PDA

View Full Version : [OT] New Vid

[TgR]KILLER
31-07-04, 11:42
yer another one.. so like i want people's reviews on the geforce 5xxxx series.. and the newest cards the nvid 6800 and the x800 from radeon.

i realy gonna play a shitload of games on them. so not just nc. atm i got installed.

Neocron, UT2004, UT, NFSU, Gta vice city, Sof 2, Far Cry, Mafia, Warcraft 3, JORT mp demo.

and a few other things i can't find that fast :p but i got a Geforce TI 4200 64 mb and with farcry i already gotta play most settings on low and just a 800x600 ress or else it starts lagging like hell.. on nc i still got 50ish to 90ish fps but gues thats more the proc then.. i always had geforce cards and realy would like another geforce since i know they always dit good. but the new 6800 takes up 2 slots in my comp due the HUGE size of the cooler.. and they need 2 power connectors.. and the x800 just needs 1.. its not that i don't have the connectors got a 460 watt psu from ennermax. and it got a shitload of power outlets ( 8 or 9 can't remember ) but already got a shitload of stuff like fans etc connected to them :angel: now those don't take that much.. like a fan just takes 1.5 watt but i oced my proc to. and i realy don't wanna run out of power :p nvid first said you needed a 480 watt psu. then they turned it back to 350 watt course on a normal pc you din't need that much watt.. but whats a normal pc then ? :/

anyway.. to repeat the question if you lost it by now :p what card you think would be the best ? geforce 5xxx ( cheapest :angel: ) or the 6800 or x800

full specs of my system are in the link under the sig. gonna be new kingston 2x256 mb pc 3200 ram in there when i upgrade the vid to btw.

Ryuben
31-07-04, 11:48
;)

http://www.aria.co.uk/productinfocomm.asp?ID=15264&SpecialStatus=1

numb
31-07-04, 12:38
I'm going for an upgrade soon. It's likely to be the 6800, I'd like to see some Doom3 benchmarks on it first though although I get the impression from all I've read that they will be high.

Check : http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/index.html for side by side benchmarks on various graphics cards against various games.

[TgR]KILLER
31-07-04, 12:49
yea i know the benchmarks cause i got a mag next to me with a x800 / 6800 benchmark.. but i'm more interested in how it realy works. and what it does need for the power. and the 6800 is like big with that double slot takeup.. so it would be like heavy to.. and my case has no screws to put cards into a fixed pos :X

Nvidia
31-07-04, 13:07
Killer, bud.

Go with a BFG OC 6800 GT.

One power connector, only uses one slot.

The BFG one is rumored to be almost clockable to 6800 Ultra speeds.

400 bucks from BFG's site, which can be found at www.bfgtech.com.

By the way... the 6800 GT (midline card) outperformed the X800 XT PE (high-end) on Doom 3 benchmarks. :)

http://www2.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjQy

And to give you a little more information on the card if you want it, read this article:

http://www.hothardware.com/viewarticle.cfm?articleid=546

Celt
31-07-04, 14:05
Go for a 6800 GT

Richard Slade
31-07-04, 14:06
Radeon might be good cards
That still doesn't change the fact that 90% of all games atm are supported by...
That's right, Geforce,
Have a GF and enjoy your life

[TgR]KILLER
31-07-04, 15:01
i never oc :angel:

ok i do.. got a leadtek vid atm.. if you watch the side in the sig you can see it in my comp.. it has a HUGE cooler just begging to be stressed and oced :p so its not totaly running its base speeds no more.. gues thats why its still holding on pretty good.

anyway.. thanks very much nvid :) doing your name a honour lol..
the GT looks good indeed.. and like as i bought a TI4200 and not the highest card before.. i don't think buying the highest card available does anything more atm then give you pimp rights and a emty wallet..

but the GT looks good with just 1 power connector and 1 slot usage.. and my pc aint that cramped with hardware.. just a few extra fans and 2 lights but thats pretty much it.. with just 2 HD's and a burner and a dvd player it should work..

and i know nvid > ati.. thats why i always liked nvid more always bought them.. but that new card in the review i got looks HUGE.. but also is a Ultra version tho..

so.. watching around in the online shop i pretty much buy EVERYTHING.. got my full pc from there exept the vid atm..

i found 2 cards..

the AOpen 6800GT-DV
http://www6.alternate.nl/prodpic/450x450/j/jage11.jpg

and the Club3D 6800GT Retail

http://www6.alternate.nl/prodpic/200x200/j/jagu82.jpg

lowest card is 10 euro more expencive.. both have the same speeds and stuff.. both need just 1 slot. and just need 1 connector..

