulator (ePSXe, works like 100%). For the older FF's, get the original cartridges and use a SNES emulator!

Heh.

ichinin
31-07-04, 12:07
If you can stand older graphics i recommend Fallout, Deus Ex and the not-so-old Morrowind.

Valmur
31-07-04, 12:09
Fallout's graphics never die.. The whole series were 101% perfect. Highly recommended (after FF)

Barar
31-07-04, 12:18
Might look to final fantasy as it was well received and I kinda missed out on it not having a ps :mad:

Anyone played Deus ex2 ? Ive a gf3 750 ram 2k xp so Im thinking might not run so well ..

.... <Starts googling Fallout>

Valmur
31-07-04, 12:21
Mmm don't know Deus Exes that well..

www.epsxe.com , runs your all PS games.

Barar
31-07-04, 12:26
Cheers Val Ill have alook at that - always wanted to play Tekken Tag on my PC :)

Final Fantasys not been very well received seemingly I might o with Deus, Fallout .. Morrowind I didnt enjoy tho Never Winter was great - always the add ons .. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

ichinin
31-07-04, 12:52
Deus Ex is a linear but open ended game (last bits), was quite entertaining and the "solve a problem in 5 different ways" was possible alot of times. Even combat was optional; Shoot them or Tranqulise them, or Stealth past them.

Deus ex 2.. hm.. played that for maby 5 hours then got bored. Looked and felt too much like a console game. (No, did not dl the patch)

Lethys
31-07-04, 12:55
I would recommend also using an emulator for FF7 and FF8, as the PC conversions are awful. The PC version of FF8 in particular is one of the worst ports in gaming history.

Benjie
31-07-04, 12:56
http://www.tentakelvilla.de/mi1/monkey.jpg

Barar
31-07-04, 12:57
Ive played deus 1 and was enjoyable so thought deus 2 might be good ( lets face it it was up there with HL2 for hyping ) then it got released and seemed to be a wet fart but thought might be worth a try.. sounds like not :)

Barar
31-07-04, 12:59
Yeah Ive played all Monkey Islands, Leisure suit Larrys - starring Lexx :) and most of the lucas adventures - Dig, Doy Sam and Max etc

What about Mysth ? Or that pure puzzle orientated ?

Agent L
31-07-04, 12:59
Hmm, are you asking about adventures or rpgs? If adv, try "The Longest Journey" or "Syberia". Pure adventure, almost no action : D

Lethys
31-07-04, 13:00
DE2 quite frankly wasn't worthy of its name.

Genty
31-07-04, 13:09
Beneath A Steal Sky. Check that out. It Rocks :D

Barar
31-07-04, 13:12
Hmm prob have some combat in

Not Hitman, Max Payne FPS type of combat

NWN I could deal with as has strong story and combat

This fallout seems decent

Ive not heard of your two <google .. >

r0ti0n
31-07-04, 13:12
Syberia was sooooooo crappy... :p

I prefer the FF series because that was like my first game besides Zelda. o_O

Richard Slade
31-07-04, 13:17
Grim Fandango, period

Sundiver
31-07-04, 15:42
Try No One Lives Forever 2 - I am playing it right now and loving it. Play.com sell it at £4.99 these days.. a steal for one excellent game with great humour!

Grim Fandango is cheap as well these days, recommended.

Agent L
31-07-04, 20:18
oh, yeah, Grim Fandago, bit old but still a must-have.

And how could I forgot about Beneath a Steel Sky, a classic from 1994, now for free (http://www.gamershell.com/news_BBeneathaSteelSkyBFreewa.shtml) : )

Organics
01-08-04, 01:32
oh, yeah, Grim Fandago, bit old but still a must-have.

And how could I forgot about Beneath a Steel Sky, a classic from 1994, now for free (http://www.gamershell.com/news_BBeneathaSteelSkyBFreewa.shtml) : )

Omg. :O Beneath A Steel Sky for free???? WOO HOO! I remember trying to play this game on my Amiga... :mad: All 15 disks worth of it!! LOLOL :lol:

Dam that's fucking cool, best news since Chaos got released into Public Domain.

