PDA

View Full Version : O/T: What game made you realise that you were a "gamer"?

Dirk_Gently
30-07-04, 00:27
Off Topic I know but I figure this is a "getting to know you" thread.

OK this has probably been done before, I just think that this is get's you deep inside a person's mind O_o

So what game made you realise you were a gamer, I don't mean what game did you first play, but what game really made you sit down for hours and play it. Which game started your obsession/hobby??

For me it would be Sid Meier's Pirates! on my trusty old Amstrad and Elite on the BBC. That would be around 1986-1987 time.

My Amstrad had 128k of processing power and absolutely rocked :p .

Benjie
30-07-04, 00:29
Batman the Movie <3
The Half Life 2 of it's day.

Genty
30-07-04, 00:29
Probably Beneath A Steel Sky, I played that for a long time, i really loved that game, still do infact :D

Either that or a Championship Manager....dunno which one was moy first but that game is addictive :p

Lexxuk
30-07-04, 00:30
if any, it would be transport tycoon that sucked up most of my life, though sim city managed to suck up a few years from me.

Morpheous
Half-Life.

Richard Slade
Alex the kid on sega :p
All of them.

Marx
Dark Sun: Shattered Lands.

Centuri
30-07-04, 00:32
I knew I was a gamer when I used to play on the old consoles such as master system, and commadore 64 etc.

However the game that got me into mmorpgs was Jumpgate. That was the first one I played and I enjoyed it a lot. From there I have played and tested loads of other MMORPG's. The interaction with other real people gave games another dimension for me.

cRazy2003
30-07-04, 00:34
pong when i was a kid at the arcades

TheGreatMilenko
30-07-04, 00:35
when i moved to california had nothing to do but sit in my room all the time and play games
i miss Montana

Lexxuk
30-07-04, 00:36
pong when i was a kid at the arcades

last week then dude? <3

cRazy2003
30-07-04, 00:38
last week then dude? <3

dude seriously shut up now, aint funny anymore.

Dribble Joy
30-07-04, 00:38
duke3D

Dirk_Gently
30-07-04, 00:39
I feel old :(

Richard Slade
30-07-04, 00:40
dude seriously shut up now, aint funny anymore.

"Young teenager got medieval on senior citizens ass...."

Gohei
30-07-04, 00:40
When i went nuts over my 8-bit Nintendo as a kid.... Played everything i got my hands on those days,,.

Psycho_Soldier
30-07-04, 00:41
Team Fortress Classic... well for computer.

Before that it was Pacman, then Mario Bros. 3, then Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (which I bought for $75 when it first came out), then Starfox 64 (bought that for $100 when it first came out). Then TFC. TFC I played for at least 6 hours a day for the first 2 years unless some other shit got into the way that I had no control of.

Ryuben
30-07-04, 00:57
Depends,

Elite on my C64

Orrrrrrr

Battle toads :D

OMG star fox !!!

rob444
30-07-04, 01:03
Hm, I've always been a gamer since 3 years old or something :cool:

Tratos
30-07-04, 01:06
Mario Bros on the NES

I loved that game :(

Then Mario 3 on the SNES and all the mario games that then came out, lol i dont think they made me think i was a gamer as it was just ohh games as im only 16 no so i was only ikkle, lol what did it for me i think was probably FFVII

Yeah FFVII was when i think i became a gamer.

dmon99
30-07-04, 01:08
i bacame a gamer at 5 years of age, the lil' girl down the street.......she tempted me into her house with the original donky kong game on her dads commodore personal computer...... back when DOS was the only operating system.

i was freakin hooked, my grandmother came out side to see where i was at,

but couldnt find me.. and at that age i got my ass beat for going into peoples houses. grandma's rule was ( if i call for you ta git home and you cant hear me .....your gettin yur ass beat!)

so thats when i became a gamer...... when i would risk an ass beating just to play a video game

jernau
30-07-04, 01:08
Elite definitely. I played loads of stuff before that but nothing like the same way. I would play an hour maybe of any one game at a time then load another, then maybe back to the first or whatever. Elite was - come home, insert tape, don't move for food or sleep, miss school bus, etc.

Batman the Movie <3
The Half Life 2 of it's day.I have no clue what that means.

/edit - That's Elite on the BBC of course, the only true version.

Lexxuk
30-07-04, 01:11
you know your a gamer when your chat up lines include either ATI or NVidia, OpenGL or DirectX, and you think "hey baby, i got a gig of ram" is an acceptable chat up line :p

Seven
30-07-04, 01:13
Wing Commander back in 1990 on my friends computer, after a couple of weeks I got a loan to buy my first computer and bought the game.

Ryuben
30-07-04, 01:15
Elite definitely.

/edit - That's Elite on the BBC of course, the only true version.

Elite on the Commador 64 > BBC ;)

Drake6k
30-07-04, 01:16
Sonic 2!!!