imho the AOpen card is the best.. the store has another GT but thats even more expencive.. its MSI tho.. but there aint a delivery date set.. they don't know when they get shipped.. and these 2 cards should be in within the week.. in my pc that is :x

so place your bets :)

Xizor
31-07-04, 15:44
I don't know if you mind noise, if you do. You should probably check out this article: http://www.hardwaretidende.dk/hard/artikel/04/07/16/0697798 It's in danish but you should be able to make out the noise lvls anyway.
btw. 2,7 sone (= 40 dB(A)) they say that everything above 2,7 sone was making noticeable noise and above 4 sone the noise got directly unpleasent.
They sum up in the end that there does not seem to be any Geforce cards of the new line which has an acceptable noise level.

ATI just released information that they are working on OpenGL optimizations (including Doom3).

In the end of the day going for X800Pro or Geforce 6800GT..well..Some games you will run a little worse and some you will run a little better. It's not like you're going to lag in Doom3, You'll be running 1600x1200 with high settings on these cards if you have a good pc.

I would personally go for the cheapest X800Pro/6800GT you can get, or try to look for a X800Pro with 16 pipelines. I've heard that you can softmod a X800Pro VIVO card into a 16 pipeline card, so you might wanna try that.

[TgR]KILLER
31-07-04, 15:51
yea i know you can mod some cards to get more pipelines been there for the old range of cards to..

but like noise... :lol: check the pics in my sig and count the coolers :p normaly they aint running full power tho.. can controll them that is cool.. but like.. its 32 degree's outside.. a little hotter inside. and my proc is 50c doing nothing more then brouwsing.. gets around 54 when playing nc..

all coolers running max atm.. so i doubt very much the vid card would make that much of a dif.. i'm pretty much used to it.. comp is on all day / night.. and with this weather i got 2 normal ventilators next to my bed making noise to do i don't even hear it that much.. but with the info nvid gave me.. about the 1 slot and 1 connector.. i think i'll go for the 6800 gt

** edit just watched that link you gave.. both cards are the highest cards as far as i can see on the pics.. and thats a geforce 6800 U (ultra) it needs 2 slots in the comp cause its HUGE ass cooler.. so wouldn't be supprised if that thing is making alot of that noise.

[TgR]KILLER
31-07-04, 16:31
well its trough.. aopen was cheaper and had a way bigger cooler then the other one.. so just orderd..

2 Kingston DIMM 256 MB
1 AOpen GeForce 6800GT-DV

Morpheous
31-07-04, 16:55
The Radeon X800 scored 98% higher in several benchmarks than a 6800 Ultra.

This is because NVidia suck, and not many games are built around NV- NV just advertise in them. ATI is ValvE's preferred vendor for HL2, not for the money but because it's soo much faster.

Edit: Get Corsair XMS Ram, fool :p

shodanjr_gr
31-07-04, 16:56
Dont use Doom 3 as a way to measure 3d card performance.

Doom 3 was designed from the ground up to provide optimum support for Geforce cards. Does it seem reasonable to you that the 6800 outperforms the X800XTPE?? Thats why doom 3 will probably have the N-Vidia logo on the back cover...

Anyone wana bet that a radeon 7500 will outperform the 6800 in Half life 2? :p

PS: Ati cards generally perform better in Direct 3d games while Nvidia ones do better with OpenGl. To my knowledge the largest number of windows games is written using direct 3d.

PS: While talking about coolers u cant beat my HTPC (EZ-Buddie I4-1 by ECS) :) X800 Pro inside and a celeron 2.1 ghz (yeah its gota be upgraded, i know). When playing games, max temperatures are 60/60 (cpu/system) while its at least 30 degrees outside, and the system is TOTALy silent (2 fans in total, 1 for system+cpu cooling via heatpipes, and 1 on the X800 :) )

Ownage.

[TgR]KILLER
31-07-04, 18:49
i can keep my system below 60 when i put all 3 system fans on slow.. but for what reason ? 2 normal ventilators are making more noice anyway.. and got the radio on or playing a game and 5.1 sound > all noice from fans ^^

always had a geforce and it always dit its job so going for that again.. and like 10 fps more or less don't matter realy.. if the game runs good it runs good. but with like farcry i had to put everything on lowest or else it would have comp lag already and that sucks.

