PDA

View Full Version : Anyone heard of Darkfall?

RayBob
28-07-04, 22:11
I did a search in the Neocron forums and found only one reference to this game in the English forums. It is a PvP focused MMORPG that is currently in internal beta testing. Unfortunately, it has a fantasy theme but the FAQs have some interesting info.

There is no leveling and a completely open-ended character system, i.e. anyone can use any weapon or spell. The focus is on “kingdom building, clan warfare, and conquest,” which makes it sound a lot like Shadowbane. There are 6 races but they seem more like factions with some being aligned, neutral, and hostile. There are no safe zones and anyone can attack anyone else at any time.

I can’t tell from the FAQs if the combat is twitch but it is described as… “fast paced and fun as a first person shooter.”

The forums are very active and have quite a few posts by the devs (always a good sign). 8|

Dirk_Gently
28-07-04, 22:15
There are some very good uns coming out.

However none will be as good as NC2 without an item wipe ;)

greendonkeyuk
28-07-04, 22:19
lol are we jus gonna get a month of item wipe quips or what now. :D

Dirk_Gently
28-07-04, 22:37
lol are we jus gonna get a month of item wipe quips or what now. :D

Hell Yeah!!!!!

RayBob
28-07-04, 22:43
Here's another odd upcoming game...

It's called Auto Assault, from the company that made Jumpgate. It is described as a “Massive Multiplayer Vehicular Combat Game set in a Post-Apocalyptic Future.” :lol:

Doc Holliday
28-07-04, 22:44
Hell Yeah!!!!!

Booooohhhh!!!!! SSssssssssssssssssss!!!!!!

RayBob
28-07-04, 22:59
Some interesting comments about Auto Assault from E3...

let's start with the imagery that comes most naturally when you think of [MMOGs]: An elfin sorceress. Let's say she's level six, with golden armor and a billowing white cape... Now, imagine that she gets torched by a gigantic flamethrower mounted to the top of a truck that runs over her, then turns into a giant robot and stomps her into elf-flavored paste. That's Auto Assault... Well, except for all the parts about there being an elf. She's not really in the game... It was AWESOME
Auto Assault caused quite a stir on the show floor

...this post-apocalyptic game of vehicular combat has me very excited for its release

...it's like taking "Mad Max" and combining it with EverQuest... It's an original idea that sure beats killing large rats in other online games

Imagine Diablo 2 with cars or Twisted Metal with weapons and you might, maybe, summon up a decent image

Things (both structures and other cars) "blowed up real good"... The game's Mad Max style of combat continues in the graphics... this game isn't going to be your typical MMORPG

Auto Assault hits the highway to fun in the MMP genre... lush graphics... solid sound track... players can have the joy of destroying the world time and again

...this was the best goddamn MMO game of E3... WHEN CAN WE PLAY?

Auto Assault looked like a ton of fun and a definite change from the other MMORPGs out there

...player vehicles are super vehicles. They are capable of sustaining and dishing out enormous amounts of damage, so you'll be regularly trashing "normal" looking cars all over the place.

Auto Assault lets you live out your Mad Max fantasies as you take on other players in a Havok physics engine enhanced world.

...it's a lot more interactive than what most everyone is used to, especially for an MMORPG

Visually, the art we've seen has been imaginative, and the screenshots impressive, making us even keener to know more

Car combat games are getting ready to move to the next level as Jumpgate developer NetDevil and publisher NCsoft are busy working on Auto Assault

Get ready boys, this one's a doozy... Graphically, the game is damn pretty... Be sure to keep an open eye on this baby

Graphically the game looks and plays like a champion. With everything being destructible and with customization and upgrade ability made a key part – the title just looks excellent

Overall Auto Assault is looking to be a very unique game, with focus on fun rather than statistics. The graphics are very good... I can see Auto Assault being a very big thing...

From what we've seen so far, you could probably describe Auto Assault succinctly by calling it a massively multiplayer Diablo on wheels

fast, furious and highly explosive... one of the most interactive environments ever to grace an MMO

Possessed
28-07-04, 23:09
The more I read about Darkfall the more interested I become... apparently there is going to be naval warfare aswell as sieges :eek:

XaNToR
28-07-04, 23:11
dont mention darkfall on the forums here.. thx

Valmur
28-07-04, 23:13
I have not heard, I don't want to hear.
Neocron is my all and everything online.

Dirk_Gently
28-07-04, 23:39
Darkfall is Fantasy so I won't be playing it.