(edit: bah none of the mirror links work :( .. FUCK)

(edit: lol finally got it downloading via a USA link after all the european / UK links fucked up.. o_O )

sanityislost
01-08-04, 03:13
erm...Get pacman its an adventure where you try to find the lil sperm balls
and eat ghosts when your high on sperm balls

SiL ..:..

rob444
01-08-04, 03:18
Sierra's Kings quest, owns totally, it's next after Monkey Island.

Rade
01-08-04, 03:20
onoz now I wanna play monkey island 1 again *sniff*

ichinin
01-08-04, 03:21
Remember some game called BAT 2 (Binary Astral Troubleshooter, Amiga).. looked quite ok. Also tested some demo of another amiga adventure game that had something similar to the Processor window.. was a top down 2d.. quite dark futuristic thing too.

rob444
01-08-04, 03:22
There is also the old Goblins games, it was a some sort of thinking-adventure game with great humor.

landofcake
01-08-04, 03:52
If you haven't played System Shock 2 yet ... go and get it ... NOW !!!

Please ... it's the best single player game i've ever played i reckon ...

so go and get it !!!

NOW !!!

Please

Rade
01-08-04, 13:43
Imo SS1 was better than SS2.. because it has cyberspace. *sniff* give us
hacknet already!

Birkoff
01-08-04, 13:47
"rented" deus ex 2 b4 going to buy it and it was far from worth it, its nothing on the first one which is blatantly the best game ever :). The RPOS is horrible the linear of it is horrible the 1 ammo is horrible.. no skilltre... eww there was nothing i liked about it TBH.

Icewindale 2
Neverwinternights
Farcry
Morrowwind
SWG :)

Benjie
01-08-04, 14:13
Icewindale 2
Neverwinternights
Farcry
Morrowwind
SWG :)
Icewind Dale was febbing fantastic (new word), but Icewind Dale 2 had more bollox than Bulldogs (it sux).
Neverwinter Nights has a slightly crappy single player campagin, but the online content and community really makes it a must. Not to mention Adam Millers (Dreamcatcher modules) DEMON (http://nwvault.ign.com/Files/modules/data/1091283681000.shtml) module has just been released. (currently on the front page of http://nwvault.ign.com with screenshots)
Farcry is a damn FPS, and an overated one at that.
Morrowind is incredible, but make sure your character has lots of Athletics!!! :p
Starwars Galexies may be crap, but KotOR is actually a decent game. I reccomend it.

There is also the old Goblins games, it was a some sort of thinking-adventure game with great humor.
AAaAaAaaaaaaaAAaAAAaaaaAaAaAAaaAaAGHhHHhHhHHhHHhhh!!!!!

*Head Explodes*

// Edit.

Download the Jade Empire trailer for Xbox. I know not everybody owns one, but it's by Bioware (KotOR, NWN, etc) and it looks fantastic!
Fable is also coming out on the Xbox, and that looks incredible. In that game you start off young, and age as you live. For example, if you spend a lot of time in the shadows then people won't trust you. You will never tan, and you might even develop an evil posture if you commit to evil deeds. If you run about a lot, then you will naturally develop muscle on your character. It goes on, that game is going to be great when it arrives.

rob444
01-08-04, 14:55
AAaAaAaaaaaaaAAaAAAaaaaAaAaAAaaAaAGHhHHhHhHHhHHhhh!!!!!

*Head Explodes*

What, what's wrong with Goblins? :)

Benjie
01-08-04, 15:02
What, what's wrong with Goblins? :)
Nothing. My head exploded from Nostalgia!

rob444
01-08-04, 15:03
Haha ok. Goblins owns :p

Organics
01-08-04, 15:43
Download the Jade Empire trailer for Xbox. I know not everybody owns one, but it's by Bioware (KotOR, NWN, etc) and it looks fantastic!

Hehe, I almost got thrown off Bioware boards for flaming them because they weren't releasing Jade Empire on the PC too. Bastard sell outs.

Told them I could see this "Xbox exclusive shit" was going to be a running trend, and man did I get yelled out. Lol. :lol:

Anyway, NWN original campaign is boring and pathetically easy with a Monk. Come to think of it, so is the 1st expansion Shadows of Undrentide (not to mention that one was fucking awful, seemed very amateurish and too easy). Hordes of the Underdark IS good, but again, the Monk is so overpowered you can breeze through it with barely a scratch.