@ morph.. for the price of 512 Corsair ram i can get almost 2 gb of kingston.. money aint growing on my back..

in total.. i gonna spend around 1200 euro's on my comp this year joy :p

almost a total new system tho.. started building it in jan cause when i got back from my cristmass holiday the old comp din't want to boot @ all :p it always was on.. had to turn it off for holiday and wouldn't boot.. but when i had to reboot it always took me a few hours to get going anyway.. mobo was fucked :(

Agent L
31-07-04, 20:12
I don't like X800 just for the fact it doesn't support shaders v3.0 - which are brought in by 6800.
So ATi is holding advance of technology in games = teh evil.
(same applies to shaders 2.0 - ATi has no low-end card with DX9 support, like FX5200. afaik lowest ATi with DX9 is 9600)

[D]est
31-07-04, 20:27
KILLER']and they need 2 power connectors.. and the x800 just needs 1..

2 PSU's ?? Lol, I thought not, you need a PSU of atleast 480 watt with a free cable directy from your PSU. That goes into the 2 connectors on the GFX card.

But I could be wrong o_O O_o

BUt the FX5900 Ultra is a good choice, If you ask me. They get good results in the benchmarks and dont cost that much as 6800 and you dont need a new PSU!

alig
31-07-04, 20:30
Well owning a Sapphire X800pro id say buy a 6800GT and stay well away from the GF5 series. If you really dont want to spend that much cash then settle with a standard 128mb GF6800 which is great bang for your buck.

Im not saying the X800pro is a bad card...it works wonders but it just does'nt cut it next to the 6800GT even though it costs more money. Dont buy a 6800Ultra...they are'nt that much faster than the GT and the GT is a very good overclocker as is the X800pro, ive overclocked my x800pro from its stock speeds to 550/500 zero artifacts for about 40 minutes on ATItool. I turned it back down though because it was brand new and id never overclocked a card before and didnt wanna smoke it. Anyway, you need at least a AMD64 to not have bottleneck or intel equivalent for this x800pro...ive only got a 2600+ XP at 2.3ghz (so like 3200+ XP) and i can tell it bottlenecks badly.

Oh also the GF5 series are DX9 and if you wanna play HL2 with DX9 effects then you wont buy one because Valve have already said they take a MASSIVE impact in HL2 for some reason with DX9 enabled.

2 PSU's ?? Lol, I thought not, you need a PSU of atleast 480 watt with a free cable directy from your PSU. That goes into the 2 connectors on the GFX card.

The 6800Ultra needs 2 molex connectors...it doesnt require even close to a 480W psu...that was a rumour before they even came out, it requires a decent quality 350W like the X800's do.

I hate it when people put down 6800ultras because it requires 2 molex connectors. If you can afford a £400 graphics card im sure you will already have a decent PSU and decent PSU's come with plenty of molex connectors...my Thermaltake 480W silentpure-power is powering around 16 - 20 molex required components in my PC like a breeze.

shodanjr_gr
31-07-04, 20:44
I don't like X800 just for the fact it doesn't support shaders v3.0 - which are brought in by 6800.
So ATi is holding advance of technology in games = teh evil.

By the time you get any decent number of games needing pixel shader 3 support, i doubt that any of the current generation cards will be able to cope with it...

(same applies to shaders 2.0 - ATi has no low-end card with DX9 support, like FX5200. afaik lowest ATi with DX9 is 9600)

Yeah but the FX5200 performs like total crap in any dx 9 game, and in comparison with the R9200, it also performs like shit in dx8 games.

Furthermore a R9600 doesnt cost THAT much more than a fx5200 (about 40-50 bucks i recon).

[D]est
31-07-04, 20:52
Yeah but the FX5200 performs like total crap in any dx 9 game, and in comparison with the R9200, it also performs like shit in dx8 games.

The FX5200 is like the MX of the GF5series... So yes there shit, but they're very cheap :wtf:
Not that I would buy one :lol: I have had a GF2 MX 400 tho (pretty populair card at that time)

Have a GF4 4400 Deluxe from Asus now, with a nice big copper heatsink!
Going to buy a new one, in the near future :angel:

Richard Slade
31-07-04, 20:55

Never had a single problem with my 5200
Even when I had it in my 450mhz it ran UT2k4 and those high end games without any problems, on pretty good graph settings too
You do that with them crappy Radeon stuff...