I hate having Monks in NC, I just couldn't cope with fecking fairies and wizards.

Tratos
28-07-04, 23:47
Untill there is another MMO with FPS combat and is either Future/Sci-Fi/Post Apoc i'll be here i guess i HATE fantasy well i can put up with fantasy aslong as its FPS as Morrowind was teh win in my opinion.

So i doubt i'll be going to darkfall, sounds interesting though as does the vehicle one.

Oh and before anyone suggests the game which shall not be named ive had a look into it and just doest seem my cup of tea

RayBob
29-07-04, 01:11
I can’t tell from the FAQs if the combat is twitch but it is described as… “fast paced and fun as a first person shooter.”I have been doing a little reading on their forums and found an interesting thread entitled "To twitch or not to twitch."

Here is an interesting post...

It's been said over and over again in interviews, on this board and in IRC that DarkFall will have a FPS style to its combat. That doesn't necessarily mean that character skill will not matter or that spells and abilities cannot be like good old EQ's way of doing things, but it does mean that DF will have a FPS style to its combat. I imagine that the majority of offensive spells and abilities require players to aim their shots like a FPS rather than target and fire like EQ. Support spells and abilities like heals and buffs will likely be target and fire like EQ instead of aim and fire like a FPS. If you aren't good at aiming, and you don't want to learn how to aim, then you probably will never do well at individual combat and will be left filling the support roles like group healer/buffer or clan crafter/farmer.

There are plenty of games that non-twitch friendly and only very, very few MMORPGs that support FPS qualities. So I see it as a step up.

I am not a fan of fantasy-themed MMOs but it is interesting to see more games adopt a FPS style of combat. I am particularly impressed with the fact that there is no leveling and no classes. The focus is on the end-game and not on the character development and leveling process.

Richard Slade
29-07-04, 09:29
[COLOR=DarkOrange]
Imagine Diablo 2 with cars or Twisted Metal with weapons and you might, maybe, summon up a decent image

O_o That isn't the hardest thing to imagine....

Benjie
29-07-04, 09:39
Diablo 2 with cars? :confused:
Would there be contact damage? :rolleyes:

I'd love to log onto a Hell Game in Diablo 2 and drive around act 5 running over Baahls minions of destruction in a Ferrari F50. :p

Richard Slade
29-07-04, 09:40
Diablo 2 with cars? :confused:
Rather trying to imagine Twisted Metal with weapons.....

Benjie
29-07-04, 09:43
Rather trying to imagine Twisted Metal with weapons.....
I'm sorry but this is making me laugh so hard!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
He obviously got them mixed up, but the prospect of driving around Act 1 in a white van running over fallen ones sends me into fits of laughter!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

phunqe
29-07-04, 09:47
let's start with the imagery that comes most naturally when you think of [MMOGs]: An elfin sorceress. Let's say she's level six, with golden armor and a billowing white cape... Now, imagine that she gets torched by a gigantic flamethrower mounted to the top of a truck that runs over her, then turns into a giant robot and stomps her into elf-flavored paste.

Lol, I would try that game out based solely on that sentence :D

RayBob
29-07-04, 09:49
Lol, I would try that game out based solely on that sentence :D :D Auto Assault is still a while away but it is nice to see the industry coming up with some interesting MMOG alternatives to the overdone fantasy themes.

Richard Slade
29-07-04, 10:09
Not to be really bitchy but ok for trying to imagine diablo with cars.
That's one thing,
but trying to imagine Twisted Metal with either cars OR weapons, isn't THAT hard
SINCE IT'S A DRIVING GAME WITH WEAPONS!!!
wtf... O_o

Noodle
29-07-04, 10:14
Not to be really bitchy but ok for trying to imagine diablo with cars.
That's one thing,
but trying to imagine Twisted Metal with either cars OR weapons, isn't THAT hard
SINCE IT'S A DRIVING GAME WITH WEAPONS!!!
wtf... O_o

lol, we get the idea...

Endar
29-07-04, 10:40
Nah, I dont think any other MMORPG could have the same feeling and be so addictive as Neocron. I tryied Anarchy Online but it only made me sleepy and bored...

BTW Valmur, you got one awesome sig there :D Cant help thinking tho, have you borrowed the "lion heart thing" from FF8 and edited it? It somehow looks like it O_o

notneo
29-07-04, 15:47
i think i could name 4-5 games that do look interesting but i am still loyal to nc,only checking other options in case of the dreaded badger badger mushroom

aaargh i mean wipe !!!!!!!!