Then doom for computer!! I became "hardcore" with Quake 2 though.

jernau
30-07-04, 01:16
Elite on the Commador 64 > BBC ;)
Not even close.

It was an improvement on the speccy version though, not that that's saying much.

Noldus
30-07-04, 01:28
That must have been Outrun on my first 12Mhz 286 with green monochrome hercules screen and a huge 20mb drive that would never get full back in 1989 or so :lol:

Saza
30-07-04, 01:28
Shit.... that's a tough question... Has to be either Day of the Tentacle, Sam and Max or Full Throttle.

Why?

Cuz I threatened to kill myself if I didn't work out how to complete the bits I got stuck on :D .

<3 LucasArts

p.s. bring back Sam n' Max 2

XaNToR
30-07-04, 01:29
age of empires series....

cRazy2003
30-07-04, 01:52
"Young teenager got medieval on senior citizens ass...."

well im an adult but lexx keeps piss taking that im 11/12/13/14/15 whatever, and people keep asking me if i am from all over, getting annoying now.

Nvidia
30-07-04, 02:00
Tie Fighter.

God damn that fucking game, it stole so much of my life, but it was the best game, and the first in a seemingly-3D environment, I've probably played to this day. I remember having my two computer speakers on my Pentium 166 cranked as I went to the tutorial mission. I blew up one of those containers and watched the (at the time) extremely pretty explosion light up the screen.

My god, those were the days. I can't believe how far we've come in that short amount of time. I wish I could play Tie Fighter still, but I have a joystick that no longer works. :(

By the way, you can make whatever you want out of that last comment. :p

Dirk_Gently
30-07-04, 02:04
My god, those were the days. I can't believe how far we've come in that short amount of time. I wish I could play Tie Fighter still, but I have a joystick that no longer works. :(

lol, Tie Fighter did indeed rock.

I had the original 2D Star Wars Flying game (from like 84/85) on the BBC. Those white and green wireframe lines were really cool then. :)

The Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back games rocked, while the Return of the Jedi one sucked.

I broke my joystick playing Hypersports :(

Clive tombstone
30-07-04, 02:06
Im SOOO gonna get flamed for this...

Everquest

Dirk_Gently
30-07-04, 02:09
Im SOOO gonna get flamed for this...

Everquest

Nah, you can get into gaming anyway you want.

Even if it is through *shudder* EQ. ;)

Rade
30-07-04, 02:10
1986 - super mario bros, NES

Played for a while, and told my dad that when I grew up I wanted to make
video games, never changed my mind, 18 years later guess what Im doing ;)

Dirk_Gently
30-07-04, 02:11
1986 - super mario bros, NES

Played for a while, and told my dad that when I grew up I wanted to make
video games, never changed my mind, 18 years later guess what Im doing ;)

Wanting to make Video Games??? :lol:

j/k ;)

Clownst0pper
30-07-04, 02:17
A game on the Spectrum called Commando, scrolling shooter, addictive, colorfull, wasted youth.

OH OH! And Hired Guns - Revolutionised and coined the term Multiplayer

Dirk_Gently
30-07-04, 02:22
A game on the Spectrum called Commando, scrolling shooter, addictive, colorfull, wasted youth.

I had that on the Amstrad. I was shite at it, I think i only ever made it to the 3rd or 4th level :lol: .

The Flamethrower effect was great fun and the Music (as it was in those days) was cool though!!

RayBob
30-07-04, 02:24
duke3D"It's time to kick ass and chew bubble gum, and I'm all out of gum." Something like that. That line always made me laugh.

joran420
30-07-04, 02:26
i knew i liked video games the first time i turned on my freinds state of the art green screen apple computer....but the first time i spent more than 8 consecutive hours in front of a video game was EQ (now just looking at screens of EQ make me wanna puke)

G.0.D.
30-07-04, 02:32
starcraft

COLD
30-07-04, 02:42
C'mon now, I'm sure there are several of you out there that spent countless hours playing space invaders, defender, missile command, house, joust, etc...on the old faithful Atari like I did, And then graduated to the Colecovision since it played Atari games as well. :lol:

eric-the-ded
30-07-04, 02:43
i can't even remember what the first game i played for hours and hours was.
i've always played the games i like untill my arms go numb. my parents had an atari 2600 that i never left alone. then my dad bought a c64 that i never left alone. then came NES... etc etc.. now days it's ps2 and gamecube.

wow. i have no life. i've never had a life. what have i let myself become? damn you video games! DAAAMN YOOOUU!!

http://www.mrpist.com/outlaws.gif

Ormy
30-07-04, 02:48
Hmm, i started to enjoy gaming with MGS on the Playstation, but really got into gaming playing JumpGate.

Chaos81
30-07-04, 03:03
It was a compound of Civilization, Warcraft, and Command and Conquer.

