PDA

View Full Version : Another Worry about NC2

Whitestuff
29-07-04, 02:58
Just a little message to KK, who may be neglecting the American market a bit:
I have been to several game stores in my area in the last few weeks (actually, every one that I know of) and they have no record of this NC2:BDoY on there upcoming games lists. Isn't it like 1 month from going gold? And there is no record at all on their lists? 10tacel and Big Ben better get cracking on the US market, cause if the game stores don't know about it, half of your potential playerbase is lost.

So I would suggest, as a consumer, to start advertising. Like, now.

PS- Neocron is listed on their online database though, it retails at 4.99 US. . .

Dirk_Gently
29-07-04, 03:47
Just a little message to KK, who may be neglecting the American market a bit:
I have been to several game stores in my area in the last few weeks (actually, every one that I know of) and they have no record of this NC2:BDoY on there upcoming games lists. Isn't it like 1 month from going gold? And there is no record at all on their lists? 10tacel and Big Ben better get cracking on the US market, cause if the game stores don't know about it, half of your potential playerbase is lost.

So I would suggest, as a consumer, to start advertising. Like, now.

PS- Neocron is listed on their online database though, it retails at 4.99 US. . .

Same in the UK, I haven't been able to find it advertised anywhere. It seems to be being marketed like an expansion pack. I ge the impression that it is being aimed at current NC players and previous ones rather than trying to get new people in.

Morganth
29-07-04, 03:50
Same in the UK, I haven't been able to find it advertised anywhere. It seems to be being marketed like an expansion pack. I ge the impression that it is being aimed at current NC players and previous ones rather than trying to get new people in.

Its stupid because its being named Neocron 2, which suggests a completely new game. And a completely new game requires completely new publishing and completely new people, not just the old ones (all though they are usually > *). Somehow I think if the community had access to the necessary funds they could probably market it better than the publishers are at the mo.

NeoChick
29-07-04, 03:57
I also don't know what their motivation or reasons are for not advertising the game. Difficult to understand.

Worst is that we can do word of mouth advertising as much as we want, if anybody does become interested and asks at stores they are told yea, we already have NC, you can buy it for 4.99. NC2? never heard of it. That is usually enough to make anybody loose interest.

It is a bit like the old Return to Castle Wolfenstein story. The first one was really bad. So subsequently when the second version actually rocked, it never became very popular despite being imho much better than a lot of equal type games on the market at the time. Whenever you mentioned that game, people would say, ah yea, I played the older one and did not like it, they did not even want to discuss the later version, their mind was made up. (and that was an ID Software game!)

All I can think of is that perhaps they have, and expect to have so many followers in Germany/France that all the rest of the world is perhaps not that important to them........ who knows

Shadow Dancer
29-07-04, 04:08
Maybe they should market it as a completely new game, and not as a sequel?

Is that even possible? :p

You know, forget NC and just called the expansion/sequel/whatever something like "Reeza's Fall" or something. :p

Morganth
29-07-04, 04:13
You know, forget NC and just called the expansion/sequel/whatever something like "Reeza's Fall" or something. :p

I think "FRE" would be a more accurate representation of Neocron.

notneo
29-07-04, 18:55
synchronising

-FN-
29-07-04, 19:06
I just scroll down all these posts blatently telling KK, hey, wake the fuck up, and look for some sort of GM/Mod/KK reply - I have yet to see one who says anything useful, let alone anything at all.

Clownst0pper
29-07-04, 19:08
They shouldnt have made it Neocron2- It just sounds all wrong, the people who hated it originally, wont even give a second glance.

Ghanima
29-07-04, 19:31
Why not take a look at things from a positive point of view? Now that the beta has been running for a few days now and assuming the beta testers have gotten past the login screen here are a few deductions that could be made.

1) If NC2 really sucked people wouldn’t waste their time in the beta. They would cancel or try to sell their accounts and yell and shout all over the forums about KK.

2) Since no one has complained about NC2 maybe it must be pretty good. I haven’t even seen any leaks on forums that aren’t controlled by KK yet, which could indicate the game is so good no one is willing to take that risk and miss out on more beta action.

3) Maybe KK really isn’t running a beta and its all a great big hoax.

Opps I guess my positive thinking just ran out on the last point. :p

Ghamina :angel:

THE_TICK!!!!
29-07-04, 19:43
hmmmmmmm

Omni X
29-07-04, 22:13
I gotta agree here. If they want this game to survive and build up their playerbase, they MUST start advertising better and getting the Neocron name into circulation via gamestore advertising and knowledge.

