PDA

View Full Version : [OT] 1st Person RC car

Max Jefferson
28-07-04, 22:55
Completely unrelated to anything... :)

I managed to pick up one of these cool little wireless video cameras recently, as well as a little RC car from Argos... A few kawphys and pieces of cellotape later, I would like to present what I like to think is the world's most realistic driving simulator.

Picture 1: Left side of the car
Picture 2: Closeup of the car's video camera
Picture 3: Right side of the car, you can see the 9v battery that powers the camera taped to the back.

I had some great fun buzzing around the ground floor of my house through a little track I created, as well as hitting unsuspecting legs :). I taped small cardboard ramps to any lips between rooms so I could roam freely.

Future plans at the moment are to get a larger more powerful car that will hopefully be able to climb the ramp I plan to put on my stairs :)

Thoughts?

Vampire222
28-07-04, 22:57
ohnos, ford focus rally car... nerf nerf cool idea thou, gonna show any screens of it in action?

Max Jefferson
28-07-04, 22:59
ohnos, ford focus rally car... nerf nerf cool idea thou, gonna show any screens of it in action?Heh, best I could find for £7.99 :)

I'm trying to get a card for my computer so I can record from the receiver, when I do, I'll make some videos of my pitiful driving skills :)

Tratos
28-07-04, 23:14
If you do get a car powerful enough to go upstairs and rather crafty device could be made....

This would Require:

1x Swining torch bracett
1x Roll of gaffer tape
1x pint glass
1x person in the kitchen

Attaching the bracett to the car with the gaffer tape would be the first step then add your glass to the torch bracett once there the weight will keep the glass standing vertically at all times with its ability to swing... so down the stair ramp you go, shout down, stick me a drink in that please and then dirve your back... is it just me or am i genious...or just sad? lol

Because i want one, lol

Really cool idea, ive wanted to do somthing like this before and if possible go beyond the ground....remote control helicopter anyone? :) would be really cool to use and could be controlled from your PC.

Cant wait for the vids :D

hmm... get 2 or more making friends get them then race them and have onboard footage of the race, mintness, lol

ok i'll be quiet now :)

Great idea :D

Max Jefferson
28-07-04, 23:21
so down the stair ramp you go, shout down, stick me a drink in that please and then dirve your back... is it just me or am i genious...or just sad? lolSounds like a plan... My bedroom is on the ground floor, so I could create some sort of bottle holder device, and fetch beers from afar!

remote control helicopter anyone?Funny you should say that, I've already been looking into scoring a cheap one for some arial fun. Or maybe one of those floaty indoor blimp things, if I could get one to carry the camera's weight.

I'll post the videos as soon as I get my card :)

phunqe
29-07-04, 10:43
What range do you get on that wireless camera?

Dim
29-07-04, 11:37
You've got too much free time on your hands! :p

Original monk
29-07-04, 11:49
i like RC boats myself :)

i have a nice one and regularly take it out for some boating :P

thing im working on now is to put a detector on it so it can spot whats underneath the water :) (remote controlled fishfinder)

poor fish dont stand a chance nomore :P

but now i see this camera and i also want one lol, is it expensive and do ya have a decent distance ? and how does the receivingthingie works exactly ?

looks pretty intresting :)

ichinin
29-07-04, 12:07
Attach it to a helo and u can do some cool spying on your neighbours from 100 meters above their house :D

thing im working on now is to put a detector on it so it can spot whats underneath the water :) (remote controlled fishfinder)

Only problem with that is when you find the fish, they will be running away from the sound that the RC boat makes. But if u could make it quiet enough..

Birkoff
29-07-04, 12:12
Been there, done that... weirdly it was also on a focus :P still got it...

Was fun but gets boring quickly :P

Uplaod some"footage" :)

phunqe
29-07-04, 13:22

Rofl... I guess it could be more of a bikinifinder :lol: :lol:

EDIT: Ah damnit.. I thought it was about the halo :p I was thinking what the heck does he want to search for fish with a halo when there are much more important stuff :p

Max Jefferson
29-07-04, 13:55
I tested the range of the camera before I put it on the car, I was able to get about 100 feet out of it, but that was through some pretty thick walls. In a more open environment, like a helicopter, it would probably be farther.
The camera itself is pretty cheap, I picked up mine for about £22.

Ormy
29-07-04, 14:06
Where did you get a wireless video camera for £22? Quick google search, and everything remotely similar to that camera is in the 3 figure range and up.

eric-the-ded
29-07-04, 14:14
i've always wanted an RC helicopter....
until i played a psx game by shiny called Stunt Copter. it was designed to react realistically. they mapped the playstation's dual shock controller to match a real remote control as precisely as possible. like you were controlling a real RC copter. they even went out a bought RC copters to study their controls and responses.

it was fun, but... i crashed.
a lot.
if it were real i'd have gone through a few thousand dollars worth of RC copters.

Max Jefferson
29-07-04, 14:20
Where did you get a wireless video camera for £22? Quick google search, and everything remotely similar to that camera is in the 3 figure range and up.I've actually started a little business importing and selling these cameras, so if anyone wants one, let me know... I can get them for cheap. :D

As soon as my recording card arrives, I'll post some videos of me running into lots of walls :)

alig
29-07-04, 21:11
Heh. Look at my baby :D

Put it on that...its my babeh, but its worth like £800 as it is and its electric (£1500 - 2000 including all gear) but its fast ;), with a 12x3 turn motor it does about 55 - 65 mph and gets there in less than 2 seconds easy :D Im not only a pc nerd :cool: :p

Tratos
29-07-04, 22:33
65 mph :eek: thats one shit hot RC Car, i want one, lol

.hack//sign
29-07-04, 22:45
rofl Rc copters and plans are kickass...ive got an apache(spelling?) helo and a sweet bi-plane rc plane :lol: used to have a cool Rc car but it got run over :rolleyes:

Clive tombstone
29-07-04, 23:02
Only thing I have is a Zaggy (its a Neo-foam based flying wing plane) Loads of fun with that baby, nearly indestructible too^^, I practice using it like a kamikazi drone :D

been thinking it wouldnt be too hard to put ona those little cams on the plane itself, Best "flight sim" to date :D Woo! Cheap, effective, indestructable, I smell the new holdays hot toY!, ill be rich! 5 months later F*** im still poor :D

PS, wanna buy one of those camera's how much are they?

amfest
29-07-04, 23:20
Only thing I have is a Zaggy (its a Neo-foam based flying wing plane) Loads of fun with that baby, nearly indestructible too^^, I practice using it like a kamikazi drone :D

been thinking it wouldnt be too hard to put ona those little cams on the plane itself, Best "flight sim" to date :D Woo! Cheap, effective, indestructable, I smell the new holdays hot toY!, ill be rich! 5 months later F*** im still poor :D

PS, wanna buy one of those camera's how much are they?
the only thing is, that the cam might be destructable :D

Max Jefferson
30-07-04, 01:33
I'll sell em for £26 + shipping... PM me if anyone's interested :) Got some in stock at the moment, but will run out soon.

Clive tombstone
30-07-04, 08:21
ok, "how" do I pay? and what is a Euro=US dolars?