Freya
30-07-04, 03:05
dune 2, 7th guest, Iron Helix O.o for pc

Mario 3! for the nes and from there i was hooked

Rade
30-07-04, 03:06
Tie Fighter.

God damn that fucking game, it stole so much of my life, but it was the best game, and the first in a seemingly-3D environment, I've probably played to this day. I remember having my two computer speakers on my Pentium 166 cranked as I went to the tutorial mission. I blew up one of those containers and watched the (at the time) extremely pretty explosion light up the screen.

Dang, now I need to get tie fighter rolling on this puter somehow...

Btw nvidia, were you in 14K triad? o_O

Tupac
30-07-04, 04:56
Street fighter 2 nuff said

Dirk_Gently
30-07-04, 05:00
Street fighter 2 nuff said

And another game I was crap at.............

Sigma
30-07-04, 05:26
Tie Fighter.

Same here.

tiikeri
30-07-04, 05:54
I've been having these reincarnations by the time :)

C64 - Airborne Ranger. Or HeadOverHeels. (ahem.. not gonna mention Sex Games)

NES - Super Mario Bros - Atleast when i was running it through for the 8th time in a row and thinking "Wow.. i'm uber" :angel: And a bit later i found MegaMan-series.

Amiga - When i realized that i have played Secret Of The Silver Blades for 18hours straight without eating anything and had really sore back.

PC is tough one.. Perhaps could name couple games that have taken most of the playing time during the time i've had PC.MonkeyIslands, DukeNukem3d, Quake1, Diablo1, StarCraft, Diablo2.

Benjie
30-07-04, 06:00
I was into computers waaaaaaay before I played this game, but i don't care.

Did anyone ever become addicted to Realms Of The Haunting?

Tomalak
30-07-04, 06:17
First games I got EXTREMELY hardcore into:
8-Bit NES : Double Dragon/ Final Fantasy/Contra/Metal Gear/ExciteBike/Zelda

It was pretty much a tie between all of those.

Birkoff
30-07-04, 06:27
Well i knew that iwas agamer when i used to play a weird game called Mr. E on a BBC(stone age computer) but the first game i played 24/7/356 was many years later.... Ultima Online :)

seraphian
30-07-04, 07:51
The first game I ever played was on my grandma's old Commodore 64, Space Jockey or something like that, and a game called Galaxa or something like that where you flew and little space ship through obsticles in top-down view and had to kill this robot with a massive missile in his armpit (BTW, I'm only 19, so none of these games were new when I played them...)

The first game I got seriously into was the shareware of DOOM when I was like 10, that game kicked so much ass! That or Descent, the origional, the 3-d maps are TO THIS DAY some of the most innovative I've ever seen.

Quake was also big for me at about the same time. The moment I realized I was a gamer was the sheer thrill of either finishing DOOM II (I managed to drop the Icon of Sin on the first try! not bad for an 11-year old... :lol:) either that or the end of Quake, that was one of the most frantic battles I've fought yet, in any game.

The game that got me hooked on computer RPGS (I've been a tabletop gamer for about 8 years now, since I bought the Street Samurai Catalog (first ed.) at gencon while I was doing the junior tournement for the Star Trek CCG (I was **such** a geek, still am really :P) was Final Fantasy 7.

jernau
30-07-04, 07:52
C'mon now, I'm sure there are several of you out there that spent countless hours playing space invaders, defender, missile command, house, joust, etc...on the old faithful Atari like I did, And then graduated to the Colecovision since it played Atari games as well. :lol:
Yes but no single game of that era could 100% monopolise my time.

OK, maybe Joust in a sense but I usually stopped playing it to eat.

Mr. E
Mr. EE rocked. To the non-BBC world it's called Boulderdash btw - most of the classics had non-trademarked names on the Beeb to save money.

Koshinn
30-07-04, 07:55
Either warcraft 1 or tie fighter or wing commander 1... not too sure.

Jeros82
30-07-04, 09:08
I think Illusion of Gaia & Lufia 2 really did it with me.....

viscious666
30-07-04, 09:13
first zelda on gameboy...

Lethys
30-07-04, 09:57
Super Mario World or F-Zero.

phunqe
30-07-04, 10:11
Hmm... I think the term "computer geek" and "gamer" are somewhat interconnected :p

I don't really know when I "became" a gamer... What I do know is when I became a computer geek.
When my father brought home a 8086 with flourescent monochrome screen (he worked at NCR) :p
http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?st=1&c=539

:D

Archeus
30-07-04, 10:29
So what game made you realise you were a gamer, I don't mean what game did you first play, but what game really made you sit down for hours and play it. Which game started your obsession/hobby??

