PDA

View Full Version : Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy Trailer

Possessed
28-07-04, 00:25
http://hitchhikermovie.free.fr/trailer_hitchhikers.avi
Knowing that a lot of people on this forum are Douglas Adams fans I thought I would post this....

('tis 8.7 mb)

Jest
28-07-04, 00:26
Yah saw it on /. and while it doesnt reveal much, Im excited to see it. (Even though Ive never read the book I still know a lot about it :p )

Dribble Joy
28-07-04, 00:28
(Even though Ive never read the book I still know a lot about it :p )
BLASPHEMER!!

Jest
28-07-04, 00:29
BLASPHEMER!!Yah I know. Im gonna try and read it before the movie comes out. ;)

landofcake
28-07-04, 00:30
WOW !!! i didn't know they were making a film !!!

H2G2 is probably my favourite book :D

Possessed
28-07-04, 00:31
Yah saw it on /. and while it doesnt reveal much, Im excited to see it. (Even though Ive never read the book I still know a lot about it :p )
Don't wait... GO READ IT NOW!!!!!! If you don't you will never know how utterly cool digital watches are!!!!!

Hm, that's probably my main fear for the movie =/ it'll be hard to get across in pictures alot of Adam's humour, I just hope that the movie doesn't butcher yet another great book:(

Lexxuk
28-07-04, 00:58
didnt they have a tv series out a few years back on hitchhikers? cause i do remember seeing an image of a race of aliens comin to earth, landing and getting eaten by a dog O_o

Dribble Joy
28-07-04, 00:59
There was indeed, my mate has the dvd, havn't seen it though.

I still haven't read So long and thanks for all the fish.

Possessed
28-07-04, 01:04
I still haven't read So long and thanks for all the fish.
Sadly, it isn't as good as the first few books in the series :(

Lexxuk
28-07-04, 01:06
i've never really been enticed into readin hitchhikers

when I was a kid (seriously, like 8 years old or something) I was reading Issac Asimov and Arthur C Clarke and PG Woodhouse too, then thru the years, Clive Cussler, Terry Pratchett, Clive Barker, Stephen King, Peter Straub, but my main loves always been hardcore sci-fi.

Its funny though, I'll re-read a book by clarke or asimov and think "hey, i read this years ago, but i actually understand it now :D" and I remember one time in primary school (year 3) I got an A in an English test by describing electromagnetic interference for a english essay :D teacher was like "wtf? how you know that?" :lol: :lol:

Possessed
28-07-04, 01:15
I always reread good books that I really like (especially the books that I really enjoyed) because there is just so much stuff in them that it is hard to get it all the first time (especially when you were younger). I first read LoTR when I was 9, and when I reread it two years ago I was just amazed at all of the detail, the large portions of the plot that I had missed the first time.

Lexxuk
28-07-04, 01:17
a good book i read, lots of times, was the Talisman, by stephen king and peter straub, now, king's endings are about as weak as tea made with a 5 year old used tea bag, and straub style, i didnt like much, but together on this book, its a masterpiece of writting, highly recommended.

as well as inca gold by clive cussler (its what got me addicted so i now own the entire dirk pitt series ;))

Dribble Joy
28-07-04, 01:18
Read any of Iain M. Banks' Culture novels?

Lexxuk
28-07-04, 01:20
nope, dont even recognise the name, probably the "culture" thing puts me off, i dont like culture :p

-REMUS-
28-07-04, 01:39
My favourite charecter has to be Paranoid Android, sits there for eon's getting more and more cynical :D

Cant be arsed to download the trailer but I know it will be good.

alypaa
28-07-04, 01:54
Heh funny how they put 42 into the trailer. :) I loved that one.

Mr_Snow
28-07-04, 02:25
Heh funny how they put 42 into the trailer. :) I loved that one.

Yeah noticed that too, it was a nice touch.

Unfortunately I really dont think they will be able to capture the humour of the books as alot of the funniest bits were in the form of little side anicdotes and I dont think you will be able to include them in a film without bewildering anybody who hasnt read the books.

jernau
28-07-04, 03:09
Unfortunately I really dont think they will be able to capture the humour of the books as alot of the funniest bits were in the form of little side anicdotes and I dont think you will be able to include them in a film without bewildering anybody who hasnt read the books.
Exactly. Much as I love the radio play, books, records, games, TV show..... I can't summon any enthusiasm for this particular incarnation.

ichinin
28-07-04, 03:15
EDIT: What codec is it?

First ever moment with HHG2TG was the infogames text game on the Amiga.. remember starting laughing when Ford manipulated the guy with the bulldozer :D

Wallen
28-07-04, 09:24
YES! That is THE greatest series of books of all time, though Adams does seem to go off into the deep end in the final couple of books.
My other favorite book is Ender's Game (forget the author, and it's two feet away from me, damn I'm lazy), I consider it a must-read for anyone who claims to like sci-fi.

Morpheous
28-07-04, 09:38
It's DivX Codec, and its good. Note the 42 in the top left corner at the end... :)

Headlined on Slashdot too

Wallen
28-07-04, 09:56
Lol, just read an article on Wikipedia; it turns out if you type "answer to life the universe and everything" in google it says answer to life the universe and everything=42 at the top of the page.

