PDA

View Full Version : [Showdown] The Secret of Monkey Island -vs- Halflife

Benjie
30-07-04, 18:42
Both heavyweight contenders, one a vintage classic, the other a more modern rival. Vote your favoraite! Who wins? Guybrush Threepwood or Gordon Freeman?

El_MUERkO
30-07-04, 18:53
I loved the secret of monkey Island, it was a work of art, but half life was a revolution in gaming.

Jock Rockwell
30-07-04, 18:56
I loved the secret of monkey Island, it was a work of art, but half life was a revolution in gaming.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

Both games are superb, but HL was ground breaking imo.

Benjie
30-07-04, 18:58
Just have to post these first.

http://users.otenet.gr/~charral/mi1/shot06.gif

http://www.sebelinteractive.de/scummvm/images/shots/monkey1_8.jpg

http://www.sebelinteractive.de/scummvm/images/shots/monkey1_3.jpg

http://www.sebelinteractive.de/scummvm/images/shots/monkey1_6.jpg

Jeez that game made me laugh. ;)

Morpheous
30-07-04, 19:10
Half Life > All. It's a complete classic that spawned a whole generation of games, and Freeman is a revered name to this day.

It's a classic in the same way Neuromancer is.

To be completely honest, i've never even heard of The Secret of Monkey Island untill this thread.

msdong
30-07-04, 19:12
Monkey Island is the better game.even when HL create dense atmosphere its more fun to play an Lucas adventure.

To be completely honest, i've never even heard of The Secret of Monkey Island untill this thread.

:eek: im complete shocked

Benjie
30-07-04, 19:13
Thats because you mentioned you were 8 when you first played half life, and monkey island came out over a decade before that. :p

Jest
30-07-04, 19:46
Whoa cool it looks like the Quest for Glory series. Might have to check Monkey Island out.

Alex Krom
30-07-04, 20:21

No offense but OMG video gaming n00b !!!11111 :P

i go for guybrush btw ;)

j/k
Lex

Crono
30-07-04, 20:29
Grim Fandango > Secret of Monkey Island (and every other lucas game :P)

:P

-Crono

rob444
30-07-04, 20:37
The first monkey island game I played was Lee chuck's revenge (spell?) which was the second game I think. It rocked :>

Jest
30-07-04, 20:58
Grim Fandango > Secret of Monkey Island (and every other lucas game :P)-CronoYah Grim Fandango was hella cool. (Some one punch me for saying the word 'hella'). :(

Dirk_Gently
30-07-04, 21:30
Still haven't finished Half Life. I got bored.

Finished Monkey Island without getting bored :)

msdong
30-07-04, 22:27
Grim Fandango > Secret of Monkey Island (and every other lucas game :P)....

hmm, im not shure if the best lucas adventure was DoT of Full Throttle.
i played FT 3 times only to hear the cool music.

OMG its 50 <> 50

Siygess
30-07-04, 22:36
He's a mighty pirate!

Enough said :D

Barar
30-07-04, 23:42
Monkey Island was awesome but bit too wayout on the answers u end up trying everything with everything ..

Day of the Tenticle or Sam and Max get my vote prob DoT was the better .. Full throttle was enjoyable bit short tho

Different genres your comparing but out of the two half life has given me most 'computing pleasure' followed by Kazaa :D

Ultima
31-07-04, 00:45
Monkey Island had originality, unfortunately each realease got less new and held less originality. The 2nd one was cool tho!

Omnituens
31-07-04, 01:12
I liked the sword fighting in SOMI

But Gordon Freeman is the daddy.

ezza
31-07-04, 01:32
monkey island is the win

look a 3 headed monkey :lol:

insult sword fighting was great fun

Organics
31-07-04, 02:10
Can't beat Monkey Island, and it beats HL no problem. I got bored of Half Life several times near the end, never once got bored of Monkey Island.

Loved that rubber tree bit. :lol:

Valmur
31-07-04, 02:31
Guybrush is almost as mighty pirate as I am.
Love it.

rob444
31-07-04, 12:56
http://www.geocities.com/TelevisionCity/5729/Title2.mid yeah! :lol:

Benjie
31-07-04, 13:03
ok i just put the music in my signature. ;)

Genty
31-07-04, 13:07
The Secret of Monkey Island on the basis that I never played Half-Life.

Richard Slade
31-07-04, 14:00
What is Half-Life?

Edit: Yes, I'm just joking

Inchenzo
31-07-04, 14:11
Monkey Island was and IS still to f**cking cool, Half life is just another FPS, it isn't as revolutionairy as some might think. Games just got shallow..