Elite. Only game I played for a long time. After that "head over heels".

evs
30-07-04, 10:38
Devil's Crown on a friends spectrum 16k
or the 1st revision of double dragon (before it was translated)

cant remember which one came 1st

took a while for my parents to afford a computer, but hell its my job now and i get good money for it.

Omnituens
30-07-04, 11:47
My longest gaming session was probably on Front Mission 3, but i knew i was a gamer long before then

I think it was when i started hiding under cardboard boxes to avoid security cameras i thought to myself.. "Stop playing MGS"

hinch
30-07-04, 11:50
jet set willy on my vic 20

r-type on amiga
populus on amiga
Mega lo Mania on amiga :)
(i had over 1k amiga games :) most pirated)

doom 1 & 2 486sx laptop from work :)

{MD}GeistDamnit
30-07-04, 12:00
Mario brothers.

Darkener
30-07-04, 12:21
Quake 2 best Fps i have played . It was pretty kewl back in the day on a 8 mb graphics card 56k line trying to kill something by shooting like in front of were it was moving

jernau
30-07-04, 12:51
Quake 2 best Fps i have played . It was pretty kewl back in the day on a 8 mb graphics card 56k line trying to kill something by shooting like in front of were it was moving

Are you trying to make some of us feel old?

hinch
30-07-04, 12:52
i already feel old i remember asteroids in arcades

jernau
30-07-04, 12:53
i already feel old i remember asteroids in arcades
Sit down or stand up?

Inchenzo
30-07-04, 12:55
The moment i craved to get new games on my trusty Atari ST (in it's high days) and the fact i drooled over lot's of images of games in ST format. :D

Mantiz
30-07-04, 12:58
Prince of Persia... no, Slicks n Slide :D

Dim
30-07-04, 12:58
Dune2 for me, played the shit out of it.

hinch
30-07-04, 13:11
Sit down or stand up?

stand up in big cab with the 15" tv :)

ezza
30-07-04, 13:20
first game i started playing loads was Kick Off 2, used to go to a mates who had played it over and over and was amazing at it.

id never played it before and got hammerd with nearly 1/2 my team getting sent off.

took me about a year to beat him, only done it once but it was a great acheivement :lol:

beyond that, never really gamed that much until Diablo came out.

sure played over games but never what you would say is a gamer

Freaky Fryd
30-07-04, 13:47
Computer Game: Doom
I kinda figured out a "safe" place to load it on the computer network at school and myself and 3 buddies would stay at school until 8 or 9 at night playing it before finally going home...

Console Game: NES - Super Mario Bros 3
I once played my way through every level, beat the game, then beat it again to see if I got anything special a second time through...
O_o

Birkoff
30-07-04, 13:52
I once played my way through every level, beat the game, then beat it again to see if I got anything special a second time through...
O_o

I'm not the only one then :D

Completed Deus Ex twice in the same day as well... knew what was gunna be in every box... dammit ive wasted to much of my time playing deus ex :S

Mantiz
30-07-04, 13:53
O_o

If you haven't seen it before check out this guy beating the game in 11mins... you'll be amazed

17mb wmv (http://club.nate.com/cfiles/952/cgipeople/moSMB3.wmv)

If it's slow just do a google for moSMB3.wmv

Ryuben
30-07-04, 13:54
I'm not the only one then :D

Completed Deus Ex twice in the same day as well... knew what was gunna be in every box... dammit ive wasted to much of my time playing deus ex :S
yeah but deus Ex rocks shame about the MP side...

Noodle
30-07-04, 13:55
food fight on Atari XE :p

El_MUERkO
30-07-04, 14:01
Manic Miner and Immposimole on the Spectrum 48k :)

Birkoff
30-07-04, 14:03
yeah but deus Ex rocks shame about the MP side...

My favorite all time game by A MILE... i loved it.... love it... always will.....

oh and NC

BTW get on coms u retard :P

Capt. Rik
30-07-04, 14:13
oh man too many good games in this thread.

I'd have to say the earliest games i devoted any serious time to were:

Castle Quest (BBC)
Elite (BBC)
Mario 1, 2 and 3 (NES)
Mario World (SNES)
Legend of Zelda: A Link to the past (SNES)
Street Fighter 2 Turbo (SNES)
Worms (Amiga)
UFO: Enemy Unknown (PC)
Diablo (PC)
Quake (PC)

Shame a don't own a PC slow enough to play most of these

hinch
30-07-04, 14:34
the amiga version of ufo:enemy unknown was so much better than the pc version as the amiga has far superiour sound and gfx capabilities at the time

Capt. Rik
30-07-04, 14:36
the amiga version of ufo:enemy unknown was so much better than the pc version as the amiga has far superiour sound and gfx capabilities at the time

I have to agree with you. I originally played it on my friends amiga but then bought it for myself.

notneo
30-07-04, 14:41
ufo enemy unknown

garyu69
30-07-04, 14:41
Always been a Gamer and always will be.