Doc Holliday
01-08-04, 20:45
fallout cant run on windows xp or 2k. i have tried to install it. barar mate try looking in game or hmv or somewhere. most hmv stores are carrying all 3 as a set fallout 1 2 and tactics which isnt actually that bad.

Barar
01-08-04, 20:48
Hia Doc

Yeah Game had Fallout 1, expansion and fallout 2 boxed set .. They had no bloody box tho just the CDs ... Grrrr walked out shop without anything

Hmm Back to City of Heroes for a bit <puts on flame retardant clothing>

Sundiver
01-08-04, 23:33
fallout ca t run on windows xp or 2k. i have tried to install it. barar mate try looking in game or hmv or somewhere. most hmv stores are carrying all 3 as a set fallout 1 2 and tactics which isnt actually that bad.
Yes it can run on XP or 2K. You just have to copy the data folder and some other files, and change the cfg file settings a bit. Do a search on win2k installation for Fallout, because I just erased the readme html file earlier today :( (sorry). I played it just fine on my Win2k system, only I get a bug at vault 15 every single time, no matter whether I re-install the game. So it's left to gather dust.

rob444
01-08-04, 23:56
How about patching the game? ;)

Organics
02-08-04, 00:35
How about patching the game? ;)

Patch doesn't really help at all.

In fact in some cases it was known to crash the game before the original error did!

Oddly there were problems with Fallout and Fallout 2 patches as well.

It would be nice if patching were the answer in most cases, but it isn't.

Lareolan
02-08-04, 01:22
How come everyone is forgetting Planescape: Torment? THE best D&D game on PC EVER! Awesome graphics, story, voice acting (Hell, they got John Delancie doing a voice!)

Try it, you'll love it! :P

Organics
02-08-04, 01:32
How come everyone is forgetting Planescape: Torment? THE best D&D game on PC EVER! Awesome graphics, story, voice acting (Hell, they got John Delancie doing a voice!)

Try it, you'll love it! :P

Oh yeah, that's good too. Currently going through it. For some reason though I just don't find it as interesting as the Baldur's Gate games.

Voices are great though, especially Morte's! :D :lol:

Ozzon
02-08-04, 01:38
Blade Runner
Nomad Soul (action-adventure)
Beyond Good & Evil (action-adventure)

these are my favs.

Rade
02-08-04, 02:14
Oh damnit now I gotta dig up planescape: torment again.

Oh, another kickass game is shadowrun for genesis/megadrive. You can dl it
and an emulator in like 9 seconds flat and its all pwn, especially if you are
into cyberpunk.. it has cyberspace! :D

Organics
02-08-04, 02:27
Oh damnit now I gotta dig up planescape: torment again.

Oh, another kickass game is shadowrun for genesis/megadrive. You can dl it
and an emulator in like 9 seconds flat and its all pwn, especially if you are
into cyberpunk.. it has cyberspace! :D

I never played shadowrun but I always hear it mentioned. Oddly though I've heard two sides, some people completely hate it and say it's fucking awful. And the other says it's brilliant. I've heard equal amounts of both :confused:

Rade, got an emulator link for megadrive / games?

Rade
02-08-04, 03:44
I never played shadowrun but I always hear it mentioned. Oddly though I've heard two sides, some people completely hate it and say it's fucking awful. And the other says it's brilliant. I've heard equal amounts of both :confused:

Rade, got an emulator link for megadrive / games?

Gens (emulator) (http://gens.consolemul.com/downloads.shtml)

Shadowrun rom (http://www.coolrom.com/genesisroms4.php)

Sundiver
02-08-04, 20:40
OMG! Bladerunner, HOW could I forget Bladerunner! It had not the best graphics, but was a very special game that gave you that feeling of being part of the Bladerunner universe. It still is very playable, and I suggest you pick it up if you find it in the nice price bin, really! Great, great music and atmosphere! You aren't Harrison Ford, but you get to use some cool stuff and talk to cool people :)

tiikeri
02-08-04, 22:15
http://www.tentakelvilla.de/mi1/monkey.jpg

The mother of all uber adventure games :)

I <3 all Monkey Islands..