..i..DemonX
31-07-04, 15:17
Monkey Island > all :) :angel:

coppertop
31-07-04, 15:22
Guybrush is the winner.

Monkey island one and two were hilarious games to play. Anyone else remember the spitting contest?

:lol:

Clay
31-07-04, 15:31
If there is a game with non-beatable humor and originality its definately Monkey Island.
I never played parts 3 and 4 though. Maybe I should get back to them.

Benjie
01-08-04, 03:58
If there is a game with non-beatable humor and originality its definately Monkey Island.
I never played parts 3 and 4 though. Maybe I should get back to them.
Monkey Island 3 wasn't bad. I genuinly enjoyed it, although it's not a classic like the previous two. Escape from monkey island was awefull though. I couldn't stand it. Personally I would just re-install the first two and play them through again. Much more fun! :D

Indrid Cold
01-08-04, 06:37
Valve + Lucasarts = "The secret of Black Mesa Island"

SorkZmok
01-08-04, 06:59
humor > fps

Simple as that.

CarniFlex
01-08-04, 09:24

And its going to be 3 years late, overanticipated and the developers screaming it will revolutionize how we look at gaming... not mention it will be an 1 hour game, and when asked bout it, they will reply "sure its 1 hour only, but the quality we put into that hour!" :lol:

msdong
01-08-04, 09:35
And its going to be 3 years late, overanticipated and the developers screaming it will revolutionize how we look at gaming... not mention it will be an 1 hour game, and when asked bout it, they will reply "sure its 1 hour only, but the quality we put into that hour!" :lol:

don't forget that every pirate using laser blades:D

lets face it. the time of great adventure games are long lost.(especially the time when lucas made them)

Gunkl
01-08-04, 09:46
hmm I Like Zak McKracken the most o_O :angel:

well,i cant say wich is better,sorry,both games are very good

Hayato
01-08-04, 11:17
Monkey Island fewl. Anyone who has never played this game and calls themself a "gamer" should be beat with an ibm computer!

RaZorr
01-08-04, 11:26
Monkey Island > Half Life

Nuff said

mfg RaZorr :angel:

RaZorr
01-08-04, 11:27

Yea and le CHuck Is an 8 Armed alien with ORganic homing missiles :wtf:

mfg RaZorr

Benjie
01-08-04, 11:57
Didn't Monkey Island kinda invent Dialogue options in games? Before Monkey Island the best Dialouge I'm sure was text adventure type. Think of all the games that use the Monkey Island Dialouge system...

When I made this thread I was almost undecided. Now I think Monkey Island has definetly revolutionised gaming much more than Half Life. There both good, but Monkey Island is the winner.

Think I'll put Guybrush in my Avatar.

Rade
01-08-04, 14:00
HL revolutionised what? Imo it was nothing more than a singleplayer shooter
and there is and was plenty of those to go around.

enigma_b17
01-08-04, 14:46
monkey island > all i especially liked tryin to figure out how to get that stupid pirates gold tooth using the bubblegum :)

rob444
01-08-04, 14:50
The broken sword games are damn cool too :)

P4mp3rk3
01-08-04, 15:05
aaaah, adventures, my first love...

Guybrush wins

-REMUS-
01-08-04, 15:21
Half Life

Guywood Threepbrush or what ever he is called is a twat.

Organics
01-08-04, 15:33
Half Life

Ahh but he's so much more amusing than bloody Gordon Freeman who never sees a line of dialogue in voice or text!

Guybrush Threepwood is the best.

(oh yeah that .mid music rocks. Can't beat the Scumm Bar :D)

RuButt
01-08-04, 16:20
monkey island > all! :P

-=BlackBeard=-
01-08-04, 16:41
onoz <3 benji

i am one of the biggest ML fans........ got all 4 completed many many times with out using those blasted game ruiners :D

-=BlackBeard=-
01-08-04, 16:44
Half Life

thats deep man insult my idle why dont you

-=blackbeard=- is much greater than me.

i agree with that though

Rade
01-08-04, 18:10
Didn't Monkey Island kinda invent Dialogue options in games? Before Monkey Island the best Dialouge I'm sure was text adventure type. Think of all the games that use the Monkey Island Dialouge system...

Maniac Mansion was first with that, the SCUMM engine which was used to
create MM is the same that was used for alot of those games including
monkey island..