First console was the NES with Super Mario Bros, Duck Hunt and Cobra Triangle.

And it just grew from then on with games being added and consoles being added.

Was never really a PC gamer and will always deep down be a console gamer at heart. NC was my first MMORPG and i am still here. Its sexy.

but i still say Console > PC

*runs*

Siygess
30-07-04, 14:42
Like Hinch, most of my hard core gaming was done on my old Amiga - Hired Guns, UFO, Lemmings etc. but really I started started on one of those old Atari things, you know, with the dial on the huge handset that moved the paddle up and down in pong. I suppose I realised I was a gamer right then and there, because since then it's been Atari > Vic-20 > Spectrum 128k > Sega Master System > Amiga 600 > Amiga 1200 > Playstation > PC and I've played a *lot* of games on each and every system.

Ultima
30-07-04, 15:00
PONG .. on my dads really old Atari Console when I was a kiddy all them years ago - dam I'm depressed of my age now o_O

Opar
30-07-04, 15:06
Either Sonic The Hedgehog on the Megadrive

Tomb Raider 2 on PC...

Oh yeah, and I forgot, more recently....

NEOCRON

mazzaker
30-07-04, 15:30
A gamer - River Raid
A clan gamer - Quake
A nerdy clan gamer - Quake 3
A nerdy clan gamer without a life - Neocron
A nerdy clan gamer without a life studying game design - all the above and more.

jernau
30-07-04, 16:11
stand up in big cab with the 15" tv :)In the reflector cabinets. Ah, thems was the days. :D

Can't say I agree on the Amiga thing at all though. UFO was after the SB16 and the AWE both of which made the Amiga look like the PC speaker on an AT.

i still say Console > PCEveryone has the right to be wrong. ;)

THE_TICK!!!!
30-07-04, 16:21
hmm im gonna have to say ghost recon !!! great game..and yes i started off a tad late to the gaming seen :D probly was what 26 or so when i first started..but im makin up for it :P

hinch
30-07-04, 16:29
In the reflector cabinets. Ah, thems was the days. :D

Can't say I agree on the Amiga thing at all though. UFO was after the SB16 and the AWE both of which made the Amiga look like the PC speaker on an AT.
Everyone has the right to be wrong. ;)

actually the amiga's had better sound than the pc until the pc got the 32 bit cards since amiga's had 16 bit full stereo since 1985 :)

jernau
30-07-04, 16:38
actually the amiga's had better sound than the pc until the pc got the 32 bit cards since amiga's had 16 bit full stereo since 1985 :)
Indeed it was ahead for ages but the SB16 was MUCH better and the AWE was many times better again than that. Both were out before XCOM and fully supported in it.

I can't remember if I saw XCOM specifically on the Amiga but tech-wise the PC was a million miles ahead by then and it was written for the PC so I can't see how the Amiga port could have matched it.

Harch
30-07-04, 17:33
Half life (1) or.... counter striker i suppose ( yes ..before the hackers.. hah that makes me l337) and yes most recently of course NEOCORN!

Spy XX
30-07-04, 17:36
Maniac Mansion (C64) + Amberstar (Amiga) :D

Biznatchy
30-07-04, 18:58
It was a combat ascii graphic game called Empire. It got a graphic upgrade like 6 years later. It was back around 1980 when i first played it.

Dos 2 was the next thing that made me know i was a gamer. I didnt have any cool RPG game at the time all were text based crap. So i wrote an ascii graphic RPG that had a screen that you moved your char around in and killed mobs and explored caves and stuff in. I wrote the game in BasicA on an IBM PCjr. It took about two months of coding and was around 200 printed pages of code not counting the database files for the world.

Clothing_Option
30-07-04, 19:08
The first release of Starseige Tribes
The action was totoally addicting and it took skill to kill pple

Necrosadistic
30-07-04, 19:12
That game on teh Sinclair where you were a commando, top down, going forward forward forward shooting things... Or the diver one where you ahd to dive for treasure and shoot sharks...

Late 80s early 90's???

steweygrrr
30-07-04, 19:21
X-COM Terror From The Deep.

Still one of my fave strategy games ever.

Dirk_Gently
30-07-04, 20:16
It was a combat ascii graphic game called Empire. It got a graphic upgrade like 6 years later. It was back around 1980 when i first played it.

Dos 2 was the next thing that made me know i was a gamer. I didnt have any cool RPG game at the time all were text based crap. So i wrote an ascii graphic RPG that had a screen that you moved your char around in and killed mobs and explored caves and stuff in. I wrote the game in BasicA on an IBM PCjr. It took about two months of coding and was around 200 printed pages of code not counting the database files for the world.