[TgR]KILLER
31-07-04, 21:01
est']2 PSU's ?? Lol, I thought not, you need a PSU of atleast 480 watt with a free cable directy from your PSU. That goes into the 2 connectors on the GFX card.

hmm.. think it was pretty clear i said it need 2 connectors :p like alig said molex connectors.. not 2 Psu's lol

and the GT only needs 1 molex.. only the Ultra needs 2 afaik..

i just got a AMD 2200+ tho.. and atm pc 2100 ddr.. but the AMD runs @ a 2800+ speed pretty much and with my new 6800 GT is gonna go pc 3200 ddr.. my comp is pretty much from januari this year.. some bits are older some are newer.. but like i never realy bought the newest stuff available.. it was almost the cheapest proc back then could overcloak it like mad anyway.. and the AMD 64 was going over the counter for almost 8 times as much cash as this proc was..

with the new ram and vid in my comp i aint gonna upgrade for another year at least.. the TI4200 almost dit its job 2 years now.. and that was/is the lowest card on the geforce 4 series ( mine is even the 64mb version ) still runs pretty much all games good even UT2k4 with everything on high runs without major lag or stuff. so now the card gets replaced and aint planning on replacing it for another 2/3 years.

**edit. don't start flaming over the radeon / nvid things now. post opinions don't flame eachother for them ty :angel:

*** edit nr. 2
2500 posts yay :angel: :D

Psycho_Soldier
31-07-04, 21:28
By the time you get any decent number of games needing pixel shader 3 support, i doubt that any of the current generation cards will be able to cope with it...

HL2 I am sure will support PS 3.0 and that itself will be uprading for because of all the mods.

[D]est
31-07-04, 21:33
I just got a AMD 64bit 3000+ for some weeks now, it runs pretty good ^^

[TgR]KILLER
31-07-04, 21:34
HL2 I am sure will support PS 3.0 and that itself will be uprading for because of all the mods.

true.. game makers use newest technologies asap when they are available.. so games supporting 3.0 versions on the 6800 cards will be out soon..

but there is a difference between supporting and needing ;) i'm sure half the things the newest games nowadays give aint suported by my geforce 4. heck pretty much all games nowadays run on a geforce 2.. just won't look as good :) meh my geforce 4 doesn't even run @ 8x lol just 4x.. and 64 mb ram.. going to 256 mb now and 8x.. and memory clockrate is doubled.. and core clock is going way up to.. and thats when its running base speeds..

shodanjr_gr
31-07-04, 21:34
Never had a single problem with my 5200
Even when I had it in my 450mhz it ran UT2k4 and those high end games without any problems, on pretty good graph settings too
You do that with them crappy Radeon stuff...
Yes i do that, and far better.

And i cant see you running UT2K4 on that machine except if you define "pretty good graph settings" as 640x480 with every single detail setting in super duper ultra low....

Up to now, all games except far cry (which with the latest patch got ps 3.0, due to the N-Vidia funding of course) use PS 1.0.

And Half Life 2 uses PS 2.0 . And mods wont upgrade the pixel shader version because afaik mods do not change the graphics engine of the game.

rob444
31-07-04, 21:37
They are both excellent cards, I choosed X800 XT PE. Why? Because the card "dominates" on higher resolutions compared to the new nvidia card. The nvidia card might be better in lower resolutions but I dont see why you would want to have over 60 fps since the eye can only see around 60 frames per second anyway. So I felt it was more reasonable to be able to play in highest resolution with highest settings with the best performance.

X800 requires a 350 watt PSU

Richard Slade
31-07-04, 21:59
Yes i do that, and far better.

And i cant see you running UT2K4 on that machine except if you define "pretty good graph settings" as 640x480 with every single detail setting in super duper ultra low....

Try 800x600 everything on medium ^^ Cheers dude you lose

[TgR]KILLER
31-07-04, 22:13
i run all my games in 1024/768 atm.. and gues i'll keep doing that.. reason ?

my 17" monitor is damn old :p don't even know how old.. my grandfather saw it at some company it was on the scrap heap pretty much since they all upgraded to tft monitors.. so he brought this old crt home with him.. and he called me up if i wanted it ^^ since i only had a 14" till then i jumped a hole in the air and drove over to pick it up.. works like a dream tho.

and like if you run games in a ub3r high res like 1600 or some even at lower you can't see shit cause its all so small :)

alig
01-08-04, 00:13
They are both excellent cards, I choosed X800 XT PE. Why? Because the card "dominates" on higher resolutions compared to the new nvidia card. The nvidia card might be better in lower resolutions but I dont see why you would want to have over 60 fps since the eye can only see around 60 frames per second anyway. So I felt it was more reasonable to be able to play in highest resolution with highest settings with the best performance.