Dim
01-08-04, 18:15
You ppl made me play Monkey Island again!! You ruined my life!! :p

Callash
01-08-04, 18:41
Maniac Mansion was first with that, the SCUMM engine which was used to
create MM is the same that was used for alot of those games including
monkey island..
Which is why it is called SCUMM btw :)

Script Creation Utility for Maniac Mansion

-=BlackBeard=-
01-08-04, 18:44

really wow...... well now its the LOUA bar or sumthing ;)

You ppl made me play Monkey Island again!! You ruined my life!!

yup me to theres no resisting is there :p

Rade
01-08-04, 18:46

Yeah, I didnt want to show everyone that I was a big enough nerd to know
what it stands for, thanks for filling in ;)

-=BlackBeard=-
01-08-04, 18:51
Yeah, I didnt want to show everyone that I was a big enough nerd to know
what it stands for, thanks for filling in ;)

haha :P i dont no the technical stuff but i <3 all the lucas arts adventure games

Sam and max
Day of the tentacle
Monkey island
full throtle
Grim Fandango

they r bringing out sam and max 2 sooon wooot

nerf lucas arts

Callash
01-08-04, 18:59
they r bringing out sam and max 2 sooon wooot

nerf lucas arts
Ummm I hate to burst your bubble, but Lucasarts canceled sam&max2 about a month ago...

-=BlackBeard=-
01-08-04, 19:04
Ummm I hate to burst your bubble, but Lucasarts canceled sam&max2 about a month ago...

8|

fook sake i think they cancelled full throtle 2 also?

Callash
01-08-04, 19:09
Yes, they did. They also made it specifically clear that they are not interested in developing new Adventure Games anymore, to fully concentrate on the Star Wars franchise.

P4mp3rk3
01-08-04, 19:34
to fully milk the Star Wars cow. haha :)

enigma_b17
01-08-04, 20:05
Originally Posted by -REMUS-
"Half Life

Guywood Threepbrush or what ever he is called is a twat."#

omg that is blasphamy, Guybrush is the man

-=BlackBeard=-
01-08-04, 20:07
Originally Posted by -REMUS-
"Half Life

Guywood Threepbrush or what ever he is called is a twat."#

omg that is blasphamy, Guybrush is the man

enigma is my hero baby

Mr Kot
01-08-04, 20:08
http://davesdrivertraining.co.uk/Neocron/rentboy.jpg

sorry for the schoolboy humour, but that pic was sooooo dodgy, i couldn't resist :p

msdong
01-08-04, 21:39
FT2, SM2 and there isnt even a chance somebody else release it because lucas dont need the money from the licence like interplay with Fallout.

maybe we should collect like, uhhh a 2000€ of every NC player to buy the rights ;)

Endar
02-08-04, 00:41
Well cant help it. I just love (nearly) all old adventure games and have always hated Halflife and its MODs. To be honest I downloaded Halflife two months before it got to Europe and deleted it before I finished it...

So its Secret of Monkey Island :D I also loved the Indiana Jones games, maybe because I also loved the movies (I have those on DVD btw :p ).

Oh damn why did you guys post SoMI pics... Now I have to play that game again... Im feeling strong urge to buy a old comp and install all those old good games to that computer...

Just remember how fun it was to stay up late drinking coffee and trying to solve that strange puzzle... And when you couldnt solve it you get up and get some more coffee and promise to your self that when you solve it you will go to sleep... And when you did solve it you forgot bout the promise and just keeped playing... :( I need to get those games somewhere...

Organics
02-08-04, 00:51
@Endar

www.scummvm.org

Great program for playing old adventure games. I've just finished completing Beneath a Steel Sky, dam that game was fucking great!

Going for Monkey Island games next.

Endar
02-08-04, 00:59
Thanks! Installing it right now :D

Beneath a Steel Sky... Space Quest... Why the http://www.the-underdogs.org/ is down?! BTW if you need ANY old games just visit the underdogs, the best place for all abandonware :D

Organics
02-08-04, 01:03
Hehe yeah I've been visiting the Underdogs for years :D Some good stuff there.

Currently been playing a lot of old Spectrum games. www.worldofspectrum.org is a fucking brilliant site, almost every spectrum game you can think of :)

Chaos is still the best now, and also freely available!

(edit: BASS is freeware too now, and brilliant :D)

(2nd edit: *looks at latest poll results* hahaha Halflife got owned by Monkey Island. HAHAHAHA)

yavimaya
02-08-04, 01:29
Half Life > All. It's a complete classic that spawned a whole generation of games, and Freeman is a revered name to this day.

It's a classic in the same way Neuromancer is.

lol, kinda like the beatles spawned a generation of music? HAH what a load of crap.
HL didnt spawn any generation of anything, it like all other FPS are clones. not saying they suck, but they are all clones of wolfenstein.

-=BlackBeard=-
02-08-04, 11:09
oh wow flight of the amazon queen havnt played that for ages :)