I think you win ;)

amfest
30-07-04, 20:30
pac-man, crazy climber, galaga, and pinball machines galore at the washerterias (hah . arcades . what were those :D ) about umm 1978 or 79 . . not sure .. my mom would hold me up to the games when there wasnt' a stool. I had a little dance I'd do while playing :p

Although I think my eyes lit up totally when Robotron came in :D

That game still gets my blood pumping! . . . (loads up mame) >_<

landofcake
30-07-04, 20:32
For me ... Unreal Tournament (the original) ... still an amazing game and streets ahead of its sequels. :D

Crono
30-07-04, 20:34
I think i realized when i started cutting 50% of my seinior year high school classes to play TFC ><

Ahh man, it was cool though and almost worth having to be a seinior again and i got good at ducking out of school :P :D

-Crono

zii
30-07-04, 20:48
Elite.

Darkener
31-07-04, 00:20
Are you trying to make some of us feel old?
hmmm what can i say. It was the first FPS i ever played and the only one i played for a long time , 2 years i played it . Started on msn gaming zone ahh joy of a 400 ping connecting up to someone else's pc them getting 25 ping and still managing to knock the crap outta them.

Before this game i would have went down the line console's and never would have heard of neocron ever because when i was buying it, i had to ask across the counter for it in game they werent even putting them on the shelves . Any other game shop in Dublin didnt stock it either

SilentEye
31-07-04, 00:49
Diablo was my first game.
Then Anarchy Online which was the first game I had to pay for per month, made me go 8| for a while.

MrChumble
31-07-04, 00:55
When did I realise I was a gamer...

When I was 6, and decided (mistakenly) that games > sexual exploration.

That kinda persisted til I got laid, now I'm more of a quasi-gamer. I think a straw poll would reveal that most gamers are too young for the more interesting things in life, and the ones who aren't don't spend enough time doing the interesting things in life :D

Dirk_Gently
31-07-04, 01:48
When did I realise I was a gamer...

When I was 6, and decided (mistakenly) that games > sexual exploration.

That kinda persisted til I got laid, now I'm more of a quasi-gamer. I think a straw poll would reveal that most gamers are too young for the more interesting things in life, and the ones who aren't don't spend enough time doing the interesting things in life :D

I'm in the group who have done the interesting things in life, have just switched to radio 2 but aren't quite ready for the pipe and slippers yet.

jernau
31-07-04, 01:52
I'm in the group who have done the interesting things in life, have just switched to radio 2 but aren't quite ready for the pipe and slippers yet.
Well put. :D

Kaden
31-07-04, 02:00
This thread has infact made me feel very old.

Rade
31-07-04, 02:35
This thread has infact made me feel very old.

It made me feel young, wooho I didnt get hooked til the NES :D

hinch
31-07-04, 03:45
Indeed it was ahead for ages but the SB16 was MUCH better and the AWE was many times better again than that. Both were out before XCOM and fully supported in it.

I can't remember if I saw XCOM specifically on the Amiga but tech-wise the PC was a million miles ahead by then and it was written for the PC so I can't see how the Amiga port could have matched it.

its a microprose game who were at the time pure amiga developers it was out on amiga about 8 months before pc version it used the 4024 colour pallet of the amiga in ham mode as oppposed to the 256 colour chunky pallet of the pc.

and because it was effectivley a scroller the pc really didnt handle it well :)

and i cant remember entirely but i dont think sb16's were out whe the 486 sx's were out which is when xcom came out about

Jesterthegreat
31-07-04, 03:54
It made me feel young, wooho I didnt get hooked til the NES :D

age means nothing...

i am 19 an i was hooked on:

Master system
NES
Mega drive
SNES
Playstation
N64
Playstation 2
XBOX

the only major consoles i didnt own were Dreamcast and Gamecube (oh and the Mega CD addon for the Mega drive)

i still have my origional Gamrboy (the massive chunky one)

somewhere in the loft i have an old Acron, Atari, Spectrum and coutless PC parts.

i have my PC which i built myself, and the family PC for idiots to download viruses on and claim they "didnt look for the porn, it was a pop-up!! honest!"

hell i wasn't even 10 and i programmed games on the Acorn Electron (of which i had 2... one with a tape drive and one with a floppy drive. the floppy drive doubled the size of the Acorn Electron :p)

NC Junkie... young, but has played his share of games :p

jernau
31-07-04, 04:24
its a microprose game who were at the time pure amiga developers it was out on amiga about 8 months before pc version it used the 4024 colour pallet of the amiga in ham mode as oppposed to the 256 colour chunky pallet of the pc.

and i cant remember entirely but i dont think sb16's were out whe the 486 sx's were out which is when xcom came out aboutI'm not sure on the exact release order but Microprose certainly weren't Amiga only. I was playing Sid Meier games on the PC several years before UFO came out.

I had an SB16 in the 486 I played UFO on. It also had a 1Mb S3 graphics card. I agree that neither were used to full extent by UFO though I'm not covinced it made much difference. Besides, UFO was great because of how it played, not just how it looked. Were there any functional differences on the Amiga?

