PDA

View Full Version : Make Buffs and Drugs last longer.

Duder
26-07-04, 21:24
Simple, make buffs and drugs last longer. High level buffs override lesser ones and drugs such as Redflash for example overrides Whiteflash, etc etc.

Examples

Shelter lasts - 30 Minutes

Blessed Shelter, will override Shelter- 45 Minutes

Holy Shelter, wil override Blessed and Normal Shelter - 1 Hour

Drone Combat lasts 1 - 1 Hour

Drone Combat 2 - 1 Hour 30 Minutes

Drone Combat 3 - 2 Hours

Paratemol lasts - 30 Minutes

If you use Paratemol Forte, it overrides Paratemol - Lasts 1 Hour 30 Minutes

Thyronol lasts - 30 minutes

If you use X-Strong, it overrides Thyronol - Lasts 1 Hour 30 Minutes

If you use Beast, it overrides X-Strong - Lasts 2 Hours

With these drug times as now, the fuzzy screen is too much and the 3, 5 minute advantage is just too little.

Well?

Genty
26-07-04, 21:27
Increased perhaps, however not by the amount you stated, thats going a little too far. No drug should last longer than 30 mins and no buff for longer than 15. IMO anyway. The overriding buffs is an idea that has been said before, not too sure of it still, good in some respects but not others....don't think drugs should overide each other.

cRazy2003
26-07-04, 21:28
thats a hella lotta increased times :wtf:
it wouldnt be so bad if you were talking in neocron time, and if u are it isnt to bad then :p

Duder
26-07-04, 21:30
Hmm, but why? Your opinion is all fine and dandy, but no explanation makes its pretty hard for me to understand whats wrong you know.

Magic Sausage
26-07-04, 21:37
OMG 1 hour...

I just don't know what to say...

Its a little far fetched if you ask me man...

That would be going from 5 mins to 1 hour...

PPU times 12... Nope I can't agree with this.

Genty
26-07-04, 21:39
Hmm, but why? Your opinion is all fine and dandy, but no explanation makes its pretty hard for me to understand whats wrong you know.

The reason I don't think drugs should overide is because I feel you should be able to take what you want and get the max boostage you want from how ever many drugs you wish to take, if people are willing to take a crash and burn kind of thing when the effects happen. Allowing more variable setups to be created.

As for the length, I just don't think anything drug like should realistically last longer than 30 mins. Anything much longer and it may aswell be a perminant gain for a player. (2 hours is a long time).

As for buffs, the reason I don't feel they should last longer than 15 mins is that aspect of the game (making sure your buffs are up) would be lost, it would create a much simpler gameworld where you have less to do. I just feel buffs should not last 2 hours.

As for overriding buffs, undecided.

Duder
26-07-04, 21:46
I see, but for me micromanaging my buffs does not make the game. Also in an OP war, theres nothing more annoying then sheltering everyone every 2 minutes. Also when they keep asking about stat buffs aswell, people get pissed. PPUs that is.

For me, deemphasizing the micromanagement would give players more free thought to think about something else, or help his team mates instead of spaming in team chat "NED SHELTER/DEFLECTOR PLZ LOL" and just stand there not doing anything.

As for drugs, ok i agree the time are "a bit" overkill. A little bit.

Prodigious
26-07-04, 21:47
override buffs, sure, override drugs, no, cos i use redflash AND whiteflash, and since you can use them at the same time whats the point in them overriding?

im more than up for drug increase time, but i think shelter/deflector would only need a minor boost. +50% i think would be sensible for buffs, maybe +100% for drugs, even that may be a little extreme

Shadow Dancer
26-07-04, 21:53
Duder, please tell me this is one of your wacky threads that are made in jest.

Please?

Jest
26-07-04, 21:57
I can never tell if Duder is being serious or not any more and I feel stupid if I make a serious comment on a purposefully sarcastic post. :lol: So Ill just say this, even in a sarcastic post, a 30 minute long shelter is a sucky idea. :p

greendonkeyuk
26-07-04, 22:05
id love to see buff times increased above what they are now as i do agree with duders reasoning (whether sarcastic or not), but no more than double what they are now.