If you go online to Gamestop or EBGames, a search of "neocron" returns no results, yet, here we are, only a month or 2, at most, from the release of NC"2". On the flipside, I was able to PREORDER World of Warcraft, back in March, and that game isn't due till DECEMBER.

Bottom line is, KK has got to do a better job at hyping this game, to the general gaming public.

Glok
29-07-04, 22:17
I checked the websites of CompUSA, BestBuy, Circuit City, and Amazon (!)... no luck. How the fuck am I going to get DoY? :wtf:

40$Poser
29-07-04, 22:20
I checked the websites of CompUSA, BestBuy, Circuit City, and Amazon (!)... no luck. How the fuck am I going to get DoY? :wtf:

download it or wait like probably 4 months until in possibly might get released in the states (or so it would appear)

All we can do is wait and see. Sadly that's the way things appear at this point in time.

Glok
29-07-04, 22:23
But Amazon has everything. If they don't have it, the situation here in the US is pretty fucking dire.

Yeah, I will download it, but there is a HUGE market in the states that KK/Big Ben are just throwing away. It doesn't make any sense. :confused:

Dirk_Gently
29-07-04, 22:26
Yup it doesn't appear to be on amazon.de either. :confused:

Also EVERYWHERE it is called "the add-on for Neocron".

Noldus
29-07-04, 22:27
it's the perfect way of milking more money off the existing player base :lol:

The current version is in such poor condition that it needs a total overhaul, so why not sell them "a new game" and increase the monthly charge...

That's why everything is so secret :p

Jimi
29-07-04, 22:32
It is a bit like the old Return to Castle Wolfenstein story. The first one was really bad. So subsequently when the second version actually rocked, it never became very popular despite being imho much better than a lot of equal type games on the market at the time. Whenever you mentioned that game, people would say, ah yea, I played the older one and did not like it, they did not even want to discuss the later version, their mind was made up. (and that was an ID Software game!)

Are you shitting me? Wolfenstein 3D, bad? It started the entire genre, the wave of games that eventually created RtCW, aswell as Doom, Doom2, Quake, Quake2, HL, UT/2k3/2k4 (just to mention a few) along the way. Without Wolfenstein 3D, we wouldn't be looking forward to the imminent release of Doom 3 and HL2, the pinnacle of what was started by Wolf3D all those years ago. Bad by todays standards? Of course. But just bad? No, and I don't know one person that didn't buy RtCW for the sole reason that they thought Wolf3D sucked.

40$Poser
29-07-04, 22:33
But Amazon has everything. If they don't have it, the situation here in the US is pretty fucking dire.

Yeah, I will download it, but there is a HUGE market in the states that KK/Big Ben are just throwing away. It doesn't make any sense. :confused:

indeed it fails to make any sense.

Dirk_Gently
29-07-04, 22:33
Are you shitting me? Wolfenstein 3D, bad? It started the entire genre, the wave of games that eventually created RtCW, aswell as Doom, Doom2, Quake, Quake2, HL, UT/2k3/2k4 (just to mention a few) along the way. Without Wolfenstein 3D, we wouldn't be looking forward to the imminent release of Doom 3 and HL2, the pinnacle of what was started by Wolf3D all those years ago. Bad by todays standards? Of course. But just bad? No, and I don't know one person that didn't buy RtCW for the sole reason that they thought Wolf3D sucked.

He said Return to Castle Wolfenstein not Wolfenstein 3D. And RtCW was tits till it got the expansion.

jernau
29-07-04, 22:53
He said Return to Castle Wolfenstein not Wolfenstein 3D. And RtCW was tits till it got the expansion.
I really enjoyed the single-player side of it. Never bothered with the multi-player much.

wrt NC2 - It really does look like we will see a localised launch in the EU only or more likely just Germany. Many other MMOs seem to take this route, especially if they don't espect huge numbers of subscribers, even some of the biggest ones.

My guess is KK learnt something from NC1 - concentrating on a smaller market is easier and more efficient. They have more than enough of a potential market in Germany to pay the bills and provide reasonable growth, so why risk going further afield at greater cost and risk?

I would be interested to hear from the German community whether any stores and sites there list it yet (amazon.de doesn't). It is of course possible (maybe even probable) that it will only be available from neocron.com though which would explain both the apparent tardiness in finding a publisher and the current marketing silence.