/edit @ Junkie - wtf were you using an Electron for in 95? Even I had put my BBCBs and Masters into storage by then. The Archimedes had almost gone defunct by then.

On that point - did anyone else ever use an Atom?

Dirk_Gently
31-07-04, 04:31
The BBCB was the greatest home computer ever. It was just so damn good it hurt.

RuButt
31-07-04, 11:40
Quake 1 Quakeworld!!!

thoose were good times.. not to many ppl had access to internet and stuff back then. So you pretty much knew the ppl you played with. No "1337" ppl or anything like that.

btw, anyone know a good Q1 server? im getting nostalgic.. =/

QuantumDelta
31-07-04, 12:14
Secret of Mana, Mario World/Brothers 1, Mario Kart.

God knows, even before that I played PC Games on my old 12mhz 80286

Hitch Hikers Guide to the galaxy for one, Space Goose (LOL) and a bunch of others.
Jill of the Jungle ....god, loads.

The multiplayer, online game, that really hammered home that I'm a gamer, and will be staying a gamer for the rest of my days, would be FreeSpace, because there's no game better, even now, 6 years later.

SorkZmok
31-07-04, 12:31
Rick Dangerous.

MrChumble
31-07-04, 13:41
The BBCB was the greatest home computer ever. It was just so damn good it hurt.

Yup yup. I spent so much time playing on mine my dad made me cut holes in the side to fit a jerry-rigged volume control :D

This seems a good time to repost hey hey 16k! (http://www2.b3ta.com/heyhey16k/).

hinch
31-07-04, 22:32
Were there any functional differences on the Amiga?

no they played identical just amiga had more than 256 colours on screen at once had cd quality sound and processed the turns faster

appart from that identical

jernau
01-08-04, 00:10
no they played identical just amiga had more than 256 colours on screen at once had cd quality sound and processed the turns faster

appart from that identical
Actually I just checked it's release date - 1994 - slightly later than I thought.

1994 = Pentiums at up to 100Mhz on the PC or 25Mhz 68040s on the Amiga. PC sound and video was also miles ahead by then with both the AWE32 and Gravis Ultrasound out and a huge array of 16bit video cards.

MPC-2 (http://gawain.soc.staffs.ac.uk/~cmtnas/mmdemo/L1Sec5/html/mpc2.htm) was a year earlier and already beat the Amiga on every basis bar CPU which was deliberately set very low to encourage compliance.

Hardware-wise the PC was a million miles ahead of the Amiga by 1994. Like I said I don't know how much of this was used for sound and video but I don't believe for one second the Amiga processed turns faster unless they had removed features to compensate for it's technical weaknesses.

Psycho_Soldier
01-08-04, 01:05
I think i realized when i started cutting 50% of my seinior year high school classes to play TFC ><

Ahh man, it was cool though and almost worth having to be a seinior again and i got good at ducking out of school :P :D

-Crono

I quit school to play TFC... not like it did any harm though since I was failing every class to begin with.

Timmy2k
01-08-04, 01:09
Diablo 2 LOD

Benjie
01-08-04, 04:44
As a previous owner of an Atari STE, I feel it is my duty to tell you that the amiga sux0rs, and the Atari ownz you.

Ironic how most of the 1337 are game newbies considering 1337s roots, or is that just pathetic?

How to tell if somebody is a game newbie.

1: Do you think there will ever be a Marrowind 2? :rolleyes:
2: To be honest, I have never heard of Monkey Island untill this thread.
3: The first time I realised I was a gamer was when I played Diablo 2!!
4: Doom is Ancient man!

Freaky Fryd
01-08-04, 08:35
4: Doom is Ancient man!

Hahaha...I remember trying to find Wolfenstein mods...
;)

jernau
01-08-04, 08:36
Hahaha...I remember trying to find new Wolfenstein mods...
;)

Monty Python sound effects :D.

Freaky Fryd
01-08-04, 08:39
I don't remember the Monty Python Wolfenstein add-on, but I did have it for Doom...
;)

Actually, the best mod from those days was the Aliens mod for Doom...holy crap it was scary!
Wandering around, triggering the Alien's heavy breathing, firing with the assorted Marine's weapons...damn it was good!

The Simpsons add-on was great too...
"I can SEEEEEEEEEEEEE YOOOOOOOOOOU!"

jernau
01-08-04, 08:42
I don't remember the Monty Python Wolfenstein add-on, but I did have it for Doom...
;)

I think the same samples were still being used for the quake version.

I don't think I had the alien one but the Simpsons sounds familiar.

Necrosadistic
01-08-04, 09:00
Wolfenstein was kickass but gave me vertigo.... One of the versions I had at home was the street fighter mod, where everyone looked like Ken or Ryu, and the big machinegunner was that sumo wrestler :p

I always managed to combine having other fun and gaming, I just get fuck all sleep most of the time...