Duder
26-07-04, 22:06
No no no LOL i want buffs to last longer so i dont need to run away from PP 1 and its so boring and when i use drugs i go like wtf and then i get flash and im like omg this is soo not cool and then and then i run out and then the guy im fighting goes lol you suk and i go o rly and then i heal up and then i shelter and then i out deflector and then i heal and that takes like 1 minutes and then and then i use new drugs and heal abit more and then i run about for 2 minutes and then i FRE and die thats like not fun you know also when everyone goes "s/d plz" or "give me long buffs" every 2 minutes i want to say get your own ppu you know lol it makes me mad and im about to break

mood: angry http://neocron2.jafc.de/images/smilies/old/mad.gif

listening to: Linkin Park - One Step Closer

Honestly i really thought longer buffs (Ok not an hour then, maybe highest 30 minutes) would help the PPUs with the problem of buffing masses of people and making people more bold as their buffs last pretty long, more action, less headache and less idiots spaming team chats (like me). Guess ill keep spamming and having the "omg so deep" 2 minute buffs.

cRazy2003
26-07-04, 22:08
the point is for example if theres a OP fight the ppus could buff everyone then walk off for a pint for all they care, without having to heal of course.

Duder
26-07-04, 22:13
the point is for example if theres a OP fight the ppus could buff everyone then walk off for a pint for all they care, without having to heal of course. Yeah who cares about team play and PPUs when they are being shoved in our anuses every 30 seconds and the only way to hold your ground or swipe the floor with your enemies blood is by PPUs buffing and trying to keep your health in good condition.

Also, sounds like a great clan there.

Shadow Dancer
26-07-04, 22:15
Duder I see your point, but 30 mins? Jesus. An apu could ask for a quick shelter, then run around and PK by himself with a holy shelter for a whopping 30 mins. 8|

cRazy2003
26-07-04, 22:15
Yeah who cares about team play and PPUs when they are being shoved in our anuses every 30 seconds and the only way to hold your ground or swipe the floor with your enemies blood is by PPUs buffing and trying to keep your health in good condition.

Also, sounds like a great clan there.

sure does dont it
im up to the idea for an increase, but increasing it up to an hour is FAR to much.

Dezerter
26-07-04, 22:16
How about we make the "long buffs" 3 hours long, rename PPU's to doctors and then we can buy buffs from the Doctors..

oh, this isn't SWG, is it :/

Duder
26-07-04, 22:18
OK then we agree that extending the length of the buffs sounds fine, but the amount can be discussed. OK, 15 Minutes for the shelters and 30 minutes for the stat buffs then?

As for drugs, 2 minutes for redflash sounds fine, cant have people using them for 5 minutes can we? Eh, eh, heeeeh yeeeeah.

oh, this isn't SWG, is it No, but Neocron has more and more during the years(?) evolved into fun mmorpg into an "almost there, just need to rename PSI monks to Wizards and Clerics" everquest clone morpg.

QuantumDelta
26-07-04, 22:35
I'm with Genty, to be honest.

Though I would ask for a rezz reduction (cast time) to make sure you can change buffs without having to wait a year.

In general, most definately, a 50-100% increase in buff/drug time would be wonderful.

Ramzi
26-07-04, 22:38
no don't increase drugs because then everyone will use them.

even 10 min drugs are a hassle and if someone like me is willing to go through that hassle for the boost they give then we should be rewarded.

i dont want every single person in the game drugging and not giving a fuck for 30 minutes.

also, drugs overriding? wtf lololol kekeke

they already ruined my set up once by changing the psi drugs + beast, don't ruin it again.

alig
26-07-04, 22:39
Id agree about high lvl boosts overiding low lvl ones but no fucking way holy shelter/def overide one someone else casts on you.

Edit/ Them times are just stupid, that would totally obliterate the idea of "hybrid" and would just screw the game up.

Noodle
26-07-04, 22:42
10 minute holy heals would be excellent too, while were at it ;)

QuantumDelta
26-07-04, 22:43
10 minute holy heals would be excellent too, while were at it ;)
Heal duration directly effects how much heals actually heal per tick.

Notable when you crouch.

You heal the same amount of HP when you crouch, as you do, when you're standing, but when you're standing, you heal faster.

alig
26-07-04, 22:45
Heal duration directly effects how much heals actually heal per tick.

Notable when you crouch.

You heal the same amount of HP when you crouch, as you do, when you're standing, but when you're standing, you heal faster.

That just isnt true, proove it...i can tell there is a difference crouched than standing with heal on any of my chars.

Edit/ I've already gone to the trouble of doing it :p

From left to right : pic 1 = life from set kill : pic 2 = life after heal stood up : pic 3 = life from crouching and healing from set killing.

Doc Holliday
26-07-04, 22:48
That just isnt true, proove it...i can tell there is a difference crouched than standing with heal on any of my chars.

I think hes right qd. tank heal works best crouched.

greendonkeyuk
26-07-04, 23:15
no don't increase drugs because then everyone will use them.

even 10 min drugs are a hassle and if someone like me is willing to go through that hassle for the boost they give then we should be rewarded.

omg dude wow how did you ever discover the idea of using drugs, wow youre so l337, i never thought of that. Come on man get real. I would guess that at least 75% BARE MINIMUM of people who play use at least one drug or another. Cant you see that this idea would actually BENEFIT you and both the other 2 people who cottoned on to the fact that drugs are good mmmkay.

double the drug times and im happy.

