PDA

View Full Version : [BRAINPORT] Custom Built Armor

Soothsayer
28-07-04, 07:31
First order of business would be to remove all store bought armor execpt for the Crahn types. Next, create armor type 'templates' and give them all a six part build list based on target tech level ie five armor part 1's would yield the lowest TL type. The sixth part would be the type signifier ie. pants, boots, etc. which would be available at Cryton's. OK, let's take the five armor part 1's and toss them in processor with the vest signifier. What would be produced would be something equivalent to a basic kevlar vest.

What about resists? Well, by itself, the built armor would automatically have force and piercing. To add resists, you would need additional ingredients that would add a set amount of a specific resist type. If you wanted to add fire resist to the kevlar vest, you would need a mob drop item added to the build. That would be five armor part 1's, a vest signifier, and , oh, say tufts of hair from a mutant. The amount of resist would be dependant on how many tufts of hair you placed in the processor (up to 6, naturally). Each mob drop item could be assigned a resist value (even force and pierce), and can be added into the processor in any combination, for example, the above kevlar vest build could be made with a tuft of hair, a small cable, and an insect eye to produce a vest that has fire, energy, and poison resists built in.

Right now, there are five different types of mob drop items: recycle junk, small junk, medium junk, large junk, and special junk. Recycle junk won't be used for determining resists, and the remaining junk items would be given a resist value based on availability and value. The tech level of the armor being made would also affect the junk item used to add resists. You wouldn't be able to use medium, large, or special junk to make a low tech level piece of armor.

Any armor made the way I detailed above would come out with a strength requirement for use.

What about the belts that are intelligence based? How about tossing in some dexterity based armor? Sure thing. There would be an additional signifier needed to produce high level only dexterity based armor, and two additional signifiers (one for tech level) for intelligence based belts. The last three spaces left in the processor for a belt build could only be filled by items with the same resist type (eg. three large limbs for top end fire resist). Power armor could also be built this way. Just toss in the five armor parts, a PA class signifier (GenTank) along with a bonus type signifier (Heavy Combat). Power armor could have a specific build list in order to fix the resist setup.

This system could easily be balanced because the resists that are added depend on how many free spaces are available in the processor. If an item should have less resist potential, it could require more armor parts or signifiers to build. It could also be modified to reduce the base force and pierce totals depending on how many additional resist items are added, and on how many different types. The force and piercing resists for a base model helmet would be greater than one made with one fire resist item added, and in turn that helmet would be greater than one made with six fire resist items added. A helmet built with more than 2 resist types added would have severly reduced force and pierce resists, if any at all.

Sound good so far? Here's the fun part.

Each mob drop item would not be assigned a set value, but a value potential. Tufts of hair would be given the value potential of, say 1-5. If a constructor were to build the kevlar vest mentioned above and add 5 tufts of hair, he has the potential of producing a vest with 6-30 points of fire protection. The resist totals could also be regulated by a system of diminishing returns so that one tuft of hair would equal 1-5, 6 tufts of hair would be 5-20. Minimum or maximum values could be set for special armor types by the signifiers used to make them. For example, to make a low tech level poison belt, the constructor would need 3 entrails which would normally have a resist potential of say 9-24. The belt signifier would automatically fix the minimum value at 15. This system would be mostly random, and would yield different results each time for the same build.

Quality would be based on the skill of the constructor with artifact being the equivalent of 5 slots. The constructor could even get their name on the armor produced at artifact quality.

With this system, there are ALOT of opportunities for customization. If armor becomes visable in BDoY, the type signifier could change the appearance of the armor depending on where it was purchased, ie. types bought in the Canyon would appear differently than ones bought at Tech Haven. You could even have faction specific signifiers made available to those who have completed the epic run, making the items built with them have a faction requirement.

What about the drop only armor type? Have the mobs that would normally drop the armor drop a special signifier instead, or even better, a rare junk part that could be used add special resist setups to armor parts (all the empty spaces in the processor would need to be filled with the rare junk item).

Overall, I think that this system of constructing armor would add a whole new depth to the game's economy, as well as allowing more flexibility in protection for all classes.

All the values that I have mentioned are only examples and would have to be set by the developers to ensure balance.

Clive tombstone
28-07-04, 07:37
GREAT idea, the costumization of armor is pricless. I think it owuld character personalizations even GREATER. you have my full support

StryfeX
28-07-04, 07:53
Hell yes. 5 stars.

--Stryfe

TheGreatMilenko
28-07-04, 08:20
not gonna read that because its to big but customizable armor wouldnt really work its just like adding new armor

Soothsayer
28-07-04, 08:40
not gonna read that because its to big but customizable armor wouldnt really work its just like adding new armor

There's two seconds of my life I'll never get back. :rolleyes:

It wouldn't be adding new armor, it would be changing the existing way of making armor.

TheGreatMilenko
28-07-04, 08:45
There's two seconds of my life I'll never get back. :rolleyes:

It wouldn't be adding new armor, it would be changing the existing way of making armor.
boring

p.sn im typing with my toe :lol: :lol:

Mr Kot
28-07-04, 19:05
sounds reasonable for high lvl characters, but what about the poor noobs who barely know where the shops are, and don't know anybody?

hivemind
28-07-04, 19:17
Buncha really good stuff.
MJS, dude, give this guy a job. Buy him and Lupus an apartment with a T-1 connected to your offices and turn them loose.

Some more mindless meaningless babble
Dude, do you ever shut up? The correct order of operations is: 1. Engage brain 2. Open pie-hole. That first part is essential. This is a great idea, if you're too lazy or ADD-addled to read it then just don't comment.

sounds reasonable for high lvl characters, but what about the poor noobs who barely know where the shops are, and don't know anybody?
That's what guides, in-game help, and fan sites are for.

Awesome idea. Far better than anything of mine. Well, except for the idea I had to delete monks. :eek: 5 stars.

Opar
28-07-04, 19:22
Dude, do you ever shut up? The correct order of operations is: 1. Engage brain 2. Open pie-hole. That first part is essential. This is a great idea, if you're too lazy or ADD-addled to read it then just don't comment.

I whole heartedtly agree :p. And Milenko, if you were REALLY typing with your tow, how did you get the :lol: smiley? :wtf:

Anyway, nice idea on the armour, maybe there could be like 'rare inredients' which were only obtainable from boss mobs....