Hayato
01-08-04, 11:27
when i was in 1st grade playing soem random first peron rpg on some kids computers ALL day... and beating the game! Then it was to Monkey Island, Kings Quest, LSL, and one of my all time favs Police Quest! After taht i moved into Half-Life, got online one day played some TFC and that was that :P

Rade
01-08-04, 13:41
;)

Actually, the best mod from those days was the Aliens mod for Doom...holy crap it was scary!
Wandering around, triggering the Alien's heavy breathing, firing with the assorted Marine's weapons...damn it was good!

The Simpsons add-on was great too...
"I can SEEEEEEEEEEEEE YOOOOOOOOOOU!"

Alien Doom > all.

THEYRE ALL OVER THE PLACE!

Nixon
01-08-04, 14:47
Doom.

Quake1.

Rade
01-08-04, 17:24
Nixon every time I see that av I start giggling to myself. You need to post more.

Freaky Fryd
02-08-04, 01:12
Alien Doom > all.

THEYRE ALL OVER THE PLACE!

"There's movement all over the place! There! Over there, get 'em!"
Hahahaha, now I remember that...

It's hilarious watching the actual Aliens movie, because a sound byte from the Alien Doom will come up in the movie and I'll totally remember it...

Organics
02-08-04, 01:20

and i cant remember entirely but i dont think sb16's were out whe the 486 sx's were out which is when xcom came out about

A great pity that UFO : Enemy Unknown on the Amiga was plagued by the horrendous slowdowns in combat. It was fucking fantastic though even so. IMO the Amiga was so much better than the PC's of it's time. The sound owned everything too. PC sound was shit in comparison even with a decent soundboard :)

As for the game that made me realize I was a gamer... Errrrr. So many to choose from, so little time. Horace goes Skiing? Nah, probably Sabre Wulf or Jet Set Willy.

Possibly even Chuckie Egg on the BBC.

Organics
02-08-04, 01:21
"There's movement all over the place! There! Over there, get 'em!"
Hahahaha, now I remember that...

It's hilarious watching the actual Aliens movie, because a sound byte from the Alien Doom will come up in the movie and I'll totally remember it...

Hehe. I am a massive Aliens movie fan, I know that damned script inside and out. :)

Bred
02-08-04, 01:24
I must firmly say that Tetris on the old school Game Boy made me realize I was a gamer. I played that go for 6 hours a day back in the day. Then day of defeat was the first that made realize I was a fps gamer.

Brad

Neocrons_coward
02-08-04, 02:40
Back in 1980 um.... 9 when i was a lil 4 year old twat i used to sit on my fat arse and play that game shadow gate.. You knwo the one which on the back opf the box it says "Warning exposure to too long of entertainment may cause nightmares". I didnt dare touch it for 8 years after the dream and even now its not complete.. candle burns out and the wicca man gets me in the dark with the crown jewels.. Well in 1993 i got given a commodore 64 and played FRIDAY 13TH (nice game for a 9 year old to play).. Sat there endlessly stabbing the shit outta people screaminh die die die.. That soon went after i tried a Video in the tape player because my VCR was busted (somehow it didnt quite fit... when mum said insert a tape i thought she ment video) Then in 2000 It took me 2 years to save up £100 to bvuy myself a nice lovely lil Playstation 1 awwwwww and now i got

Nes
Snes
Mega Drive
N 64
Dreamcast
Ps2
ps1 x 3 (dont ask why i got three they shud be on e bay 2 of em)
and thats it.. But as far as online games i never knew existed til i tried myth of soma got murdered and pked and then left walked out as i got banned from forums for telling a moderator she needs to take off the dyke attitude and grow some real tits

didnt think she liked that insult... :P

Still banned now so i cant go flood their forums as i endlessly do when i get pked on ere... "fucking neocronical twats pking the shit outta meeh" BAN

coppertop
02-08-04, 15:25
Hmmm, probably Gunship (I think that was the name. It was a simulation of the apache gunship) on the Commodore 64.

Probably iether harpoon or civilization on the PC. Played civ for soooooo long. It was so damn hard to stop playing once you started a new game in civ. :cool:

J. Folsom
02-08-04, 15:44
Umm... Good question. :p

I think it was the original SimCity though, on those really huge old floppy disks.

GambitFlame
02-08-04, 21:13
Benjie is gonna love this

The first game i played was The Secret of Monkey Island (tm) been hooked ever since

dark_reaper
02-08-04, 23:20
I think Ive started when I was 2 years old with the atari systems. After I built my first computer when I was 13 wich has gone over a major overhauls and a refits in the past years. It was half-Life, TFC, and very early versions of CS like beta.01 stuff like that. Ten Neocron Came and stayed withit ever sence.