G.0.D.
28-07-04, 11:12
Liked the books, but that trailer told me absolutly NOTHING about the movie... its kind of hard to get excited over a 30 secound title shot :(

notneo
28-07-04, 12:49
actaully five books in the trilogy of books(lol)

the hitch hikers guide to the galaxy

the restruant the end of the universe

life the universe and everything

so long and thanks for all the fish

mostly harmless

Wallen
28-07-04, 22:06
Anyone ever read The Salmon of Thought? I think it was by Adams, but if it wasn't then it had to do with Hitchhiker's Guide in some way...

greendonkeyuk
28-07-04, 22:13
so theres 5 books to get? ive never read it but i plan to buy it soon, that and neuromancer which i heard rocks too.

ok so 3 neuromancer books and 5 hhtg (or whatever the abbreviation is). Wow a lot of books. :)

Possessed
28-07-04, 22:16
Remember that Neuromancer is part of a trilogy (it goes Neuromancer --> Count Zero --> Mona Lisa Overdrive (which I'm just finishing myself)).

We need a book thread.

Saza
28-07-04, 23:45
Lemony Snicket and A Series of Unfortunate Events owns u :p

As does the Artemis Fowl (Eoin Colfer) books, any books by Garth Nix, and Anthony Horowitz's Alex Rider series...

Terry Pratchet can also write one hell of a book (esp. Discworld). Timothy Zahn's Star Wars books are an amazing read too, in my opinion they are better than the films.

Edit:

We need a book thread.
I second this motion.

Napalm82
28-07-04, 23:48
Im looking forward to the movie...

i've read evey book he made.

HGTTG: a triology in 5 parts
Dirk Gently
The salmon of all doubt
Last chance to see

And some more i forgot the names of

Wallen
29-07-04, 00:46
Is there like an introductory book to Neuromancer or something? Because the way it is written it seems like the author assumes you know about everything they are talking about already, which really bugs me because I have to sit and figure it out every time they introduce something new, which is sometimes impossible.
I gave up on that book about a third of the way through.

jernau
29-07-04, 03:01
so theres 5 books to get? ive never read it but i plan to buy it soon, that and neuromancer which i heard rocks too.

ok so 3 neuromancer books and 5 hhtg (or whatever the abbreviation is). Wow a lot of books. :)If I were you I'd start by getting the radio-play (the net is a great thing ;)). That was the original and in many ways the best and most complete version of the main story.

Then get the first three books. They tell basically the same story but in a subtly differerent way.

Then take a pause and just be impressed for a few months. After that read the other two books. It isn't that they are bad, they just don't work together as well as the rest and are worth thinking of seperately.

Salmon Of Doubt is a posthumous anthology of short stories and ramblings (some published, some not). Mostly it's a shameless cash-in as long-term fans probably already owned all the good bits and the casual reader won't get a thing from it.

@wallen - Not AFAIK. That's just how he tries to immerse you in it. A lot of authors do it. Dune (great book) and Clockwork Orange (drivel) for example.

notneo
29-07-04, 15:57
neuromancer 3 books??? more i think if you are referring to the cyperpunk works of willaim gibson

mm lets think

neuromacer

countzero

mona lisa overdrive

idoru

all tommorows parties

have i missed any?? in the series??

Possessed
29-07-04, 19:59
Neuromancer, Count Zero and Mona Lisa Overdrive do make a trilogy (the Sprawl series).

See (http://www.antonraubenweiss.com/gibson/gibson1.html)
Like you said though, he has written other books in the same setting, but you missed Burning Chrome, Virtual Light and the Difference Engine (which he wrote with someone else).

We really need a book thread :o

Wallen
29-07-04, 23:18
@Jernau- Yeah, I liked it in Dune, there it worked. I just couldn't seem to wrap my head around it in 'mancer. Oh well.

jernau
29-07-04, 23:41
@Jernau- Yeah, I liked it in Dune, there it worked. I just couldn't seem to wrap my head around it in 'mancer. Oh well.
Herbert did it a lot better IMO.

StryfeX
29-07-04, 23:44
Lol, just read an article on Wikipedia; it turns out if you type "answer to life the universe and everything" in google it says answer to life the universe and everything=42 at the top of the page.I'll give you a cookie if you can tell me the question that goes with the ultimate answer. ;)

--Stryfe

Wallen
30-07-04, 03:21
Well, the made up question is "How many roads must a man walk down?", but that was made up by those super-beings whose physical representation in our universe is mice.
But the answer that Dent comes up is "What is six times nine?" which he discovers by randomly putting pieces on a scrabble board. But the whole question process is screwed up in the first place because the computer to calculate the answer was Earth, and those Aliens came to Earth and killed all the natives.
So the "real" answer is "What is six times nine?" which actually doesn't work unless you multiply them in base thirteen, which Adam's didn't realize when he was writing it.

Ok, cookie to whoever can tell me the secret of flying?

StryfeX
30-07-04, 03:46
Well, the made up question is "How many roads must a man walk down?", but that was made up by those super-beings whose physical representation in our universe is mice.
But the answer that Dent comes up is "What is six times nine?" which he discovers by randomly putting pieces on a scrabble board. But the whole question process is screwed up in the first place because the computer to calculate the answer was Earth, and those Aliens came to Earth and killed all the natives.
So the "real" answer is "What is six times nine?" which actually doesn't work unless you multiply them in base thirteen, which Adam's didn't realize when he was writing it.

Ok, cookie to whoever can tell me the secret of flying?Bravo!

Missing the ground. ;)

--Stryfe

Wallen
31-07-04, 03:03
Bravo!

Missing the ground. ;)

--Stryfe

w00t. Yeah, I'm re-reading the books now, mostly so I can see how much they change in the movie :D

Dribble Joy
31-07-04, 03:04
Ok, cookie to whoever can tell me the secret of flying?
To fall to the ground and miss it.