X800 requires a 350 watt PSU

Yeah ice but then when you want to even attempt at playing doom3 with any AA on with that card you'll get unplayable frame rates. :p The 6800ultra is better than the x800XT overall. It might not get as high frame rates in all games as the XT does but then there are games that the XT doesnt get as high as the ultra in....and...then...there...is....doom3 :p which im sure a hell of alot of games from now onwards will use that engine as its a Carmack engine ;) and the XT cant even beat the GT in that. Not to mention the nvidia's are far more advanced in technology which means they will last longer and the image quality is equal now between the two..its all about bang for your buck now and as the GT is the cheapest of them all its obvious why its pretty much sold out throughout the world.

If i could send this god damn X800pro back and get full refund i would...i wish my patience didnt overcome me in the first place.

[TgR]KILLER
01-08-04, 00:28
patience what is that ? :p

was updating my whole system like 2 months ago.. coolers, stealting drives, window and those things new cooler on the cpu.. but cash flew hard on that.. so desided to wait till holiday / after holiday before getting a new vid and new ram.. so this morning i said gonna order them today :p posted this thread here and as soon the 6800 GT looked like a winnar i bought it :p arriving by the end of the week ( next friday ) i hope.. the card had 3/5 days waiting on it.. ram was in stock tho but gues they send them both at the same time hehe.. unless the vid gonna take longer.

alig
01-08-04, 00:40
Id be surprised if your card ships any time soon, especially the 6800GT of all of them :p its probably the most demanded card of them all and we all know nvidia and ati are being tits atm making 1 card per day or something daft.

Maybe if its a less well known branded card it might be easier to get ahold of but if i was gunna get a 6800GT id definately wait and get a Gainward one, the one that comes overclocked standard with its warranty simply because they are specially selected cards they have as they have to be able to be overclocked with stabilty if they are selling it to you. Its not good if it smokes after a couple months :p

rob444
01-08-04, 03:26
Yeah ice but then when you want to even attempt at playing doom3 with any AA on with that card you'll get unplayable frame rates. :p The 6800ultra is better than the x800XT overall. It might not get as high frame rates in all games as the XT does but then there are games that the XT doesnt get as high as the ultra in....and...then...there...is....doom3 :p which im sure a hell of alot of games from now onwards will use that engine as its a Carmack engine ;) and the XT cant even beat the GT in that.

Doom 3 is optimized for the nvidia cards, what did you expect?
Just as Half-Life 2 is optimized for ATI cards.

Besides, ATI is reworking their drivers for Doom 3.

Tupac
01-08-04, 08:37
ok from best to worst brands that make the 6800 gt please state ur brands e.g innovision, leadtek etc as im not entirely sure who make the good and the bad :(

[TgR]KILLER
01-08-04, 10:40
leadtec always owned imho.. making nice cards. esp my leadtec i got atm.. got a HUGE cooler on it.. so could oc it pretty easy ( check sig for a pic.. should see the cooler in the case )

and if you check the post of me in this thread with the 2 pictures.. imho you can see what card is better.. 1 has such a small cooler it doesn't even cover the memory on the card..

MjukisDjur
01-08-04, 11:46
Dont make decsion on the doom benchmark though.
ATI havent got working opengl drivers so all cards look like crap.
That will change very soon or the ati boss will fire his dev staff :P
Trying out the Ati X800 XT (pci express) and im very happy about the speed.
To bad Neocron does run at a single fps higher :P

alig
01-08-04, 20:57
Doom 3 is optimized for the nvidia cards, what did you expect?
Just as Half-Life 2 is optimized for ATI cards.

Besides, ATI is reworking their drivers for Doom 3.

Doom3 isnt optimized for nvidia. GF6 series was optimized for Doom3 but the only thing it has optimized for doom3 is stencil shadowing or something.

HL2 isnt optimized for ati either..thats just marketing...Valve said the 9800XT runs better than the 5950ultra but have'nt said nothing about how well the 6800 does on it. The day games start getting screwed over just to please one boat is the day i go back to playing my ps2.

ATI said that there new openGL driver update is as good or even better than nvidia in doom3 ...but why would they say its worse. The 4.8 cats (beta) are out now that have this supposed openGL update and im pretty sure they wont overtake nvidia's openGL path with a few pieces of code. The nvidia's are naturally better, they are designed better. Id be surprised if the difference in HL2 is any more different that it is now between the two cards on current games (1 - 5 fps difference).

rob444
01-08-04, 23:10
It's not cards that is being optimized for games, it's the other way around.