Rade
26-07-04, 23:22
Buff durations in this game is a joke compared to other games, most mmorpgs
would laugh at the notion of a buff duration as low as 10 mins on any spell.
Tbh I have yet to decide wether its good or bad. I used to think that we
should have something like 30 min durations on drugs/boosters and 10 min
duration on S/D but Im not 100% sure. Less stress for PEs and PPUs could be
a good thing, then they could be thoroughly balanced by other means
instead.

Yeah I think I like it still.

Doc Holliday
26-07-04, 23:27
omg dude wow how did you ever discover the idea of using drugs, wow youre so l337, i never thought of that. Come on man get real. I would guess that at least 75% BARE MINIMUM of people who play use at least one drug or another. Cant you see that this idea would actually BENEFIT you and both the other 2 people who cottoned on to the fact that drugs are good mmmkay.

hes from crc. nuff said

Twitch
26-07-04, 23:32
hes from crc. nuff said

you're from the vibrators. nuff said

LTA
26-07-04, 23:32
I am in two mind states, i would love my shelter to last but tbh take the recasting of these and the ppu has a massive battle reduction and he can suddenly start para spamming, heal spamming dmg boost.

No-one is gonna worry bout buffs cuz you get a nice lengthy time.

As for drugs, well i dunno

Rade
26-07-04, 23:34
I am in two mind states, i would love my shelter to last but tbh take the recasting of these and the ppu has a massive battle reduction and he can suddenly start para spamming, heal spamming dmg boost.

Well, if you dont really have to worry about them dropping then PPUs can be
properly balanced instead of relying on luck and the fact that PPUs usually
just get bullied and get huge amounts of stress until they mess up and die. I
think most people would like PPUs to be a bit easier to play even if it made
them less powerfull.

Doc Holliday
26-07-04, 23:38
you're from the vibrators. nuff said

come again? Insults are fun if they contain intellect or wit somewhere within them. the above quote has neither.

LTA
26-07-04, 23:39
Well, if you dont really have to worry about them dropping then PPUs can be
properly balanced instead of relying on luck and the fact that PPUs usually
just get bullied and get huge amounts of stress until they mess up and die. I
think most people would like PPUs to be a bit easier to play even if it made
them less powerfull.
If they were made less powerfull i wouldn't mind, but atm i rely on ppu fuckups half the time to actually hurt people, knowing there buffs ain't dsropping suddenly makes me require a apu or sh spy everytime i fight a buffed person, unless i have a ppu but then i think it will become battle of the tl3 or something silleh

Twitch
26-07-04, 23:46
come again? Insults are fun if they contain intellect or wit somewhere within them. the above quote has neither.

neither did yours. all you said was "he's from crc. nuff said."

very clever champ.

Ramzi
26-07-04, 23:49

ohhh so everyone else on saturn uses 2 drugs minimum just so their armor stays on and can cast spells that they rely on for defense?

k

btw lol i don't neg rep people just cuz i'm an insecure person, like yourself.

QuantumDelta
27-07-04, 09:11
if KK hasn't changed PPU damage back to random you can test it.

Last time I checked, PPU damage was random, though I honestly can't tell which it's on at the moment, I'm sure Carinth could inform you.

Simply put;

DoT "Damage", as with all other psi buffs, lasts 1.5 times longer when crouched, however, does not do more damage over the entire course of the DoT.

The Psychological effect of the DoT lasting longer, has, since beta 3, made people think that if you crouch, you Heal, or take more damage from DoT.

Not True.
Old Wives Tale.

Tostino
27-07-04, 23:22
5 min for S/D and 15 for long buff's

seraphian
27-07-04, 23:28
as much as I hate to say this, I think that SWG handles buffs MUCH better than NC... a good dancer buff can last for 2 hours.

It keeps players form having to have PPUs (or in this case, dancers) up their ass at all times, and it makes tradeskill buffs viable for prolonged levelling tradeskilling.

IRL no one would take a powerful stimulant that lasts an hour... except maybe as a social drug. No, the ones that are used by the military for example, like 4-methyl-aminorex and dexedrine last 12 to 24 hours... no way should destrosol (the NC equivilent of Dexedrine) last for only 2 or so game hours (12 minutes give or take a bit)...

my solution to drug combinations would be to add 'overdose' effects to people that overuse to avoid flash.

Doc Holliday
27-07-04, 23:36
neither did yours. all you said was "he's from crc. nuff said."

very clever champ.

r u too dumb to figure it out then twitch. :rolleyes: i even got pos rep from that last quote. how hot am i. before u bother to reply im now going to add u back on to ignore. my curiosity got the better of me but i wont let that happen again. :cool:

Tomalak
27-07-04, 23:42
Duder I see your point, but 30 mins? Jesus. An apu could ask for a quick shelter, then run around and PK by himself with a holy shelter for a whopping 30 mins. 8|

That could almost be fun :)
Betcha all the APU's like the idea :p

Drugs are bad.

joran420
27-07-04, 23:45
in most other MMO's high lvl buffs do last longer....

Sleawer
27-07-04, 23:49
Mixed feelings. The least I'd want in this game is buffbots, however I can see your point suggesting longer durations, and I agree with it.

I'm gonna suggest a tweak for some of your points, if you don't mind.

Shelter/Deflector durations increased to your times - if both collapse after certain ammount of damage taken. This would prevent players with two accounts, logging their PPUs to cast a shield every hour. Also rewards players with dodging skills.

Buffs durations... well the effects are not as noticiable as S/D, so the abuse is less likely to happen. Yet if the thing is to make PPUs life easier, but keeping them in an active role, I'd rather say that buffs would be better working as some sort of Team-Effect auras/sactums, only affecting those teamed with the PPU. Then instead casting it on ALL team members, the PPU could just cast it over himself and all his team getting the buff. Still, unlike with your S/D suggestion, I don't see any problem in just increasing the durations all over, without any tweak.

Drugs of same type non stackable... I'm sure many PEs will hate you right now. I respect your idea tho. About the durations, I agree that drugs should last more time, but their side-effects (e.g. cold turkey) should be harsher. Get rid of that drug flash damn... add true addictions and perhaps hallucinations.

Summary:

- Shelter & Deflector durations: I would not like it without a tweak to prevent abuses like Shadow Dancer said, or even buffbots.
- Buffs durations: I like it.
- Drugs non stackable: I hate you now :p
- Drug durations: I like it.

Shadow Dancer
28-07-04, 00:41
omg Sleawer, I LOVE the idea of shields lasting a long time but collapsing if you take too much damage.

Who can disagree with that? :p

Clownst0pper
28-07-04, 00:46
omg Sleawer, I LOVE the idea of shields lasting a long time but collapsing if you take too much damage.

Who can disagree with that? :p

Myself? sort of

A PPU should have a limited capacity of spell distribution.

So many shelters, deflectors, primes.

They stay on permanently on the few they are given to until they die, or say after 30minutes, however, if the PPU dies, all buffs vanish and then have to be reaplied.

Works fucking amazing in DAoC.

The PPU would have a new "healer window" which shows what buffs are on which of the players hes handed them to.

Koro : Haz, Melee, S,D
Biccy : S,D

"Capacity maxxed"

or something :rolleyes: mm im tired

Dribble Joy
28-07-04, 00:52
Re. spell over rides.

It should be implemented with the following restrictions.
Self buffs override all foreign casts.
Foreign casts can be overriden by a higher lvl forgiencast.

Thus a PE/PPU cannot be n00b sheltered if he has a self cast shelter running, and if he does not, he can override it with his own spell.

A n00b sheltered APU can have a holy shelter foreign cast cast on him.

This doesn't make PPUs any stronger as such, it just puts us back to where we were before n00b buffing.

Re. spell times.
Dunno.

Sleawer
28-07-04, 18:25
The "max concentration" system in DAoC is a very good one, but it's poorly handled IMO. Most buffs last permanently until the buffer (cleric, healer, shaman, etc..) dies, and a few others have extense durations.

Buffs, besides what Mythic says :rolleyes: have a considerable impact in the characters' performance, so do here, meaning that most people get second accounts to build a personal buffer, and have it enhance their main playing char.

I like the concentration system, but it's not really necessary if buffs have a duration. What I would like, if those durations are increased considerably, is a side-system preventing buffbots.

The suggestion about making S/D collapse after certain ammount of damage taken, has a double reason for me. For starters it prevents players having shields for one hour, it is restricted to the ammount of hits taken, thus your dodging skills. Second, I consider unfair that a player defense uberizes insanely, to the point that fighting skills mean little, just because he has a PPU on his arse; then I'd like a damage limit so characters are truly rewarded for actually "fighting".

Who could disagree with this? Many people, but especially some PPUs. It would mean that a PPU can no longer stand there with a H. Shelter/Deflector, sitting above a holy heal, and outhealing weapons regardless of the damage taken... he would have to dodge. Good side is that if he's good dodging, shields will last much more.

PS: sorry for the late reply, I'm having a very busy week.